June 30th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/30/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sandy, Atlanta,GA

He should not have taken the law into his own hands. He made a decision to go out and shoot these guys in the back. Right or wrong, they did not have to die.

June 30, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  2. deborah, OH

I can't put myself in Mr. Horn's place–don't know what I would do–it's amazing!

June 30, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Maybe this man misunderstood the law because it clearly states that the threat has to be on your property, not the neighbors.

June 30, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Roberto Lacayo

Roberto-Jacksonville, FLORIDA.

This man did the right thing. Come to my yard and same will happen. They should have not been in his yard and should have not robbed their neighbor's yard.

June 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Ok, I just took care of my neighbors pets while they were gone this weekend and kept watch on their house. Now if I heard something, I would call the police but no way would I kill someone that I thought was breaking in or actually was breaking in. I would let the police deal with that.

June 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  6. Cynthia

After the police told him to stay inside his house – he should have stayed in there.

June 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Joe Horn was an informed citizen and knew the law so I don't see his actions as irrational.

June 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Vincent

He acted within the law ..... so its fine.

But he certainly sounds like he wanted to shoot someone 😛

June 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Cameron Johnson

He walked out into the street, and executed a premeditated, 2nd degree murder on two unarmed men. He shot them in the back.

I am utterly disgusted.

June 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Sara, Oklahoma

Since, I don't really know what Joe Horn was going through, and what the criminals were doing, I feel like he was justified. He was just doing what he thought was right.

June 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  11. EJ (USA)

Good for him. I wish he was my neighbor.

Yeah right. You might have a friend or a family member come over late at night and Joe Horn might blow them away for crossing through his yard to get to your house.

June 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  12. kathy - TN

It's a very tough call. I think it comes down to those people did not belong in his neighbors' home.

June 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  13. MaryEllen Texas

Don't think I have seen anywhere that Joe Horn had state law in Texas.....and I don't think I have ever heard that the robbers made any threats to Joe Horn. First words were Joe to the robbers .... "move and your dead" - and then it seems he acted upon that ....

June 30, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  14. Caroline

I cannot BELIEVE that this jury did not indict this guy. Un freakin' believable. It does not make me think well of Texas, that's for sure.

June 30, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  15. MaryBeth

No, I don't think he was justified. They hadn't threatened him. They were just crossing his property.

June 30, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Brandon - Nashville, TN

There are some elements of the call that make it sound like Horn is a little eager to shoot them, however it should be his right to shoot them.

June 30, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Carl

Joel Horn may have been acting within Texas law, buy people should be held to higher moral standards

June 30, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Tracey - Boston

Erica

LOL, yes Mo's issues are deeper than cake but if it WERE chocolate who knows

June 30, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  19. EJ (USA)

Whoa – that is crazy. I never heard of that Texas shooting story before tonight.

June 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Ed Martinez

Devore, CA is a small out of the way town that is mostly surrounded by hills. It can get very hot there and with this weeks temps slated to be in the 100's, Moe doesn't have a good chance.

June 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Minou, New York City

the man OBVIOUSLY wanted to kill. He belongs in a mental institution for the rest of his life!
    And so does the jury..

June 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Norma

Im from Tx and we have a right to protect our property but to shoot two people on the back is wrong.

June 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  23. Bonnie/St. Louis

Shooting them in the back?

June 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  24. Abayomi

It like six in one hand & half dozen in the other. I would just wish he had wounded them. They couldn't have been coming to him, if they were shot 'in the back'. If coming at him, it would be more justified.

June 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  25. Jolene

I'd hate to be a juror on that case. Talk about mixed feelings! Kudos to the 9/11 operator. He was the true hero!

June 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  26. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Yikes Anderson! Moe's owners may be relieved! Moe needs a chimp psychologist!

June 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  27. MaryBeth

Jeez....weren't the cops on the way? There's a reason why NOT to take the law into your own hands.

June 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  28. Theresa

Good for him. I wish he was my neighbor. I know a few neighborhoods who would appreciate more men like him.

June 30, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  29. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

I truly can't imagine what I would do if I was Joe Horn. Wow.

June 30, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  30. ericacnn

I think moe's issues go much deeper than the cake...

June 30, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  31. Genevieve M, TX

If I was on the jury of the guy who shot the two burglars, I would vote "not guilty" and let the guy go. One can argue that the guy should not have shot the two men, but then if the guys were not committing the crime, then none of this would have happened.

The sad fact is that criminals often have more rights than a victim. Letting the guy go would send a strong message to criminals that people have a right to defend themselves. This being said, I would never confront a criminal unless I absolutely had to.

June 30, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar

I don't understand,
    I wonder Mr. Horn have to protect his home, I thought he have to right shoot 2 robbers before they break in his home. Is there break a law to shoot 2 robbers out side. he dialed 911 to help him.

June 30, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  33. Hannah Storm

Sorry but he should be charged with murder

June 30, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  34. Will, Rochester, NY

Right or wrong, it does seem Joel Horn was acting within the laws of Texas. Of all the states NOT to be caught breaking and entering in...

June 30, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  35. Joanne

I will never go to Texas. Why would I go to a state that legalizes cold blooded murder? That is what it would be in any other state.

June 30, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

why do they now have to play the fear card? we live in a day and age where the american public knows we could be attacked at any time. it is like living in california– there is always a chance of an earthquake, or living in the heartland and dealing with tornadoes. the american people want the candidates to focus on other issues such as gas prices, mortage crisis and education!

June 30, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  37. Saera El Paso, TX

not every animal in the world will beat you up...
    they probably could, but unless you bother them they're pretty peaceful

i kinda feel bad for moe

June 30, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  38. Casey

this 911 call seems to be an interesting story! I'm excited to see everyone's opinon

June 30, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  39. Michael

If Bush and McCain have done such a good job of fighting terror, why would anyone think we would be attacked again? Could it be that we never captured bin Laden or wiped out Al Quida?

June 30, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  40. Stacy

What is Ed's evidence that McCain has an edge on the terror issue?

June 30, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Lori Zibel

awww poor moe.

June 30, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Fear tactics do not work, whether it comes straight from the horse's mouth, or from the horse's surrogates.

June 30, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  43. mollie

i would feel better with mccain as president during a terrorist attack. i agree with lieberman. he's more "ready" than obama in my opinion.

June 30, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Tracey - Boston

What is up with Lieberman??? I thought he used to be a democrat?

June 30, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Erin, Kentucky

Anderson, I remember Moe. When I started watching a new show on animal planet called Chimp Eden I was always nervous that was going to happen to someone on the show! It actually kind of did, someone got a finger bit off.

June 30, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar

Anderson,
    Oh Wow!
    That is so awful! I am sorry for him! Yes I remember Moe. my favorite chimp is so cute.

June 30, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Jolene

Moe, the monkey has issues? It makes you wonder if he's considered dangerous now that he's out and about if you will.

June 30, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Hannah Storm

Oh Moe sounds like a chimp who would be on some 4AM nightmare horror movie....yuck

Always cake not face and fingers 😦

June 30, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  49. EJ (USA)

That's why I stay away from animals Anderson. I don't want to get eaten or beat up or mauled.

June 30, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  50. james jenkins

Long before General Clark made the comment regarding McCain's claim to be qualified for president, I ask many around me, including republicans, how does flying a plane 40 years ago give you qalifications for that office. None had an answer. Additionally, McCain has made no bigger decisions as senator than any other senator.

June 30, 2008 at 10:32 pm |