June 30th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/30/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Tracey - Boston

Anderson,

Maybe the cake was not chocolate???

June 30, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  2. John Silveria

James is right, General Clark has nothing to apologize for. McCain served in the military, that doesnt make him qualified to be Commander in Chief. What about wisdom? Obviously McCain does not have enough or he would not have voted for the war since he supposedly saw the ugly side......

June 30, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  3. andersoncnn

you may remember moe.. he is the chimp who bit off the face and fingers and other body parts of his former owner when his former owner brought him a birthday cake. Moe it seems, has some issues.

June 30, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  4. Shellie

In this day and age I am sure the conversation was either taped or videotaped....we should see or hear shortly after it is "leaked"

June 30, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Francesca Elm

If he escaped from an animal sanctuary, it must not be that nice

June 30, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  6. Minou, New York City

Oh, poor Mo! Can he survive without help out there?

June 30, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  7. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Come home MO!

June 30, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  8. Erin, Kentucky

In response to Cynthia-Out of 43 U.S. presidents, only 15 have no served in the military.

In my opinion, General Clark and the Obama party should apologize for Clarks remarks because it sounded as though he was implying that all McCain had accomplished was being shot down and nothing more.

June 30, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Jeanna

What Clark said is true. I can cook but I may not necessarily be qualified to be a chef.

June 30, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  10. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Leiberman saying there will be a terrorist attack next year is far more concerning than Clark's comments. Unless he has been conversing with Bin Laden, it is clearly fear-mongering.

June 30, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  11. Gary

I am a Vietnam Veteran and I resent and I am deeply offended by Clarks comments as well as Carver's comments.

June 30, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  12. Jon - Melbourne, FL

I love how feisty Carville and Bennett get when they are on together! Such chemistry 🙂

June 30, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  13. JAY

General Clark was wrong because of the way he said it and the arena that was used.

June 30, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar

Erica,
    I agree with you, I hope wil not have to bug on the phone.

June 30, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  15. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, fellow bloggers. It does seem like Wesley Clark took a shot as the opportunity afforded itself, but those kinds of shots go back and forth all the time. Important though to discuss the question of the importance of whether or not its important for a candidate to have served in the military. It's not necessary.

June 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Lynn, Vancouver

John McCain doesn't wear a flag pin and Bennet doesn't have one on either nor do you Anderson. It would be interesting to ask each: Why not? The whole thing is ridiculous. The people who are spreading this and want to believe it wouldn't be voting for Obama anyway.

June 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Gary

Just because Obama can give a good speech does not qualify him for the Presidency.

June 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  18. john-Canada

Bill Bennett should stop this notion that Clinton does no good for Obama.
    this man is one of the most respectable American in and outside of the US.

June 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when Obama and Pres. Clinton were visiting.

June 30, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Whitney

Hi Erica,

I think Bill Clinton should state his support, move in stealth-mode, and stay out of the way. This election shouldn't be about him, nor his wife. It should be about electing our next president.

June 30, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Michael

Yeah, that would have been an interesting conversation between Obama and Clinton after report of how mad Clinton isupposedly s about how things worked out.

June 30, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Shea, North Carolina

I agree Erica I would love to know exactly what was said and if Clinton apoligized to Obama for acting like a child.

June 30, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

I think this Bill Clinton thing has been way too analyzed. If I was Hillary, I wouldn't want my hubby taking up the show after I concede. Bill was right to return to his normal way of life, and allow the Unity event to occur without him. It was Hillary and Barack's moment, not Bill's.

June 30, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  24. John

Erica, I would rather be the bug in the room after he hung up.

June 30, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Minou, New York City

Bill Clinton and Obama are very itinerant people. Maybe the different time zones and the fact that they are so busy was part of the phone call delay?

June 30, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  26. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Bill Clinton and Obama will probably come together for the party. But you can't fault Clinton for feeling his wife should have won. That's just human nature.

June 30, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  27. Melinda

Hi Anderson – snazzy suit! I think General Clark's comment is legitimate. I don't understand what the big deal is...

June 30, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  28. Chuck Eugene Oregon.

Erica, yes your right I would have liked to have heard that converstion too.

June 30, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Maureen T

Good to hear that Bill and Barack finally "spoke"! Where's the picture of the two of them?! 🙂

June 30, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  30. Shawn

More so, when did McCain ever imply that he was more qualified than Obama because he was a POW in war?

Where did this suggestion come? Talking points by the press or comments by either campaign

June 30, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Chuck Oregonian for Obama

I do not get this war mongering fear tactics that is going on today also with this terrorist thing. That is so wrong, and sad. I hope America is smarter than Lieberman and those making those statements think.

June 30, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  32. EJ (USA)

I find this obama-bill clinton call so interesting… would have loved to be the bug on that phone!

Maybe the phone was bugged so we can all get to hear it.

June 30, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  33. Tracey - Boston

I hear you Erica... I wondered what else they spoke about?

June 30, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Nisha from Edison, NJ

I think James Carville and Wesley Clark are both absolutely right.

Clark was not disrespecting anyone, he himself is a retired general! He was just pointing out that using a military record as a qualification for being President is not sound. No one is doubting that McCain is qualified to be President–he certainly is. But serving in the military doesn't mean that he can be President, and that's all Wesley Clark was trying to say.

Critics twist this into "dishonoring" the people who have served our country. How about they cut to the real issues? These are all intelligent men and women, how about they act like it?

June 30, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Hannah Storm

Bill needs to suck it up and get his act together.....Hillary has shown me alot since suspending her campign but Bill not so much

June 30, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Francesca Elm

I think Bill Clinton will join Obama, it's only June/July there is plenty of time

June 30, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

Bill will help him.............but I'm sure Bill wants something in return

June 30, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Catherine

Bill Bennett said that some of the Swift Boat issues were proved to be true. What exactly was 'proved' to be true?

June 30, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Joe

Flag pins. Why do some many people like style over substance ?

June 30, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  40. ericacnn

i find this obama-bill clinton call so interesting... would have loved to be the bug on that phone!

June 30, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

I know plenty of veterans.................but I don't want them to be President. War isn't everything

June 30, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  42. Jackie Crown Point

Clark doesn't need to apologize, he stated a common opinion of McCain. Enough with political correctness.

June 30, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I hope very soon, we can all agree that both candidates are qualified. Let our votes decide. Either one will hopefully do what's best for America.

June 30, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  44. Heather

What is the big deal with the flag pin? I do not see every American wearing one but they look at Obama as not wearing one and saying that he is not patriotic. Does that mean the rest of America is not patriotic because everyone is not wearing one?

June 30, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Shea, North Carolina

I usually don't agree with Carville but this time I actually do. You cannot run for president on military records!

June 30, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar

Hi Erica!
    Happy Monday to you too! 🙂

June 30, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  47. John

I think that the way Clark may have said what he said was a little off-putting, but he is correct: getting shot down does not make someone qualified to be president

June 30, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Mike Bernal

How does Clark's remarks relate to a president who joined the National Guard to keep from serving and a vice-president who took five deferments so he would not have to go to Vietnam.

June 30, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Hannah Storm

I watched Obama's speech at work today (when am I not watching cnn.com LIVE at work :P). I thought it was a great speech. I personally have never questioned Barack or Michelle's patriotism

June 30, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Lori Zibel

see usually i would groan at the comment, "happy monday" but it's summer so I embrace it.

I think Obama really does have a true love for this country, we shouldn't question that.

June 30, 2008 at 10:14 pm |