June 30th, 2008

AC360° Radar for July 1st

Lisa Ort
AC360° Producer

Here’s a look at some of the stories on our radar for tomorrow:

RAW POLITICS: Sen. John McCain will be in Cartagena, Colombia for the next two days.  He’s going to meet with President Alvaro Uribe to discuss narcotics and trade.   Sen. Barack Obama will be in Zanesville, Ohio and will be giving a speech there in the early afternoon.

KEEPING THEM HONEST: Despite a shortage of field officers, the Army has adopted a new policy that West Point graduates can serve their country as professional athletes instead of battlefield commanders. Army football player Caleb Campbell who was drafted by the Detroit Lions is the first beneficiary of the policy, which will allow him to avoid going to war and instead pursue a potentially lucrative career after getting an education at taxpayer’s expanse. At the same time, the Navy is telling St Louis Cardinals draftee Mitch Harris to report for duty. The Navy believes it is inappropriate to let him out of his service. What’s going on here? Why would the Army and Navy be on the opposite side on this issue? Is it because — under pressure to fill the ranks with fresh recruits — Campbell is more valuable as a recruiter than as a platoon leader on the front lines?

CRIME & PUNISHMENT: 40 years ago, actress Sharon Tate was 8 ½ month pregnant and begging for mercy from her “Manson family” killers, including Susan Atkins.  Now, Atkins is begging for mercy. With less than six months to live and her ability to communicate compromised, Atkins is dying of a brain tumor and has requested a “compassionate release” from prison so she can die at home.

HALLOWEEN PRANK HEARING: Scheduled date of court hearing for two police officers accused of unlawful imprisonment. Allegedly the officers took a 14-year-old boy, caught egging cars, and dropped him off in a remote area to teach him a lesson.

BIRMINGHAM CITY EMPLOYEES MOVE TO 4-DAY WEEK: As a gas-saving measure the city of Birmingham will move city employees to a 10-hour 4-day work weeks.

SECOND PHASE OF TRANS FAT BAN COMES INTO FORCE: The next phase of the ban on trans fat served in New York City restaurants comes into effect. On this day “No food containing partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, shortenings, or margarines with 0.5 grams or more trans fat per serving may be stored, used, or served by food service establishments.” The first phase came into effect July 1, 2007.

AND AN INTERESTING TIDBIT ABOUT JULY 1, 2008: At midnight, 2008 will be officially halfway over. 183 days remain in the year. This usually occurs on July 2 but due to the Leap Year it happened a day earlier this year.

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Oscar

Sure why not just shoot people in the back that was robbing your neighbors. But why just stop there why not shooting someone in the back for egging your neighbors house. I mean that is distorying their homes correct ? Now do I have problems with people wanting to kill someone that brakes into THEIR home no. Do I have problems with people living next door coming over shooting people and please lets not forget in the back. Not their fronts but in the back. There was no sign of danger when someone has their back to you. This is just another case of a man or woman who loves their gun to much and wanted to get his hands bloody.

You know everyone jumping up and down saying this man did the right thing. But in truth all he did was open the door for someone esle to do it and this time someone innocent will die. How did he know it was robbers could have just been children hard to see in the dark. Just because he was lucky enough to have guess right doesnt mean it was the right thing to do. Everyone going to be smiling until some moron does the same thing and happens to lets say kill the neighbors kid. Then everyone going to be wanting to kill the neighbor. But what do you expect we do live in the biggest hypocriticly nation in the world.

July 1, 2008 at 9:16 am |
  2. James M Greenwood

If you break the law you may not get caught. These two men were not that lucky. People like this are a "black eye" on our country. This story should be told nation wide to hopfuly convince people who might be considering the wrong path. We have right to bare arms, thank god. Gun laws in this day need to be strict, but be well thought out to do what they should, punish and restrict criminals not law abiding people. I'm sorry these men had to die but they chose their own path. This is not a color or race issue, those of you who think it is need to grow up and focus on what is important, the strength and security of our country for our children and ourselves. The right thing happened our country is stronger and more secure today. Small steps. Wether its two min in a yard or several in a airplane over our great nation. Small steps. If you disrespect our country or our freedom you deserve to be punished and will be. May the god of your choice bless you and our great nation. Thank you for your time .

July 1, 2008 at 6:05 am |
  3. George

The shooting was justified. However he should have aimed lower, like for the lower legs. If he blew a slug or buckshot through their backs I'm sure he could have stopped their thieving and their flight. Take my legs out from under me then have a shotgun in my face? I am playing dead.

July 1, 2008 at 5:51 am |
  4. Shannon Dumdum

4 Day week work will really not save gas and money. Providing mass transport will. Governments should provide bus transport pick-up and return trips to different cities. This will alleviate people from driving around and instead be brought straight to work on time and spend nothing for gas.

July 1, 2008 at 3:33 am |
  5. Shannon Dumdum

Sen. John McCain's strategy may provide him with the winning votes come November if he finds a way to fix or even just a mere step to fixing what President George W. Bush have dug too deep. Narcotics and trade topic with Colombia is a very substantial step for fixing the drug trafficking in the local economy. Sen. Obama needs to talk to the country more which is why he is concentrating on touring around different states. He needs this more than Sen. MacCain.

July 1, 2008 at 3:28 am |
  6. Matthew Smith

Texas law does not say your life has to be threatend before you are justified to use lethal force. Lethal force may be used to protect LIFE and PROPERTY. In the story the criminals were refered to as victims wich is pure bs. They were criminals who CHOSE to steal rather than work and got just what they deserved. The only thing wrong with our justice system is that it has become more concerned with the weldare of the criminals than protecting the law abideing citizens.

July 1, 2008 at 2:37 am |
  7. Mouse Stasel

I say, if you signed up to be a soldier, Pack your bags!

My Brother-in-law was killed on his 3rd tour to Iraq, He left a wife and 3 kids behind. He had a very promising career as a Father and Husband!

If this guy was so gifted, why did he join the Army? He wanted to get an education on my dime and do nothing for it! I don't Think So!

July 1, 2008 at 2:35 am |
  8. Brenda blackwell

AS a person who makes under $10 an hour, I dont want my little valuable stolen nor do I want to be robbed of my privacy.
    If it was more people like Mr Horn. We wouldn't have a over populated prison system. Remember 2 thieves was hung on the (cross)!!!!!!!
    B.S.Blackwell
    Arkansaw

July 1, 2008 at 2:31 am |
  9. CD

Did you know there are 154,000 homeless veterans? 8,000 of those are females veterans. Please stop asking us to PITY you. Stop being so self absorbed in your heroism.

I don’t understand how you can ask Americans to empathize with your capture when your comrades don’t have a place to sleep at night.
    Yes, Senator McCain America’s war hero, your fellow comrades are eating out of the trash can!!

Stop using the POW speeches as a platform for your own political gain. While in Senate you have done NOTHING to help your fellow comrades. Yes, The American homeless veterans who have served in World War II, Korean War, Cold War, Vietnam War, Grenada, Panama, Lebanon, Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan), Operation Iraqi Freedom, or the military’s anti-drug cultivation efforts in South America.
    Are you proud of these statistics?
    Homeless Veterans
    _26% of homeless population are veterans.*
    _33% of male homeless population are veterans.
    _15% served before the Vietnam Era.
    _47% served during the Vietnam Era.
    _17% served after the Vietnam Era.
    _67% served three or more years.
    _33% were stationed in a war zone

Shame on you Senator McCain!!!!!!
    I’m a Woman Marine Veteran, who proudly served her country. I would never turned my back on my fellow comrades. It’s disappointing that I can’t say the same about you.

July 1, 2008 at 2:27 am |
  10. Daniel in Chicago

Oh what a total culture of victimhood this country lives in

1. We have a set of people robbing houses and people getting upset that they were shot WHILE they were breaking the law.

2. Adkins kills Sharon and her unborn baby and now she wants to die calm and happy at home? Sorry Susan, I may not be a Christian but I do feel and eye for and eye is important.

This is pathetic that we live in a place where a criminal has more rights than those whose lives they destroyed or ended.

July 1, 2008 at 2:16 am |
  11. Ade

I think its outrageous that a man can shoot to death two burglars in the BACK and be acquitted of all charges. Since when is the possibility of loss of material belongings equal to the loss of life of a human being, two at that. Let it be understood that in no way do I condone burglary of any sorts, but at the same time, the shooter did not seem threatened by the burglars, and should have waited for the police arrival, or simply fired warning shots in the air. A good neighbor to me would be one that calls the cops if my house was being raided, not shoot to kill. "thou shall not steal" are we also forgetting that "thou shall not KILL" ????? I wonder if the verdict would have been different had the perpetrators / deceased had not belonged to the minority group. I also wonder why did the shooter bother to call 911 in the first place !!!! I am absolutely appalled at the whole incident.

July 1, 2008 at 2:09 am |
  12. Ibn Adaam

In the back, even in the wild west this would be murder, and the shooter would be branded a coward. This man got away with murder and it's a shame that America has come to this. I would like to know the composition of the "Grand Jury". This type of crime ihas become common in the new america. (small a).

July 1, 2008 at 1:56 am |
  13. Thomas P

The fact that both men were shot innthe back lead me to believe they where trying to get away from the shooter.Also, this man left the safety of his home to confront these criminals when the police was already on the way.

July 1, 2008 at 1:54 am |
  14. catherine D

Shooting someone in the back to kill them is very wrong, especially if the person is not on your property. Shooting warning shoots are ok but not to shoot to kill, that is murder. From the tape play, you can hear that the police officer told him not to go outside. I think he should have gotten the DEATH PENALTY, that will send out a message to people that think if they kill anybody, they could go free.

July 1, 2008 at 1:50 am |
  15. lance

This is really sad that today a man can shoot two people in the back and get away with murder. This is something that happened in the 60's and they would get away with it. Well, the race card was played today. If this was a black man shooting a white man he would have gotten the book. There will probably be more deaths in Texas for somenoe walking on their property. Was this a jury trial? If so, what was the race and gender ratio among the jury?

July 1, 2008 at 1:49 am |
  16. Genevieve M, TX

The "Manson Family" showed no mercy in killing people, therefore, Atkins deserves no mercy. She needs to die in prison, the sooner the better.

July 1, 2008 at 12:49 am |
  17. cherry coleman

This comment is for "lone" I do apologize for your house being broken into and I agree with you " thou shalt not steal" and nobody has the right to violate anothers home in such a way. I totally agree with you, however, thats why we have laws, 911, and dispatch, to report these things. What Horn did was wrong. He took the law into his own hands, when it was the law telling him to stay in his house. He if was so law bidding, he would have listened to the law and the law would have done its job in catching these thieves. Horn did the right thing by calling the law but you heard the 911 calls... he had absolutely no respect of the law even though he knew it.

July 1, 2008 at 12:04 am |
  18. Richard

Law enforcement cannnot be in all places at all times. Crime will never be eliminated and each of us has the right and the duty to protect ourselves and our families. I would use a firearm to protect my family. This guy went a step further, but it was not a bad step. It was a step that if all of us took, might actually reduce crime.

June 30, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  19. Dianna Wright

We,Joe public are mad as hell and just ain't going to stand by and take it any more . CRIME!

June 30, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  20. carol kesling

good evening 360. well i do feel sorry for susan atkins, but for the people in sharon tates home did nothing wrong just visiting and enjoying each company, to do the unthinkable killing not only her but her unborn child and the rest of the guests while she beged for her unborn childs life and to continue is unforgivable to me. some times people should pay dearly like those people paid with their lives.its a little to late to take it all back now!!!!!!!!

June 30, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  21. Ione

I wish I had a neighbor that saw the persons that broke into my house and stole many of my valuable stuff. People work so hard for their stuff and it hurts when persons violate your house and possessions.
    If those two men wasn't breaking and entering they would not have been shot "thou shall not steal" if they follow this commandment many people would be alive today. People have a right to protect their property and I think he was just being a good neighbor. We need more neighbors on the look out for burglars.

June 30, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Valli ...Philli

Thats true American Justice when the lives of two young men is not as serious as fighting two dogs>

June 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  23. Annie Kate

I can understand the desire to die at home on the part of Susan Atkins but I remember those murders and no one showed Sharon Tate or her guests any compassion.

I live in Birmingham and I hadn't heard the 4 day work week for city employees until I read it here!! I guess CNN does get all the news first!!

Annie Kate