June 27th, 2008

Witness to history: North Korea destroys nuke tower

Today North Korea destroyed a water cooling tower at a facility where officials acknowledge they extracted plutonium to build nuclear weapons, CNN's Chief International Correspondent Christiane Amanpour reported from the scene. Wanted to share two clips with you today:

Here is the footage from the demolition:

WATCH CLIP

_______________

...Here's a vlog from CNN's Christiane Amanpour, sharing what it was like to watch history being made in Yongbyon, North Korea.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Christiane Amanpour • North Korea
  1. MAJ Etienne

It is a step in the right direction but let us not celebrate too soon. North Korea has a way to go to comply with other active nuclear reactors.
    U.S should not be easily fooled by this. I am a strong advocate of diplomacy first but it must be consensual. North Korea does not seem to be interested in U.N interest so don't quite pop the champagne bottle yet.

This view is my personal view only and I do not represent the Army views.

June 28, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  2. Oscar

So they blew up the tower to a nuclear power planet. Still doesnt mean they are giving up the nuclear weapons they already made from that planet. So they let a few reports view it and this makes them moving in the right direction ? Why didnt they give a full account of all there nuclear plants, weapons etc etc which they didnt.

Guess we can jump for joy now.

June 27, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  3. Annie Kate

I've never known when North Korea wasn't on the list of "evil" nations. This event brought about by careful diplomacy and a realization of all our common interests and needs is monumental – on the scale I think of when the Berlin Wall came down. Now what stage is it that we get to bring our military personnel home from Korea?

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 27, 2008 at 8:38 pm |
  4. Peter O"Donnell

Could take a couple of weeks to rebuild that tower next month.

- Peter O'Donnell
    - Burnaby, BC Canada

June 27, 2008 at 7:25 pm |
  5. Melissa

I heard on KFI this morning that the State government of Korea has not released to their media that this happened. Why would they blow up a nuclear plant and not let their citizens know?

June 27, 2008 at 7:19 pm |
  6. frieda

Our world is safer becuase of this action.

Shouldn't media give,at least , a little credit to Bush and Rice?

Syria and Korea are now in our cornet (kind of , sort of)...another sign that Iran is being isolated big time

June 27, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  7. Sarah

I saw Christiane's report from North Korea last night. I am very glad to know that the nation has agreed to get rid of its WMD's. I am also very glad that our nation did NOT back down until North Korea actually followed through with the promise. In this day and age, words must be followed by actions.

Christiane......GOOD WORK!

June 27, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  8. Sabrina in Los Angeles

I think we should take out all of the nuclear towers and plants around the world; We need to find a cleaner energy source and not have such dangerous weapons facilities.

June 27, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  9. J. Pfalser

I have never known North Korea to do anything for Good Will sake. Where's the new tower at or has Syria or Iran promised them something in exchange for their radioactive good. They could care less about what the US things.

June 27, 2008 at 6:07 pm |
  10. Greg O

And isnt it amazing that this has happened on GW's watch and not Clinton"s, Obama's or McCain's. I know it only takes one ball to play basketball, baseball, or football but it takes two balls to be a true leader!!! Thanks George W. Bush

June 27, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  11. E. Griffin

It is great to see that diplomacy has got us to this significant step.

June 27, 2008 at 5:05 pm |
  12. JC- Los Angeles

Since Michelle Obama believes that a man's true character can only be deciphered on a basketball court and since North Korea has now demolished a nuclear facility, I'm hopeful Michelle will schedule a basketball game between her husband and Kim Jong Il; I would pay to see Obama post him up. Michelle could make it a tour; after Kim Jong Il, her husband could drive the lane against Hamas, Al Qaeda, Hezbollah and the Abu Sayyef.

June 27, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  13. Cindy

Watching them blow up that cooling tower was cool!! At least it is a step in the right direction in N. Korea doing away with their nuclear program. But what I am wondering is what are they going to do with the plutonium that they already have!? Who will get it? The US, GB, who? And then where are they going to store it?

Cindy...Ga.