June 27th, 2008

There is substance here, somewhere

Candy Crowley
AC360° Correspondent

Touchdown Manchester.

Apparently nothing untoward happened on the plane because now they are riding in an RV together. Yet another lost opprtunity for a hidden tape recorder.

BTW; the campaign says they absolutely positively did not plan to have his tie match her suit.

He laughed.

I pressed another for news of any day.

Noper

On cell now to see if i can find any..

We are off-a 16 vehicle motorcade not counting the new hampshire state police escort

Hour and a half drive to the Unity for Change rally in Unity, New Hampshire...in accidentally matching outfits.

Methinks they doth try too hard. It's giving me a sugar high.

Filed under: Candy Crowley • Raw Politics
  1. Greg O

You all better realize who pay the most taxes in this country and it isnt blacks and women. How long do you think White men of European ancestry are going to pay taxes in America when taxation without representation hits them? The socialist views of Obama may sound good to minorities and college kids but when achievement no longer counts because taxes eat up income who is going to go bust their ass when their income is re-distributed? Be ready for the tax revolution because if Obama wins it will come and who will fund the government then?

June 29, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  2. Julie San Diego, CA

Andre, I get away with pink all the time.

"Pink" is the secret weapon of women who know they can't say the same thing a man says without appearing too opinionated, overbearing, or unfeminine.

Sometimes you have to wear a little pink so you don't scare the hell out of everyone.

Love your name, by the way. 🙂 It sounds like music.

June 29, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  3. Julie San Diego, CA

Yea Candy!

Thank you for being honest – "no story today, let's run coverage of something viewers need to see to stay informed; even if it's outside of the political arena."

Good movie editors know this intuitively. Knowing what to cut can make or break the finished product; a product that can be a $100 million gamble nowdays.

Now that we've got our presumptive candidates, let's corner them, do a full court-press, do whatever it takes to get them to surrender the info voters need to decide "McCain or Obama in November?".

Here's my personal list:
    1. Name your Vice Presidential running mate.
    2. Name your cabinet.
    3. Detail your mid-East strategy, including a timetable for troop withdrawal if that's included in your strategy.
    4. State your philosophy on universal health care, defend your position, and if your plan costs money, tell me EXACTLY how you're going to pay for it.
    5. Tell me, Jane Voter, how my life is going to be better, if I vote for YOU.

If you need help in tackling John/Barack and holding them down 'til they cry "Uncle, Uncle, Uncle" – I'm there.

I'm so sick of this election 😦

June 29, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  4. Esbee C.

@JC

Your metaphor is understood–however-Hillary Clinton may be many things, but a woman in need of a "Sugar Daddy" is not one of them.

I believe Senator Clinton is fully capable of paying her campaign debts out of her own pocket-should she need to do so. Yet, I am sure her supporters are willing to show their appreciation for a job well done.

And for the record, my intuition tells me that Barrack Obama would not appreciate being likened to a "Sugar Daddy"

If he does get a thrill out of it, then we are in very big trouble.

June 28, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  5. Judy M., Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Curtis M. and Ann I think you both missed the point in Candy's report. She tried very hard, contacting sources and the official spokespeople. They had No substance to offer on this date about this event. Candy is a premiere journalist on any channel. You need to listen more carefully to see the caliber of her work compared to others. They are not all the same. Obviously the campaign didn't want reporters talking about issues today – they wanted all the press to report on the joint Unity rally and on the co-operation between Hillary and Obama.
    Candy I love your work. You always have just the right amount of objective analysis in addition to clearly presenting the full picture.
    Thanks Candy !!

June 28, 2008 at 6:51 pm |
  6. Minta

JC-right–uh wrong.

It is inappropriate as well as ridiculous to state that Senator Clinton spent with no way to repay.

Likewise, it is absurd, not to mention disgusting, to equate Obama to a sugardaddy.

I think you have confused intellect and intuition with cynicism.

June 28, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  7. Andre R. Newcomb

At least the suit wasn't pink.

June 27, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  8. JC- Los Angeles

Minta, open your eyes; the debts incurred by Hillary are reflective of what's going on across the nation; no judicious restraint; just spend, spend, spend and then cozy up to someone and try to get them to pay off your debt. Consumer spending reached unfathomable levels with millions of people now walking from homes. When our public figures spend like there's no tomorrow and then expect their competition to bail them out, it's the wrong message. I guess our leaders expect us to pass along our nation's debts to the the next generation. Try to think metaphorically, Minta. As for my intuition and intellect, they have been spot on for all my years. My intuition tells me you might just get it.

June 27, 2008 at 8:46 pm |
  9. Annie Kate

Matching outfits? Does that make them appear more unified or just color coordinated? I wonder how long Obama thinks he needs Clinton before he kicks her under the bus? I think Clinton's time would be better spent doing her day job in the Senate rather than stumping for Obama.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 27, 2008 at 8:23 pm |
  10. Minta

Uhh JC--what???? Your intuition and sparkling intellect are shocking.

June 27, 2008 at 7:55 pm |
  11. mama sue from chicago

Everyone is trying to make something symbolic about him asking her to stand with him on the stage after she introduced him. I think he was just warning her that the stool was wobbly. They joked about her falling off the stage, and I'm sure he didn't want that to happen! Not that I think he really cares about her, but before the day was over the her supporters would claim he pushed her! Unity? Maybe. Trusted Friends? Not yet...

June 27, 2008 at 7:24 pm |
  12. BJeanne

I concur with both Ann and Curt M.! Can CNN just stop repeating, repeating, repeating???????????

Also, I believe that everyone would be better off if Bill would just stay out of the way! He made too many faux pas' during his Hilary campaign tenure. I believe that we should all be honest and admit that he would not be an asset to either Barack or Hilary or the Democratic Party during the final campaign period.

June 27, 2008 at 4:46 pm |
  13. Ann

I concur with Curt M.

I guess FACTUAL and UNBIASED reporting does not translate to high viewer ratings. Additionally, one needs fodder to fill up 24/7 reporting. I am disillusioned and disappointed in CNN's obvious journalism trend towards sensationalism. When they initially commenced broadcasting, what a breath of fresh air!! What happened to your core business plan!!???

June 27, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  14. JC- Los Angeles

I love your search for substance; hilarious to even try to get substance from politicians; ask Hillary how it feels to be the poster girl for today's America: see something you want; rack up massive debt loads; have no way of paying them off; and then trying your best to get a sugar daddy to pick up the tab; I believe that accurately sums things up here in America.

June 27, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  15. Curt M.

Are there any reporters left that care about, well, reporting anymore? Most of you think we care about whether Hillary and Barack like each other and/or are able to unify their supporters. That's all I heard today after CNN's coverage. Did anyone learn journalism from anyplace other than putting together the High School yearbook? We could care less about such drivel and speculation. What we care about is the ISSUES they care about, and how those are either the same or different than Senator McCains. Can you please report on THAT and make it simple enough so we can all get our heads around it? If you really want to be the best political team on television, then DO THAT. Leave the rest to the rags at the checkout stand.

June 27, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  16. Janna

Hahaha, thanks for taking us along for the ride, Candy 🙂 I have a sneaking suspicion that the substance part of this story has already been explored to it's limits tho...We do thank you for being there and keeping us entertained anyway.

June 27, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  17. Kristen- Philadelphia, PA

Wow Candy, you mean not one roll of the eyes or even a shoulder snuff. lol.
    Well guess they are doing a good job of publicly being united, maybe in time that will come full circle or maybe they truly have mended fences. Who knows as long as we win in November who cares?

Guess no substance is nice for one day. I will take no substance over ignorant comments any day. Good luck with that long car ride.

June 27, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  18. lary waldman

Impeachment, until it is embraced as a possability by the Media, it will not gain any legs. Don't you think it is about time that this option be explored. I bet that the majority of Americans would like to see Bush and Chaney in a jail cell at the Hague. For crimes against humanity, and perhaps murder.

Lary Waldman

June 27, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  19. Minta

methinks sotoo. You do such a nice job.

June 27, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  20. frieda

Candy, feel sorry that you have to cover this nonsense.

Matching sweaters!!! I am sweating the match ...heh

I watched both of them, not once Hillary said. Obama CAN be the greatest president!! Now I see the similarites, they are both very good liers..how sad.

Did you guys asked her about the "red phone" and how Obama is supposed to answer it?

June 27, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  21. Len

"I have failed you, dear reader–i tried for substance. I asked a top advisor for the substance of the day."

So what else is new? Lack of substance is SOP at CNN.

June 27, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  22. Suzy

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the tie-outfit matching! It was really going to make me ill if that had been on purpose.

June 27, 2008 at 1:47 pm |
  23. Cindy

Candy,
    So they are now wearing matching tie and pants suits huh!? LOL Yep...seems like they planned it to me! God...I hope they aren't starting doing that now! LOL If so I'll have to agree with ya...they are trying WAY too hard for unity!

Cindy....Ga.