June 27th, 2008

The Fall…and Rise of the Clinton Empire

Tom Foreman | BIO
AC360° Correspondent

Just when you thought it was safe to watch political news again, take a look at those pictures of her and Obama standing hand in hand, and brace yourselves, Hillary haters.

All of you out there who are celebrating because her campaign is over, all of you who danced in your living rooms when she made her concession speech, all of you who said “Finally, the era of the Clintons is over.”

And all of you whose hearts were broken by her defeat; raise your eyes.

Because many political watchers here in DC are convinced Hillary Clinton is emerging from this election stronger than she went in, despite her loss... And they’ve got about 18 million reasons to think that way. 18 million voters chose her over Barack Obama. Think about that. Even in a country as large as ours, that is a staggering number of people, and in Washington that translates into clout. In every state where she won big, elected Democrats took notice. Now watch what happens. When those Dems are seeking re-election or grappling with big issues, odds are her name will be riding high on their Outlook contacts list.

All that cheerleading she is doing for Obama, brings some spoils of war with it. Insiders say former Clinton staff workers are taking new positions within Camp Obama every day. Her biggest supporters and donors are slowly stepping up to shake his hand. She is walking alongside him, and with every step she is gaining influence, respect, and power in the next administration if Obama wins the White House.

If she had lost badly, she would be scrabbling around for crumbs. But she played him to a near tie in the popular vote, and that is something that no one in the Democratic Party dares to ignore. If Democrats want to beat the Republicans, (and they do!) they suspect the Clinton Seal of Approval must be stamped on a fair amount of all that happens until November.

Because with that seal (and forgive me for bringing up the now sensitive subject of seals) comes access to the Clinton political machine; top level operatives who know how to rally support in the states where Obama did not connect so well, and with constituencies that he makes uneasy: Latinos, older working class voters, and some women. With Clinton approval comes experience in running a general election campaign against the Republicans; remember, Obama has never done that before and primary battles, like the one he just waged, are wholly different affairs. And with Clinton approval comes the former president, Bill Clinton. It is not yet clear, precisely, what role he will play, and considering all the kerfuffle he raised around his wife’s campaign, Obama may be understandably cautious about how he is deployed…but it is certainly better for Obama to have him on his side.

Make no mistake about it, Obama won the nomination. He came from absolutely nowhere to knock off a sure winner (that would be her,) and stun the Washington power players. He’s not about to give her a co-presidency now. Even all that talk of a Vice Presidential slot has grown muted.

But Hillary Clinton is, as it seems the Clintons always do, rapidly turning her defeat into political cabbage; chopping it ten different ways, slathering it with the sauce of consolation, rearranging it on the Capitol platter, and guess who looks like she is eating steak again?

18 million voters have a way of sweetening the deal for any politician, whether or not he or she ultimately wins the race.

The Clinton Empire over? The political oracles in DC are whispering: Don’t bet on it.

Editor's note: See Tom anchor This Week in Politics saturday 6PM and Sunday 2PM ET. This week, a special edition: The Clintons: what's next?

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics • Tom Foreman
  1. Thomas

Why is it that those 18+ million dieheart Hillary supporters don't donate $1 each to get her out of debt?

June 28, 2008 at 8:10 am |
  2. Henry

If Obama is smart he would pick Hillary for VP dont let his know nothing supporter fool him into losing his only chance to become the leader of this country by picking some else that's lest than Hillary. That would be a BIG MISTAKE and i will never, never, never,never vote with the democratic party again. Fl.

June 28, 2008 at 8:05 am |
  3. AJ

I despise Obama. He will run this contry farther into the ground. He is campaigning on nothing but fairy tale rhetoric and arrogance. I will watch with glee as his failed presidency brings down the disgusting democratic leadership that has put him where he is. G.W. Bush is a disgrace, Obama is worse. His blind ambition and avarice are plain to see, he has his own best interestsat heart, not the interests of the nation. Senator Clinton would have been the wise choice. Now America deserves what America gets.

June 28, 2008 at 8:03 am |
  4. Brian

I can't believe there are so many cool-aid drinkers out there. If the Clintons are all the better we cough up as a nation, as leaders then our best years as a nation are behind us.

June 28, 2008 at 8:02 am |
  5. jose

This post is full of people saying that they will vote mccain. Don´t worry democrats, and make no mistake: they are republicans! its just another nasty tactic to get hillary suporters think that they are "right" if voting mccain, trying to capitalize their broking hearts. There´s no hillary supporters movement however, people aren´t stupid, they know where Mcsame stands on the issues.

Don´t let republicans fool yourself

United for change!

June 28, 2008 at 8:02 am |
  6. JonPeter

If you are going to talk about HRC's 18 million votes, you should talk about Obama's 18.2 million or so votes as well. The Clinton camp makes it sound like they are the only one who gather a large group of supporters.

To be fair to Hillary, she isn't Bill and ahe will folow her own path. Following the Clinton strategy probably cost her the nomination more than any of her other mis-steps. I see HRC being more of a team player than Bill could ever be and a strong leader within the democratic party. The Clinton's as a pair are finished and people are getting tired of Bill but HRC has just begun her own chapter.

June 28, 2008 at 7:57 am |
  7. Thomas Lang

Shame so many women feel this way. To the woman who just posted before me, first off I am about 38 years old and find going to college very expensive. I cannot even think I will be able to break into any profession. I got good grades and that, but some of the Ivy league schools wont even take me. I see more women breaking into professions than I can dream in my lifetime. They got accepted over me and I served my country. I think Obama earned his way thru the ranks like Clinton did. I think by voting for McCain your only mortaging your daughter's future and freedoms and dreams by voting for him. I used to be a Republican up till 2 years ago and decided to go Independant because I did not like what I saw and learned about its history. As much as Hillary did not get it, she may still get selected as VP and then down the road run for president again. Give Obama his due as I feel he played by the rules.Like the saying goes in my generation and younger, don't hate the player, hate the game.

June 28, 2008 at 7:56 am |
  8. Yourm Omsacund

Unfortunately, I know how to spell, type, read and write semi-fluently. If I didn't I would fit right in here. This forum is like a playground for the bratty kids at an upscale exclusive school. Sorry folks, no one here is going to hold your hand or powder your butt, so you should probably think about removing your head from it and get back to class. Did this comment make any sense? Absolutely not.

My point? None of your comments make any sense. Everyone is "the man" (or woman) when they are sitting behind a monitor in exclusivity. You want to really be heard? Shut up. Don't go to the polls. Don't vote just for the sake of voting. Your absence will be felt.

Casting your vote off to another party's candidate to "get even" makes about as much sense as driving 30 miles from one side of a city to another just to save 5 cents a gallon on gas. It's moronic, it's not well thought out and it pollutes the air I breathe with your existence.

Just shut up. Place your vote if you feel you need to when the time comes. Until then, we'd all be better served if you'd just hold your breath. I know I would and so right now I'm going to take my own advice and shut up.

June 28, 2008 at 7:52 am |
  9. starchild

dear Teresa, how sad . how can you support an believe in HRC an the vision that she wanted to bring an then say that you will vote for mc.cain because she did not win. sounds like you are helplessly self defeated an giving up. don t think HRC would take that stance.if voting for mc.cain will relive you of the apparent bitterness that you have then so be it . do that . be carefull what you tell your daughters, i have 4 an i have noticed that they have a way of thinking for themselves an most stories become THE TALES MY PARENTS TOLD ME. the truth survives

June 28, 2008 at 7:51 am |
  10. Jimmy Laing

Well,Teresa, you vote for whoever your little heart desires. But when John McCain takes away your right to choose, and you have a little "accident" you be sure to name it after him. Have a great day!

June 28, 2008 at 7:43 am |
  11. John

Teresa, how was Hillary undermined when Obama had his 100+ delegate lead by February at which point Hillary really couldn't catch up given the proportional nature of the democratic primary process?

And lets remember that Hillary, back in 2007, was the presumed nominee of the democratic party, but she wasted money on non-essential things and merely assumed that by Feb 5th she would be the nominee (You can check the interview she did with Katie Couric) so she didn't have a strategy post Super Tuesday, but Obama did and worked incredibly hard and won primary after primary and caucus after caucus (12 in a row I believe).

So really I don't see how Hillary undermined when she was never going to lead in delegates after Obama's winning streak of around 12 wins even after the delegates from Florida and Michigan were seated.

June 28, 2008 at 7:42 am |
  12. Jane

I am an independent and I would consider voting for Hillary or McCain. With Hillary out, McCain is my choice. DNC just can't spoon feed their pick to me. Since all three candidates are true politician, I may as well vote for someone who has experience, integrity and service record to this country. That is Senator McCain.

June 28, 2008 at 7:41 am |
  13. Bill

Obama will lose in November and Clinton will win 4 years later. It's that simple.

June 28, 2008 at 7:35 am |
  14. carolflowery

After observing the two together yesterday at Unity, she was the one with class. She was the one who put everything into concise words
    and I love the way she can always add humor to any situation.
    Hillary Clinton should have if she could have taken this all the way to the floor in Denver because she is the one who gave him all his ideas on everything, period. He just can't hold a candle to her.

June 28, 2008 at 7:31 am |
  15. fernando

im one of the 18 million you want to count me out they got to be crazy if obama dont make up his mind soon and makes hillary vp weres she ot to be them you know what i wont waist mi gas come november prices are to high hillary vp now!!!!!!!!!!!

June 28, 2008 at 7:31 am |
  16. Pauline

I heartily agree with Teresa's comments. So many women are furious that the boys in the Democratic party ganged up against Hillary so their male power wouldn't be diluted by a woman president. And Obama won mostly because the alliance between sexist media and the democratic male elites (and a few women). In addition all the woman-haters, especially young white and black men, gravitated to Obama's camp. As a woman I can't be excited about another man winning at the expense of women, even if he is a Black man.

Imagine if Hillary had won as a result of a racist media and Democratic racist elites all ganging up on him. Do you think African Americans would be supporting her if she won through racism? The same is true for many women: no matter how "progressive" Obama seems, he still won through sexism, misogyny, and male privilege, and women won't forget no matter how many times Hillary is "forced" to appear with him.

June 28, 2008 at 7:20 am |
  17. jimbo

If Obama does not pick Hillary for VP he will lose the electoral college. 18 million supporters are NOT going to back him – maybe some but not all... but with Hillary on the ticket he stands a good chance of winning many states. His supporters may grumble about Hillary but they will not switch to McCain. Many of Hillary's supporters WILL switch over if she is not chosen. Paying off an opponenets campaign debt is nothing new so you folks who have your panties in a wad need to cool off !!! Bam Bam needs Hilary -she doesn't need him. She has proven it by her appearances for him and her great attitude and she has gained alot of respect. Her supporters can help pay off her debt– she doesnt need Obama. However she is smart enough to use that as a bargaining chip to do what Bam Bamwants her to do- namely campaign for him and woo her supprters over to his side. She should not be expected to do that without a price tag involved. The Clintons will rebound and many of you should just hope our country gets back to the great shape it was in during the Clinton administration !!!

June 28, 2008 at 7:18 am |
  18. Arlene

When was the last time we had two intelegent, dynamic politicians representing both women and minorities seek the highest office in America? If we let this opportunity slip away we will pay the price for many years to come. Our support for candidates must be based on their position on issues, not how they walk the red carpet. Setting aside personal misconduct, the Clinton Presidency served us well. I'm proud that Hillary represents me as my Senator and I would like to see her become part of the Democratic ticket.

June 28, 2008 at 7:14 am |
  19. Lindsey

I don't like Hillary but I've got to hand it to her.... she bitterly held on until the end and still comes out smelling like a rose. The Clintons are two of the most resilient politicians in the modern era. They don't just survive scandals, difficulties and defeats... they thrive.

June 28, 2008 at 7:06 am |
  20. Tom

There are at least two myths here. The first is that Hillary did not get 18 million votes. "The Clintons" got 18 million votes and that is significant. Many of her votes were for Bill and the memory of the 1990's. Even her most loyal supporters would refer to "The Clintons" when appearing on the news shows. So, it begs the question: who was the real candidate? Hillary, Bill or Billary?

The second is that she lost due to sexism. This is just false. There is no question that people voted for Bill and sometimes Billary. Hillary would never have gotten nearly without running as "The Clintons" and she lost because people recognized this candidacy for what it was. An attempt to put the Clintons back in office and not to elect Hillary. In the end she tried to have it both ways and it failed. The era of the Clintons is over and this country should not have or embrace royalty and it time to move on.

It is also hard to understand how she is being allowed to exploit the sexism charge. Her campaign was only possible because of Bill and she can not claim the mantle of a self-made woman who was denied the big prize. That was low and undermines the women in office who earned the right to be there and stand on their own names. Can anyone name "Mr. Feinstein", "Mr. Hutchison", "Mr. Collins" what they do for a living or even if there is one? I cannot, but these are all US Senators with great accomplishments and that is all the difference in the world.

June 28, 2008 at 7:03 am |
  21. Antonio Diaz

Hillary Clinton should be the VP. If doesnt happen to be that way, MANY of her voters will go for McCain. That's is a FACT, my friends.

Obama/Hillary '08

June 28, 2008 at 6:36 am |
  22. ken

I hope they are around. How could you not like them even if you are Republican. The Bill was in....he took over a deficet and made it a surplus,,,,,people were working.........the stocks were up.......the biggest thing any worried about is if Bill was getting any.......Wow that's really serious news......ya right.......you have a president here.....that has lied/misled us into war. killed our kids and innocent otthers for the energy giants. He walks around with a smile because he has accmomplishe his job. Remember....he is not here for the middle class america. He has accomplished it for the energy giants and all his cronies. Give me the Clintons anytime.

June 28, 2008 at 6:32 am |
  23. heidi

"The Change WE can believe in"

It not just the fact that a woman and an African- American ran for President of the United States that makes this election year out of the ordinary but the fact that one of them was able to acheive the nomination for major party is a testament of change (literally)! I supported Barack but, I will admit I missed Hillary over the last few weeks and was glad to see her back on the sceen. She is a fighter and despite what happen on the campaign trail, I think she is an awesome woman and leader. Nobody is perfect. This woman is strong and a force to be reckon with. It seems that Barack may be too difficult for those stuck on stupid or hatred to figure out (just my opinion). They are trying to label a person that is fully capable of defining themselves. Perhaps if they spent less time tearing him down and focus on the issues, people would understand him more accurately. For example, they claim he is the most liberal democrat but, he seems to be moderate to me with his latest voting record.

It seems like people like a good fight and the Clintons are superior at it but, at this moment in time we need more than old style politics. It is time to move on. As a nation we can not grow in Gridlock. There are too many issues facing this nation that must be addressed. The needs of the people are going unmet while Washington is catering to big businesses and special interest groups (the greedy). I strongly believe Clinton must stay in the fight but perhaps she must come from a different angle or maybe not.

June 28, 2008 at 6:21 am |
  24. JohnBoy

Tax the Rich, pay off Hillarys debt.

June 28, 2008 at 6:16 am |
  25. Kevin

Shouldn't they have met up in a town called Bribery?

June 28, 2008 at 5:57 am |
  26. Sandee Portland, Or

Teresa, go ahead and vote for McCain. I, too am an educated white female who would like to see a female become President; however, I do not want to see a dynasty formed. The Clintons had their time in politics, now it is time for some newbies to join the fray. As an educated woman, I honestly do not see how you could possibly vote for McCain if you are a Hillary supporter. He is against everything the Democrats and Hillary stand for. If you are such a feminist, why would you vote for someone who will reverse Roe vs. Wade and take away your female rights.

June 28, 2008 at 5:40 am |
  27. Ron

For nearly a half a century the democrats have been promising help to the lower class poor, well where is it.certainly not in upstate New York where Hillary is supposed to be senator, still waiting for all those jobs you promised. Obama/Clinton-The PipeDream team

June 28, 2008 at 5:34 am |
  28. stOOpid

Female or not she is the most tenacious politician in the history of our great democratic experiment. Traits of a true leader & more importantly a great president. For the first time in my adult life I went into the voting booth to vote along party lines & voted from the gut...it was an easy decision...she earned it.

June 28, 2008 at 5:23 am |
  29. Ruben & Dianne

With Hillary in the ticket there is no way to stop Obama to be President.

Go Hillary!

June 28, 2008 at 5:12 am |
  30. rezn

Both Hillary and Obama show great character in their pledges for unity. Remember the issues and principles that we are all fighting for. Vote as one and we all win in November.

June 28, 2008 at 4:45 am |
  31. Mel

why do you all hate Hillary, she is doing the best she can to help Obama ....I am a Democrat and voted for Hillary , however I will now donate my money to McCain campaign and my family and friends and I will vote for McCain come general election, then you will know where the 18 millions who voted for Hillary will be....Obama will lose without Hillary!!!!

June 28, 2008 at 4:27 am |
  32. Del

I am a staunch supporter of Hillary Clinton and I still believe that she is much more qualified than Barack Obama. That being said, there is absolutely NO way that I will be voting for John McCain in November. In my mind, that would be like voting for 4 more years of "the Shrub". Since I didn't vote for him in 2000 or 2004, why should I do so now? I will vote for Obama regardless of who his VP nominee is.

I agree that all of the anger, bitterness, etc. needs to be put aside. There is too much at stake to waste time with whining and licking our wounds. Sen. Clinton said as much in her concession speech. Let's take a cue from her & exhibit the same kind of grace & bravery in defeat!

June 28, 2008 at 4:27 am |
  33. SLK

Its a shame that there are still Democrats (Obama Supporters) who are clinging on to the camp politics even at the time when the party is talking Unity. I forsee a situation where Obama loses and Hillary getting herself ready for 2012, not because I wish him bad, but that his followers continue to devide the electorate that is much needed for Obama. Its a fact that 18 million voters voted against Obama. It will take maturity in the part of his supporters to get a slice of that 18 million.

June 28, 2008 at 4:24 am |
  34. Claire

Why are people still blaming Obama for winning? He ran a competent, impressive grassroots campaign and played by the rules all along. And that was in spite of the bigotry and smear campaigns against him, and a lot of bad press (eg., endless coverage of the Wright and "cling" episodes.). There was no ole-boys conspiracy.

Democrats should unite today. Obama needs Democrats' unified support from now until November and Hillary will need it for any future runs.

June 28, 2008 at 4:21 am |
  35. Amanda

I am shocked that people with such strong opinions can't even write their opinions in proper English. Please, Obama, work on education. This proves that we need it.

June 28, 2008 at 4:20 am |
  36. Duke

You Americans are really something! All Barrack did was come up with a catchy slogan that everyone liked! what did he actually say... Nothing!! I love how people say " Bill Clinton inherited a good economy" you should all thank Bill for the best 8 economic years of your lives. Everywhere Bill goes outside of the US he sells out; he did a speaking tour of Canada where he was selling out stadiums, try that with H.W. Bush and see where that goes. You guys had a real winner in Hillary and you blew it; you went for a gimmick not much different than the terminator. Granted Barrack is a good public speaker but a president he is not. I can't wait to see the changes he brings about, my guess is it will be "status quo". Next president in 2012 will be Branjelina with George Clooney as VP!!!

June 28, 2008 at 3:51 am |
  37. Tina

I look at it this way. I am from Ill and I have heard Obama talk about what he has done for Illinois. He has done nothing for us. All you democratcs need to really listen to this man. He is not telling you the truth. He may be a good speaker but he does not have the experience to run this country. You all say Bush has been a terrible president if you think so then maybe you need to run. I would not want the position. He is there trying to defend our country and all we do is put him down. I am a big supporter for CNN but I am very disappointed with them right now. All you hear is about Obama this and Obama that. John McCain is more deserving and needs to be respected more and I could care less who Obama picks as his VP. Voters really need to pay attention to what each Obama and McCain say and then vote. We have a long time until Nov and I for one will not be voting for someone who says they have really helped my state. I live in Southern Illinois and we are the forgotten part of the state. Really only Chicago gets help because we have a gov who gets to live in Chicago instead of springfield and we have Obama for a Sen. I am voting for John McCain because I belive he is a better canidate and he would do a better job running this country. He has the experience and know how to do.

Go John McCain

June 28, 2008 at 3:48 am |
  38. Cindy

Well of course Hillary's smiling, your article hit the nail right on the head. She ran an excellent campaign especially the latter half, but she's happy for a variety of reasons.

For one thing, now she doesn't have to endure the rampant sexist reporting that took place throughout her campaign. The media heaped (un-earned) praise on Obama time & time again, then remarked about her clothes, her daughter, her husband, on and on it went unrelentingly with the media all the while turning a blind eye.

She also doesn't have to play the "bad guy" anymore, McCain will do that for her, pointing out all of Obama's flip flops, short comings, and in short, his weaknesses as a candidate for the highest office in the land.

She's happy not just because of all of the millions who love and voted for her, but also because many Democrats are never going to compromise their principles to vote for Obama. She has to feel flattered by that kind of loyalty, who wouldn't?

June 28, 2008 at 3:39 am |
  39. John Easterbrooke

I have been a keen watcher of the US political scene for years. Being a Canadian I could never understand the supposed hatred that has built up over the Clintons. They are both intelligent progressive people of high ability and the Clinton years were very prosperous for the American people. In contrast to the Bush II legacy, which was at best incompetent, and at worst treachery, what is the problem here? I cannot believe that the majority of the American people actually despise educated people. George bush was an extremely poor example of the best that American can offer.

June 28, 2008 at 3:26 am |
  40. Jane

Hillary is a class act – smart, gracious, witty, and sincere.
    It's odd to read blurbs from Obama Democrats who have nothing but negative things to say about Hillary , a respected member of the Democratic Paty, but then tell Hillary supporters to unite. Would you be uniting around Hillary had she been the nominee?
    I think many people are missing the point about Hillary supporters who will not be voting for Obama. It has nothing to do with being spiteful. Rather, my concern is that Obama is not the best person for the job. Many claim that Hillary and Obama have the same agenda – I'm not sure since we don't see a complete record from Obama due to all of the votes uncast as a Senator. Additionally, while their agendas may be similar, the way that each would go about handling issues is much different. Having Hillary on the ticket makes many of us feel safer in casting a vote for Obama. If she is not on the ticket, I will not vote for Obama – nor will I vote for McCainiac. These are not the only two people running for office!

June 28, 2008 at 3:22 am |
  41. Brodie

Given that there has been less and less talk of the so called "dream ticket" I would not be surprised if that come the convention Senator Obama chooses someone like Wesley Clark as VP and promises Senator Clinton a Cabinet position (Secretary of Health and Human Services or Secretary of State even) to give her something for all the hard work she did in the primary race and to help bring the 18 million democrats that voted for her in the primaries to the polls in November voting Obama. And while I am not a Clinton backer, I kinda hope Senator Obama does this because the Clinton machine is strong in the democrat party and to ignore the power of the Clinton machine could possibly aid the republican party.

June 28, 2008 at 3:17 am |
  42. JAL

The BO supporters are forgetting that it was/is those uneducated working class voters that are the backbone of this country. The lack of a formal education does not make them stupid. To the contrary, I personally trust the opinion of those who have been educated from the school of hard knocks over those who hail from the ivory tower.

BO's resume consists of being a community organizer and as a Senate fence sitter. Sweet tongues in global arenas are plentiful and we need someone who can do more than talk.

I too wish Hillary would run an Independant. I know that she has my vote.

June 28, 2008 at 3:17 am |
  43. Alyssa

Obama and Hillary really aren't the same on the issues...care to know why? Obama incessantly flip-flops. This action occurs on a daily basis. I have NO idea what his real stances are! It's amusing how Obama's stances suddenly change depending upon the crowd he's addressing. I already know the guy is a fraud.

Great! We're stuck with two lousy candidates. I'll vote for the lesser of two evils. At least I know who John McCain is and what he stands for.

June 28, 2008 at 3:10 am |
  44. JC

I'm one of the 18 million who will not vote for Obama, never.
    He is not qualified. He will be the same as Bush - mess up
    our country.

June 28, 2008 at 2:52 am |
  45. Susan, Seattle

Obama needs Hillary. As she alluded to in her speech today, Obama may be about change, but Hillary is about PROGRESS. He will need her in order to effect change so that it can tbe turned into actual progress. She weilds great power with those 18 million voters, who by the way I believe have actually grown in number since the primary began. Obama knows that.

So, yes, he would be wise to choose her as the VP. How could he not sit there today and watch her talk with that crowd, and think to himself, "my god, she really knows how to do this stuff. It is so natural to her." I would love to see them join forces, critics be damned, and create the most dynamic, original, and effective Pres/VP partnership ever....something totally unique. Rewrite the book on this relationship. Make Hillary VP & Health Care Czar. That's a ticket I can get behind with my whole heart. That may be the only way I can vote for Obama, to tell you the truth.
    Go Hillary!

June 28, 2008 at 2:45 am |
  46. Aida

I am so proud of the Clintons and the Obamas for putting their country and their party first by showing us all what unity means...not that I had any doubt that they would do so. Dont' forget that there are always ups and downs to say the least in any family or friendship but understanding and forgiveness is the key. Let us too not forget the wisdom of the verse from the Bible that tells us that a house divided against itself cannot stand.....especially those of us that want to take back the White House in November!!

June 28, 2008 at 2:45 am |
  47. Carol

I continue to be amazed at the devoted Hillary folks who so quickly forgot (or ignored) her description of her Bosnia visit, plus her comment about RFK being "assasinated in June." Hmmm.

June 28, 2008 at 2:13 am |
  48. Andrew MN

It will be funny to see how the anti-Obama supporters act when Obama wins the presidency, and goes down as one of the greatest presidents in history.

I'm sure they'll jump ship and pretend like they never said those horrible things about him...

June 28, 2008 at 2:13 am |
  49. Taco Mac

Nice to see Hillary campaigning with Obama, but the era of the Clintons really is over. And it's not because of Hillary. To be truthful, it's the Bill Clinton era that really is over. Bill Clinton lacked credibility as a Democrat when he gave us NAFTA, the biggest American job-killing program in history. This spot on his record cost Democrats their majority control of Congress in 1994. Today, Democrats have the best opportunity in years to reclaim the mantle of economic protectionism for all of the working people of America, with the ideal presidential candidate in Barack Obama. To Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, and all their DLC cohorts: it's time to get out of the way and start respecting our working people. The Real Democratic Party is back, it's in charge, and it will win in a landslide this November.

June 28, 2008 at 2:11 am |
  50. Kat

Never underestimate the Clintons, they are a tenacious bunch.

Senator Clinton using the VP as a slingshot into the Prez seat?
    Hey, five out the fourteen VPs who became President were elected. It's a possibility.

Sure seems like Obama is leaning towards choosing her as his running mate. I think she'd be more of an asset than a liability as some say.

And I agree with earlier posts, watch out for Chelsea in the future. You'll see her again.

To Hillary supporters who will now vote for McCain: why the "cutting off your nose to spite your face?" Ridiculous. This is why Republicans win and get things done, (whether it makes sense or not), because the majority of the time they appear to band together no matter what. I understand that you may not agree with Obama on certain issues or question the standards of some of his former associates (excuse me but what politician doesn't have some skeletons in the closet) but why switch parties completely? Do you want another 4 years of the same 8 we just had?

June 28, 2008 at 2:09 am |