June 26th, 2008

Evening Buzz: Big Money Meeting

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Just a short time ago, a big money meeting wrapped up between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama with HER cash supporters.  We have exclusive cell photo photos from inside the meeting at a Washington hotel.  And, we're just getting an audio tape of the high-stakes talks.   We'll bring it all to you tonight on 360.  The two are back together in public for the first time since Clinton dropped out of the race. And, they'll hit the campaign trail tomorrow.  But is it truly a united front?  What are your thoughts?  We'd love to hear from you.

Also tonight, the principal of a  Massachusetts high school speaks out.

Does he still stand behind his message that there was a "pact" by several girls to get pregnant.

We'll also have 360 dispatch from North Korea.  Find out why it may no longer be part of the so-called "axis of evil".   And, an election nightmare in Zimbabwe.   President Robert Mugabe insists the vote will go on tomorrow.  His opponent has dropped out of the race and has taken refuge in the Dutch embassy in Harare.  He dropped out due to political violence, intimidation and harassment.  We feel this is story that has to be told.

All these stories and more tonight on 360.  Hope you'll join us at 10pm ET.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Alex

If Obama and Hillary are the "professionals" the pundits claim they are, then John McCain and the Republicans don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning in November. That duo is specifically the reason why Obama is pushing for and assisting Hillary in paying off her debt. United they win...divided....well that could be another story. And I can honestly say, in my opinion, it wasn't Obama that messed over Hillary and Women's chances during the primary, it was the Democratic Party! Boys will be boys!

June 27, 2008 at 9:20 am |
  2. Wanda

Well, I am greatful we are finally getting back to the issues. I will donate to the campaign again. My thanks to Senator Clinton and former President Clinton, my mother was a supporter but now she supports Senator Obama. I believe that we should pull together and make a difference. We see that Republicans are not going to stop at anything in order to win. But we do not have to stoop that low to win. Thanks follow Democratics....

June 27, 2008 at 1:45 am |
  3. Brandon Cooper

if hillary were voted as the democratic representative do you think she would be as open to having Bartake obama on her ticket or helping her with her party? do you guys think she would pay his debts of for him i think Barake is shoing that he knows how to play this game for keeps i honeslty don't t think the clintons would have delt him the same hand had the tables been turned what do you guys think??

June 27, 2008 at 1:44 am |
  4. Brandon Cooper

when will bill clinton speak on what is going on with his wife and Barake

June 27, 2008 at 1:42 am |
  5. Brandon Cooper newly registered voter

I HAVE a big question???? if hillary clinton would have won the race do you think she would be doing as much as barake obama is doing to help him in his debts had he not have won the primar? i am a huge Barake obama suporter and i want to know would she be as helpful and acepting of him on her ticket as he is of her on his ticket???

June 27, 2008 at 1:37 am |
  6. alice

The two of them scare me. So many problems that we are facing, I believe are due to the Dems in congress..

June 27, 2008 at 1:35 am |
  7. Rene

Why would Hillary want to help NObama the con man and racist? He obviously needs her more than she needs him. By Hillary campaigning for him, may help him with some of her contributors but most of her supporters do not trust him and will not vote for him.

June 27, 2008 at 12:33 am |
  8. Utpal Dighe

Any actions and words that Barack Obama takes to help Hillary Cliinton pay off this debt should be welcomed as steps to unify a divided Democratic party. While the behind the scenes meetings are clearly geared to help "woo" the big donators to the Clinton campaign, acts like writing his own check for the individual maximum donation go along way to help with the average voter.

June 27, 2008 at 12:24 am |
  9. JC- Los Angeles

Hillary is a direct reflection of so many Americans today; she figures out what she wants, she runs up massive debts, she has no means of paying off the debt but then tries to get somone else will pick up the tab. If our leaders can't lead by example, they should remove themselves from the public sector. Obama's finances were a mess before he received book advances; if these two can't run their own finances, how are they going to run our nation. Pathetic.

June 27, 2008 at 12:23 am |
  10. James

Pat W from what I understand, Hillary Clinton isn't asking for help repaying her $12 million in loans to her campaign.

June 26, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  11. Carolyn Power

CNN states, day in and day out that you report the best news on cable TV......! HELLO...... I just read on Yahoo news that Obama donated 4600.00 so guess his spouse gave too. When is CNN going to get it right ????

June 26, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  12. James

I'm personally sick of the talking heads on CNN repeatadly stoking the primary tensions between the Obama and Clinton camps. The primary is OVER and the two camps are moving on. You people are nothing but a bunch of instigators.

June 26, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  13. Scott

Looks like another career politician who simply spends money he/she doesn't have in order to pursue their own dreams. Later looking for someone else to pay for it. A clinical term is "diarreah of the wallett". Wonder what the Obama financial statements look like...

June 26, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  14. Von S.

or mccain the same

June 26, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  15. Ron Gray

Anderson,

Just a thought...I believe Bill Clinton hasn't stepped out in order not to up-stage Hillary. It's her time, and Barack's time to unite. Bill Clinton will come out in time...the right time. i also believe if Bill was "out and about on the trail" the media and pundits would be saying he needs to step back, instead of "questioning"..."where is Bill"......give him a break AND time.

Ron Gray
    KY

June 26, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  16. Marilyn C

I think it is important that we do whatever we need to do to come together as a Democratic Party and defeat McCain. I have been an Obama supporter all along, but it wasn't an easy decision. (I'm an older white woman.) I believe that he has an excellent chance of inspiring the country to become far better than it has become. But, I would like to show tangible support for Hilary Clinton, too. It seems to me to be the decent thing to do. Let's come together to show our admiration for her as the first woman to become a viable candidate as the President of the United States.

June 26, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  17. Kissa

As an female, African-American, Air Force veteran I look at this particular election campaign from an interesting perspective. First, it deeply disturbs me that Hillary Clinton's debt is being paid back and that Barack Obama is making "gestures" by personally writing checks to do this. Perhaps if stories weren't circulated months ago on the trail of unpaid campaign supporters in her wake, perhaps if she hadn't resorted to Republican strategies in her attacks, I could understand extending a hand to her. But that simply is not the case.

I am an avid Obama supporter and have supported him since before he entered the contest. Nevertheless, the act of contributing to her repayment fund looks alot like sucking up to a petulant bully whose toy you want to borrow to look good to the rest of the class.
    I understand that we need healing in the Democratic party, but I'm deeply disappointed in the Clintons. I frankly, expected a great deal more from them. I was a Clinton supporter... in the military. That is saying something! Maybe I'm far too idealistic to see the reality in these people. Now that it's slapping me in the face, it's pretty harsh.

June 26, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  18. Shawn

Hi Anderson and Erica,
    Great show as always.

Can someone please talk about Senator Clinton's $10 million debt to herself? This fact seems to be being overlooked tonight. Obama is essentially raising money to pay Clinton back the money that she "loaned" her campaign.

Keep them honest Anderson!

June 26, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  19. Kim

This is interesting, I was just thinking that their is no way that anyone but Hillary should have to pay for her campaign.

THEN

I saw the McWar ad where he tells us how green he is and forgets to tell everyone about his stipid drilling for oil push.

And so I was reminded what the real goal need to be, making sure McWar does not have a chance to give us BUSH III

June 26, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  20. Lesley

And here's gracious Barack Obama helping Hillary out again. It seems he did a very rare thing, writing her a cheque......He's so kind to her and eloquent.....and I hope he becomes the next president.

As far as Hillary working to bring the Dems. back together.....Wasn't she the one who helped to separate them?? She always dished out dirt towards Obama and helped to turn supporters against him. By rights, she SHOULD do all she can to unite them again.

June 26, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  21. just-another-sweetie

Obama branded the Clintons as racist and now he wants them to campaign for him? LOL I’m over the Democratic Party. I refuse to allow the sneaky low life Dean, DNC and the no good talk show hosts media to choose my president. This EX-Democrat will be voting for John McCain.

June 26, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  22. casey

hey, Donna... are you by any chance in Ca? I read your posts a lot.

June 26, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  23. casey

@Cris Scott, Wisc

wow, glad to hear this. I did a bunch of phone calls to voters in Wisconsin before their primary and found myself spending hours on the phone listening to what the random people I called had to say. (Obama's website helps us do this).

I have to say that it was lively, intelligent conversation and I found it less about telling someone they should vote for Obama and more about discussing how we all are in need of change from the current mess.

But thank you for speaking up!

June 26, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  24. dorothy

am disappointed in the fact that Senator Clinton is seeking support to reduce her campaign debt from Senator Obama's supporters. While I can certainly understand her desire to pay off her obligations, this "bailout," as it appears, is setting a poor precedent and example.

I believe the American public is looking for leadership that demonstrates personal financial responsibility, as well as expecting fiscal responsibility from our government. It would be extremely encouraging and admirable for Senator Clinton to step up and take ownership for this debt from her own resources and donors. What a powerful statement that would be!

June 26, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  25. Lilibeth

What happened to the Zimbabwe story?

June 26, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  26. PatW

For the life of me I do not understand why Hillary needs to be payed back money she choose to personally spend on her campaign ? She did not have to do that. It was her choice.
    Its not that I don't like Hilary. I always have liked her and she is an outstanding politician. But Obama was my choice.
    I wonder if there is some rule that you pay other people competing back money they spent. Does MCain have to pay any of his fellow runners back ? I never heard of this before. Seems like its a waste of tax payers money. Everyone already gave/ so did Hilary & she gave what she must have thought she could afford

June 26, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  27. Mary, Seattle

BTW Cindy, it is not about John McCain, it is about who the Vice Presidental candidate is. Get real about age, melanoma, dementia, and what those flaring temper episodes, brain trauma at an early age, ( aka Post Trauma Stress Syndrome in the 70s) are symptoms of. Thats the real story And if the rumors about Obama looking at military men as potential VP candidates, well, it must worse that I imagined.

But, yes, I agree with you – Hiliary is capable of back-stabbing Obama who won fairly and squarely, using finesse, wise resource development, creating loyalty along the way among millions of 20-30 somethings. Integrity means something in my book.

June 26, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Donna

As an Obama supporter (yes, older white woman...) I refuse to give any more money to the compaign just to pay down the competitor's poorly run, poorly managed campaign. I can volunteer my time, my energy and my love for the future of this country. But I will NOT promote co-dependent behavior in feeding the control issues of that woman. She is currently a big 'ba-humbug' to the movement for our country's direction in electing a candidate free of beholding to larger interests. SHE still is. Somewhere, sometime, the 'inner child' of Hiliary Clinton is going to have one big tantrum, 'cause she didn't win. In her neck of the woods, the next step is getting even. I wish all the women who project their own failure on this woman would wake up to who she really is. But I guess we are all in for the soap opera drama that she is creating. I say it is time to fish or cut bait.. and the fact that Bill Clinton is still playing the jerk role. Really, are these adults?

June 26, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  29. Von S.

i think its a postive step foward for the demecrats. I feel like if Hillary Clinton and Obama unite it sends a strong message to republicans.

June 26, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Gail

Why should he be responsible to help HER debt. She did it to herself, she used her own money for her interests. Will he pay for our interests?

June 26, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Cindy

Anderson Cooper is the most fair-minded reporter on CNN. He is also VERY handsome! What more could you ask.

The problem with the story tonight is that millions of voters are still disenfranchised from the Democratic Party. They do not see Obama as qualified or as informed as Hillary Clinton, they don't think he can address foreign policy as readily or address our economy as effectively. More importantly, they feel betrayed by the leadership in the Democratic Party. I predict big problems for this candidate (Obama) no matter how the Clintons may try to help him. He cannot pull in the swing states and the latest Gallup Poll shows him in a dead heat with McCain.
    Pretty scary when we're all exhausted from 8 years of a long Republican nightmare. The country needs Clinton and millions of voters are still looking to the superdelegates to make the right choice for the nation. Democrats are tired of voting for candidates that don't win.

June 26, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  32. froggie

I don't understand why it is still all about Hiliary. Geez, she needs therapy, if her control issues are this bad. First of all, all the 'debt' racked up was to pay HIGH consulting fees to her friends. Hello? The overspending – constant wasting of money was again -for what? Her Ego. My God, her advisors did a bad job, but now they expect Barack to pay for it? Please. I have been in the consulting business – it is called a 'write-down' – they didn't perform, period.

Solve the debt problem by writing another book. She is already getting tax-payer support as the ex-first lady, huge Senator benefits. This is not about money. Its about control. And she DOES need therapy if she can't do a better job of unifying Democrats than she is doing.

June 26, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  33. Cris Scott, Wisc

Sounds like negotiations with the former "Terrorist" state, Noroth Korea, (Bush's definition), are having some progress. My comment is maybe Sen Obama's idea of haveing a dialog with Iran is not so far fetched.

I retiried in 05 after serving 25-years in the Armed Services, attempts at diplomacy are worth the effort in ending the so called war and decreasing the number of maimed service members.

I'm a Republican but supporting Sen Obama

Something has got to shake up the White House, Congress, and Senate. Sen. Obama may be the spark that ignites that fire.

June 26, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Gerard Kelleher

Anderson love your show. Obama is walking a fine line when it comess to the praise he gives Hilary he could come off looking desperate for their vote and thus the stakes go up. Remember they were voting for a 3rd term for Bill thinking to the contrary is naieve.

June 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Debby

I'm not understanding why Obama should help Hillary pay off a debt she made trying to beat him. Give me a break. Why did she spend more than she got in donations? Maybe if she would have not gone in debt, this would have been over a long time ago. Isn't there a limit to how much you can go in debt?

June 26, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Annie Kate

Sounds like a good show coming up. I'm especially looking forward to the news on the political front and what the Massachusetts principal has to say as well as what Randi may have uncovered about the pregnant soldier that was found dead in her hotel room.

Annie Kate