June 10th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/10/08

John McCain and Barack Obama are making the economy the number one issue in the election and we’re keeping them honest tonight.

Sen. Obama’s team has come up with about 20 names of potenial VP candidates including some former military leaders. We’ll have a strategy session with best political team on television.

And, what about Chelsea? Now that her mother’s campaign is over what does the future hold for Chelsea Clinton? Gary Tuchman will have that report.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

Anderson is in the field shooting Planet in Peril: Battle Lines so Campbell Brown will be anchoring tonight. Make sure to watch her and Erica Hill on the live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Susan - North Haven, CT

Obama has won the support of his followers by focusing on their economic desparities. They have fallen for his inspirational blabber hook, line and sinker. He has led them to believe that he can rescue them and make it all better. There's going to be alot of disappointed people when reality sets in, and they begin to see that he doesn't have the first clue about what it takes to run this country.

June 10, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  2. CaseyJPS - California

David-
    Please keep blogging. I appreciate your voice of reason. (BTW, I agree.)

June 10, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar

Nice to see you!!!! David Gergen!!!!! Thanks for share with me!!! 🙂

June 10, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, Ohio

I'd like to see Gary interview Chelsea Clinton. She can trust him; he would do a great job!

June 10, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Ric A. (Charlotte, NC)

David, you're really a good "listen" when it comes to providing political perspective. I look forward to your views on this race and politics past and present

June 10, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  6. ericacnn

I like David's idea of a summer vaca!

June 10, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Jolene

Must be nice to have a job that you can leave for 15+ months to campaign for your mother and then go back to it. If Chelsea was so well-liked campaigning for her mother, I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't get pressure to get involved in politics.

June 10, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Patty

Chelsea Clinton has turned into an intelligent, remarkable young lady, Bill and Hillary clearly did a wonderful job raising her.

June 10, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Billi

Chelsea must have had excellent parents and parenting to have become such a lovely young woman. She had the best female role model, after all, guiding her – her mom, Hillary CLinton.

June 10, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar

Chelsea is best person I saw...... She needs more her private life. I agree with you, Sara Ro. Thanks Gary Tuchman!!!!!!!

June 10, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Cindy

Chelsea was great on the stump for her mom. I would think that she would go back to her job now.

Cindy...Ga.

June 10, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  12. David Gergen

Hello one and all -

I just came off the air - isn't Campbell doing a great job filling in for Anderson?

Earlier today I posted a blog entry (this is all rather new to me) on the AC 360 web site, and Ed Rollins just said something to Campbell that picked up on a part of it, so I wanted to offer just a brief follow-up here.

In essence, I was suggesting that Barack Obama has been smart to go on the offensive on the economy (it is an issue that is resonating increasingly with the public and on which he has more advantages than he does in national security). It was interesting to me how well John McCain returned fire today when he spoke to small business owners. Clearly, McCain has no intention of conceding the issue and he could be surprisingly effective.

Still, I was wondering whether Obama really needs to hit the road with at least two more straight weeks of campaigning. It strikes me that (a) the public would like a break before the national campaign begins in earnest; (b) Obama himself - along with his team - desperately needs a rest physically; and (c) as Ed Rollins was noting, both Obama and McCain need to do some intellectual work before they lock into their positions for the fall - positions that will heavily shape what they actually do as president. Each of them, for example, needs to fill out his economic plans for the country, providing far more substance than we have seen so far. (Obama, as I have previously argued, also needs to allow some time this summer for some foreign travel.)

I am not sure about you, but I think a summer vacation is in order soon for everyone - including the Obama and McCain families.

Over to you,

David

June 10, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Linda, Los Angeles

Wow, 400 events? Hope Chelesa is vacationing with her mom.

June 10, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, Ohio

Those photos of the mountain gorillas and Anderson are really breathtaking! I can't believe how close he was! I hope they add them to the PIP site like they did last time! The site they are at right now doesn't do them justice.

June 10, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  15. Ric A. (Charlotte, NC)

I think Chelsea will run for office???

June 10, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  16. Jennifer - Michigan

Man! That video is so scary. Executed right there in front of that big crowd. It's absolutely crazy what goes on over there. It has to be so hard mentally on Michael Ware having to witness and report all that mess.

June 10, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar

Yes Cindy!!!!!! me either!!
    I can't wait to see Anderson Cooper tomorrow night! Yes, very pretty pictures!

June 10, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Jolene

So will Anderson's report tomorrow be another "sneak peek" again? Don't think I can handle all these "teasers".

June 10, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  19. Cheryl

General Russell Honore (remember Katrina) should be on Obama's VP shortlist. He's an American hero who knows how to get things done and cares about people.

June 10, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  20. Sara.Ro

Chelsea figures out so good now , she was playing in the WH in her childhood, she cames from a politician family, so she has a native vantage

June 10, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  21. Linda, Los Angeles

Beautiful pictures!! What an experience to be in that environment.

June 10, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  22. Cindy

AWW...can't wait to see more from Anderson tomorrow!! Those pics were beautiful!

Cindy...Ga.

June 10, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  23. Francesca Elm

I love Planet in Peril, it has the stories about the planet we never get to hear

June 10, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar

Me too, Lorie in Calif.
    I can't wait see Michael Ware in Iraq and Afghanistan tomorrow night!

June 10, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  25. CaseyJPS - California

I'm still buying tomatoes (with stems). I can't live without them.

June 10, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  26. Linda, Los Angeles

The bug might have bitten Chelesa. I believe she was a consultant on wall street and we know wall street is not fairing well of late.

June 10, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  27. Jolene

Hi Erica! Not knowing who will be each candidates running mate just makes the race full of suspense but we all love to speculate don't we?

June 10, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  28. CaseyJPS - California

Oh my God. That video is extremely distrubing even without seeing the whole thing. I wonder if the people standing around were forced to stand and watch, so they had an audience on the video.

June 10, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Michael Ware's report tomorrow looks very interesting. I hope we can have more news on Iraq and Afghanistan very soon.

June 10, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Cynthia

Fran, there were problems with some of the things said and did by the Clinton campaign but not her ideas. They're both Democrats and as such there ideas will probably run along the same lines.

June 10, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Linda, Los Angeles

McCain camp is reaching if they are going after Jim Johnson. He is unpaid and it just highlights the lobbists in their camp.

June 10, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  32. kim-chicago

For me...Obama/Clinton would be such a historical union, that I think it needs to seriously be considered. But I do believe there are many other great options.

June 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Jason

I agree that Obama is inexperienced and is just using a campaign of mass hype to try and get elected. I really dont know how he will fare if he does win.

June 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  34. ericacnn

it's a list that will keep growing and changing until we finally hear sthg from the candidates... get comfy, it's going to be a while! 🙂

June 10, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Stacy

@Susan–I thought Chelsea had some sort of Wall Street-type job. I assumed she would just go back to that.

June 10, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  36. EJ (USA)

Chelsea's a consultant (on leave) for McKinsey making a nice 6-figure salary.

June 10, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Linda, Los Angeles

In regards to the tax breaks for oil companies, I am doubtful that it would completely be rolled back to the consumers. This was a tax break, what were they doing before this? The main question is how do we regulate this industry?

June 10, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Francesca Elm

I think Clinton should be on the Supreme Court, not VP. I don't think she would be bad a VP, I just think she doesn't want to be second to Obama.

June 10, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Fran

It is amazing to me that everyone criticized Senator Clinton's campaign but basically all of Obama's ideas were xeroxed from her. Now he is taking her message to the blue collar workers as his own. I guess Senator Clinton was ahead of her time.

June 10, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Cynthia

Jim Johnson is only on the Committee. He won't actually be working in the White House – I don't see a problem with that. If you really think about it being in Washington or in politics – they meet all kinds of people

June 10, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Jolene

I think the "short list" for VP is starting to become a "long list". LOL!

June 10, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  42. kelly in mo

We all know Barack has the good judgement to pick the right VP(?)

June 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Mike

Cafferty should be on Obama's short list. He has totally proven himself has an avid Obama endorser during the primaries.

June 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  44. Jolene

@Susan-North Haven, CT: Journalism for Chelsea? Isn't it the reporters who she refused to talk to during the primaries? I would be very surprised if she chose journalism.

June 10, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  45. Cindy

@ Sarah M...right on sista!! Obama is definitely all talk and no do!

Cindy...Ga.

June 10, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Gary......
    You're right about that. I agree with you.....

June 10, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Gary

Did you hear Obama's explanation of his judgement in selecting the committee to find his VP? Apparently Jim Johnson, on the committee, recieved millions in loans from a financial company that Obama was very critical. And what is with Gov. Strickland, he absolutely said he would not be Obama's VP.

June 10, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  48. CaseyJPS - California

No candidate can shape the economy. We live in a global society and nobody knows what the Chavez’s of the world are going to do next. It’s great to understand their perspectives, but you can’t use that alone to judge. What they are saying now will rarely (probably never) come to bear, regardless of how many experts are filling their ears.

June 10, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Linda, Los Angeles

Meg, I'm jealous. Can't remember the last time gas was under $4 on this end.

June 10, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  50. Sarah M

I think that Obama is more " Hopenosis" all talk and no substance. McCain 's economy is not his forte for sure, but at least he admits as much.

I shall NEVER vote for Barack Obama.

June 10, 2008 at 10:16 pm |