June 4th, 2008

What a season finale! Next in the presidential race: Season two

Obama claimed the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night in a long-time-coming victory.

Barclay Palmer
360° Senior Producer

Today reminds me of that odd feeling when you see a heavily promoted "Season Finale" on TV, but you know a whole new season begins any minute–right after your too quick summer vacation.

Sure, the amazing and gripping Obama vs. Hillary contest is over... But what now–does he pick her as running mate, win over her supporters and heal the party–and get Wild Bill rustling up trouble, to boot?

Or does he pick some lesser mortal to form some dream-is-over ticket, and hope everyone will forget the valiant but too-late rally by Hillary and her supporters, and let him get on with the real title fight with John McCain?

The fellow parents waiting at my daughter's bus stop this morning could talk about nothing else. Daughters? Oh yeah–bye!! Love you!!

What's your view?

Filed under: Barack Obama • Barclay Palmer • Democrats • Hillary Clinton • John McCain • Raw Politics
  1. Beverly Akins

It seems that Sen. Clinton is trying to hold the delegates as power to get what she wants. I believe that the Cabinet Member on Health would be great, because it would fit right up her alley. The other thought was that if she wants only the VP spot, then her assignment could be to work with the Cabinet Member in charge of what she is most interested, and help possible President Obama pick the Cabinet Member for this area. Then she would have someone who would work with her and probably get more accomplished. I was impressed with her stepping into the job of working on the health benefits for Americans when past President Clinton was first elected. She is a very brilliant and hard worker, who could advance the party ideals, while working with what she is most interested, and possibly aid President Obama pick the Cabinet Member help in this Presidency.

June 5, 2008 at 6:14 am |
  2. Kathleen C

While there are many advantages to having Senator Clinton on the Democratic ticket as VP, long-term strategy dictates that she best serve this country in her current role or at best as part of Obama's cabinet. Years ago, it was easy to divide the voting public along liberal (Democratic) and conservative (Republican) lines as well as poor/working class (Democratic) and business/upper class (Republicans). Today dynamics are different. Voters segment based on status quo vs. change as well as pragmatic vs. idealistic. Though Senator Clinton is perfectly qualified as VP, an Obama-Clinton ticket would send a mixed message to voters in this election. Would the Democratic Party be regarded as the party of new ideals and change or the party of status quo and pragmatism? And, what would the Democratic image be to voters eight years from now if Clinton decided to run again for President? Besides, Clinton can achieve much more for this country as a senator than as VP. Why settle for VP?

June 5, 2008 at 2:11 am |
  3. Silsteen Mills

This is written to all of you Clinton supporters who say you will vote for John (McSame) and not for Mr. Obama. Those of you who would rather have a continuation of the same Bush policies and mindset. Those of you who want the US goverment to continue using your hard earned tax dollars to pay off the "Sons of Iraq" to put down their weapons and not share in the sectarian violence in Iraq. So much for the surge!!! The factions there are still hating and killing each other and American soldiers.

Get ready for $7.00 – $10.00 per gal. gas prices. Get ready to accept drastic changes to your way of life.

WAKE UP!!!!

NC

NC

June 5, 2008 at 1:55 am |
  4. H. Stark

I have intently listened to Sen. Obama / Clinton for 15 months. I have watched and loved America for 5 decades. But Obama has no chance of deliveriing on his vague promises of change. With what? How? America is financial broken and deeply in debt, both current account, international payments and the lists goe on. The only thing that works in America is the printing press at the mint. If America is not worse off after 4 years of him, ie., deeper in debt, in more wars, in more threats of wars, in more quagmire it will be only by Gods interventions. H. Stark

June 5, 2008 at 1:52 am |
  5. eleanor

Why should pundit's insist they get involved in whom Obama choses for V/P, leave him alone, as far as Hillary is concerned, it 's time she answer the charges, Peter Paul has bought against her in LA Superior court, case#304174, she faught hard,to keep this case out of the public, and to secure a spot for herself, after all she got away with her minister's sexual abuse of a seven year old girl, fron Utica NY,,and never had to answer a question, then there are the 47 dead folk " google "Death during Clinton's Presidency", Then google; "The Clinton Chronicles" it is all ther, Hillary play's on the fact that (Those little old ladies do not go on the internet, they have no idea ehat is going on.!) Sure as She is Hillary, Obama would meet some untimely demise, while she and Old Bill," Play Dumb"....Hell no, Let her go....!

June 5, 2008 at 1:39 am |
  6. David

How any times can Obama say – this is not the person I knew? (Tony Resko etc) need I say more?

June 5, 2008 at 1:14 am |
  7. Brandon

I lost hope in the democrative party , yes its a sad day in American history folks. I will take great PRIDE in voting for McCain. Shame on you haters and Obama campain . Mrs. Hillary Clinton to much of lady to dirty her name with racist haters like Obama.

June 5, 2008 at 12:22 am |
  8. Marian NY

Season TWO????
    I hope Flavor Flav decides to go for a Flavor of Love 4--I need a rest from all of this political drama..........the answer is simple...McCain=four more years of the same. If you want to keep your home–vote Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 at 12:17 am |
  9. Ms. A. Woods

I cannot help but wonder how many other people feel the way that I do about this election. I really feel like this has been a very racial election. I think the DNC made the decision they did because they did not want riots, etc., and I think it would have happened if Hillary would have won. She would have, I believe, if they would have had a re-vote in Michigan and Florida, but Sen. Obama stated he would not do it. I think the reason why he wouldn't was because he knew he would lose. It would go against him, therefore, he said no. Michigan and Florida people that vote in the election in November are not going to forget that. Those states, I will bet will go to the Republicans, due to his decision. They were willing to do a re-vote and he said no. That tells you something. Also, he is suppose to be so American – HAH! He was the only one that would not hold his hand over his heart while the others did, he removed his American Flag lapel pin with this rediculous reason, until recently when he met with Vet's. His wife has never been proud of her country. You cannot convince me that he will remain friends with the his old reverend after all this is said and done, but he had to get him out of the way now so he could have a chance at winning this election. Putting him in the White House without the qualifications, is like doing this again 8 years ago, when we put someone else in the White House without the qualifications needed. This country is a mess now and I hate to think what it will be like in 4 more years. Barack Obama can say what he wants about John McCain, however, John McCain is his own person, and not President Bush. He is very well qualified for this job! Shame on John Edwards, who, after being on Larry King stated he would not endorse and should leave that up to the people, did so a day or two later after Hillary Clinton beat him tremendously in West Virgina (I believe that was the state, forgive me if I am incorrect). However, you did not see John Edwards come out and endorse Hillary Clinton when Barack Obama won (again, I believe), North Carolina because 91% of the African American people voted for B. H. Obama. I also get extremely concerned when I hear that a Hamas leader wants BHO to get the Nomination and elected. That is scary to me. I just think, that is all we need. I am an Independant, so it doesn't have anything to do with Dem. or Rep.
    I also have to ask, when are we going to help our own people and our own country. It must be done as it is already too late now. We can't take care of every other country for even four more years!
    All I can say now is God help us all!
    Ms. A. Woods

June 4, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  10. Nathan

Sen Clinton showed a total disrespect for Sen Obama throughout this campaign. Sen Obama had to be the Jackie Robinson of the campaign. I still don't think she has any respect for him. I think it would be a very big mistake for Sen Obama to make her his VP. We all know that there are some democrates that will not vote for him because he is black, but real democrates will vote for him.

June 4, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  11. donna sherman

Obama will pick his own VP. And, it has been clear to me that it will not be Hillary. I can't figure out why it's not clear to everyone. Obviously, he is going to have to come out on the stage and say emphatically; "I will not have Hillary as my Vice President. Got it?"

As so many are saying, including me, on several blogs, Obama wouldn't last six months. The Clintons are capable of anything.

Everyone keeps saying they don't know Obama. Well, if Hillary's supporters think they know her, they haven't looked very far.

I also can't figure out why Hillary thinks the people who voted for her are hers. Most of them are Bills, and the rest are free agents. They aren't robots and aren't in her pocket. They just voted for her, and they knew it was a contest. Someone had to loose. They don't belong to her. Their vote lost. The end, already.

I have really been a little disgusted with the news coverage, today.
    If speculation carried any weight, this world would be a total mess.
    Every moderator wants to think they have the right prospect for the candidates, and the listeners, who are listening to get some insight, must go to bed thinking nothing makes any sense. Forget Hillary!!!
    She needs to go home to Bill in New York. But, we all know what he's like because we DO know Hillary and Bill. Just give the listeners a break and stop trying to convince Obama to put her in as VP. If he does, he is sunk. Do you want to be a part of that?

ds, missouri