June 4th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/4/08

Breaking news tonight: Senator Hillary Clinton will suspend her campaign on Saturday and on that same day will endorse Sen. Barack Obama. Is this too late? Should she have done it last night instead of telling her supporters she hadn't made any decisions and asking them to weigh in on her web site.

Tonight, we'll look back on how Barack Obama became the presumptive nominee. What did he do right? What did she do wrong? And what about Bill Clinton? What impact did he have on her campaign? We'll also look ahead at the general election. What are the strategies for Sen. McCain and Sen. Obama? We've got a lot to talk about tonight with the Best Political Team on Television.

And don't forget about the live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Cali

Happy Beleted Birthday Anderson

June 4, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Jacqui Chan

enjoy your gift Anderson
    good night all

June 4, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Hannah Storm

Happy Birthday Anderson

Enjoy the Wii....there are alot of other things you can do with it

June 4, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Edward R.-Destin Florida

Anderson wasn't sold on the wii LOL

June 4, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Maureen T

That was a great way to end the show! Erica's priceless and Anderson is a good sport!! Goodnight Boo! 🙂

June 4, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Elaine MA

I am a Hillary supporter, obama will not get my vote. If He respectfully takes Hillary as VP. I will vote for the Dems. otherwise McCain's got my vote!

June 4, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Ah, come on exercise with the Wii.. Be Wii Fit....

June 4, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Laura

I am not, not, not a McCain supporter, but I think you are being a little simplistic in your assesmant Miriam. The man is quite qualified.

June 4, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  9. tony

McCain 72 at the time of innauguration..that's scary!

June 4, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  10. EJ (USA)

A wii! I was just about to write that – if you all got him that for his bday??? 🙂

June 4, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Hannah Storm

Did you get Anderson a Wii for his birthday!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Sam

Fuel cost – Please help & report...

June 4, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar

Good night Anderson, Erica, and Bloggers
    Sleep tight!!!!! Have good night everyone!
    See you tomorrow night! 🙂

June 4, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  14. kim-chicago

David I totally agree that Obama needs to start calling the shots, however, we can't forget he has been fighting on three fronts...Hillary, Bill, and John McCain. I think once the dust settles he will notch this up...
    He's right...he just needs to take a breath.

June 4, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I don't want to hear alot of speeches. I want to hear them debate. Close up and with their guard down. Hopefully we won't just hear endless speeches.

June 4, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  16. Rubin Randel

AC said that Rezko bankrolled Obama's campaign. this is misleading. he was a fundraiser in his srtate senate campaign only. Obama cut ties with him .

June 4, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  17. Billi

I finally agree with David. Hillary did win the second half of the campaign and Obama seems exhausted.

June 4, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Jacqui Chan

Being that Condoleezza Rice insists that she is not interested in being the next VP who do you think would be a good FEMALE running mate for Obama to consider?

June 4, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  19. Carol

HIllary's supporters on AC360 tonight talk about the need for Hillary to have time to pschologically adjust to her loss. Huh??? Isn't that the stereotype we women have been fighting for years?

June 4, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Rosa Smith

Can someone shed some light on the disgruntled Clinton supporters? it's sad to see that some are going as far as voting for McCain or not voting at all...why?

June 4, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  21. Miriam, San Francisco

Anderson, I'm glad you mentioned race and age. I was afraid to write. The way I see it, race is immaterial, but age is important. McCain is just too old to drag this country out of a recession, out of a war and place it firmly in the future. I am not being age-ist, just realistic.

June 4, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Jake in Atlanta

I completely agree with David. The most of the talk since Obama crossed the finish line has been about Clinton. I think she could have (and should have) done more to prepare for Obama's win, and to show real support for the Democratic nominee.

June 4, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  23. Kim

Wanda, I disagree, David Gergen is one of the most courteous and fairest experts on the panel.

June 4, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  24. Cynthia

I think that you will see a different Obama now that he has the nomination. He has been fighting two people, Senator Clinton and Senator McCain. John McCain did not say much about Senator Clinton. John McCain will be unpleasantly surprised now that it is just the two of them.

June 4, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  25. E Evans(Tallahssee)

I'm a from cincinnati and now in florida i joined Barack Obama team today and want to be apart of the new change..,

June 4, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Andre Brown (Philadelpia)

I really dont think its a big deal that she didn't concede last night what I didn't like was the tone in her voice that led us to believe she is still running for the Demorcrat nomination. I think her cocky attitude is what got her in trouble with this election. She had no clue this race would go this far. It like the ole saying goes "Move Your Feet Lose Your Seat" and that's what happened. She slept on Barack and he moved right in to the seat.

June 4, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Lisa

Obama needs Hillary, without her he's going nowhere. I for one dont like the man and will give my vote to McCain if he refuses to give Hillary the VP. Caroline Kennedy is not a politician. She has no business being a VP, and its not what Obama needs – two inexperience people running together for President. McCain and the Republican Machine would eat him alive.

Hillary for VP

June 4, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  28. Linda Greep

Hi all, Have so enjoyed the excellent coverage of the primaries and now follow up and of course on to the election. David Gergen is tops, as all the panelists. The Communicator in Red from Vancouver says hello to Mr. Gergen. If you read this David, do an ear pull one night like Carol Burnett use to do to say hi to your fans here on the west coast.

Get a little rest this summer. We can't get enough of David's excellent commentary. Good job all.

Linda G.

June 4, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  29. Susan - North Haven, CT

I am a Democrat who has no faith in Obama's ability to run this country.
    If I vote at all, it will be for McCain – he is the most qualified of the two.

June 4, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  30. Sean O.

Cathy,

The clinton "people" consist of a bunch of people "reporting" that Hillary wants to do this or that.

Let the woman speak for herself come saturday.

June 4, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Sam in NC

David I agree that Obama needs to set some of the tone toward the GE. But he had to get through this Primary. That was only yesterday. Give him time. I think he'll have McCain on the defensive.

Obama '08

June 4, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Roxanna

So disappointed that Obama is the Democratic nominee. Sure hope that Hillary decides to go Independent. Otherwise I'm changing my party affiliation and voting for McCain in the fall!

June 4, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  33. david whyatt

Mr Gergen,

I was fascinated to hear your comments about the Kissenger talks with the Reagan team in 1980 on behalf of Gerry Ford. Is there somewhere I can read a detailed account of that?

June 4, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  34. Anna

I'm disappointed that Senator Clinton will be suspending her campaign; I was hoping she would continue. Hopefully, she'll be VP.

June 4, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  35. Karen--Leesburg

It's a natural assumption that voters, the will of the people, would be the deciding factor in choosing a nominee. What we forget is that the Dem and Rep parties are actually private "clubs."

In Political Science terms, we, the citizens, may own the office, but the parties sponsor (own) the candadidates–It was only recently that the parties started to even ask "outsiders" for their opinion, before or after the public election.

June 4, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  36. Paul - Rochester, NY

I think that Obama needs Clinton to be VP. Lets take a look at what you at CNN did on Tuesday. CNN showed that with the two of them, this would be a slam dunk. What do u guys think?

June 4, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Laura

David Gergen- I love hearing what you have to say on CNN, you are the ultimate political analyst. I think CNN should give you your own show!!

June 4, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  38. Lawrence M.

If Obama knows in his heart that he will not choose Clinton as Vice President, he should name the VP as soon as possible to avoid increasing disappointment of Clinton supporters and/or media manipulation by Clinton "colleagues."

June 4, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Chuck in Alabama

That "demographic" is still not in Obama's camp. He has some work to do....

June 4, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  40. Ron Carson

Anderson,

Let's not forget that Hillary Clinton currently serves as a U.S. senator from NY. Her husband has been busy touring around the world, speaking and working very hard to make the world a better place, through the Clinton foundation. I fail to see that anything would be different if her job became vice president in the Obama administration. To sound as though Hillary can't get up and go to work in the morning without Bill, is absurd......

Thanks,
    Ron

June 4, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Dave

Hillary Clinton is not the first candidate to not endorse the presumptive nominee on the night of the final primary. Since 1980, there have been other candidates that have gone a month before endorsing the nominee, while others have taken the debate to the convention. In these cases, the candidates were not critiqued as heavily as Clinton has been. Yet, Clinton has been in one of the closest races in history. Shouldn't she have some time to take it all in? I mean, Obama said that he hasn't caught his breath and absorbed it all. Why is there such a rush to have Clinton endorse immediately?

June 4, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Jacqui Chan

I truely appreciate David Gergen's impartial, intellegent comments.
    I hope he will have time to blog with us another night (if not 2nite)

June 4, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Chuck in Alabama

Obama didn't agree to that type of debate when Hillary invited him to do so... now it's a good thing?

June 4, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Linda from Mo.

I am a Hillary supporter,but do not think it would work for her to be Obamas vp. I agree with jessie from canada on what Hillary should do.

June 4, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

It's still a very close poll for a man that's had very little air time on tv. McCain is not down and out. I look forward to town meetings. Let's hope Obama agrees.

June 4, 2008 at 10:41 pm |