June 4th, 2008

Hillary Clinton for VEEP? Is that a train coming?

Tom Foreman
360° Correspondent

On a train to New York, and I am considering the next move in this unending saga called Election 2008, with the battlefield of the general election suddenly rolling out before us.

Specifically, I'm looking at a pile of newspapers, and paging through websites that are mulling this idea of Clinton as Veep for Obama.

So much talk is being logged around this idea of what she could bring to him, in terms of support, but it seems to me that the evidence of this campaign shows that to be an incomplete way of viewing this situation.

The missing part of this "Hillary on the ticket" idea is the same thing that torpedoed her campaign. It does not address her "negative" factor. There are undeniably people who like her, and might come to Obama if he takes her on as running mate, but many others may be turned away by that very move.

Remember, he has ridden a wave of moderates and young voters, coming out in unprecedented numbers, because he has promised a break with old-fashioned politics. If he runs with her, he runs the risk of repudiating his own message and he could "cap" his upward potential by disaffecting not only those who have already come out, but also any potential new recruits. He would be trying to grab a shaky, and slim advantage among people who, for all their bluster, will probably vote for him anyway; and forsaking the potential of more explosive growth among moderates, independents, and cross-over Republicans.

Considering that McCain is clearly going to play hard for that same moderate middle, I have heard plenty of reasonable Democrats voice concern for months, that making Clinton his Veep could prove suicidal. Not to mention an idea that has been bubbling for a while: Even if he wants to do this, putting Hillary into the Vice Presidency will also open the White House door wide to Bill Clinton, and no president ever has wanted to labor in the shadow of a predecessor, let alone one that is literally looking over his shoulder.

Without question, Obama has his work cut out to draw in Senator Clinton's supporters if he does not make her a running mate. Some will be placated with nothing less. But Obama has outrun her for the nomination by going after the middle, by defying convention, by exciting a sense among many Americans that he is willing to shove aside old party politics; not just as practiced by the Republicans, but also as practiced by the Democrats.

There are good reasons for him to consider Hillary Clinton as a Vice President, but as I rock along on this train beneath a gray sky that must look even grayer to Camp Clinton, I wonder if he will find more, better reasons to look elsewhere for a running mate.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics • Tom Foreman
  1. joe m.

putting clinton on the ticket as a VP is a deal breaker for moderate rebulicans and independents who supported obama. additionally, it will not change the minds of many clinton supporters who will not vote for obama, no matter what. the only thing that will be accomplished if clinton is shoved down obama's throat is to diminish and weaken him as a candidate and leader. if he is bullied into this choice then he is instantly marked as a leader who can be forced into a decision under duress. presidents and leaders need to be able to lead from a position or strenght and authority. obama gives up this ground if he allows himself to be goaded into his first most improtant choice.

June 4, 2008 at 9:08 pm |
  2. Larry

I still think that Bobby Jindal would be a good choice for McCain; after all you only need to be 35 to be president.

June 4, 2008 at 8:56 pm |
  3. Judy

It is reported on one of the other in the know news sites that Obama has appointed Caroline Kennedy to be on the VP Search and Advisory Committee. I don't think Caroline is going to pick Hillary. I am not an insider, but I just got this feeling...........could the "Bill" factor be a part of it?

June 4, 2008 at 8:54 pm |
  4. susan

I promise myself NEVER to read another CNN blog again. I'm sick of hearing about how entitled, selfish, and arrogant Hillary Clinton is. It seems the average CNN viewer / blogger does not understand basic MATH..... which means withOUT Hillary's 18 million supporters, Obama has little chance of securing the presidency. Go ahead, sit and brew about the she-devil. Forget about the goal.... to win in November..... and hang on to your ignorant resentments. Make it allllll about Hillary.. and forget about her supporters and how she has acted on their behalf. Keep the democratic party divided....... then blame it on Hillary. You been singin' that song all along, why quit now??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 at 8:52 pm |
  5. caren from los angeles

I have to say, I started out as a Hillary fan, but then crossed over to the Obama side about 5 months ago, having no hostility towards Hillary, or any doubts about her capability to be a Commander in Chief. I just thought Obama would be better for us in the future. After last night's Clinton speech however, I have doubts about her as a VP, and quite frankly, I don't want Bill Clinton anywhere near the White House. What she said isn't nearly as bad as what she didn't say, and I don't think I need to specify that. Everyone is talking about Hillary's supporters as voters in Nov, but nobody is talking about Obama's supporters. If he chooses her as a VP, what will that say to the millions of his supporters who detest her? It may not have that dramatic of an effect, but still, there will be people out there who will think twice about voting for him. A radio DJ said this morning, "What she wants is a monarchy with her as Queen." I couldn't agree more.

June 4, 2008 at 8:51 pm |
  6. Kimberly

If Obama wants the presidency, he'd be a fool not to put Clinton on the ticket. 17.5 million votes is not going to get him there.

June 4, 2008 at 8:31 pm |
  7. David from Baton Rouge

As a white supporter of Barack Obama I don't want to be told by the african-ameican community who Barack should or should not choose for vice president. I'm tired of hearing that he only represents the interests of the african-american community. I'm fine with whomever he chooses.

June 4, 2008 at 8:30 pm |
  8. Shamil

Hilary as been formidable no question but here is an idea... Chuck Hagel, yes you heard me I said Chuck Hagel. His name has floated around before, but think about what he brings to complete an Obama candidacy. He has significant experience on security and the economy, he has run several organizations and businesses, and he is the perfect common sense, quite achiever that would compliment an Obama presidency. Republican from Nebraska who has criticized the war and the Bush Administration. That is my dream ticket and that is bipartisanship, I realize I might be dreaming but forget unifying only the democratic party, lets unify this country. Competency (I'm not saying Obama isn't competent) and Change would be the meaning of an Obama-Hagel ticket and just what we need to transform this country over the course of the next 4 years. Forget just winning the election, what about once Obama is int he White House. If I may dare to have the audacity to hope; OBAMA-HAGEL 2008.

June 4, 2008 at 8:23 pm |
  9. Chris - Hemet, Ca.

America deserves an honest, straightforward VP who can share the work the next administration is facing and I'm afraid a selfish, self centered, negative narcissist is not the key. No Clinton for VP!!!

June 4, 2008 at 8:15 pm |
  10. Trudy in Peoria

If Hillary was VP she'd be invoking the 25th Ammendment every chance she could get. This is extremely dangerous for our country, and I hope Barack has taken her off his "short" list. If she wants to redeem herself, she needs to campaign hard for Obama, and maybe after she has earned his trust, a cabinet post may be offered to her.

June 4, 2008 at 8:14 pm |
  11. Jane Angela

I think Hillary is not used to losing. She has not handled this campaign very well. She should be ashamed of her performance last night, she is a sore loser.
    why should Obama choose her as a VP, she is smart, capable, however, her high need to always WIN, she will undermine him at every possible moment and event.
    Obama do not trust her, do not make your first strategic plunder. Place her in your government, but never in the most trusted position ie your VP...... Do not let anyone force you to take her.

June 4, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  12. Ron Carson

Anderson,

Just more of the same from reporters associated with CNN. I have come to expect nothing different on this matter. Tom Foreman asks what about Clinton's negatives when considering her for the ticket. Her negatives according to who? 18 million Americans found nothing negative and to me, that is 18 million reasons to put her on the ticket. That is if you want to win in November. Also, all of the buzz among the political pundits is "How do the democrats unite the party?" In fact Jack Cafferty asked this question on his "Cafferty File" segment today on "The Situation Room" Here is my response and something that I wish someone would have the backbone to discuss, regardless of the consequences. The American people, especially the 18 million people who voted for Sen. Clinton, deserve to know. Why is it, despite everything that she and President Clinton have done for the American citizens, are they constantly being hammered and accused of things, such as, being racists. I never heard that mentioned during his entire time in office. In fact, he was called the "first African-American" president. How soon we forget. Adds new validity to "What have you done for me lately" Which in the case of the Clinton's, remains quite a bit. Anyhow here is my response to Jack Cafferty's question about party unity. I know it will die here, but at least I tried.....

Thanks from "Disgusted in Florida"

Jack,

A good place to start is for him to tell his most vocal supporters, especially the ones that are always shooting their mouths off on CNN, to put a muzzle on it. So called "CNN Contributors", like Roland Martin, for one, are not helping the "unity" cause. Also the DNC could really help themselves in this matter by toning down so called democratic strategists, like Jamal Simmons, that are given the privilege of representing the party on CNN. They may not even realize that their comments are coming off as very condescending and arrogant, by the 18 million democrats on the other side of the fence who voted for Sen. Clinton. In fact just several minutes ago I heard Roland Johnson telling the CNN audience that he had just spoken to insiders in the Obama camp. He claims, and I am paraphrasing, that the insider said there is absolutely no chance of Clinton appearing on the ticket. True or not, this thing needs some time to cool off a bit. Comments like these add fuel to the already volatile situation.

In conclusion, everyone at CNN needs to tone it down a bit, including you Jack. As James Carville stated, this thing needs to be handled properly if the party wants unification and victory in November.

Perhaps, however, that is exactly what the CNN executives do not want. If one was a "conspiracy theorist" they could deduce that you all were instructed to act in a very biased, and frankly unprofessional, manner towards the Clinton's and their campaign to win the nomination. Perhaps CNN wanted Senator Obama to be the democratic candidate all along. After all, the republican machine will surely turn up some nasty little tidbits in his closet, even though the press refused to do so. This is inevitable and when it does occur, gives the republicans a much stronger chance of retaining the White House, and will also ensure that all corporate executives will continue to receive their very generous tax breaks.

Now, isn't that an interesting thought?

June 4, 2008 at 8:00 pm |
  13. Kathie

Anderson,

I believe that Obama should ask Hillary to be his VP. I think it would be the only thing that might save the Democratic Party at this point. Many Clinton supporters feel that the DNC has failed us in many ways and may have become a useless entity at this point.
    I am from Florida. They have let me down in 2000, 2006 and their "in your face" display to award Obama the nomination before the last two states votes were counted was a slap in the faces of 18 million democratic voters.
    I don't believe that Obama will win if he does not give all democrats something to look forward to. Making Hillary VP would allow us all to feel good about voting in November. Many of us feel that he is just too far left and McCain is too far Republican. All to many of us feel we have no horse in this race anymore.
    Bottom line for me is: If he puts the best interest of the voters ahead of his own selfish desires, I can vote for him. If he does not, then his message will not meet his actions. I have been the recipient of his selfish concerns coming before the best interest of the voters already. He now has to show me that his message has any validity at all.

June 4, 2008 at 7:54 pm |
  14. Larry

Obama needs to ask her before McCain does

June 4, 2008 at 7:06 pm |
  15. Lily

Obama has won. Deal with it Hillary.

Shame on Hillary. I don't want to see her as VP; she has issues...

June 4, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  16. Larry

I'm looking forward to getting the same health care system as Barack.

June 4, 2008 at 6:49 pm |
  17. Rachel

Look around, folks, there are so many strong, wise, accomplished and gracious women in Democratic party on every level.
    give them enough exposure to see that they are excellent leaders and team players, America will fall in love with them.

Why is still such obsession with Hillary? yesterday she put herself on history shelf.

June 4, 2008 at 6:47 pm |
  18. Lynn from Ky.l

Barack is crazy if he thinks he's going to win without Hillary as VP-there's too many of us "older" women out there to make sure he doesn't!!!

June 4, 2008 at 6:44 pm |
  19. Larry

What is wrong with Sect. Rice as Obama's VP choice?

June 4, 2008 at 6:44 pm |
  20. Iisha

In no way should Senator Clinton be the VP, but here's an idea. Who else can unite the democratic party? How about Al Gore!! He would help Obama win hands down!!! A lot of people would vote for him simply because he was robbed I'm sure he's still interested!!

June 4, 2008 at 6:38 pm |
  21. PEmmert

Tess,
    I agree..AC for VP and while we are at it, let's add David Gergen to the list, as well!

June 4, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  22. John from Oregon

HRC for VP in a word NO!!!!

HRC needs to put her ego aside and listen to what Dean said at the rules committee meeting:

"It is not about you, it is about the country"

June 4, 2008 at 6:08 pm |
  23. Rose Hann New London, CT

I don't think Hillary wants the VP. I think she wants to be asked, but will say NO! I have never seen a campaign like this where all pundits were so brutal to this woman. "Iron my shirts" a sign she addressed. I never saw anyone ask Obama to shine their shoes. Why is sexism so acceptable, while tip toe at race is so sensitive. We have an African American nominee for the PRESIDENCY and race matters as does gender. Leave this woman alone. I am so disgusted with all those who contributed to her demise. I hope she is asked and I hope she refuses, She's better then that!

June 4, 2008 at 6:07 pm |
  24. Bruce

Now the Democratic Primary is over, one has to remember the number of voters who actually voted for Hillary. Despite many individuals who dismiss her (& elevate Barack), she actually won the popular vote. And I'm including Caucus States in my total taken from the Election 2008 Map Room on MSN.com (in fact, where a State has held noth a Caucus and a Primary, I've counted both).

So, out of a total of 35,302,858 people who voted, Hillary received 17,509,901 votes (49.60%), Barack received 16,834,220 votes, including all the uncommitted votes from Michigan (47.69%), with the rest of the pack & undecided getting 958,737 votes.

Even if you excluded Michigan completely, Hillary has received 17,181,750 votes, over a half million more than Barack without the uncommitted votes from Michigan (16,596,458 votes).

In fact, you would have to eliminate Florida where both candidates were on the ballot to bring these candidates close (Hillary – 16,324,542: Barack – 16,027,417).

My point? By obtaining my votes than Barack, Hillary has earned a major voice in what the Democratic Party decides for the Fall, whether it be a VP spot, or something else she wants. I'd be careful before I dismiss her – it'll be at the peril of the Democratic Party.

June 4, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  25. Sharon, LA, CA

Having Clinton as a running mate would be the worst decision Obama could make. Not only would he constantly have to watch out for her deceit but Bill would be running wild as well. It's time for the Clintons to say good-bye. They had their shot and blew it. I still haven't forgiven Bill for blatantly lying while in office. Why should I trust him – or her – now, especially given her tendency to sway the facts to her own thinking? I am amazed by her supposed following – I just don't get it. Are people so desperate they'll believe anything?

June 4, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  26. Steve Hoagland

Surely the opportunity to become VP and another shot at the presidency will reveal whether Hillary is wise or foolish.

June 4, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  27. Tess Lancaster, PA

First, I must say I did vote for Hillary because I do believe she would be ready day one, but Obama won. He is ready in a different way, to be the leader we need to bring us together. My dream ticket dream at the beginning was for Hillary to be Pres and Obama to be VP and in training to take the next 8 years.

I DO NOT think she should be the VP. We all have worked for a younger boss that doesn't have our experience – and it will drive her crazy. Plus I think the spouses will butt heads too.

I think he should help her save face by acknowkedging how smart she is and that she will undoubtedly be one of the key people that turn this country around – but the best position for her to make the most impact has not been determined yet.

Lastly, I think as long as we are shaking things up with someone that is out to change the way the government does business, I'd like to propose Anderson Cooper as the VP. Ever since Katrina and the passion he showed, I would vote for him in a heartbeat. I trust him.

June 4, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  28. Tess

In a weak moment, I felt Senator Clinton would be a wise choice for VP but her message last night, attempting to diminish a moment of phenomenal history making and victory for Senator Obama, was stunning. Once again, she remained true to her colors... it's all about Hillary. How would the president ever manage government issues, with a VP exerting such force for attention to herself? Avoid this disastrous option.

June 4, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  29. Patricia

I think Obama has opened window and is an absolute breath of fresh air.

Making Hillary the VP would in essence close that window. She has proven time and again she will walk her own path. She does not respect anyone who she feels can't do something for her. She has not yet shown the respect truly due to Obama. If she were party conscience she would start supporting Ombama, rather than playing this new game.

She has already proven she will do as she pleases so to think he will support the Democratic party if she isn't VP. Oh yes, enough to make sure she doesn't do too much damage, after all she will be looking at a reelection in the Senate.

Did anyone notice the bid for her daughter in 2016? Did you see the button. I think it's called subleminal sugggestions. Please tell me people are not that blind!

Change! That is what Obama is about. We need that change and most definitely need the Lobbiests to disappear alon with addition those little hidden agendas on the end of Bills that must pass.

Please, think about what you've seen in this process and leave the emotion out of it. Really look at this – from an objective point of view.

Clinton is not in our Country's best interest.

Pat from Va

June 4, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  30. Royce

Of course she should be the VP – this would not even be a question were the situation reversed and she had barely beat him to the nomination and he had more popular votes. I for one will be a McCain Democrat if she doesn't get the VP slot.

June 4, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  31. Janet, 60+White Female American via Canada

VEEP Clinton! That Doom Train Wreck!

President Obama needs someone devoted to the Amberican People not themself!

June 4, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  32. Don Beaudry

Let's remember that Senator Kennedy of Massachusetts and all other major office holders supported Obama - but Hillary won that State. Where can Obama find a VP that carries more weight than Ted does in our country? Hillary is Hillary! Looking across our landscape, it seems to me that without Hillary it will be a very close election with race playing a more important role, on both sides, as election day approaches. Blacks rushing to support Obama and conservative white Deomocrats rushing to support McCain. Georgia is one State for sure that will follow this trend. It is easy to see Louisiana and Mississippi also following this trend. With Hillary, I see them together getting 278 electoral votes. That sounds like a winner to me. I think the most important swing state for him without Hilllary is Florida. Here again who can help him most?

June 4, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  33. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Hillary won't be on the ticket and it's her own fault, she has nobody to blame but herself. She posted so many negative attacks and then blamed others. She cried, she won, and when she lost she attacked very negatively. Hillary will probably look back and see things she could have done different.

June 4, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  34. Dave - Not a US citizen

I don't see a downside to Hillary as VP. Are Obama supporters who hate HRC going to support McCain if she is selected VP. Not Likely !

So who is she going to alienate ? The 55 million Republicans or the 40 or so million Independants. Obama isn't really drawing in the Inde's, at least no more than HRC is. The point for democrats is getting enough of the registered 72 million democrats plus some Inde's to beat out the 55 million voting republicans. Which means getting high percentages interested enough to vote, and using as much of her 18 million happy supporters to your advantage. I think VP's can be made to tow the line or else be made to become irrelevant when necessary.

You have 65% of Americans siding for stopping the war, democrats with HRC as VP will clean up, then Pres Obama can show his leadership qualities by finding suitable projects for the Clinton family. I think she can work it as VP, love her or hate her.

Why take a chance when you can have 100% of her supporters

June 4, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  35. David

I'd like to state from the outset that I am not a US citizen and I accept that my comment here may not be the best informed.

Having said that, from a 'global' perspective of the US, normally based on personality first, in depth exploration of values and policies later I will press on.

Being democratic, as I understand it, is about going along with what the majority want and being part of a club, as the Democratic Party is, involves accepting the rules and constitution.

I, like most others no doubt, have a great empathy with the underdog. There's nothing quite as heroic as the battler who refuses to stay down. The never say die attitude. The "try, try, try again" approach. But as with all competition, there is an eventual winner and an eventual 'runner up'.

I'm not suggesting that Hillary Clinton is undemocratic, but if the performance witnessed last night is representative of how she will conduct herself when faced with 'doing the right thing', can she still believe in the cold light of day, that she has any credibility left as a potential leader?

Her display was reminiscent of press conferences held by Tariq Aziz at the height of the Iraqi mauling at the hands of the coalition. Despite clear and undeniable evidence to the contrary, she continued to deny what was obvious to everyone else. Now to some, this stance may appeal, however to most I suspect, her reluctance to do the right thing was simply an embarrassment regardless of your politics.

Hillary nailed her true colours to the mast in New York last night. Selfish, self publicising and despite what she may claim about concerns for others, over all self interested.
    Obama and Clinton? The Democrats cannot afford to let that train leave the station..... Well not if they want to win anyway.

June 4, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  36. Carol Arney

I went to Hillary's website last night and the things I was reading on it made me feel ill. The hundreds of people who responded have no concern for defeating McCain or uniting the Democratic Party. The majority wanted her to either hold out until Denver or run as an independent. Voices of moderation or those who would support Obama were told there was no place for them on that website. Who knew she had these Hillary loyalists who put her ahead of what's best for the Democratic Party or the country? No wonder she hesitates, but I hope she is smarter than they are!

June 4, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  37. Alexander O

Hillary should make good on her word and support the party's nominee willingly and without the proconditions that she now seems to be hinting at. A lesser person would be gloating and thumping his chest but In his speeches yesterday and today Obama has shown great humility and character by reaching out to her. His actions are in line with his words. They reflect a change in the way politics is done. Hillary on the other hand continues to demonstrate the old way of doing things with threats and antagonism being the order of the day. A historic day for America is overshadowed by so much ill will created by Hillary's stance.

As an Obama supporter I for one know not to hate, dislike, dispise or shun Hillary supporters but it's unforgivable for Hillary to use them in the manner that she is doing. She is trying to potray them as the driving force behind her actions but I refuse to beleive that 18 million Americans want her to be mean spirited. I would rather beleive they want her to exhibit a goodness and fair mindedness that doens't ask for the rules to be changed whenever things aren't going her way and the graciousness to do what's best for the party without leaving this room for bitterness and acrimony to build up.

What an opportunity last night was. What an opportunity this situation is. I'm still hopefull that she will still show that she is worthy of the support 18 million American gave her.

June 4, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  38. Kee

Give Hillary a cabinet post not the VP slot. Her ridiculous attempts to hold Obama hostage with the votes she won is as disgusting and distasteful as her negative campaign and WH past.

June 4, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  39. GB in Los Angeles, CA

Hillary handled the situation very poorly last night. The very LEAST she should have done was to acknowledge that Barack crossed the threshhold of the number of delegates needed to claim the nomination (she could have done that without actually conceding, although it would have been nice for her to concede, as well, so we could all get on with it). In what should have been his night, she made it all about her. I don't think she should be the veep, although out of consideration for her and her supporters, I don't think he should immediately take it off the table, but that he should consider her among several others. Someone suggested that Michelle Obama would not allow it, which I strongly disagree with. I saw her in an interview in which she was asked about her role in helping to choose the veep and she genuinely and quite adamantly said she had no say in the matter and did not want to have any say. I believe her.

June 4, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  40. Robert from MASS

Hilary Clinton is just wrong ffor V.P. She is just plain offensive and power hungry.I'm going with Colin Powell A republican and a man with war xp to balance out Obama's supposed weaknesses

June 4, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  41. Alicia

I am a Hillary supporter. Part of about 18 million strong. All the CNN pundints last night were anti-Hillary. CNN is as unbiased as a dictatorship run program, and you have been given a skewed perspective. Not one of you understood the point in her speech when she mentioned the word respect. Wake up Obama lovers. He won by a small margin. As a Clinton supporter I will make this real clear. If Obama does not have enough sense to heal the divide in this party, by reaching out to Hillary, then he has no business being our next president. I, like many people, will do a write in for Hillary. If McCain wins, at least I know he understands what "reaching across the table to get things done" means. Obama's push to lessen the voting power of the Florida & Michigan delegates proves he is a Dividing influence, and our country cannot afford to stand still for 4 years. And, by the way, Obama does not officially get the nomination until an official count is done at the convention.

June 4, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  42. PEmmert

I too, am dissappointed and frustrated with Hillary Clinton's lack of respect for Barack Obama's win, the lack of respect for her very own party, and the lack of respect for herself. If an individual lacks the fortitude to accept a loss as a loss, then where is the honest moral commitment in that individual to operate as a decent human being in any other public arena.

We as a nation put so much emphasis on winning, that from a cultural standpoint losing is the Scarlett letter of failure. To lose is not a failure if one can extract the lessons and growth from that loss. But, to lose and lose sorely truly is the epitomy of failure. Any other candidate would have accepted the loss, congratulated Barack Obama and politely conceded so that the good of the party can prevail and move forward to take the office of the Presidency in November.

The rhetoric that is taking place amongst some of the media and Hillary supporters that this notion of her becoming his VP would ensure the Democrats a win against John McCain in the Fall is ridiculous. Barack Obama has energized a nation without Hillary on his side. He has raised record numbers in campaign donations without Hillary on his side. He secured the nomination with the most number of Delegates and Super Delegates without Hillary on his side. Barack Obama can definitely win this election and lead our country without Hillary Clinton.

I understand the need to reach out to her supporters to unify the Democratic party ...but I fully believe he has the ability to do this without being coerced into taking her as the country's second in command. Just as those think he will pull in her supporters if they were to team up, he will most definitely lose some of his supporters by allowing the Clintons and politics to control a decision that is his to make.

I truly believe that this IS our country's moment and I know that Barack Obama will ultimately make his choice of a running mate based on his values and not those of the Clinton's "strong arm" tactics.

Hillary, do yourself a favor...salvage the dwindling respect and gracefully step aside.

June 4, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  43. sandy

I do personal polling all the time. There are many people in this area who are lifelong Democrats who will not vote for him unless she is on the ticket. Likewise, but more in other areas, there are those Clinton haters who will not vote for him if she is on the ticket. I guess that means that he needs to make a decision. No matter what all these negative commentaries say, I believe that the two of them both believe they are the best candidate and they want what is best for America. I think that we could use a good team...perhaps change and experience...perhaps not. But one thing for sure is we have to quit this harping and hating to get the Democrats in the White House. Remember that it takes teamwork to get a job done and there is not an"i" in the word team. Hate and dissension will destroy the best. I believe the Democrats are the best party...lets not let hate and dissension destroy us!

June 4, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  44. carol

Sen Clinton will be the only one for the VP.come november Sen Oboma will never be the president without her supporters,he need's her more now than ever.give her her time and space

June 4, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  45. Stephanie

You certainly make a lot of assumptions about how everyone will vote if this happens or that happens, but I guess that is why you blog. No one can foresee the future.

The Democrats I know refuse to vote at all if he doesn't pick Hillary. One person I know wants her to take it all the way to the convention floor and to the third vote. As much as the Obama supporters (and reporters) want her to bow out, her supporters do not, and there are millions of us.

June 4, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  46. Susan

Senator Clinton should forget the VP spot. I do not think playing second fiddle would suit her personality. Not a bad thing !

Being the policy wonk that she is, she should go back to the Senate where she will have MORE power to engage in the legislative process and bring about the changes in government that she has spoken of with so much passion.

She can always run again in 2012.

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

June 4, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  47. Joyce-Houston

It is time for the Superdelegates to rally around Obama when the race first started he had to fight Hillary, Bill, John Mccan, and George Bush.
    He don't have much time to debate Mccain if Hillary don't concede.
    Her supporters keep saying she have time NO Obama don't have time because the race went on for four extra months.
    No Obama/Clinton Ticket that would be a total Nightmare/Ticket it would be like"Sleeping With The Enemy".

June 4, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  48. Doug

If this were the NBA Western Conference finals this would be like Tim Duncan talking to the press saying "we're going to show up at practice tommorow and get ready for Boston." (after losing the series to LA) This makes no sense.

She looks more and more like a egomaniac everyday her debt grows larger. Face it, if you can't run a campaign, you can't run the country. Hillary, let me know if you need a GPS for the high road. I'd be glad to show you how it works.

June 4, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  49. Sayileela

I donot think Hillary will be put on Obama ticket. It is not a dream ticket.
    I just "hope" she won't become "Ralph Nader" and try on as an Independent candidate. It is a far fetched, but the way she is not letting go makes me say this.

June 4, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  50. Annie Kraft Naples FL

more like a train wreck...and a blackmailer

June 4, 2008 at 3:55 pm |