May 29th, 2008

Exciting theater, but what does it change?

Candy Crowley
CNN Senior Political Correspondent

Bloggees-
Long time no blog. Yesterday does not count. That was an unauthorized posting–no names here, but you know who you are. It was an internal e-mail I sent to colleagues and such, explaining the big primary doings this Saturday–more later...

I can't account for my whereabouts in the past months. It's like somewhere between the snow in Ohio and the 80 degree heat in denver, I got buried by sniper-fire in Bosnia and bitter voters and Jeremiah Wright and RFK and.....thousands and thousands more votes and exit polls and planes, trains and automobiles...runnin over the same ole ground and how we found, the same old fears. Wish you were here. (Plagiarized)

Anywho, when I dug myself out, there I was in Colorado with Barack Obama thinking, "wait a second, didn't we already do Colorado?" We did. Obama is not waiting until the numbers add up. He's general campaigning. (An advisor told me "McCain is out there shooting free throws and we need to get in that game." We need more women advisors to put a lid on these endless sports metaphors).

So, to catch you up to the current state of play in the democratic primary. Hillary Clinton is campaigning through South Dakota for the second day in a row, and Barack Obama is taking a down day in Chicago. Need I say more? Of course, for all I know, Obama could be behind closed doors, splitting atoms, but he's not campaigning-in public.

Nonetheless, here I sit on a plane at the "Denver" airport-which I swear is not even in Colorado. We are an hour late for takeoff, for a flight to Chicago (where I will try to find out about the atom-splitting). The pilot says they're fixing something. Comforting (they're fixing it) and disconcerting (what exactly is wrong?)

About Saturday. HRC supporters planning demos outside the DNC, where inside the RBC will decide what to do about seating the Dels in Fla. And Mich. Im sorry I just had to write that sentence for the faithful blogee who complains about all the initials.

What I mean is the Democrats' rules and bylaws committee is meeting to figure out how to seat Florida and Michigan delegates in a way that does not implode the party and pleases the following entities: Michigan officials. Florida officials. Clinton supporters. Obama supporters and national democratic party officials. Think Balkans.

As exciting as all the theater may be–don't we all kinda know the end of the story–make that, this chapter? Cover your ears if you want to watch it live. They will cut the delegations in half–either half the delegates will be seated at the denver convention or all will be seated with half a vote each. Then the delegates will be divided up in such a way that Hillary Clinton picks up just 30 or so delegates. Obama will maintain his lead in elected pledged delegates. And we will be pretty much where we are.

And we will see who's willing to let it go with that and who is not.

If i am wrong on this, you may beat me up (in the literary sense), Monday. And consider this: Let's say (and this will NOT happen) that Hillary Clinton gets her fondest wish–all delegates seated in both states and counted proportionately to primary results–ZERO delegates for Obama in Michigan where he was not on the ballot. She will still be behind him in delegates. Will it enhance her superdelegate case? She thinks so. lets do spin post-Saturday.

You will need to watch this for me, dear readers, as I will be in Southern Virginia at a "tasting" (brave new world out there) helping choose the meal to be served at the august nuptials of my first born son. Like everyone out there, my life straddles the real and the surreal–and if we are very lucky, we know which is which.

Plane pulling back. It's fixed. Right?

Filed under: Barack Obama • Candy Crowley • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. rufus ,ct

Molly....it's the other way around...Hillary and Bill started it .then talking about Kennedy's asasination..Dont put blame on Obama...get your facts straight

May 30, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  2. rufus ,ct

Hillary Clinton needs to stop her nonsense...dont break up the democratic party...you lost give it up

May 30, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  3. Tammy From New York

Candy Crowley, Iv'e been hearing about this story with Hillary Clinton. A court case with Peter Paul. This is all over youtube. I never heard anyone challenge it. The you Tube video's state she has to testify in court in November. Is this story true. We look for the media to tell us the facts, throughout this campaign I never heard facts about Hillary Clinton. Could you or someone at CNN let the viewers no about this Peter Paul case. Is it a real case or not.

May 29, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  4. Valerie

After Saturday, and Tuesday it will be nice to know who the nominee is and it will be nice to get on to win in November.

Sen. Obama is not accountable for every thing that falls out of an individuals mouth. Lets move on. Tuesday can't get here fast enough.
    But there is one thing I agreed on with the paster. Sen. Clinton do act as though her father willed her the White House.

May 29, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  5. Tom from Ohio

It's amazing to me how diluted people can be when looking at this race.
    People are saying Hillary has the popular vote? Right now she does not. We'll see come Saturday, but keep in mind the Primaries are based on delegates.
    Doesn't the popular vote count? Sure it does, and Obama has many more delegates which are based on the popular vote in each contest. Not to mention a lead in Super-Delegates.
    She's the stronger candidate? She is far behind and polls recently show Obama with a larger lead over McCain.
    The way the media is treating Clinton is unfair? She has been too far behind to catch up for quite a while. No one else is willing to point out the obvious to her, why not the media?
    And my favorite, the sexist treatment thing. Women voters are a majority in many places. About the only national sexist thing I have seen so far is how women are upset she is behind and one of their own is not going to win so they should vote for the opposition instead of the front runner. There is no polite way to ask what moron started that idea.

May 29, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  6. Connie from Ohio

all the news shows was saying that Obama was the winner, and I think after Friday and when the committee meets and if they devide the delegates (which is the only fair thing to do) he will be the winner and the republicans have been campaigning and saying bad things about Obama. I think he is also trying to see his girls as much as he can.

May 29, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Bet

Be fair to Hillary, she's the stronger candidate. She has dedicated her life to public service. She's all work and no fake show.
    It's painful to watch the way she's been treated by the media. It's senseless.
    We need her to win in November, she's our only hope.
    More power to her,
    Hillary keep on truckin', we need you!!!

May 29, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Paula

I don't think the DNC meeting will help her.She turned off too many voters and she relied too much on her husband's term of office.I'm thinking they will only seat delegates with 1/2 vote,which they should be glad for since the rules must be followed.Ironic she got beat though by her own campaign manager's rules.Judging from her disapproval rating as well,a lot of the voters who cast for her were probably Republicans creating chaos.These Pastor stories aren't having any effect either,not even the one tonight.Nobody cares where people go to church?Some things just have no bearing.We are all more concerned about the economy CNN.Obama should not apologize for every pastor who makes remarks,nor should Mcain.Nobody asks Bill to apologize.And he has made plenty.Is CNN ever going to report on the issues or must we all switch channels?

May 29, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  9. mario

I agree completely

May 29, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  10. Susan

Candy is one of the most articulate, insightful and interesting women on CNN.

May 29, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  11. Mado in Canada

Hey Candy. I admire you so much. I depend on your unbiased and very clear analysis of the situation to know what is actually happening on the campaign trail. I still cannot tell just who you may want to win the nomination, but I want to say that I am so impressed by Obama that I think he should win and I hope he does. I used to admire Hillary, but she has droped considerably in my estimation and I don't think she deserves the nomination. She is too harsh and very polarizing and carries too much baggage, not the least of which is her husband and all his baggage. She completely lost me in Bosnia! Congrats on the upcoming marriage of your son. Have fun, you deserve a good break. I really like Anderson too!

May 29, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  12. Lisette Chicago, IL

Hillary thinks she can win the Primary
    Bush thinks he can win the War in Iraq
    Both of them are delusional.

May 29, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Molly

Obama is a FRAUD!!!
    Can you see the RIOTS IF Hillary or McCAin's church had a guest pastor and ranted these RACIST comments???
    To say "I;m sorry IF I offended anyone" – is just NOT enough. How will obama spin this now???? Thought the new pastor was the good guy since the old Wright left – Same church – Same RACIST message- DISGRACE!
    Look how Sharpton & Jackson jumped on Bill Clinton for innocent comments made in SC – hardly can compare –
    What a FRAUD!!!!! Obama has DIVIDED this country – into pieces – and set race issues back 200 years – thought we were past all that – guess not according to Obama's pastor and church!

May 29, 2008 at 9:58 pm |
  14. Lisette Chicago, IL

George Bush thinks he can still win the war in Iraq

Hillaey thinks she can win the Primary

They both are delusional

May 29, 2008 at 9:52 pm |
  15. Franky

"(An advisor told me “McCain is out there shooting free throws and we need to get in that game.” We need more women advisors to put a lid on these endless sports metaphors)."

LOL!!!!!!!!! "I'm open Senator McCain! Pass it"! LOL!!!!! That's funny! And by the way, who doesn't like the metaphors??? LOL!!!!! I got more where that came from! LOL!!!

To be honest Candy, in my opinion, as a man watching the first woman to try and be the President, I think Hillary could've had the nomination in her own grip and to tell you the truth, there's no question this couldv'e been a different situation than it was probably many months ago..................let me just sum it up with this...........remember when Hillary took that first shot??? Let's just say that sometimes, just sometimes we men would love to see a woman that hardly we see........especially at the Presidency. Is good to be "bad" but if you are a lady, you won't be seen as bad, you'll be seen as what sometimes how this game is played.........."If you wanna talk like the boys, then you're gonna get treated like the boys".........actually, my sister(The Republican one) believes Hillary is a drama queen. And we know how drama queens are viewed...........

But don't worry Candy! I'll get some up with some cool metaphors next time! And with style....LOL!!!! It'll be a dedication to the ladies out there for Hillary.....you see, I respect the ladies, LOL!!!

May 29, 2008 at 9:50 pm |
  16. Lisette Chicago, IL

Hillary and George Bush are alike

He thinks the War in iraq can be won.

Hillary thinks she can win the Primary

Both are delusional

May 29, 2008 at 9:48 pm |
  17. Annie Kate

Hey Candy!!

So great to see you back on the blog. I love your posts. I bet since we heard from you last you have racked up a bunch of miles. Hope you can use them for a fun trip sometime.

So your son is getting married. One of my daughters just got married – on my birthday no less. The wedding was wonderful and I was so enthralled with it all I forgot to cry. I will give you a hint – don't forget to cry if you want to be seen as an adequate mother of the groom. I failed in being an adequate mother of the bride – my daughter when she asked me if I cried and I said no, was I suppose to, told me that yes I was suppose to but she guessed she should be grateful I didn't turn cartwheels when they were pronounced man and wife. After thinking about it I think she probably was lucky that I didn't do that!

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

May 29, 2008 at 9:43 pm |
  18. Charles

Candy,

I am a recent listener to CNN. I like your presentations of the news. They are balanced, informative and well reasoned. Just wanted to say thanks for your view and work.

May 29, 2008 at 9:34 pm |
  19. George Ft. Lauderdale

The only rule the Democratic Party must go abide is the will of the people. What part of Democracy is not understOne candidate does not want my vote to be counted today; but, yes the same candidate wants my vote tomorrow. Sure!

May 29, 2008 at 9:13 pm |
  20. Kent Fitzsimmons,Illinois

Candy.........

I'm not sure how you do what you do............must feel like being in a rock band and traveling from state to state. Sometimes you must have to pause and say "where am I?" Pretty crazy. We are glad you do what you do. We want the news........today, right now. Thanks.......

May 29, 2008 at 9:12 pm |
  21. Marcella Surra

I am so sick of the Obama-Clinton drama! Why the remaining super delegates are reluctant to pledge themselves to Barack Obama is beyond me. Does the small, little fact that he has raised more money than Clinton and McCain mean nothing at all to them? That alone is enough to scare the pants off of the Republicans. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the Republicans are praying that Hillary actually gets nominated; they're used to ragging on the Clintons; it's familiar territory to them. However, Barack (aka Money Bags) is practically a boy scout. Moreover, the fact he was against the war is not something they relish debating over.

I understand that many of the remaining delegates are waiting to see the Florida /Michigan outcome; however, do you they really think that the DNC is going take their punishment away completely? Even if those states delegates are recognized, it'll still be a split for Hillary and Obama, which means she will have gained no ground. So why even wait for the outcome?

The remaining super delegates need to quickly pledge themselves to Obama who has proven that he not only has the fundraising ability to overcome McCain, but has an enormous support from the majority of delegates and voters across the nation. In the end, my guess is that voters' who support Hillary will eventually support Obama – voting in such a historical election will be irresistible. Plus, let's face it; McCain has the charisma of a turtle.

May 29, 2008 at 9:10 pm |
  22. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Candy,
    I bet a "tasting" will be a little breather of pure delight from the whirlwind of an election on spin cycle. I guess we all will have to wait until Saturday to get the scoop..It will be a "tasting" of things to come for the who, what and where this campaign season is going. Ain't going to be a picnic for someone? We'll see.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

May 29, 2008 at 9:04 pm |
  23. Kathy, Chicago

I don't think I really want to watch. I probably won't be happy with the results. I'm escaping to a surprise birthday party in Wisconsin Sat. afternoon. i'll keep my ears open to any good political talk and tune in to CNN Sat. night! Good luck with the "food tasting" and sorry, but I love the sports references.

May 29, 2008 at 8:38 pm |
  24. Angela, Ottawa, Canada

"in a way that does not implode the party and pleases the following entities"

And, ideally, I would imagine, also provides sufficient punishment to FL and MI to stop other states from trying to pull the same trick in four years, and holds true to some of the Democratic party's ideals of "every vote counts"

May 29, 2008 at 8:29 pm |
  25. Angela, Ottawa, Canada

"in a way that does not implode the party and pleases the following entities"

May 29, 2008 at 8:28 pm |
  26. jay

Candy,
    Before this year i rarely watched news, only sports, i didn't know you all or how the elections worked, I'm 47 year old black man and i only voted locally before, but thanks to you all at cnn and msnbc i am now well informed and up to date. can you tell me why fox news is for republicians.
    A. I think Bill has called in all his markers to keep his wife in the race with thesuperdelegates. I also think we are not giving enough play for those who did not go to the polls in Fla & Mich. because it would not count. so how many of those are counted in Hillary math.
    I think Mccain should leave a sleeping dog lie.

THX
    Jay

May 29, 2008 at 8:10 pm |
  27. Teresa

Candy, I have been curious for so long yet just haven't taken the time to do the math and research myself. If the DNC had the primary states as winner takes all delegates, which candidate would be ahead and would there currently be a nominee?

I beleive that the states that Senator Hillary Clinton won had the larger states, but can't remember. If you could please air this information, I'm sure other people would be curious as well. Thanks!

May 29, 2008 at 8:03 pm |
  28. sara. .minneapolis

Someone posted your work e-mail, Candy?! That's rather underhanded, and I'm sorry y'all apparently have that kind of work environment.

Anyway, it's always a lot of fun reading your (real) blogs! Have fun at the "tasting" and relax a bit–seems like sometimes you take your vacation cues from Anderson (i.e. don't end up taking them...). 🙂

May 29, 2008 at 8:02 pm |
  29. Cynthia

No comment on what Senator Clinton will try and do – she never ceases to amaze me (not always in a good way). But, I did want to say congratulations on your first born's upcoming wedding. Love your coverage of this exciting election.

May 29, 2008 at 8:02 pm |
  30. Larry

Candy, we miss you. We know that when you are on the show we don't get spin.

May 29, 2008 at 7:48 pm |
  31. Jay, Denver CO

Can you explain where the goal-posts will move next after the remaining contests and RBC meetings have concluded... there must not be an end to this ever...

The general elections in November are not the end... that is just the beginning of the 2012 campaign.

May 29, 2008 at 7:02 pm |
  32. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Candy we have missed you on the blog......you are fantastic 🙂
    I always enjoy your insight concerning this never ending campagin

Congrats on your son's upcoming wedding

May 29, 2008 at 7:01 pm |
  33. Ben hammond IN

Is there something im missing, honestly, because how can anyone argue for votes to be counted in Michagan when Barack wasnt even on the ballot. That absolutely makes no sense to me , and they say the patriots were cheaters!!! thats like winning the super bowl because the other teams plane crashes. I Guess people want the same old in by any means politics

May 29, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  34. Cindy

Candy,
    I always like your posts the best. You are so funny and out there. I know they run ya a lot but keep in touch more!!

Obama better not be counting his chickens before they hatch! He may end up with egg on his face! Just because he has the majority of votes means nothing. Hillary isn't out of this yet. He better concentrate on winning the nomination and not focus too much on McCain or Hillary may pull a fast one.

May 29, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  35. carmen

Hey Candy, great to see you on the blog and thanks for your good work. Just think, you could have been following McCain these last several months and have heard "My Friends" a thousand times LOL

May 29, 2008 at 6:46 pm |
  36. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Candy, Really enjoyed your blog today. Lots of laughs. Hope your plane is OK – man! No comment on the politics – I'm not too serious when it comes to that. I enjoy watching all the action and emotions though. It's interesting. Anyway, congratuations on your son. My son is 3 yrs old and he's the most handsome little guy and he's all MINE right now. However, I know that one day he'll eventually get married. That will be so weird! The real and the surreal – that's good. Enjoy your day today, hope the food tasting is successful. I suggest something with lobster / filet mignon, what'd you think?

May 29, 2008 at 6:42 pm |
  37. Ann

Obama doesn't need to keep campaigning. It will be over for him soon. Even if he is GIVEN the nomination after Saturday, he still can't win against McCain. Hillary supporters will never vote for him. Hopefully she will run as an Independent and walk all over him. He doesn't have the intelligence or integrity to run this country. So if the Obama supporters want to keep saying "Unite" the party, then get busy cuz if you don't unite with Hillary supporters...you gonna get McCain as President. It will NOT be Obama. He needs to go visit his spiritual advisor, Wright, and see if they can come up with something else to do. Leave the country and politics to someone who knows what they are doing...Hillary 2008/2012 Chelsea 2016/2020

May 29, 2008 at 6:40 pm |
  38. vanitea

Actually, that's pretty funny. Nice to see your humour.

May 29, 2008 at 6:39 pm |
  39. Janna

Candy Crowley, My pilot said the exact same thing last week departing from MIA- "fixing something". I had the exact reaction as you... and chuckled at the simplicity of his statement as well. I'm thinking-Take as much time as you need, please, fix everything, thank you..
    Thanks for the blog today. I have a delightful picture in my mind of Barack and Michelle hunched over a microscope together....

May 29, 2008 at 6:35 pm |
  40. Margaret

Barack Obama does not have the popular vote. He does not have enough pledged delegates to win without help from the supers. Basically, the super Ds are saying that the popular vote is less important than the number of pledged delegates. This is fundamentally undemocratic.

Obama blocked a revote in MI and FL, the only fair solution. He is great at manipulating political machines (learned that in Chicago) but his mandate is shaky at best.

Does Hillary's lead in the popular vote matter? If the democratic party were truly democratic it would, but seems like the party bosses are deciding this one.

May 29, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  41. CaseyJPS - California

Wow. Cool. Congratulations on the upcoming event in August. I always enjoy your insight and I like your style. Not everyone in the media can converse (in writing or as a talking head) to the average guy like me and make me understand, appreciate, and be interested, like you do. You have a gift and you get credit for engaging me. Thank you.

May 29, 2008 at 6:26 pm |
  42. seah ohio

Hillary will not quit, this country needs her

Obama is not presidential material, He is a National Security risk,.
    He does not have the best interest of the Country or the people at heart.
    He has his own agenda.

We need Hillary, She is for the people, For the government. Has worked hard for years for this country and has proven USA comes first. The people she will always defend and protect and fight for.

Hillary is our hope, our future.

May 29, 2008 at 6:23 pm |