May 16th, 2008

Obama calls Bush comments 'appalling.' Has words for McCain

David M. Reisner
360° Digital Producer

Sen. Barack Obama fires back after President Bush likened talking with Hamas to negotiating with Hitler.

Hey bloggers,

Yesterday we told you about comments President Bush made in a speech to Israel’s parliament. The president compared calls to talk with unnamed terrorist groups a 'foolish delusion.' (read more here)

Well today, Obama fired back.

Sen. Barack Obama slammed President Bush for launching "exactly the kind of appalling attack that's divided our country and that alienates us from the world."

Speaking at a campaign stop in Watertown, South Dakota, Obama also lambasted Sen. John McCain for "embracing" the president's "attacks on Democrats," and "suggesting that I wasn't fit to protect this nation that I love."

"So much for civility," Obama said, noting that McCain had talked about the need for civility in politics earlier Thursday.

He went on:

"After almost eight years, I did not think I could be surprised about anything that George Bush says, but I was wrong..."

"I have been adamant about not negotiating with Hamas, a terrorist organization that has vowed to destroy Israel and won't recognize them."

"If George Bush and John McCain want to have a debate about protecting the United States of America, that is a debate that I'm happy to have any time, any place, and that is debate I will win because George Bush and John Mccain have a lot to answer for"

"...The president did something that presidents don't do. That is launch a political attack targeted toward the domestic market in front of a foreign
delegation."

So what do you think? I have included a clip of the Sen. Obama's speech

Please share your thoughts

1. Henry

You have to wonder why do you want to have other person to take complete control over your life. All these politicans claim to be able to change the way the government does things. I have seen no change.
    I thought about this right to vote. It is very important to both you and the politicans. They crave your vote, for it is your personal permission for that politican to take complete control over your own life.

May 19, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  2. Claudia, Houston, Tx

McCain still hasn't released his medical records as promised, not that it would make much difference because he's just too old for the presidency. Why would anyone want a 71 year old man to be the decision maker of the United States when his sat in the Senate for 40 plus years and done nothing but vote for a failed war and Bush's policies.

May 19, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  3. Lebe

I 'm of the opinion that, this is one last chance America has to ambrace the Change that Barack Obama is echoing around the country. This the opportunity to get to track to find Bin-Laden because the current situation has demostrated that the US will never affort to get him while fighting in Iraq and intenting to get to war with Iran, which MR Mcain will obviously do once elected to power. The Bush Admin failed to help the Dafur situation and Africa is looking at MR Obama who is likely to have a different foreign policy. Its time that the Democrats stop critisising each other and start supportnig the likely nomenee"OBAMA", Join together and become that one "Unstopable force" then they will emerge victorious in November. Or thewise, the US will sink like a Titanic, economically.

May 19, 2008 at 5:26 am |
  4. jt

This just one example that Obama has no experience playing with the big boys.

Instead of crying in the media, he should have simply say "Hey the President is not talking about me because my foreign policy is not what is talking about.

Then talk about his program but Obama is a rookie and instead he whines.

May 19, 2008 at 2:38 am |
  5. Tammy, Oregon

Now that John McCain had to fire five of campaign team for being lobbyist. It time we keep vetting this matter. McCain had a to close for comfort relationship with lobbyist "Vicki Iseman", where is she? We demand the truth from the so called "straight talking express".

May 19, 2008 at 2:01 am |
  6. cheryl bonilla

well barrack obama was talking about how every one already involed in washington was owned well everbody jumped ship on hillary,so that proved to me that she owed no favors to any ind of groups or politicians so how come this has never been mentioned. and you know take the race card out of this election it doesnt go well with me anymorSe ive heard how the blacks have been treated so bad well so has poor white pple so we want to get started on that one i just would like for some one to mention how HILLARY HAS PROVED SHE OWES NO FAVORS TO ANY GROUPS OR POLITICIANS. but that has been brought up that is what barack obama yelled and yelled how washington was owned certain senators were bought off well she hasnt been

May 18, 2008 at 9:38 pm |