May 9th, 2008

Channeling Mike Huckabee

Steve Brusk
CNN Senior assignment editor

Here’s a little comparison of Hillary on the stump this week compared to Mike Huckabee in his final days.

Just wanted to share:
________________

Please debate me

Huckabee in Cleveland February 26th:

“I wish Senator McCain was debating me this weekend. I wish we were going to be in Cleveland tonight on stage or in Dallas or in Houston or San Antonio or ustin or somewhere between now and Tuesday having a debate. I think Republicans deserve that across the country, I think certainly Republicans in these states that are voting deserve that.”

Hillary in Central Point, OR late Thursday:

“They asked would we be willing to debate. I said absolutely, anytime, anywhere. I heard that my opponent just changed his schedule. He’s going to be in Portland tomorrow. I’m going to be in Portland tomorrow. I’ll meet him anywhere for a debate. There should be a debate about Oregon’s issues. I think that all of you deserve to have a debate particularly about these specifically Oregonian issues."

________________

What’s the rush?

Mike Huckabee in Houston on March 2nd:

“All of these people who for the last two or three weeks have been saying, let’s hurry and get ours over with. Well, what’s the hurry? It’s March. It’s barely March. The convention isn’t until September.

Clinton at the women’s fundraiser Wednesday in Washington:

“There is no cause for alarm, sometimes you got to calm people down a little bit. My husband did not get the nomination until June 2nd.”

________________

Everyone gets to play:

Huckabee in San Antonio on February 21st:

“It all happens here in Texas quite frankly, Texas changes everything if we win Texas...this is the largest single Republican state in America, it's the 2nd largest state in the country; to not have an election in Texas is frankly incomprehensible. For me to pull out of the election before Texans vote is not only unacceptable, it’s inexcusable, it would mean the people of Texas would have their decisions made for them.”

Clinton in Sioux Falls, SD Thursday:

“I’ve been looking forward to making this stop here in South Dakota because it’s really exciting what you’re going to have a chance to cast your voice, and they’re going to count in the picking of the nominee of the Democratic Party. Now some folks who have been arguing that we should stop voting. You know they wanted to stop voting, my goodness, before Super Tuesday, they wanted to stop voting before Pennsylvania. They wanted to stop voting before Indiana. I think the more democracy we have the better, to get people involved.”

________________

Not ‘til the magic number:

Huckabee in Cleveland on 2/26:

“We don’t feel there’s any obligation to withdraw from this race until somebody has the nomination, clinched 1,191 pledged delegates."

Clinton in Shepherdstown, WV Wednesday:

“So 2,209 or 10 is the number and at some point one of us will get there."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Mike Huckabee • Raw Politics
  1. Duke from Denver

I am proud of Huckabee and Hillary fighting to the end, it is an American principal whoever you vote for and something we have been taught and should continue to teach future generations, to never give up.

May 13, 2008 at 1:25 am |
  2. Raymond

Everyone screamed for Mike to drop out and he wasn't even last. Hillary needs to drop out because even with Mich and Fl she does not have the majority vote. She has made it clear she holds racial "tendencies" by infering the only hard-working Americans are white. Obama has won white, black, and all of thae classes and races of people. I am not voting for him because he's black, but because he's right. McCain is not the way. Everyone knows it. Notice that those who say they will support McCain just expresses their hatred for Barack. McCain said he doesn't understand the economy. Are you serious? You hate Barack that much that you will vote for someone who doesn't understand the economy? What is the main problem behind money issues in America? The ECONOMY!!! Vote the best candidate that is right for the country. ANYONE can beat McCain. Just mention the economy and he has no clue. Vote smart-vote Obama (because we do need change).

May 12, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  3. Claudia

I don't understand Hillary when she used the word "IF" this race were over a few months ago things would be different. I see that as the same thing as conceding that she is not going to win. I think Hillary is losing her "bearings" and this is not good. I sincerely hope Hillary doesn't suffer any serious problems other than her current debt of $20 million.

May 11, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  4. donna

Clinton supporters must not really be listening to what Hillary has been saying. At the start she agreed with the DNC that because Flordia & Michigan had their primarys moved up that they would not be seated. But now she's out there putting it like she cares about people being counted. She only thought that when she just knew Obama could not beat her. FAKE. Obama agreed at the start just like she did. So now she puts it out there like he dosent want peoples votes to count. He's just sticking to what he agreed to at the start. She needs to stop acting like the american people are dumb. Some of us are paying attention.

May 9, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  5. Kathy

I wonder if Hillary Clinton ever listens to the inane things she says – she says she is staying in the race so everyone has a chance to vote – completing disregarding the 40+ states that have already voted – and not for her in most cases. I also get pretty tired of hearing that Senator Obama cannot get white female over 50 voters (or, more recently, 'hardworking Ameicans – WHITE hardworking Americans'). I fit all three of those categories and I am supporting Obama – as are everyone of the 30 people in my book club. When I do run into a woman who is voting for Hillary and ask them why, they say things like "Well, she's ahead in the popular vote (untrue)" or "Because she's a woman!!!" Prior to this election I had a great deal of respect and empathy for Mrs. Clinton. She has since shown the world what she is truly made of – she will go to any lengths – even the destruction of the Democratic party – to try and do to Obama what Bush did to the Dems in both elections. My last comment is about what she said about the Reverend Wright controversy – that she would have just got up and walked out if she had heard such vile words. I think most of the women in this country wonder, if she's that tough, why didn't she "just walk out" when her husband did some pretty vile things publicaly and made her look like an idiot? Well, I feel better already. The majority of the people in this country seem to believe in Obama – this is, after all, a democracy – where majority is supposed to rule. Let's get rid of the "superdelegate" process!

May 9, 2008 at 6:14 pm |
  6. k in the Northwest

I agree with Karen. Obama is so uppity that he feels he can conceed a couple of states to Hillary.
    From what I have been seening of Oregon; winning Oregon isnt actually that big of a deal. Oregon has a very big Republican base going on lately.

May 9, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  7. Gary Chandler in Canada

Any donation to Clinton, going forward, should come with a guarantee it does not pay down the 12 million that Hillary owes the Clinton Campaign, don't you think?
    IF that debt is magically dissolved, or substantially reduced when she finally quits, there are terms that would cover that type of scenario. (ethics, morals, fraud, theft.)

May 9, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  8. Karen Mendocino,Ca

I have a question/comment...If I were Obama, I would be trying to get as many votes away from Hillary in West Virginia and Kentucky as I could, rather than simply conceeding the states. Didn't I hear him say he could win over many of Hillary's supporters? So why only go after votes he knows he is going win(i.e.in Oregon)? Why not try to cut into her support in these other two states?

May 9, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  9. V

i am sad when i read these cnn blogs. i always hope to learn from other americans like myself, instead its just hate and ignorance that i read. we are all human- sex, age, race- why does this matter to so many voters? we all pay taxes, purchase gas, know someone at war, worry about retirement, the environment, health care, inflation, losing our homes, feeding our families. this is what the election should be about, this should be where our energy is focused, this is what matters. not what color someone is, what so and so's husband did...i wish i could read these blogs and feel pride, but instead i just feel embarassed.

May 9, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  10. h young

I am so sick of Obamma. I think there are still hidden things that are not being told. I am a democrat and I would never vote for him. Too many questions. We are Americans what is wrong with us. Guess the republicans will win again. I think the peoples votes should carry the election not super delegates that can be paid or bribed.

May 9, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  11. Tammy, Berwick, LA

To Beverly-your brother made a choice just like every other soldier makes a choice. When you sign up, you take the chance of going into battle. My cousin is an Army major. My friend died three years ago as a result of injuries sustained while on duty in Iraq. They know the cost. We know the cost. I pray for their safety. Freedom isn't free. I'm glad the Americans of the Great Generation didn't feel the way many of you anti-war mongers do or we'd all be speaking German right now. I'm glad my friend, my cousin, your brother, and every other soldier out there understands that until Iraq is free and safe they need to be there. Maybe Obama and Hillary should sit in an embed for a week and see what reality in war is. God knows Hillary understands sniper fire.

May 9, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  12. spencer

Quit comparing the 2 one is a Repblican and was a Democrat...Everyone knows the differance.. get over yourself steve.....

May 9, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  13. Beverly

Janet Gray don't forget you pen on November 4th.

Ryan Gray and any other American who claims they will vote for McCain If Hilliary is not nominee ( she won't be ) or on the ticket ( she won't be VP either). I hope you have draft age children, nieces, nephews, cousins to go to Iraq, Iran, & Afghanistan. Then a black man in your precious white house will be the least of your worries. I wake up evey day, go to bed at night praying for my brother and his buddies in Iraq. Hoping that they do not have to deal with the hatred exhibited on these boards daily, and their safe return home. Think about that the next time you treat your vote so cheap because you are emotionally invested in one candidate.

Hillary will be fine, after she get a grip! She will be able to re-coup more than her 11 million dollar campaign loans. by giving speeches to any one willing to pay her fee. Will your life be any better under McCain?

May 9, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  14. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Of course, Huckabee was so much further behind McCain there was no question of Huckabee ever winning the delegate count or being elected Presdent in the General Election. In Clinton's case, she isn't that far behind in delegates, she is viable as a candidate in the General Election, and there is the possibility that the party could decide she needs to be the candidate to run against McCain if they stand any chance at all of winning this thing. While the quotes may be similar, the situations are far different in scope right now and far more is at stake.

May 9, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  15. Achen, AL

Skewed Democratic Nomination Process
    This year’s Democrat nomination is the most skewed process in terms of races, genders, and ages. The most striking skewers is the race. Take the NC primary as an example. 93% African Americans (AFA) voted for Obama in the NC primary, while only 39% of the rest voted for him. Yet, he had a big win (14%) over Hillary Clinton. Do you know that Hillary would need 30% AFA votes or 73% of non-black votes just to tie Obama? This over 90% AFA support of Obama has been prevailing key for Obama’s lead in the primary contest. The only chance that Hillary can still win is that the remaining voters and super delegates understand the above numbers, and make a wise choice for the more qualified candidate

May 9, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  16. Ryan Field

I'm white collar, well educated and so are all my friends. And with or without another debate, we can't wait to join forces and support John McCain if Hillary is not the nominee.

May 9, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  17. Kent, Illinois

Yeah, the similarities are there. Clinton is staying in for one reason I haven't heard voiced yet..........A BOOK. Personal greed is another reason to stay in the race. If she steps aside the book cannot be written with a proper ending. And, her movie of the week wouldn't be as good. Money, money, money..............the root of all evil.

May 9, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  18. Janet Gray

I keep reading all these blogs, and one that really got my attention
    when someone said in the beginning the blacks did not vote for Obama and he had to earn their trust. That is not true as the blacks started to vote for Obama after he won Iowa, they were afraid up until
    then because they did not want this to turn out to ba another Jesse
    Jackson embarassment to them. 98% of the black are voting for Obama not because they feel he is the best canidate, but because he is black. The Clintons have always fought for the African American
    community and they were loved by 99% of them.

I have voted democratic for 40 years, but if Hillary is not on the ticket
    I will write her name in or vote for John McCain. I will never vote
    for Obama as I will never vote for and anti american.

May 9, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  19. Beverly

Hillary, excatly what are the issues unique to Oregon. Are they immune to the economic woes of the other 49 states? Are they paying lower gas prices? No foreclosures in that state? Or could you not afford the airfare to Puerto Rico to pander for their 55 delgates.

May 9, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  20. Cindy

Yep...sounds just like Huckabee and he was a loser too! Wonder when she'll realize she hasn't got a shot and drop out gracefully like him?

May 9, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  21. Jenny

OH GOD. I do not think I can stand this until June 2nd. Geeze woman give it up you are more dogged than George II is about Iraq.

Jenny Rome ga