March 31st, 2008

When a candidate's background matters–or doesn't

As the Democrats continue their primary battle, John McCain has launched his biography tour as a way to re-introduce himself to voters. It will emphasize his half-century of public service highlighted by his military record and tremendous sacrifice.

But in an op-ed today, conservative commentator Bill Kristol argues biography alone won’t be enough for McCain to win in November. In fact, if you look back at the last four elections the candidates with stronger resumes all lost. And those four candidates, George H.W. Bush, Bob Dole, Al Gore and John Kerry, were all war veterans.

But for some Democratic voters biography has played a role in their decision. Many of Obama’s supporters specifically point to his diverse background as a factor for choosing him over Clinton.

So how much does a candidate’s biography matter to you? Does McCain’s provide an edge over either Obama or Clinton in a general election match-up? Will the historic biographies of becoming the first women or African-American give Clinton or Obama an advantage?

Send us your thoughts.

– Eric Bloom, 360° Producer

Filed under: AC360° Staff • Raw Politics
  1. mneil

Just a question for this post, is there any truth to the Hllary Clinton's fraud case in California? If there is case, she should drop out of the race.

April 1, 2008 at 2:01 am |
  2. Tim

I wish Mr Obama would leave his racist Church, this will be a HUGE PROBLEM down the road!!! Also he needs to listen to the Generals on the ground about Iraq. Why pull all of our Armed Forces out of Iraq regardless of what happens. Iraq and all the Middle East will not trust us anymore! We will have less respect from the World than we have now. The Middle East extremist love him. I am going to vote for McCain..

April 1, 2008 at 1:59 am |
  3. Timm

Why is no one mentioning the fact that radio republicans told their listeners to register and vote in the upcoming elections and vote for Clinton in order to prolong the Democratic race? I heard yesterday that many new democratic registrants have showed up in recently in Pennsylvania. Isn’t the Republican party the one that boasts the backing of the Christian moral majority. Is this really what Jesus would do?

April 1, 2008 at 1:52 am |
  4. Ellie

I'm not voting gender NOR skin color! I'm voting for competence, wisdom and Experience! So those " wild-eyed photos" of a very competent and strong candidate is not appropriate and won't change my vote. - Just a mom.

April 1, 2008 at 1:50 am |
  5. Robin Conner

I am totally afraid for my children and grandchildren. Will we elect a Senator who says if would be possible for our country to be at war for 100 years? McCain's background being a prisoner of war plays a lot into how he views other countries and his ability to negotiate or engage in war. I am truly grateful for all men and women who serve our country please do not misunderstand. Senator Clinton lied and said she ran for cover under sniper fire when she landed at Bosnia. You know I am just your average 6 pack Joette, but I believe if there was any chance of sniper fire the first lady and first daughter would not have been flying into Bosnia. I also believe if I was ever fired upon and running for my life I would remember it very vividly and would definately have nightmares expecially if my only child were with me. Rev Wright has put the spotlight on Obama only as it should have. I blame the media for a lot of this though. I've listened since day one. Imagine if we could praise each candidates strong points instead of trying to tear each one down. Just imagine if the media were to report the good things about each candidate. NO, we have to portray our candidates for the highest office in the land in the worse possible light. Is it any wonder the rest of the world has little respect for our country, we don't have any respect for ourselves. Yes the background matters, just not the crap the media keeps playing over and over and over again. Some of the candidates don't have to have much money, because the media does their work for them.

April 1, 2008 at 1:48 am |
  6. sam3dogs ( Steve A. Moore )

Erica, it seems to me that this election is coming down to the lesser of the evils. No one can take control, the lead, or distinguish themselves from the others. The high turnout can be contributed to the war, the polarization of the electorate is a direct result of the devisiveness in this country, Congress can't decide what to do on any major issue other than argue about them, and America is losing it's status and respect throughout the world. I don't know how old you are but, it seems like 1968 all over again to me. Ask Jack, Larry, and all your other senior correspondents about the 60's, especially "68", and the similarities will amaze you.

April 1, 2008 at 1:45 am |
  7. Ellie

Please, could you all stop cutting and pasting photos of Hillary Clinton as Wild-Eyed! - thanks. Just how many have you created? Why don't you just print them all at once and get them off your chests! Your losing credibility and my respect for your "Keeping it Honest" motto daily since you lost your objectivity and only present Obama as the favored "son", hmmmm. I'm not a feminist, but to see what you are doing to Hillary, tearing down all her and her supporters' hard work it is so sad and pitiful! It seems that there is nothing for all of you that she can do well, is there. She just might win despite all of you rather than because of all of you!– Bye the way, what is wrong with Obama's Left ear? or McCain's Left cheek (I know he has cancer there...) seems like their photos frequently favor their right sides. Just an observation. - just a Mom.

April 1, 2008 at 1:44 am |
  8. crystal mitchell

Backgrounds do matter, but the only background that the media seems to be concern with is Obama, where is Hilary's taxes? Where is Hilary earmarks? She keeps complaining that the media ia bullying her, how is that. Obama took a licking and kept on ticking. Hilary straight out lied and she want's no one to say anything.If she wants to be President then she needs to man up. And stop playing I am just a women. How can she lead if every time the going gets ruff she wanes. This race has been one sided, Obama against Hilary, Bill and the media.And she and her husband both wanes. It's like the Clintons can't be touch, Please! I would say that Obama answered the 3:00am call several times. Backgrounds count, of course McCain's background is extensive he's 72, Hilary is 60, Obama is 46???????????? I wish you people would really report on real news. These questions and the panel is stupid. This country is in a reccession and all you can talk about is late news.

April 1, 2008 at 1:34 am |
  9. Florida Democrate

Why is no one asking the question to Hillary why she thinks Obama is at fault for not leaving his church. When she still backs her husband who lied to the American population and said he didn't have sex with Leuwinsky?

April 1, 2008 at 1:11 am |
  10. SUSAN

ON THE SUBJECT OF CHELSEA. HOW COULD ANYONE ASK HER ABOUT HER FATHERS AFFAIR WITH MONICA. WHAT IF SHE WERE YOUR DAUGHTER WOULD YOU EVER EVEN CONSIDER THAT QUESTION FAIR GAME. I DON'T THINK SO . BE HONEST NOW.

April 1, 2008 at 12:57 am |
  11. fred

Now that the news media have decided the candidates, How about letting the rest of the people know what you think makes Oboma the best candidate. Background on Oboma seems to be taboo, How about the 80's and 90's when he was with Reverand Wright. At this time is when Wright and Farrikhan went to Libya to a meeting of Militants bent on sending money for the use of causing unrest in the United States. Oboma has called Wright his mentor, with ideas like Wrights and Farrikhans, how can we survive his being in office. His wife has said she never felt like an American, until now, what has changed to make her feel like an American, the same feelings she had back through her child hood are still present, the Church she attended with Wrigt would not have changed her. I do believe we need a good background check on all our candidates and their spouses. I like his speeches,but don't trust his or her background. They may be sleeper cell leaders using tax payers money to forward their interests.

April 1, 2008 at 12:39 am |
  12. Carla Ontario Canada

I agree with the above comments that Obama should have been fully vetted as we bloggers seem to have found plenty of "issues" about him that need to be to proved or disproved. Rezko, Pastor, house deal, Woods Fund of Chicago/Wm Ayers, etc.
    Also what did he accomplish as a State Senator/DC Senator, I couldnt tell you one thing because they dont want to report it.
    If he gets elected as prez and then some "sandal" comes out then what!!!!
    Wouldnt it be better to know sooner then later!!!
    PS Where is Michelle, she seems to be in hiding know, I wonder why. She would make a terrible 1st lady..
    GO HILLARY..Don't let them knock you down. Shame on them!!

April 1, 2008 at 12:35 am |
  13. Mel TEXAS

Well if we look at the history of great men even the greatest , they became great because of their past mistakes in some way , So i dont think so

April 1, 2008 at 12:07 am |
  14. Typicalatinanproud

Oh yes did you guys here know that bloggers where hired by the Clinton campaign before to manipulate the system?
    That Texas Obama delegates are being harassed at home by Clinton supporters?
    Why would any of goes deep with the Clintons it is nasty . Up to many lives being destroyed by Hillary to protect Bills' indescreations. Many..

April 1, 2008 at 12:07 am |
  15. Cary Schroeder

With 24 hour news constantly watched by voters allowing old news to get worn out and as new information on a topic ends. People always forget past information, like gossip, as gradually more non-important As seen by, Roger Clemens steroids, Federal Gov. illegal actions, or Brittany Spears.

Republicans definently must worry more with with blue coller Americans figuring out their need to vote Democrate for personnel financial reasons and make up about 70% of the country. With middle class switching for also personnel economic reasons is about 18% of the country. This would leave only the small class of wealthy who still need to support the Republican Party for personnel finances.

April 1, 2008 at 12:07 am |
  16. Judy Helmbreck

Yes, I believe background matters. I don't believe this has been a fair fight. Obama is only ahead because of the caucas instead of primaries where the retired, women with children and the working class could vote. The media has been unfair to Hillary! The super delegates are all running to Obama because they want it over! Michigan should have a redo but Florida should count as is!!! It should be up to the voters who wins not the delegates, and I will not vote for Obama if he wins and I don't think he can beat McCain and I really hate to see another Reublican President .

April 1, 2008 at 12:03 am |
  17. JT

Clinton or McCain period.

People screaming God Damn America is not going to work with me.

Hillary is better is November. Obama is a candidate supported by the media.

March 31, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  18. Jennifer Lawless

In response to one of the bloggers that wants women not to vote if Hillary doesn't get the nomination- I am insulted that someone would actually think that all women walk in lock step with each other. My father didn't risk his life for this country during WWII just to have it thrown away because Hillary doesn't get her way. Furthermore, I have built my career on what I have done ; I didn't ride on the coat tails of my husbandto get me my job , or advance my career. It is because of Bill she has been able to leap frog into this position. Other women can do what they want to ,as for me , I will vote, and it will be for one of the other candidates.

March 31, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  19. Olivier

Sure it matters, but I guess you can turn everything upside down, the good and the bad: long experience = good! Also long experience = old, and long experience = same politics. Less experience = ... you got the point, personally I don't think it is a real issue. Actually, as Pierre Corneille (17th century French tragedian) wrote in "Le Cid":

"I am young, it is true, but to highborn souls, worth (or valor maybe) does not await the number of the years"

Well, I think Barack Obama should use this quote for his campaign.

There are also many other Clinton's points that I really don't get:

– Experience: well... as the wife of! Please, give us a job description and (real) achievements, then we'll talk about it. I also heard Chelsea say that people should not vote for or against her mother because of her father... Note to self: work better on Chelsea's indoctrination..

– Won the big states: OK, some of them, but not ALL of them and by how much?? Despite her home states Arkansas and NY, and Mass and RI, it was never by a large margin! We talked about Texas and Ohio recently, she did 52%! And again, against a FELLOW Democrat! "Chill out" as one would say...

– Michigan and Florida: this one is really low: it didn't bother her back in January! We talked a lot about it, she shouldn't even have campaigned there at all, too bad rules exist even for her. Blaming it on Obama is when this becomes really low.

– Electability: so subjective! I don't want to go there.

What wbout Pennsylvania now? She leads the polls 52 to 38. Wait a minute: that doesn't make 100! We never talk about the 10% undecided!

How about a 52-48 on April 22nd?...

Go Obama Go!!!

March 31, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  20. stekathy

Hello! I just wanted to find out something about the two Democratic candidates. When the news was released about the two states that moved their perspective voting dates forward, didn't Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama decided to go with the Democratic Party's decision to throw out, negate, and reject the results of the two primaries as punishment? If that is indeed the case why isn’t CNN letting their viewers know about Sen. Clinton's flip – flop time and again every time Sen. Clinton raises the question to Sen. Obama and his advisors about the issue to sponsor a revote or just use the results as is, even though Sen. Obama wasn’t on the ballot of one state? I noticed how Sen. Obama has been getting constant press coverage about different controversial issues by Fox and CNN, more so than Sen. Clinton or Sen. McCain. What’s fair game for one should be fair game for ALL!! I am a Democrat and I’m disillusioned about the Democratic Party right now. You guys report that both candidates are slinging mud when it has been Sen. Obama and Sen. McCain that has shown more restrained from throwing mud. On the other hand Sen. Clinton made it clear that her campaign was throwing the kitchen sink at Sen. Obama, when in fact it was the entire HOUSE! I plan to vote Republican unless the feud and language between the two Democratic candidates change!

March 31, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  21. steven wentworth

john mccain has done more for america than both the other candidates combined also do we really want to elect a president who voted yes on third trimester abortions i have two children and i find that they are not punishment what ever happened to responsibility in america if you lay down then take responsibility and if you were gready or irresponsible you should have to be on your own isnt that what capitalism is all about let me also mention i make eight dollars an hour and had my first child at 17 and am not religous responsibility is what this nation was founded on self- rsponsibilty not government taking care of everybody responsibility

March 31, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  22. Belvia Levkus

MCCAIN IS CRAZY AND I WILL LEAVE HERE IF HE WINS

March 31, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  23. Geo

I will vote for Hillary and encourage all her supporters to stand solidly together and if she is not the candidate, we WILL vote for MCain. We need to let the DNC know we are serious and mean this. We are not whimsical supporters. Show the DNC your voice.

March 31, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  24. Margaret

Why has CNN not questioned Obama's relationsip with pastor Wright and his church. Does the media really belive it when they say he is not to blame for what his pastor says. Unfortunately he is to blame for attending this racist church with his wife and his children for 20 years.
    Do we really want this man to lead our country?

March 31, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  25. Belvia Levkus

Dear Anderson,
    Just because you are in a WAR WAR WAR does not make you qualified to be a President. This man knows nothing about economy and he is a serious war monger and dangerous. She is divisive and a liar. Senator Obama, tell Gergen and you and all you need to get on the ground and realize that I am on a team with 4 Republicans who became Democrats to vote for this Great man and if you are blue collar well then voting for Clinton wont get you a job she is bought and sold. I think David Gergen knew not what he was even saying. Senator Obama has created a whole new Democratic party. Nafta and Bill Clinton made the blue collar jobless. Get on the ground with us and I will show you our whole new party behind Senator Obama. The media is clueless. He could probably break away with all of us and run against Clinton and McCain and beat them both by a landslide. His resume makes me scared that he might even win. We have a million SHOCK AND AWES AND ALL SHE WILL TELL ARE LIES

March 31, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  26. Frank Garoutte

The press and media had better wake up or they are going to lose the big story and that is "Here comes Clinton" as she begins to leave Obama in the dust. The public is not stupid, and sees how the media has gone for Obama and this tells us the media will be the loser in the end. " A background of our next president is very important. And you the media needs to start informing the public of how weak Obama's background is. How weak he is as a candiate for the general election. You had better start getting behind the real winner in the end of the Democrate Nominee Hillary Clinton and start showing how she will become the next president, the first woman as president, and the best president this country will ever have. No, I am not a woman but rather a 57 year old gay man who knows his politics and knows when the media is doing a snow job. Get with it or be the losers in the end.

Frank Garoutte
    Portland, OR.

March 31, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  27. homeladyj

Yes their backgrounds matter ! So long it is being uncovered and reported on evenly by the media. So far it hasn't been. Z. Thompson You forgot to put in on Obama ( Judgement to sit in a very controversal pastors church for 20 years, his so called friendship with Ayers, his dealings with Rezko, his lie about the Kennedys helping to get his father into this country and so on and so on. We really don't know all about Senertor Obama yet cause the media is so afraid they might rile the Afro- American voters they won't dig very deep. Heck someone in the media should have been questioning the Senators in Michigan (Obama supporters) who killed the Michigan re-vote so that their prescious candidate wouldn't lose that state. On Fox News I believe they asked on of the Senators if they were glad it didn't pass and he said yes. CNN should have looked into that. It seems awfully shady to me.

March 31, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  28. KB

IT MATTERS NOW! Does anybody want a racist, inspirational speaker, with no experience to be our next President? I don't, but that isn't what the polls, or the media report to be the case. I just don't understand. Hopefully they are wrong like they have been throughout this campaign.

I'm bi racial, and I just don't get it! We have two true Americans. It's obvious the Super Delegates want a Rooky they can manipuate, not a WOMAN, who's resume includes been there and succesfully brought a 3 trillion dollar defecit, to over a 250 billion dollar surplus, and from no international respect to greatly respected internationally. Of coarse it was a Co Presidency ...who cares. Two people who have fixed exactly the same situation we're in now, successuflly before. Both have worked their entire lives for ALL people, not just one race.

A trist in the white house, doesn't quit compare to having known radical affiliations, or belonging to a church that profess's to be Christian, with a willing and knowing Congregation who are inspired by Black Liberation Theology, or a minister, with pride in a Black Islamic Extremist, Lou Farahkan.

Does anybody want Africa, in our laps, like Mexico is now?

Hill and Bill 08!

March 31, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  29. Slater

A candidates background means a lot to me. My feeling is that Obama has little experience and nothing to support his words, whereas Clinton and McCain both have strong backgrounds.

I like McCain, even though I want to vote Dem (if the fighting stops). He appeals to my patriotic side. I feel if he was good enough to protect me on the front lines, he is good enough to be the President.

I feel a lot the same about Clinton, her background as a senator and public service as a first lady make me feel as if she has earned it as well.

Obama is a baby. He has no track record. He's done nothing for the American people. He is all talk. The only thing he really has going for him is race.

March 31, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  30. Rebecca

I think we will find that the women who run will be more scrutinized in terms of their credentials than the men. (My gawd- look at how the Bosnia exaggeration was called a major lie!) Why? Because men can run on their charm and personality. Woman need to run on their credentials and diplomacy. If woman ran on their charm and personality it would be called flirting and conniving. For men it is called sexy. Can you imagine a woman running on that? She would not get very far and absolutely NOT be taken seriously. How unfair it is! Go Hillary!

March 31, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  31. ROSE

Now that Obama needs the working man's vote he is bowling poorly and petting cows. He has plenty of money to plaster those images all over the airways.

Are the good working people of PA and the other upcoming states gullible enough to buy that? He is an opportunist of the worst kind.

Don't forget the 8 American flags behind him when he gave the speech to deflect the issue of how he not only followed his hate spewing, GDing America pastor, but made him part of his family.

This guy is so insincere, I cannot even watch him anymore.

Don't be hoodwinked. Vote for hHLLARY. SHE HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR THE THE VETS, WORKING CLASS AND THOSE IN NEED. OPEN YOUR EYES AND YOUR BRAINS BEFORE YOU VOTE. PLEASE.

March 31, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  32. Kelly

I started out as a Hillary supporter!

After her dirty campaigning and the lying about being under fire in Bosnia.....NO way would I vote for her. Her dirty campaigning and lying is part of her past. This and her husbands impeachement is too much baggage!

March 31, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  33. Justin

Why are we not waiting for the convention? Why does everyone say that Hillary would be stealing the nominee if she wins? Isn't it a race? Just like baseball 8th inning 2-3 the vistors hit a home run 4-3, but wait Hillary hits a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth 4-7 Hillary wins!!! All because Obama had an error (rezko) and tried pitching a curve ball. We don't know what is going to happen. Why can superdelegates vote early but Michigan and Florida couldn't? Talk about a double standard!

March 31, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  34. VoteResponsibly08

Obama is like the kid that threw the rock and hid his hand. Sending his bullies to bully Hillary into quiting. This is only done becasue Obama and his bullies think they can get away with it. Obama acts as if everything is Ok, says nice things and he thinks we are all idiots.

Bullies are not acceptable in the White House!

March 31, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  35. Jonas Burdette

Of course backgrounds count - especially when it comes to Hillary Clinton. Scenario: She is elected President and it is the first time she sits down at the Presidential Desk in the Oval Office. Do you think her mind will be on U.S. Business Affairs or what Bill and Monica used to do there? Now, ask the question again if backgrounds count!

March 31, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  36. Deb - Canada

When you are hired for a job, your previous work history should count. I have been waiting for you to compare the accomplishments of Clinton vs Obama. I think it would be interesting to see which candidate has done more for African Americans. Instead, all I hear is the same old discussion about how Hillary can't win.

March 31, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  37. Belvia Levkus

Dear Anderson,
    I am a Team Leader for Senator Obama in Pittsburgh and I can tell you first hand that she is not getting all the women vote. This is just a new hoodwink by the Clintonians. Actually from what I see she may not even win Pennsylvannia. The only big fan she has here is our looser Govenor who thinks the Superdelegates will make the decision. Do the math people!!!!!!!!!!!!! 20,000 people in State College has never happened in American History. I am tired of you guys just wanting news let the race die soon. You guys are egging her on also and it has become nauseating. She has play by the rules. I am tired of her blaming Senator Obama for Michigan and Florida. SENATOR OBAMA WAS NOT ON THE BALLOT IN MICHIGAN> NONE OF THEM WERE ANDERSON, WOULD YOU GUYS JUST TELL THE TRUTH AND STOP LEAVING THINGS OUT WHEN YOU TALK. I AM SO SICK OF THE MEDIA I AM SCREAMING. SENATOR CLINTON IS BOUGHT AND SOLD BY CORPORATE AMERICA. SENATOR OBAMA WILL BE THE ONLY PRESIDENT THAT HAS NEVER BEEN BOUGHT AND SOLD AND ONLY BY US THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. THAT IS A REVELATION

March 31, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  38. Kelly

When will Mccains wife and her drug stealing become part of this election preocess, just like Bill's impeachment?

Honestly, we pick our spouses just like we choose our preachers!

March 31, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  39. Chris J From IL

I feel like I must post another comment. Please Anderson, please please please let the American people the truth about Rev. Wright. The truth is he has been a positive leader in the public world for over 30 years. Yes, he made some inflammatory and outrageous comments covering a range of issues, but people all over the country are assuming that EVERY sunday, EVERY sermon, EVERY time he talked, he spewed hatred toward whites, USKKKA and the rest of it. That's simply not true!

It would be like you, Anderson, after being a positive and hard working reporter all these years, have been summed up by a few bad statements you made a few times. Would it be right to say that EVERY time you reported on something, every time you opened your mouth, you spat venom and hatred toward everyone? Think about it.

March 31, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  40. sylvia

Please let us know what has happened to Obama's wife. She

has not been seen since the first week.

Has he banned her from the scene?

March 31, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  41. sylvia

What has happened to Obama's wife? As he banned her from the shows?

Please publicize this concern,.

Thanking you

March 31, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  42. Margo Murphy

Why does McCain's background matter and Obama's doesn't? Obama association with Reverend Wright has cost him my vote. I think Obama's judgement should be questioned. His whole campaign is based on his judgement to make the right decisions, peace, prosperity for all. 17+ years of a very close and personal relationship, spritual guidance and mentor with an anti-American and anti-white radical goes against his entire campaign. I will not vote for Obama if he is the nominee.

March 31, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  43. Agnes Morrison

I am a woman and I will vote for Hillary Clinton not because she is a woman but because she is the best candidate for the presidency. After eight years of President Bush and his politics, our country is in trouble both domestically and internationally. I believe Hillary Clinton will be a strong leader and will be able to help solve the health insurance mess, help fix the economy, and help restore our diplomatic image to the international community.

March 31, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  44. jan

Clinton/Obama together, or McCain!

March 31, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  45. Carmella

Finally a candidate that went for a beer too bad he picked the wrong bar.
    I can’t wait until some has the guts to face the real patriots of this country and go have a beer at a biker bar. That’s the place where you will find people who believe in this country and the freedoms that our founding fathers intended for all of us.
    They are the men and women that don’t look at what you do for a living or how much money you have their only quest is respect, peace and to pursue the freedom we were promised. I think it would do not only the candidate’s good but some of the news people might learn a little about the respect and honor thing.
    There is a lot you could learn for the brotherhood that is a Biker’s life and the code in which they live by. They are the 1st to show up if someone needs help and they remain until the job is done. I am honored that these are my friends and that from them I learned what it really means to be an American. It’s your turn!!!
    Carmella

March 31, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  46. Chris J From IL

Yes, in this country, when someone runs for president, nothing is off limits. Lobbyist ties, affairs, Pastors, Fairytale Bosnia sniper fire, NAFTA, all of it is under a microscope. It may not be fair, but people are still going to dig into your life until the shovel breaks.

March 31, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  47. Vonne

I do think a persons background matters to a point we have all had times in our life that we may not be proud of but the blessing is that we grow and learn and move on. It has botherd me for sometime that the Clinton machine has insulted our intellegence with under tones of EVERYTHING..........I will vote for whom ever is the nominee is, I just don't want that person to be so wounded that the voters are turned off in November.

March 31, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  48. Indiana

HILLARY "08"
    I think if mich and fl votes counted for anything, hillary would be in the lead by far. And lets watch and see how many of the upcoming 10 states hillary runs off with! How many people voted for obama, THAT NOW wishes they could take back their vote. We know all about hillary and mccains history. I think obama is unelectable, 20 years of silence in a church pew, I can't be force feed that. I think the democrat party should be making obama drop out of this race. And make way for hillary. Hillary can stand up to MCcain, obama will run with his tail between his legs. I say to all you obama voters ( WAKE UP-THIS IS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA WERE TALKING ABOUT). NOT KENYA......

March 31, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  49. Dusty

Obviously their background doesn't matter much, I mean look at Obama, he doesnt have a background!

March 31, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  50. Lisa Golden, Corpus Christi, TX

Has anyone else thought perhaps the reason all these old koots, in the government, that are throwing super delegates Obama's way, want him because they believe he will be much easier manipulated than a veteran senator, and politician that's onto their game? Not to mention they couldn't stand having two women in charge of things...(Pelosi) and Hillary...I'd love it and thing the Oval Office, could really benifit from no testerone, Their thoughts not being interupted with thoughts of Monica, every 20 seconds. How much better CHANGE could we get than that?!

March 31, 2008 at 11:05 pm |