March 31st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/31/08

Anderson is back in New York tonight.

We're going to launch a new way to take part in the 360° live blog. Tonight we'll debut a live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.

LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA (sorry – no audio – talk to the lawyers)

As for the live blog, we'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kate, Boston, MA

It's amazing that that program to hide a doctor's drug addiction actually exists; how would they ever think that it would help patients?

March 31, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Renee

Randi: How many GREAT doctors are there? 8,000 in recovery and treatment out of how many?

March 31, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Kim

Interesting topic about the doctors... my first feeling is that they have aright to their privacy just like everybody else unless they are not up to doing their jobs right. Maybe it's more about better screening the quality of doctors' performances in general than about substance addiction? There are more reasons for medical malpractice than addiction...

March 31, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Glen Up North

Wow, one person talking about the doctors issue... Why leave it at alcoholism? Though I agree that alcoholism has much to do with this, I've heard of doctors (small community) who have performed under the influence, regardless of if they're actually alcoholic or not. The question in my mind is: how regular is this practice?

March 31, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Terri - Canada

Good for her for suing the doctor, although I'm not sure you can put a price on your health and getting the help you need. She needed a doctor to be there, not a paycheck due to his negligence.

March 31, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  6. RKFla

People seem to forget that there is a difference between the politicians of Florida and Michigan and the voters. The voters didn't break any rules and didn't have any say in the primary dates, but the DNC in its ultimate wisdom decided to punish the voters because it was mad at the politicians. They then say that Florida and Michigan decided not to do a re-do because again the DNC and politicians couldn't agree. This decision will be very costly if they don't correct it and find a way to accurately represent the voters of those 2 states.

March 31, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  7. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

oh my god that poor woman.....how can these doctors still be able to practice???

March 31, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  8. Michael in Lafayette, IN

I sure hope this publicity puts the Doctor out of business.

March 31, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  9. Shannon Starkweather Burke

Rick, when it comes to Repubs choosing between Obama and McCain, who do you think they will vote for?
    This whole "uniting" quality about Obama...I really don't buy it.
    Of course people are rallying around him. They're also rallying for McCain and Clinton. It's called campaigning. When it comes down to it, people will vote on ideological platforms. Conservatives will not vote for Obama just because he's inspirational, neither will they for Clinton, so I think this uniting quality is overrated and will not make any difference in the GE or afterwards. GW has divided the country so much it will take years to recover. Neither Obama nor any other candidate will magically change that in a year or two.

March 31, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Don

Michelle Obama has been out of the spotlight to avoid the Rev. Wright matter and because she still soaking in the fact that she has finally realized for the first time in her adult life how proud she is to be an American

March 31, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  11. Ceit

First I am not going to vote for Mccain. Second I don't like Obama, and don't think he will be a good president so I am not voting for him. If Obama gets the nomination (because he is hand picked by the White Male DNC), I simply will not vote.

March 31, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  12. Chuck in Alabama

The fact that McCain and Clinton DO have experience which CAN be judged is important. Obama can't be "judged" because he has done nothing.

March 31, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  13. Jeff (Australia)

Hey Anderson, Erica & fellow bloggers,
    Just one problem with the live cam, is that for some reason CNN has blocked Live Video in Australia & we get CNNI on all cable (we call it Pay-TV here) networks, so is there a way that this can be unblocked so myself & many other Australian's can watch the live cam?

March 31, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  14. Glen Up North

Back in the beginning of the whole run, I was rooting for either Obama or Hillary to be in the lead... then all those, erm, conspiracy theories left me scared of Hillary. The sad thing is, who knows if they're even 100% true. Seems really odd to be scared of a candidate just because of information that's nowhere to be seen/heard through traditional news sources... but then again, I won't even be voting in this one (being Canadian) so where do I go? I've avoided weighing in on this because of my being, well, such a featherweight on the issue. But since everyone's digging into it, heck... I guess I should be happy should EITHER make it to the White House.

March 31, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  15. gc, brooklyn, ny

Welcome back, Aderson.

Love to see Clinton/Obama together. Obama can get more experence for the future. Otherwise, another dark age for the party.

March 31, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Jolene

That should be an interesting segment about McCain's cancer tomorrow. I had an uncle die of skin cancer. I had no idea how serious skin cancer as a disease can progress throughout your body.

March 31, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  17. erica hill

Ronni, you bring up an excellent point – I've also wondered if those who seem so angry about the chance their candidate will not get the nod are using their vote to voice what they think about the issues and who will best lead the country over the next four years... or if this is little more than a trip back in time to the playground.

March 31, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Patricia

Barack Obama made his "famous" I don't support the idea of a war in Iraq speech while he was running for the Senate in a state that was anti-war. Coincidence? I don't think so. It was politically expedient for him to take that position at that time. That's not inspiring. That's not change. That's political business as usual.

March 31, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Rick

Ny, Ca, NJ and most of the so called big states are Dem states and will go to whoever the Dem candidate is. We get the nominee by delegates not electoral college, Please quite trying to changes the way things are done or skew the number to favor HRC, she represents the past it is time to look to the future.

March 31, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  20. hal becker

How come most of the newscasters and pundits seldom question Obama about his lies?

March 31, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  21. propstanne

I agree that we should respect McCain tremendously for his service as well as Mrs. Clinton who has served us in numerous ways as well for years. different types of service for sure, but public service deserves our respect in all manners. I still can't figure out why these people want these jobs!

March 31, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Brent

I love listening to Mccain talk about experience. Experience is useless if your always wrong. Obama's point is well taken, Cheney and Rumsfeld had more experience than anyone when it came to foreign affairs and have proven to be two of the biggest disasters in modern history. America doesn't have the influence it thinks it does in Iraq, if it did then why was it Iran that negotiated the cease-fire in Basra and not the US? Its because ALL the shia groups are closer to Iran than they are to the US. Mccain allows ideology to get in the way of whats really going on, he doesn't have a clue.

March 31, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  23. Dave Syracuse, NY

do you know if your doctor is a diabetic? has had cancer? treated for depression? treated for addiction? Of course you dont. This is going to be a great topic of debate

March 31, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Angela, Ottawa, Canada

Why do people think McCain must be sick if he's old?

If he's well enough to run a presidential campaign, he's probably well enough to be president.

March 31, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Shannon Starkweather Burke

Tony, there are Obama supporters who say they will do the same, or vote for Nader, which, let's face it, is also a vote for McCain.

March 31, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  26. rosie

Dave, Syracuse: You make some excellent points and add a perspective that many of us could not otherwise understand. However, I think the danger is in a physician that continues to practice while addicted. Do you have any suggestions for those of us who know of such physicians? Good Luck with your recovery, Dave.

March 31, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  27. lisaR

I totally agree w you Barry and the pundits have it all wrong as usual,
    in my area ev1 I speak to says much the same.

Howard Dean is worst DNC chairman ever, I blame his shortsightedness in handling the Florida and Michigan primaries.

I have never voted Republican in my life but I will vote for McCain as a protest vote against the DNC.

And I will not change my mind in November. After all the mess was created by the repubs, let them clean it up,

I

March 31, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  28. Tammy

What you all have to remember is that this speech was given today in MS, a heavy military state, Columbus AFB isn't that far, MS State is huge Sonny Montgomery and conservative, and McCain was pushing his audience. Which he should...

March 31, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  29. Howard

Ha. Jurassic Park 4 – subtitled Romancing The Stones 2 (get it, Jurassic/Stones)!

March 31, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  30. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

John McCain does have quite a past and I do think no matter what candidate you vote for, McCain deserves our respect for his service.

March 31, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  31. Tony (Charlotte N C)

These people talking about counting the vote in Florida and Michigan need to either impeach the people that broke the rules or sensor them. Oh wait, they are people that endorsed Hillary that has caused a lot of this mess and now they are trying to spin it to be Obama. The DNC needs to take away there right to be a delegate or super delegate status for them disenfranchising the people of those two states. They should be outraged at there leaders, but then again there are doing nothing more than the person they endorsed except misleading(misspoke) the people of those states.

March 31, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Tony

I couldn't agree with you more, Theresa. The Hillary supporters who say they would not vote for and support Obama should he become the democratic nominee is like kids playing a game of kickball and when one of the two teams is losing, they pick up the ball and quit. It doesn't make any sense to me.

March 31, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  33. Cynthia

Chuck in Alabama. I am from Alabama and am not on federal assistance and have contributed to the Obama campaign. In any case, the ones that have contributed obviously believe in him and what he stands for.

March 31, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  34. erica hill

Thanks, Daniel – that's very kind of you

March 31, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  35. wendy

Where is Michelle Obama? Is she still pissed off about Bama's wrap on Wright's knuckles?

March 31, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Shannon Starkweather Burke

No one ever mentions that Hillary has one the big states to Obama's little red ones that will go to McCain in November anyway. Hillary has the big electoral states on her side.
    People also overlook that she's really not that far behind in the delegates, and if MI and FL were to have revotes, as would be the democratic thing to do, she would be winning.

March 31, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  37. Ronni Williams

I don't understand these people who say they will vote for McCain if their candidate doesn't get the nomination. Don't they care at all about the policy positions of Mccain vs. their candidate? If folks have bonded so much with their candidate vs. caring about where this country will be in four years if McCain becomes president, then they are just following this primary for the "soap opera" effect.

March 31, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  38. Yla

AC360 Love the Webcam!!

March 31, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Libby

I absolutly love your show

March 31, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Stan

I'm sick of the nominations being sewn up by the time Kentucky holds its primary. I think Hillary should stay in the race until the convention. I was considering voting for Obama until the Jeremiah Wright story broke. Keep fighting Hillary. Its about time a woman got the chance to run the country. She can't screw it up anymore than men have over the years.

March 31, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  41. anderson cooper

Dave, you raise really good points, and i appreciate you posting.

March 31, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Jim (Ohio)

Patricia: A Democratic State Senator in Florida introduced the bill and pushed it through. The Republican governor in Florida signed it. It was pretty bi-partisan.

A loyal Democrat in Ohio

March 31, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  43. Kelly

I agree with you Yvonne, they should be on the same side.

March 31, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  44. Julia Glennville, Ga.

To those that talk about Hillary's baggage? At least she has a verifiable, written history in public service!! So yeah she has baggage, A lot of it and most of it is good!! What is Obama's written, verifiable history??? She is human and any one of us that wants to throw stones better take a good look inside of ourselves first.

March 31, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Daniel, Germany

To Erica:

Erica you are the highlight of my day, even if i have to wait until 4am here in germany to see you.

To Anderson / The Panel:

The so called "dream ticket" with clinton and obama on one ticket is being discussed over the last few days again, and i was wandering if it realy is an option or if they just keep this option on the table to maintain peace in the party?

March 31, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Ceit

Kim that's the point no one can win - Unless they pressure Hillary to quit, and the News Media and the DNC is pressuring Hillary to do it so their hand picked candidate would get the nomination.

March 31, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Nicolette

I'd hate to have Hillary bow out now when she's used such negative tactics. I'd like to see her get back to showing how informed she is on the issues, how intelligent she is, because she is and has been the first viable female candidate. If she's going to be the runner up at least she can go out in style, versus having people say, that's why women don't run for office.

March 31, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Yvonne - Charleston, SC

I think the race should continue on but they shouldn't hit each other below the belt. They are suppose to be on the same side.

March 31, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  49. Laura Zappia, NC

Ron – you can bet her absence is no accident. Despite the "new" politics, Michelle Obama garners negative publicity, so is being kept behind the scenes.

March 31, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Patricia

The people of Florida did not break the rules. The Republican majority representatives in Tallahasse voted to change the date.

March 31, 2008 at 10:29 pm |