March 31st, 2008

Anderson's view: Back in New York

I know, I know. I haven’t blogged in a while, and yes, my new year’s resolution was to blog everyday. Or was it just to blog more frequently? I forget. Criticize all you want, but how many of you have kept your new year’s resolutions?

I got back from Los Angeles yesterday, and it was great to get home. A lot of people have been sending me notes, wishing me well after my little surgery. As I said, it really was not a big deal, but I appreciate all the kind notes and cards you’ve been sending. Thank you.  My stitches are out and I rarely think about it anymore, except to remember to try and stay out of the sun.

Tonight, we take you out on the campaign trail, to show you the latest on the battle between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. We’ll also investigate doctors in rehab. Are they being carefully supervised enough? Randi Kaye has an investigation that may just surprise you. READ HER BLOG

I hope to see you tonight.  Live from New York.

– Anderson Cooper

Filed under: Anderson Cooper
  1. madhavi

Take care Anderson, my prayers are always with u for ur good health. Key is to give ur body and ur cells that work so hard for you enough rest to recover and eat good and avoid sunlight. take care of urself. Nothing is more important than health.
    Keep up good programming.
    would love to see in ur 360 program a small segment about future..future education, tomorrows jobs and job market, how economy, environment, health etc., and how the world will be in future so that you can really help students and people prepare better for future. Alvin Toffler's way...
    wish u a very healthy year ahead.

April 2, 2008 at 12:35 am |
  2. Shawn

Anderson,
    I want to welcome you home, and trust that you enjoyed your time in LA. In the words of Paris Hilton its "Hot" there in comparison to the crazy weather here in NY. I look forward to reading your blog. speaking as a person whom always had the dial tuned to mtv. I have come to love watching AC360 and while shopping for some new tracks on itunes came across your book and bought it...Amazing! I have such respect for you and all you've done and overcome. I know you probably have heard this many times but I have truly become a fan.
    I was saddened to hear about your recent skin surgery. Knowing your a trooper, I know that this two shall pass. You are an inspiration and an amazing human being. This is my first of many posts so excuse the lengthy dialogue. You are an icon, and by using your celebrity position as a platform for raising awareness of the dangers associated with too much sun exposure not to mention the countless other causes and/or topics you stand behind we (the people) appreciate and thank you.
    You are the catalyst of change,

– Shawn

April 1, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  3. Anna Karina

I agree! even though Anderson doesn't seen to likeit, I love the live feed webcam...pretty funny stuff...and at the end of the day, its all about us! and we love it! lol! keep on rockin'

April 1, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  4. JoJo

Wishes of good health Anderson. Good to know the surguery was no big deal, as you said.

The Wal-Mart piece was great reporting.

April 1, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  5. hm....

this whole live feed webcame thing cracks me up. and I don't know if i can say exactly why, but it's great and pretty hilarious.. even though i doubt that was the point :).....as if you didn't already want to avoid people starring at you all the time..
    thank goodness walmart finally got their morals in check! something must be right in the world, or maybe it's not? they did it because they didn't want to loose money from customers, not because it was the right thing to do. oh well, the point is they did it and it was about time!

April 1, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  6. stanzak

Coop, O.K. I'm eating my words. Thanks for dropping the Wright fear tactics. You've got your integrity back (you probably never lost it, I just got peeved hearing the Wright tape over and over again). I would like to see, however, more coverage and analysis of the actual plans both Obama and Clinton have for health care, Iraq, Economics, and Why Is Everything Someone Buys In America, Made In China!!!
    Thanks,
    By the way, I only just started using "Blogs." Don't understand how they work, don't care. Just hope you get the message.
    Joseph S. Stanzak
    Attorney At Law
    stanzak@cableone.net

April 1, 2008 at 8:10 pm |
  7. debbie

its good to have you home, I love being home.....gee you are well and kicking... get well and do not over do it..Can't get enough of you by watching you. keep the good work going. you are always in my prayer.

April 1, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  8. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,

Hi. I didn't see your blog until today, though I did watch your program last night–it was great. The live web camera is an excellent idea. I'm glad you are back home in New York, and that you are doing well.
    Congratulations on Your Genesis award.

April 1, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  9. Terri from Atlanta

I'm really confused. Just recently some doctors are saying Americans aren't getting enough vitamin D and we need a little sun exposure.
    Can Dr. Sanjay straighten that out for us?

Thanks.

April 1, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  10. SUNNY

Don't worry about posting everyday. I never even made a resolution because I know me.

I'm glad you mentioned what happened to you b/c I didn't know until you mentioned it. Glad you're okay.

I'm just about anti doctors. No, they do save lives. You never know; it's a guessing game.

Worried about the rising river in the delta. Spring is just started. Keeping fingers crossed in Mississippi. Sunny

April 1, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  11. Rose/Toronto/Canada

Hi Anderson, It's great to see your blog!

I was just on a very boring cruise recently, and had finished reading two books and despritely needed another book to keep me occupied.

Thankfully there was a library on board that had your book to lend out (sorry didnt buy it). I have wanted to read it for long time and NOW had the opportunity. It was an amazing read to say the least.

I wanted to thank you for teaching me how to handle grief and pain so gracefully.

You are a great asset to CNN and I really enjoy your show!!

April 1, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  12. Sarah, Canterbury UK

Hi Anderson

I know this is a day late but just wandering if you will be covering the elections in Zimbabwe, it looks as though there are early signs of a peaceful settlement between Robert Mugabee and the opposition parties? – might make a change from the Obama / Clinton saga?

Kind regards

Sarah

April 1, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  13. Mashalla

Good evening Anderson!

I am happy to hear that you have recovered from your surgery. Good news!
    And it's cool to feel you are in NYC again 🙂

The doctor's story was very interesting yesterday! And I always enjoy your show! And the corner with Erica is so funny, you two are really great!

Can you imagine that you make me wake up at 4 am to watch your show? Keep your smile on your face, it really makes my day!

Hope to get an answer one day! How can I get your original autograph!
    By the way I ordered your book and I am very curious about it! I will let you know how I liked it

Anyway, talked to much now, I should get back to my researches for my thesis now.

Cya tonight and take good care of yourself!

April 1, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  14. Phil, illinois

One more thing: Please don't go all hollywood on us. You're too real for the gimmicks of hollywood – you're just like one of us. Sleep on it. HaHa : )

Congrats on the award as well. Well deserved. Run for president next time around.

April 1, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  15. Phil, illinois

We all love you Anderson. We just want the best for you. You mean a lot to me and a lot of other people as well. No harsh feelings on the no blogging everyday. I could careless, but its good to hear from you once an awhile though.

April 1, 2008 at 12:48 pm |
  16. Samantha

Hey Anderson!

Glad to know that your surgery was not a BIG DEAL after all!

Can't wait to catch your show tonight!

The best show on television, always great!

Keep up the good work Anderson!

P.S. Erica Hill is doing a great job too!

April 1, 2008 at 12:48 pm |
  17. Julie San Diego, CA

The man writes:
    "Criticize all you want, but how many of you have kept your new year’s resolutions?"
    Wow. Are you Catholic? I thought self-imposed guilt like that was reserved for Catholics and former Catholics... 🙂
    What's this? Smiley and happy out in LA. Cranky and guilty in NYC?
    Our west coast sun may be giving you skin cancer, but you certainly seem a lot happier in it...
    Got some SpongeBob Band-aids (all the cool little boys are wearing them) and a bottle of sunscreen for you next time you're in San Diego. My husband is pigmentally-challenged too. Hats and regular trips to the dermatologist. Half the county has to gouge off those errant freckles once in awhile. You adapt. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger...

April 1, 2008 at 11:33 am |
  18. Michelle ,Fonthill ,Ontrario,Canada

Hi Anderson

I'm glad you're feeling better and back home. Please continue to blog I love all your posts.

Michelle a loyal beat 360 player from Canada!

April 1, 2008 at 11:18 am |
  19. Lisa L

Dear Anderson.

I wrote my new year's resolutions during CNN Anderson Cooper 360. I believe it has given me a great start to the year.

I have always found your show to be extremely fair in reporting the news.

You put a smile on my face and give knowledge to a hungry brain.

Take care and keep up the good work.

Thank you.

Lisa L.

Sydney, Australia.

April 1, 2008 at 10:33 am |
  20. globaljunk

Anderson - here is another resolution for you. Don't forget to put on sunblock even if you are trying to stay out of the sun. The UV rays can come through even on what appear to be cloudy days.

April 1, 2008 at 9:19 am |
  21. Sherri Innis Dubai, UAE

Hi Anderson,

Wow, it seems like just yesterday I was watching you report with Lisa Ling and others on Channel 1. I've been watching you since 6th grade!! and now, 14 years later, I'm checking your blogs from half way around the world.
    I've just read that you had surgery. Not sure what for, but I hope it's healing all the same.

Thanks for taking the time to do all this blog work, I know it can be terribly exhausting.

-Sherri Innis
    fan from Dubai, UAE

April 1, 2008 at 4:34 am |
  22. Carol in Austin

OK – it's possibly a little nit-picky but can you please, please use every day when you mean every day and everyday when you mean everyday. I know you know the difference. It is becoming so common, we're in danger of further corrupting our language. It just really bothers me when I see educated people falling into these poor grammatical habits. It's evident from your speech that you don't want to corrupt. THANK YOU!

April 1, 2008 at 2:23 am |
  23. Jacqui Chan

hey Anderson, Sorry to sound stalkerish... When you did Planet in Peril, you discussed the results of your body burden test. I remember you said that the make-up cnn uses contains carcinogens. You have to convince them to use another brand. Surely this is not the only stuff they can use OR (here is the stalker sounding part)

YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO ACCEPT YOUR PALENESS ANDERSON!!!
    *beware I used the evil "!!!"

April 1, 2008 at 1:47 am |
  24. Timm Hudspeth

Why is no one mentioning the fact that radio republicans told their listeners to register and vote in the upcoming elections and vote for Clinton in order to prolong the Democratic race. Isn't the Republican party the one that boasts the backing of the Christian moral majority. Is this really what Jesus would do?

April 1, 2008 at 1:36 am |
  25. Victoria

Hi Anderson ~
    Manhattan and I are so glad to have you back! When you are away, though the city still never sleeps, there are less reasons to stay awake!
    Please take care of yourself, sunscreen is your friend, as are tinted windows, and staying around here more to enjoy the noise, and less of the California sun.

We Love And Care About You,
    Victoria And Nardi

April 1, 2008 at 1:33 am |
  26. Jon

The church where Sen. Barack Obama has worshipped for two decades publicly declares that its ministry is founded on a 1960s book that espouses "the destruction of the white enemy."

Trinity United Church of Christ's Web site says its teachings are based on the black liberation theology of James H. Cone and his 1969 book "Black Theology and Black Power."

"What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love," Mr. Cone wrote in the book.

April 1, 2008 at 1:20 am |
  27. Judy

Anderson,
    Please try to keep your posting blog resolution. It seems that there are those people who say seemingly silly things and get posted on your live blog and people with real issues are not heard. I think you should have a talk with your moderator. Even with the disclaimer it simply does not make sense to post live blogs that have little relevance to the topic.
    On screen your "sore" just looks like a small scratch but take needed precautions.

April 1, 2008 at 12:29 am |
  28. William

I am very glad you are back.
    William, Midland, TX

March 31, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar

P.S. Congrats for your 2 awards! That is so cool film I watched Planet in Peril!
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, WA

March 31, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  30. GG

Love the show, AC. Keep it up!

March 31, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  31. EJ - Ohio

I had to google this Genesis award – I hadn't heard about it. I'm glad I did – congratulations Anderson. You looked great in that picture of you with the award plaque. Very nice.

Well I'm off to watch "Without a Trace" on TNT. My other late night obsession. I want to meet that Enrique Murciano guy. Oooh la la

March 31, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar

Hi Anderson,
    Welcome home to New York! I can't wait to see you tonight. I am so enjoy to watch you everynight and blog. I saw you last Thursday on Jay Leno....... you are so funny guest with Jay and Conan. You talked to him about Beckham and play soccer with him, it was so awesome! See you later! And Thanks for your picture to send me.
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

March 31, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  33. EJ - Ohio

I admit I thought the root beer thing was kind of funny... but I can see your perspective. I can be open minded.

March 31, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  34. Deb - Canada

A vast majority of women should vote for Hillary, particularly Repub lican women. If she can get these she will win the nomination. No one seems to be commenting on the fact that Obama and his "people" have put pressure on black people to vote for him. Check out the caucuses and how intimidating they have been. Hard to stand in a line for Clinton in that environment. How about a story about this?

March 31, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  35. Mark

Hi Anderson – I'm new to this blog thing but it seems fun...maybe one for my store's website here in North Hollywood, CA. Glad you're back in NYC and I can hardly see your scar now..but I thought it gave you even more character....nice job on rehab, however, having been sober for over 18 years, it's vital that this guy hits bottom ASAP and hopefully, finds a spiritual solution to his malady through 12-steps and takes a look at what's going within him rather than around him. Peace be with you on set tonight.

March 31, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  36. Abby, Los Angeles

wait...let me clarify... I was still on the east coast while you were out here. the west coast misses you already! 😦

March 31, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  37. Abby, Los Angeles

Hey, Anderson!

Whenever you can get back out in the sun, you should come visit us out here in sunny California! I was in New York 2 weeks ago for a national journalism conference, and you were the only one of my "broadcast journalist heroes" that I did NOT get to meet 😦 Please do a special program out here on the west coast for us...you can follow through on your New Year's Resolution and blog from the beach! 🙂

Abby 😉

March 31, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  38. Cristin Atoms

I think that the reason that candidates are campaigning on wheel of fortune and the price is right is because the people who generally watch these shows are the voters they need. If you look at the audience of the price is right, it is seniors and college age (apparently we are the same demographic), which is required in getting the white house. By the way, if you are wondering, I am a 23 year old grad student, so I feel like a senior, but chronologically I am college age.

March 31, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  39. Marie Rose; Maryland

Andy,

Glad you're back. I just saw the webcam and the show.... I can't believe you guys had me sitting here for an hour straight... I'm going to bed!

BTW, I think the live blog counts, technically 😉

March 31, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  40. Saera El Paso, TX

you said you'd blog more often...
    i say the live blog counts.

March 31, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  41. Slater

Anderson

According to your book, "Dispatches From the Edge" you don't do New Year's resolutions, and you state that New Year's is "proof that human beings are essentially optimistic creatures (p.14)." Anyway, I could quote more, but you know all the lines well. Is the undertaking of a resolution an indication that you, too, are becoming an optimistic creature?

Thanks for your book, by the way, I enjoyed it immensely..the raw honesty and fearlessness along with acoustic feeling that it displayed about your encounters in parts of the world I will never see.

March 31, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  42. Sabrina In Los Angeles

Too bad I didn't get to wish you well while you were here.

Mineral veil will protect you and is lightweight and not noticeable.

Get some sun but not a lot.

Stay safe and healthy.

March 31, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  43. nancy

Hi Anderson,
    Welcome back to the desk. This is a good show tonight. Drunk doctors, hmm. In most lines of work, being drunk on the job is grounds for dismissal. Why does this not apply to doctors, especially surgeons? I would think it should be more strictly adhered to for those who hold others lives in their hands.

March 31, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  44. Oregonblonde

AC!
    Glad to see you back! Enjoyed you on Leno too.

Is it just me, or is it almost all females on your blog?? 🙂

March 31, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Zing Zing, ON., Canada

Well, a mention in television shows may help the presidential candidates. I know this seems like a facetious example, but look how appearing in a sitcom helped Britney Spears' image.

Is spending this much on air-time is uprecedented?

nb: The average person is exposed to approximately 19 hours of unintentional sun exposure a week. ie. through windows. And always wear lip balm with a strong SPF as lips are made up of extremely thin skin.

March 31, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  46. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Anderson,
    New Year's Resolutions are for the birds..Next year, just zip the lip and take the 5th..When asked if you have a resolution, just say no....no comment..Take Care

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

March 31, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  47. Christina, Windber, PA

Hey Anderson

Cards? You got cards? I didn't know we were allowed to send you cards! *sigh* I'm always the last to know. Anyway, glad you got back safely from LA and I hope everything is healing okay. I hope CNN is springing for the good make-up and a few jars of daily defense so you can stay healthy.

Thanks for blogging. It's hard to enjoy the program and live blog at the same time; so I like this old fashioned blogging.

See you tonight.

March 31, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  48. Diane N.

All I can say for now is, glad you're back home here on the east coast.

March 31, 2008 at 9:52 pm |
  49. Carol B., Virginia

Hey Anderson, Glad your back home & doing better! You always seem to be juggling a lot of priorities, so we understand if you can't blog often. Randi is such a great reporter and always brings compassion and humanity to her stories. It's not fair that anyone has to suffer disfigurement and terminal illness due to a doctor's irresponsibility. PATIENTS, not doctors need to be protected. After all, we are all vulnerable and mortal. Take care.

March 31, 2008 at 9:44 pm |
  50. Steve N

Mr. Cooper,
    My friend was lucky enough to see you down at UNCC and I was wondering, as I see others are as well, if you'll be making any appearances in PA as the two candidates fight it out in my home state? Keep us up to date please. 🙂
    And welcome home. I don't even live in NYC and I miss it when I'm not there.
    Cheers