March 31st, 2008

Anderson's view: Back in New York

I know, I know. I haven’t blogged in a while, and yes, my new year’s resolution was to blog everyday. Or was it just to blog more frequently? I forget. Criticize all you want, but how many of you have kept your new year’s resolutions?

I got back from Los Angeles yesterday, and it was great to get home. A lot of people have been sending me notes, wishing me well after my little surgery. As I said, it really was not a big deal, but I appreciate all the kind notes and cards you’ve been sending. Thank you.  My stitches are out and I rarely think about it anymore, except to remember to try and stay out of the sun.

Tonight, we take you out on the campaign trail, to show you the latest on the battle between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. We’ll also investigate doctors in rehab. Are they being carefully supervised enough? Randi Kaye has an investigation that may just surprise you. READ HER BLOG

I hope to see you tonight.  Live from New York.

– Anderson Cooper

Filed under: Anderson Cooper
  1. Glen Up North

Errata: I neglected to mention I'm hoping to see some stat research. Otherwise, my above post makes little, if any, relative sense.

March 31, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  2. EJ - Ohio

"I know, I know. I haven’t blogged in a while, and yes, my new year’s resolution was to blog everyday. Or was it just to blog more frequently? I forget. Criticize all you want, but how many of you have kept your new year’s resolutions?"

Anderson, if you blogged everyday you would become a blog addict and wouldn't be able to do your job to the best of your abilities.

Then you would become the subject of one of Randi Kaye's stories. "Journalists whose blogging addictions have rendered them totally useless"

Remember, moderation is key. 'Moderation in sun exposure, moderation in blogging.' I think that's a famous quote.

Live from New York – It's Monday night!

March 31, 2008 at 9:21 pm |
  3. Brenda

Hi Anderson

Glad you are back in NYC. Hope you had a great time in LA.
    Remember to keep out of the sun as much as possible. Being Irish I can not take the sun. The only person without a tan in the summer but no wrinkles. Looking forward to tonights show and Randi's story. Please thank her for the great job las week with WalMart. Please keep that story alive. Glad to see you will be on Regis & Kelly Friday.

March 31, 2008 at 9:21 pm |
  4. Maryann Picinic

Hi Anderson:

I think you are one of the few journalist out there who we can trust and we need that more then ever, so thank God your surgery is minor and I hope you stay well and healthy.

I know this might be weird to include, but I hope you get a chance to have Gen. Wesley Clark on your show. Perhaps you know this, he is not afraid to tell the truth and has been working very hard to educate us with healthy information and sharing his good wisdom, so I think he will be a great asset to your show.

I am looking forward to seeing your shows. Best of luck and wishing you good health.

Maryann
    Astoria, NY

March 31, 2008 at 9:20 pm |
  5. Maggie C

AC!

Don't try to weasel out Cooper! You said you were going to blog at least once a day ~ if possible! It isn't always possible so I won't hold you to it.

I hope you aren't counting those teensy little lines you add to the "live" blog as actually blogging! One short hour just isn't enough. Do you know how difficult that is? To get in, get posted and try to find a reply or comment? Seriously, do you? Give us a couple of lines all our own, okay? At least it won't be closed.

I really do like to participate, but honestly, I don't want to miss the main hour of 360. It seems to take the "being there" out of it and the need to watch if I do miss it.

Get a new cap or two Anderson, keep a sack over your head if necessary, but watch that sun, it can be a killer!

Lord, I hope they don't take me to be one of your stalker's! That would be quite a feat under the circumstances!

Another time,
    Maggie

March 31, 2008 at 9:18 pm |
  6. Genevieve M, TX

Congratulations on the Genesis Award and it is nice to see a blog post from you again.

Randi's blog post about that physician reminds me of the following lyrics from an Amy Winehouse song called "Rehab"....."They tried to make me go to rehab but I said, no, no, no..."

March 31, 2008 at 9:16 pm |
  7. Glen Up North

Glad to see you'll be lend an official eye to "Doctors under the influence", so to speak. Talk of this has always retained my curiosity, but who's to say what's factual and what's not in table talk? The most detailed story I've ever heard (and who's to say it's true?) involved a doctor using a cocktail of "legalized speed" (I'm presuming either Oxycontin or a cousin thereof), B12 injections and an oxygen tank to quickly get him out from being "under the influence". Now, is there a grain of truth in that or just a tale spun by a highly imaginative (and somewhat intellectual) conversationalist? Here, I'm expecting more factual details... and I hope to be able to catch the report.

March 31, 2008 at 9:12 pm |
  8. Joseph Kowalski, North Huntingdon, PA

I don't know many people who do keep to their New Year's resolution. I can't even remember ever making a serious resolution for the new year. We do our best with the time we have.

As always, I look forward to the show.

March 31, 2008 at 9:07 pm |
  9. Annie Kate

Hi Anderson

Glad you are back. Congrats on your Genesis award for Planet in Peril and for your part in the 60 minutes award on the gorilla story. Its nice to get a pat on the back and a job well done occasionally isn't it?

Glad you blogged and I think your resolution was just to blog more, not every day. Looking forward to the show tonight; Randi's story should be quite good.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

March 31, 2008 at 9:07 pm |
  10. Minou, New York City

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on the Genesis Award!!!
    I'm so glad you went to pick it up!

I noticed people on the blog commenting on it. I've not heard of this award, so I did some research.
    What a wonderful award to add to one's mantle! I congratulate you and all the people at CNN who put their time and effort into Planet in Peril !

March 31, 2008 at 9:04 pm |
  11. Joy

I would like to point out I have NOT bitten even one fingernail since January, thankyou very much. I was in the audience for that tonight show taping and Anderson was smart, funny and ever so good looking!

March 31, 2008 at 9:00 pm |
  12. Bonnie

Yeah–Anderson–it's almost April and I still haven't lost any weight. . . maybe next year!!

Congrats on the award.

March 31, 2008 at 9:00 pm |
  13. Chris in Sarasota

OK, everybody, I think Anderson has heard enough of our forgiving him for his schedule and advising him on how to take care of himself! Heavens.

Re the Barack and Hillary Show - don't you think Chelsea said her mother would be a better President than her father just so most of the media could talk about it for two solid days, keeping Hillaryness on the air on every talk show? Those Clintons, they really know how to work it.

March 31, 2008 at 8:51 pm |
  14. Heidi B

I havent keept up with my new years either but i got all year he he
    it sounds like what happened to you was no big deal i hope it wasnt but your telling us that to not make us worry are u ?u are going to be ok right ,i miss ur smile defenitly going to watch u tonight

March 31, 2008 at 8:41 pm |
  15. Kathy, Chicago

Hi AC! Welcome home and I'm glad you are ok. Maybe you should buy yourself a nice hat. It will help keep the sun off of your face. I thought there was a temporary peace between the candidates. I watched Wolf last night after that wild and exciting basketball game-I'm sure you saw it also. I thought they were just attacking McCain now. I'm sure the peace won't last long. I'm looking forward to the show and Randi's story looks scary, yikes. And no, I havn't kept my resolution yet this year. With the value of the dollar dropping, I may not make it past Lake Michigan this year! Have a great night.

March 31, 2008 at 8:37 pm |
  16. Danielle M

Hello Anderson,

Huge congrats on your Genesis Award. PIP was indeed amazing! Glad your back in NY. Always great to read your blogs, I think you do very well considering how busy you are and how much you travel. Looking forward to the show tonight, even the politics even though I am from Toronto.

March 31, 2008 at 8:34 pm |
  17. Jocelyne

Hello Anderson,
    very nice that you're back..:) my new yr resolution?? oups!! forgot about it too!!....i read that your PIP won an award... this is totally nice.. congrats...glad you're well..A++.:)..looking forward to your show. bye, Jocelyne

March 31, 2008 at 8:32 pm |
  18. Eugenia

Four surgeons were taking a coffee break and were discussing their work, particularly which types of patients they'd had the best experiences with.

The first said, “I think accountants are the easiest to operate on. You open them up and everything inside is numbered.”

The second said, “I think librarians are the easiest to operate on. You open them up and everything inside is in alphabetical order.”

The third said, “I like to operate on electricians. You open them up and everything inside is color-coded.”

The fourth one said, “I like to operate on lawyers. They’re heartless, spineless, gutless, and their heads and a**es are interchangeable.”

San Francisco, Ca

March 31, 2008 at 8:30 pm |
  19. Debra

Anderson,
    I am sending you this email concerning the addict Doctor. My son has had several brain surgeries, and has been left without a bone flap and without reconstructive sinus surgery since 3/06. The Doctor did not give any reason or follow the american medical assoc, boards rules about patient abandonment, but still he refused to replace the brain bone flap that he removed, and has since moved to florida, but the hospital says he is returning in June 08. Call thid destiny, bad fortune, or does this Doctor also have an addiction. He could have released my son as a patient, referred him to another Dr. real simple,right? but no, what kind of thinking is this from a NeuroSurgeon?. HMMMMM How can we as mothers of patients be informed about either non caring or addict doctors. My son has been turned down by other doctors to get help because they say this doctor is liable. Well liable or not, my son is suffering and no doctor has had the guts to take on his case. When are the doctors going to stop covering up for each other and do the right thing by their patients? They are human and have problems just like their patients. Does money matter more than peoples lives? And Springs La is right but there are some bad doctors that need to be taken to court.
    PS. I was wondering where you were Anderson, glad your O.K.

March 31, 2008 at 8:29 pm |
  20. Lori/Boston

Hi Anderson,

I'm so glad everything went well with your surgery. Congratulations on your Genesis Award this weekend. Looking forward to the show tonight!

March 31, 2008 at 8:23 pm |
  21. Nicole

Glad to have you back! and yes...wear sunscreen and a hat! It'll go a long way (I'm from Florida...I should know)!

Look forward to the show tonight!!

March 31, 2008 at 8:17 pm |
  22. Tammy

Don't feel bad. I don't even remember my New Year's resolution (oops). Besides that, don't you do enough for this show anyway? You've even had blood drawn (literally) for the sake of a story. So what if you don't blog every day. It's o.k. You're absolved. Now absolve yourself.

You matter to a lot of people. Kindness attracts kindness. People really like you (even when some of us make snippy comments about-pick anything).

Looking forward to watching tonight. It sounds interesting. I might even attempt the live blog if my brain still is making sense by then.

March 31, 2008 at 8:13 pm |
  23. Michele, Northridge, CA

Well, I thought the live blog comments might count towards the New Year's resolution, but I wasn't sure.

March 31, 2008 at 8:12 pm |
  24. Marcia Warren MI

Would anyone admit if they didn't keep their resolutions, besides you Anderson, I don't think so. Glad you are doing well after your minor surgery and yes stay out of the sun or wear tons of sun screen. The economy is tanking, gas prices are soaring and all the candidates can do is talk about what the other is not doing, well I want to hear what THEY are going to do – how else are we going to decide.

Oh yeah Congratulations to all of you for the Genesis Award for Planet in Peril, you guys really deserve it.

March 31, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  25. Kathy, Andover

My, my . . . so defensive about that New Year's resolution! I FORGOT! Here's the best way to not get a guilt trip over those pesky resolutions: don't make any! Makes life a lot simpler.

March 31, 2008 at 8:08 pm |
  26. Judy Stage Brooklyn MI

Hi Anderson, Your trip to LA was obviously quite rewarding with the two Genises awards. Congrats to you and CNN on the Planet in Peril award and to you and CBS 60 Minutes for the award for your story on the decimation of the gorillas in Africa.
    See ya tonight.

March 31, 2008 at 8:07 pm |
  27. Jenine

Its never too late to re-start a resolution. I look forward to seeing Randis report tonite. I shudder as I wonder what other horror stories will be born out of a senerio like that. I really look forward to seeing the show.

March 31, 2008 at 8:03 pm |
  28. Minou, New York City

Hi Anderson,
    you're lucky you are a man! Men can have prematurely gray hair, and lines and scars on their faces, and it only makes them look better!
    You might want to invent a little story that goes along with that scar, though... fight stories are always hot!

I'm looking forward to the report on doctors.
    So, they are operating on us, while on withdrawal? Like the perma-sleep-deprivation they suffer isn't enough to give them shaky hands and fuzzy minds? Goodie.

Have a good show.

March 31, 2008 at 8:02 pm |
  29. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Hey Anderson!

Welcome home! Bet you are glad to be back in Manhattan. I know I would be! LOL. When you live in the best, why settle for less? I'm just saying........

Congratulations on the Genesis Award, it is very well derserved. Can't wait to see where you will go this year for PIP. And I will join the chorus here, wear sunscreen! I noticed that your face is healing nicely, thank goodness. Admittedly we were all worried, in spite of the fact that you told us not to. Hey, we care, so sue us. Ha ha ha! I mean, seriously, when someone has to cut into your face, it is no small deal.
    Please be careful and take care of yourself. We need you around, dude!

Also noticed that you wore the silver tie again for the awards ceremony. LOVE that tie. Wear it all you want; it suits you (no pun intended....well, maybe it was....LOL).

Appreciate your comments about blogging, but you are keeping your end of the bargain with the live blog. Although I have to admit, I miss your regular posts. Your writing style so reflects your personality and your quirky sense of humor. Two things that we all admire.

See ya later – thanks for blogging. All the Best!

March 31, 2008 at 8:01 pm |
  30. Pamina

Welcome back Anderson! It is always good to go away and great to come home- isn't it? Are you planning to go to Pennsylvania for the primary coverage?
    Looking forward to tonight's broadcast!
    Take care,
    Pamina

March 31, 2008 at 8:00 pm |
  31. Shanny

HA! I thought maybe you had just delegated your new year's resolution to Erica. She's great at blogging.

I would say though, that daily live blogging counts for something. How many more hoops can they make you jump through during a live broadcast for goodness sakes!

March 31, 2008 at 7:55 pm |
  32. Lisa

I got smart this year and didn't make any New Year's resolutions, therefore none to break.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me I need to make my yearly appointment with the Dermatologist. Try staying out of the sun when you're working with horses ... in California. I guess staying out of the sun would preclude you from moving the show here. But then again, that's why sunscreen 45 was invented.

Blog when you can but keep the snarky comments coming. Oh, and a night without Rev. Wright ... I'm excited.

March 31, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  33. Christine

Welcome back to the wonderful East Coast! Glad you are well.

Now for the comments that will make sure this does not get in!
    I feel Obama will not unite this country. After everything is said and done he does not have the experience to lead. I just wish you as a journalist would address this issue also his cocaine use, I mean how long, how much, how often. His lead in votes was mostly because of race. But you will beat up Hillary for days over anything – are all the men on your "best political team" afraid of a woman president? Don't even get me started on the women your have on – green is such a ugly color. And if we are to paint the candidates with their spouses paint brushes don't you think she comes out on top?

March 31, 2008 at 7:43 pm |
  34. Debbie, Denham Springs, LA

I read Randi Kaye's blog and I agree that these women went through horrific experiences. But I worry that all the things we hear about all the "bad" doctors will influence the way some people think about ALL doctors. Maybe CNN should do some investigative reporting about all the frivolous malpractice lawsuits that affect our judicial system and all the excellent physicians in this country. I think some people would be shocked at some of the unfounded things people accuse doctors of sometimes. I think doctors are often portrayed as corrupt and greedy and it's just not always the case. I work for 14 wonderful and talented surgeons who care very deeply about their patients and the care that is rendered to them. I also think doctors are held to an unrealistic standard. Although I don't think anyone deserves to be "butchered," I wonder if the focus on only stories like these will eventually damage the practice of medicine as a whole.

March 31, 2008 at 7:42 pm |
  35. Lisa

Glad to see you back. It's nice to actually see AC of AC360 on the blog.
    And of course no resolutions have been kept as they should, are they ever?

March 31, 2008 at 7:39 pm |
  36. Jolene

Anderson:
    Well, I guess I thought you were blogging...doesn't your "Live" blogging count? If we are going to be honest, I abandoned my New Year's Resolution shortly after the new year began. Next year, I'm not making one, then I won't feel so bad.

Glad you are back and it sounds like you've had a speedy recovery!

Thanks for blogging!

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

March 31, 2008 at 7:39 pm |
  37. Maureen T

Anderson, we usually get to blog with you every weekday so what more can we ask for? 😀 Look forward to the show tonight!

March 31, 2008 at 7:38 pm |
  38. R

And Mr.Cooper,

Don't forget sunscreen SP360.

March 31, 2008 at 7:37 pm |
  39. R

Hi Mr.Cooper,

Nice to have you back. Good to hear the stches out.

March 31, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  40. Jo Ann

Anderson,

Nice to see you back! As I recall you said you were going to blog every day. I thought that sounded a little too ambitious, you should have only promised to blog once a week!

Your “little surgery” looks fine; just remember the sunscreen!

Congratulations on the Genesis Award this weekend for PIP; you certainly deserved it.

I look forward to tonight’s program.

Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

March 31, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  41. Kristien,Antwerp, Belgium

Hey Anderson,

Well, I have kept my NY's resolution (so far), thanks for asking.

If you are having trouble staying out of the sun, you should come to Belgium, no risk of getting any sun here...

I have read Randy's post, it's scary stuff.
    Should we now ask every surgeon if he has an AA membership card?
    Make them walk in a straight line to the OR?
    I mean, surgery is scary enough without you having to worry wether your surgeon is sober or not!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the show,
    Kristien

March 31, 2008 at 7:34 pm |
  42. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Geez I come to NYC last week and your in LA. Now that I am home your back in NYC. A girl can't win 😛

Glad you made it home safely from LA. fter my vacation i understand the "nice to be home" concept. And also glad to see you blogging. I do believe your resolution was to blog everyday but at least you live blog a lot.

Tonight's show should really good. Can't wait to see it

March 31, 2008 at 7:34 pm |
  43. Cindy

Anderson,

Well it seems each day there is some new fuss between Obama and Hillary and it's mostly nothing to do with the issues that matter to us! It's mainly them trying to tear each other down. I'm really tired of it honestly! Hopefully they can get back to the real issues soon!

Glad to hear that everything is going OK with the surgery! Now just don't forget to use A LOT of sunscreen, us fair skin people need it even when it is cloudy! The sun never stops getting ya!

It's about time that you blogged again! Thought you'd forgotten us! And NO...the live blog DOES NOT count! LOL So you better get to blogging on here!

C-Ya Tonight!

Cynthia, Covington, Ga.

March 31, 2008 at 7:33 pm |
  44. Lilibeth

It's a pleasant surprise to see your blog today. Don't feel bad about not blogging...at least you kept up your resolution for a few weeks there...me, I broke mine on the 2nd day of the year! LOL!

Yeah, try to stay out of the sun (if you can). Even with my dark skin, I was advised to put on sunscreen everyday. I'm told not only does this help prevent skin cancer…it also helps your skin age less…

Yikes on Randi Kaye’s story. I feel sorry for the poor people who had to go through this horrific experience. I look forward to the full report tonight.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

March 31, 2008 at 7:32 pm |
  45. Gwen Nugent, Brisbane, Australia

Hi Anderson!

Glad you're back in New York. Don't worry too much about the blogging every day, I'm sure we can all cut you some slack...you are pretty busy! It was great seeing you on the Tonight Show–you were very funny!

Gwen

March 31, 2008 at 7:31 pm |
  46. Ruby Coria, LA., CA.

Cooper, I'm glad you're home but sad to see you leave LA., you look good they can't really call you 'Scar Face' not that it would be a bad thing if they did but you are cooler then him...see you tonight.

March 31, 2008 at 7:21 pm |
  47. Katie

Welcome home Anderson!

Congrats to you and CNN on the Genesis Award for Planet in Peril.

And...if you must be out in the sun, for heaven's sake...wear sunscreen!

March 31, 2008 at 7:19 pm |
  48. Jana, Indiana

I bet it was hard staying out of the sun in sunny California. You need to remember to use sun screen when you are out in the sun. We are all glad that everything is all right.

March 31, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  49. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Anderson,
    Glad you're back, looking forward to the show tonight. See you later.

March 31, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  50. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

Anderson, glad to hear you recovered well from your minor surgery. Just remember sun screen is your friend...lol!!!

Randi's story should be interesting. I think if a doctor is undergoing treatment for an addiction they should have to disclose it to their patients.

Sounds like an interesting program tonite. Can't wait. See you tonite!!!

March 31, 2008 at 7:15 pm |