March 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/28/08

Some breaking news, CNN has confirmed that the White House is talking about a massive new overhaul of how they regulate Wall Street. We'll start with that.Also, from the campaign trail, calls from Barack Obama supporters for Hillary Clinton to get out of the race.  Some of her senate colleagues have been very strong in their words, but she believes that she's got the best of all reasons to keep going.We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. michaelp0429

Walmart has gotten where they are by being RUTHLESS. We shouldn't be surprised by their recent activities.

We should however stop shopping there and pay the 15 cents more to buy the same thing at a decent, honorable company (where some of the products might actually be made in the U.S.)

March 28, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  2. Rose from IA

Hi Anderson!
    Have ya missed me tonight? :o) I'm home baking and frosting sugar cookies and WATCHING your Show. Come on over - they are done now.....warm and yummy!!

Thanks for the update on Debbie Shank v WalMart. I'll search Facebook to see if I can find a group collecting money for the family. So incredibly sad!! I'm on SS Disability and remember the difficult times waiting to get approved after I was no longer able to work. (NOTHING near the Shank situation, tho!!) I was a legal secy working for a litigation firm who specialized in Insurance Defense, so I KNOW WalMart wasn't telling the truth and "playing fair." (What else is new for WalMart........I've boycotted them for many years already because of their unfair practices........., but Jeffrey Tubin is absolutely correct!! Naturally.......:o)
    SO, thanks for your follow up and wonderful Show tonight. Sure was nice to be able to WATCH the first hour instead of staying up to watch the 2nd hour rerun. :o) Have a GREAT WEEKEND everyone!

March 28, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Kathy, Chicago

Hope everyone has a great week-end!

March 28, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  4. Becky

This Walmart story is outrageous! Why didn't Walmart use the money they spent suing this woman to reimburse their insurance fund? I won't shop there again. So much for supporting our troops and their families.

March 28, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  5. Bet

It's not fair the way they're ganging up on Clinton to drop out – she leads in superdelegates – she's not asking Obama to drop out – what is he afraid of? More revelations?
    PICTURE THIS: - If Obama is the nominee, a few days before the general election, a simple tv ad by the RNC: showing Richardson and Clinton with hand over heart and Obama hands over you-know-what during the singing of "God Bless America", and words printed on screen, "Is Sen. Obama thinking, God D....n America? During the 20 years with the preaching of Rev. Wright, how much of his preaching has Sen Obama absorbed?" "And, how much of Sen. Obama do we really know?" –

March 28, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  6. JC

It is a SHAME that one of the biggest and most profitable retail chains in the world has no compassion for a severely disabled employee and chose to make the situation worse and put her in such an absurd situation.

What are the urls for petittions ?

WALMART is a SHAME to AMERICA !!!
    boycott WALMART

March 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  7. David R., Goldsboro, NC

Anderson,
    trust me...I am no fan of Walmart...however, in this case I think we are giving a pass to the person who should be charged for negligence...the attorney. Unlike most companies in the US, Walmart self-insures their health plan...basically, all employees pay into it, and they cover everyone from it....catastrophic cases like these raise the premiums of all who participate...and so they have policies to recover loses that they should not have had to pay in the first place so that they can keep the costs affordable. In this case, it was determined that the trucking company was at fault...and in that case, they should have been they ones to pay the $470,000.00 Walmart paid out of their health account. The attorney for the family knew this and should have requested enough monies to both pay back Walmart and be able to cover the expenses of the victim for the rest of their life. Yet, knowing that they had to re-imburse Walmart...he still only asked for and received $1 million...of which he knew he was going to get a 30% retainer....that is mal practice to me....the family trusted him to get enough cash to cover all debts and expenses they may incur and he did not...now he is getting a pass....DO NOT GIVE THE LAWYER A PASS....THIS IS TRULY MALPRACTICE!!!!

March 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  8. dkhutt, Az

So Walmart is willing to take 200K from a family because, "it can". We need not to spend money there, because " We CAN". I have no interest in doing business with such a disgusting company with such a narrow minded view of how healthcare should be funded. I doubt this money would decrease any employee's premiums. As mentioned on the air tonight, Walmart has other so called "organizations" to help their employees. Another company with bogus foundations for show, and probably only help management's families. We have seen this crap before. Don't shop there! That includes Sam's Club!

March 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  9. Sam in Los Angeles, CA

Thank you for bringing attention to this WalMart story, Your coverage has given a voice to someone who would have otherwise been voiceless. I hope that she receives the justice that she so deserves.

March 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  10. April in NY

It wouldn't be fair to split the votes in Michigan and Florida esp when a lot of people did cast their votes for Clinton. It wouldn't be accurate stance of what people wanted in either state. It wasn't the voters fault that their votes didn't count esp in Florida where their voting laws were changed by the republicians. Clinton should not drop out since she should have the lead in delegates if Florida and Michigan had Counted. I am ashamed as a democrat that people are still backing Obama esp after everything that has come out about him in the last few months. Every vote should count since that is what Obama had originally said before the thought of counting Florida and Michigan. Clinton has done a lot of good things for NY and has actually shown she even cares about the part of NY state north of Albany that is usually forgotten about.

March 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  11. Chuck in Alabama

This boy's father is a STRONG man. God Bless him. It's a shame that we can't fix our illegal alien problems.

March 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Priya

Jamil's story is so sad. Such a promised life cut so short – for no fault of his.

This story keeps getting sadder. I agree it is such an avoidable tragedy. Such a wonderful family.

March 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  13. Alex

Thank you for covering the question of Michigan's revote. I live in Florida, which has also been silenced. Howard Dean keeps blaming Florida for the problem, but the voters are being punished for the conflict between the state and local branches of the party. The Democratic Party is going to have to make an extraordinary effort in this state. If they can't deal with this, why should we vote for them?

March 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  14. Rob, Arvada, CO

I'm sorry, but Wal-Mart is NOT the greatest thing since Jesus! You do have a choice! Don't shop there anymore. The stain is on the blue dress that is Wal-Mart! Support your local grocery store, shop at Target, or Sears, or Best Buy, do not give the Wal-mart crooks any more of our money. You thought Bear-Stearns was bad, wait until we see the Wal-Mart Meltdown.

March 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Renee

Some people say they can't afford to shop any place else besides WMT. Really, how much stuff from China do you really need? Look at all the junk in that store. Some Americans think a happy and productive life is one full of stuff.

Unfortnately not all Americans have access to other stores based on their locations. I fully understand that issue. Cheap is not always the best plan. If I go to WMT once a year, that is just too much for me.

March 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  16. John

It's hard to believe that billionaire sale Walmart is sueing it former employee. Walmart's senior managements are a bun of greedy....they are only care about the profits and careless about its employees . I've never shopped at Walmart and this is another reason that I will never put my feet in the Walmart store. I will campaign to my family and friends to not shop at this greedy company.

March 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  17. sissy

in my opinion Hillary has to stay in the race. We need her in the white house. how can you hire someone for the hardest job in the US when he can't even decide how he feels about his own pastor? first he had never heard any of the offensive remarks..then he had heard some offensive remarks.....he then didn't like what was said but he was like a member of his family....he even made his white grandmother look like she was raciest to make his case....then on the view today he would of left the church if the pastor hadn't said his remarks were wrong.....can this man not make up his mind???????if he becomes president we are all in for a long 4 yrs.

March 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  18. Barry (Cordova, Tennessee)

Anderson, Even though I don't have any health insurance, if you or someone else starts a fund for the Shank family, I will donate to it. I already boycott at Wal-mart because they are harmful to our economy (getting so many items from China and sending our money overseas) and typically most of their employees (part-time) do not have any health insurance. They have stuck me as a taxpayer to provide TennCare for their employees.

March 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  19. ariston I miami beach, FL

Let's start a fund to help this woman that is being sued by Wal Mart.

How can we get CNN involved?

Ariston

March 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  20. James

To all Obama and Clinton supporters. It will be a grave mistake to vote for Mcain in November, if your candidate looses. Because the whole point of supporting one of these two is because you like their policies, on the economy, and stopping the war in Iraq. So why would you vote for Mcain who will keep the war going and most likely not do much for healthcare or the economy. Most of you will see that vote for Mcain was foolish. But only in hindsight. Like most of the Bush supporters feel right now, and like they say hindsight is always 20/20... If you stand for nothing you will fall for anything....

March 28, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  21. Yla

Disagree FredNY – not everyone has short term memory. Walmart can survive because they are such a huge company. Trust me if this was a small little business they would not survive the bad publicity. Don't underestimate the power of the people.

March 28, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  22. 2nd Grade Teacher & friends

I understand that people want their voices to be heard, but I strongly feel that the outcome will be that Barack Obama will be the democratic nominee. I used to be a Clinton fan, and knew that if she was the nominee I would vote for her. As this carries on I find myself disliking her more and more. Her strategy is to wait for the opponent to drop the ball rather than try and show that she is the right one to lead our country.

It is absolutely rediculous for the Clinton supporters to attempt to blame the Michigan-Florida fiasco on Obama. He did not create this mess. It is not his place to fix the problem. He is a good man, and would accept any reasonable and fair solution. It's just another attempt to try and fling something at him and hope it sticks. Enough is enough.

I'm a young teacher and I think about the future of my students when I think about the direction and image of our country....Obama is the answer.

March 28, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  23. Taariq

I feel that it is down-right despecable what Walmart has chosen to do to the family of Debbie Shanks. After her family has lost so much, including the loss of their son in Iraq, Walmart continues to pursue the money that she and her family desparately needs in order to help provide for her long-term care. SHAME ON YOU WALMART!!!!!

March 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  24. JanMIandCO

Once Sam Walton passed away Wal-Marts attitude towards their "associates" started to change and is now so bad he would not recognize. What he would say to his family and the Wal-Mart board if he could!

March 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  25. Deejay

Remember folks Hillary didnt campaign in Michigan or florida either she was smart enough to make sure she was on the ticket but thats as far as she went, I know Obama likes to try to make out like since she went to Florida the day of the election she was campaigning but she was just showing the voters that they still matter even if their state officials did screw up big time. The people should still count. Their votes should still count if Obama wanted to let the people know he cared too he could have but he choose to ignore the voters in these states because they supposedly dont count just because a couple of party leaders in their states wanted to act out for whatever reason. The voters shouldn't have to suffer due to party politics if the dems dont make this right it could easily cost them in November Hillary was trying to stop that result even if Mr Dean doesnt care about November most of us do. However we also care about making sure the whole country has an equal vote this time. Havent we seen enough Party games to get what the party thinks they want. Isnt that how Bush stole the last two elections by screwing Florida voters and then last election Ohio voters were treated just as badly. Now the Dems or playing these games they better wake up or they will lose supporter too.

March 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  26. june

Well put Anderson. The media should be impartial. Thanks why I like watching you..

March 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  27. Serge

If I was the CEO of Target, I would pay the women the equivalent of what Wal-Mart is planning to recoup from her and I would then issue a statement saying that Target will discontinue this practice. If Target or any other retailer was smart they would do that tomorrow and watch the public rally behind them and see their sales go through the roof!

Wal-Mart has reached the stage at which they think they are too big to be taken down but they forget that big companies downfall always happen because of public sentiment turning against them

March 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Paolo

What a sad WalMart case. I really feel for the victim's family. WalMart should have a lot of considerations. WalMart is one of those companies that represent how harsh capitalism can get in America.

March 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  29. Priya

Wow! I did not realize that she lost her son in Iraq.

I agree with you Anderson. They could have easily helped her inother ways from their own personal money. Just to save from the bad publicity – even if they don't want to do the decent thing.

March 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Concerned American

Anderson,

Are their any good Lawyers left in the country to sue Walmart for Emotional damages.

Can Walmart customers sue them who had spend $ and getting to see the "EVILMART"

boycott EVILMART

March 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Jennifer

Shame on Wal-Mart. The more I hear the worse it is. How can they have all of those options for helping this family as Jeffrey just mentioned and not even use one but instead go after that family for the money. It really is reprehensible.

March 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  32. Fay, CA

After hearing about the Shanks and Wal-Mart, I can't imagine ever shopping there again. It is truly disgusting that they won't back down and make an exception for this family.

March 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  33. Helen Luceney

Why would anyone vote for a person who sat in a pew for 20 years listening to a pastor spew such hatred for the United States of America and its people? Michelle Obama even said not long ago that was the first day she was proud of her country (influenced by Rev Wright and allowing her children to be influenced by this continuing diatribe).

March 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Wendy in PA

Leave it to our governor to open his mouth and stick his foot directly in it. I have to say that it is absolutely true that there are people in this state that will not vote for Obama because of his race which I think is incredibly sad and unfortunate, but thankfully these people are in the minority. I am proud to say that I am a white, college-educated woman in my upper 20s and am proudly supporting Obama in the upcoming primary, and Governor Rendell certainly does not speak for me. There is an intense enthusiasm for Obama among his supporters in the area and we had a huge increase in Democratic voter registrations in the state, so I feel that Barack will do better in Pennsylvania than many believe at this point. I think it is imperative for him to get out and do more campaigning and just blanket the entire state from east to west and everywhere in between. I will definitely be attending his town meeting in Harrisburg this weekend.

March 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  35. Jolene

I emailed Wal-Mart and pretty much got the same response back from them. It's sad that they couldn't even send a representative to CNN to speak on this issue, all they did was send a statement? That's about as cold as it gets. I hope 360 stays on this story. They need to speak to the public about this, too many people are outraged!

March 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  36. Kathy, Chicago

I don't think that Sam Walton would have let this happen. Walmart could use this story for good PR. They can certainly help this familt.

March 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  37. Krista

As a person with a disability, I find this story very upsetting, however it is not unusual. If it is not a story like this it is one where someone with a disability is dropped from a health plan because it is costing too much or necessary medical equiptment or proceedures are denied. Our society just does not have a track record of valuing the lives of people with disabilities or supporting our equality in life.

March 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  38. David

Hi Anderson. I understand the legalities behind Wal-Marts decision to sue but that does not mean it's the right decision. It is just another demonstration of Corporate Greed and if this is any indication of how Wal-Mart treats it's employees, without Humanity, I will no longer spend another dime at their stories. It doesn't matter that the money goes back to the health plan. With profits of Billions they could contribute what is owed back to the fund on behalf of the family. $270,000.00 doesn't go far when you have to institutionalize someone. Hasn't the family suffered enough and made the ultimate sacrifice for their Country?

March 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  39. EJ - Ohio

I can't really afford to shop elsewhere. That is how Walmart has hoodwinked many of us. I disagree with what Walmart has done but I'm not willing to use up all of my savings shopping somewhere more expensive to prove a point that can't be proven with a Walmart boycott. They have a reputation of treating their employees like crap.

I think the best thing that can be done is what CNN is doing now. Expose them. Let everyone know what they are doing. So thanks for exposing their cold hearted tactics.

March 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  40. Fred

Anderson, your comments about media impartiality are refreshing and important. This is your show and obviously very popular. Would you consider a future editorial piece on this subject of the importance of media impartiality? It would be a great service to your profession and a crucial message to your fellow journalists in all media who have temporarily misplaced their sense of responsibility to the public.

March 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  41. Renee

@ Michelle: Every health plan has separately managed assets to pay future bills. WMT is suing this family to put these funds that they have already paid out for Debbie's care back in the health care account so they can pay future claims for other employees including Debbie. Most plans have this feature. I was in a minor car accident and it happened in my case. I had to pay back all of my doctor's bills.

March 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  42. FredNY

WalMart will do what they want to do....in a year...We'll all forget about it...and continue to shop there.
    Bet on it....they are.

March 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Steve

The tragedy in this wall-mart case comes from a society that allows double dipping, as long as people think they should be paid from more than one source for a injury this problem will occur, in canada if this were to happen the auto insurance would pay out the care for the injury no ability to sue. I shouldn't say no ability because if you came across something that was a loss in an injury sense or material sense that was not covered by insurance you could sue for it in civil court this would not be considered double dipping. the father thinks that having the bill paid for the injured persons care and the money as well is the right thing, sorry I don't agree.

March 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  44. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

Yet again Walmart is showing their true colors.

March 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  45. May be absent in November

This WalMart story is right on! Name 5 people that have read the fine print in their healthcare coverage plan! Of course, that is thinking that those 5 people HAVE a healthcare plan. We, Americans, believe that we do not have a "socialized" medical plan, yet the health care provider we go to, the tests and medicines that are covered are completely DICTATED by the healthcare plans! We really need to open our eyes to how we are blindsided all the time by healthcare plans.

LET IT GO WALMART!

March 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  46. JT, Texas

Come on...Clinton is STILL in the race...let's not get upset over something that has not happened...we will no more after PA...
    President Clinton just said yesterday that Clinton's do not quit..I think she will see this through until the end.

March 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  47. MaryBeth

If Wal-Mart was "obliged" to sue Mrs. Shank, then do all companies have that same obligation? Who would get medical insurance thru their company then? If I had to pay back anything I got in an accident, I would so NOT join that health plan.

March 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  48. Yvonne

The American Government needs to take a field trip to Canada and observe how wonderful and possible Universal Health Care is. If this Walmart employee worked for Walmart Canada she would have the best medical care for free.

March 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  49. Paula

I am a political junky so i watch all the sations-cnn ,msnbc,nbc,cbs,abc, and even fox.If the average person is only getting the sound bites off of there regular news they are sadly mis-informed and they are getting the personal judgements ,opinions and political affiliations of the news casters. and unfortunately thats what they will base there votes on.

March 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

I would be very interested to hear Jeffrey Toobin discuss why ,in a case that involves a large company like Wal-Mart, would the Supreme Court not hear the case.

March 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |