March 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/28/08

Some breaking news, CNN has confirmed that the White House is talking about a massive new overhaul of how they regulate Wall Street. We'll start with that.Also, from the campaign trail, calls from Barack Obama supporters for Hillary Clinton to get out of the race.  Some of her senate colleagues have been very strong in their words, but she believes that she's got the best of all reasons to keep going.We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jeff in Detroit

If Wal-Mart lets her keep the money, it sets a precedent. How many other employees whose money was recovered, would come after Wal-Mart and ask for their money back? It's not just about this one family.

March 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Priya

I agree with Jeffrey – no one is obligated to sue. They have the option. Walmart would be smart to apologize and back off!

March 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Lorna

Hilory Clinton should not drop out because Obama is afraid that voters will soon see his true colours.
    Racism- has a coat of many colours
    What is thre true reason why Rev. Whright cannot speak for hisself?
    If an average person was to use such hate speaches, they would be prosecuted.
    I used too think Obama would make a good President, since this Rev. Wright issue I would never vote for someone who continued to go too Trinity United Church, for Twenty years, and repeatedly listen to such hate sermons,
    I have lost respect for Mr. Obama, with all the lies and cover ups.

March 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Carly,AL

i wish my family did not shop at walmart any more but truth be told its the only store around here........the ony other store is an hour away and shame on walmart this is morally discusting........makes me wanna protest walmart or something..... absolute heartless money tycoons......

March 28, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Yla

You are so right Anderson – Walmart is sticking to their guns but at what cost?

March 28, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  6. Shane, Kentucky

Wal Mart couldn't replace the $200,000 in the health plan with some of their own money? Would that not be $200,000 well spent for public relations, not to mention the help it would provide the disabled lady? That's ridiculous!

March 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Deepee

We should also try to find out who is the health insurance company that Walmart has. I saw that Walmart is trying to hide behind the law. We should try to investigate a little deeper into the Health Insurance company etc.

March 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  8. a2w2

Whatever reason there are against counting the votes in Michigan and Florida, they strike me as hypocritical. Whoever dismisses my vote, I would like to call for that candidate to quit!

March 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  9. june

Carville said Obama needs to win primaries...where has Carville been these past few months???
    Anderson, please keep the pressure on WalMart...this is a terrible thing! By the way, i like Candy.Oh, and you, and Erica.

March 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Brandi in the Swamps of Louisiana

Anderson,

"The Media" is great, its the only way I know what is happening in the world. I think you are doing a good job of remaining unbiased. Yes, I saw the challenge to HRC about making the phone call for an interview, nothing wrong with challenging her.

March 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  11. Duck

That money does go back to the business, indirectly. If it's a self insured health plan, than it goes directly to the company. If not, it would still go to the business by way of premiums. Walmart is just being greedy.

March 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  12. Gwen of NJ

Florida and Michigan represent an interesting dilemna. Recognizing that in the primaries some states are influenced by momentum, having a revote at this point seems a bit not logical. It would be like changing the rules in the middle of a basketball game. The teams play the game from the beginning, based on the rules at the start. If you change the rules in the middle of the game, one team or the other will feel cheated and that the game was not fair. Typically, the losing team.

Florida just seems to have troubles getting their voting act together all around.

March 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  13. Mary

I know that I have heard many time that people didn't want the Super Delgates to give the nomination to Hillary Clinton. So why have I been hearing all day for the Super Delgates to load on and give the nomination to Obama.

Lets be clear the way it stands today the Super Delgates will award this nomination to one of these candidates so let the rest of the people vote. Both Hillary and Obama have a great following and are loved by the American people, that is why both sides want everyone to be fair and hold your tongue and don't try to push either candidate out, because this will make people unhappy and they will vote republican. I really believe that.

March 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  14. Jennifer J.

This WalMart story is heartwrenching...if they can't have their case heard in court, where can they go? I understand that the company is within the law, but in a country that touts its generosity toward other countries, what about their own?

March 28, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Priya

The walmart story could also qualify for the "what were they thinking" slot! truely what was/ is walmart management thinking.

March 28, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  16. AHM

Wal-mart is just another corporation that could care less about it's employees. The bottom line is always more important to these companies. It's far more important to give the big wigs huge bonuses than it is to care about a disabled employee.

I stopped shopping at Walmart a year ago and will continue to use my money at other stores.

March 28, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  17. michaelp0429

Anderson,

I don't live in PA but I've seen an ad supposedly being run there by Obama that claims he takes no money from the oil industry and claiming that he will bring about real energy legislation, unlike the energy legislation enacted by George Bush that was written by the oil companies.

But I've also seen reports that Obama has taken money from all the leading oil companies and I believe Obama voted for the Bush energy plan, (which Hillary voted against).

Which is the truth? There is so much BS in the email / blogging wars that I look to you and the media to confirm or deny these rumors. Is Obama lying in his ads in PA or is the Clinton campaign making that all up?

March 28, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Michelle

I am confused Walmart says it needs to recover the money for
    the healthcare plan. How is that so ?

March 28, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  19. Renee

Randi Kaye: why can't Wal-Mart tap their foundation and fund up an account for her?

March 28, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  20. priscilla

Yvonne i agree with you. you've said it all. HRC does well among blue _collar workers and white women, Obama does well among blacks and the young voters. so guess what they both need each other desperately. let no one think HRC has the upper hand. if so she would be leading. but she is not which means she is lacking in something. don't tell me someone has won 30 contests and the other 16 and we are all trying to figure out who is the winner. please

March 28, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Jolene

Wal-Mart's response to the Shank case sounds like a "canned" response to me.

March 28, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  22. Jeff in Detroit

What's so hard about having no states vote before Super Tuesday? It IS unfair for states with so few electoral votes (Iowa, New Hampshire, etc.) to have so much influence over which candidates go on to the later primaries. That's what started this whole mess.

March 28, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  23. EJ - Ohio

"can nipple rings be used as a weapon or something? i mean, can you hold up the cockpit with a nipple ring or something!?!"

Obviously those TSA workers were lacking in intelligence.

However, I think it stemmed from the fact that some women can use their bras as weapons – bra bombs I think.

The way TSA went about this was wrong. Humiliation and pliers should not have been involved in this incident. All they needed to do was make sure the woman was not a threat. This should not involve any male agents snickering nearby.

March 28, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Maureen T

Don't tell me that a company the size of Walmart could not do the right thing and let this one go. I said it before, but whatever happened to compassion? An exemption should definitely be made for the Shanks! It's unbelievable!!

March 28, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Walmartgig

This lady doesnt need money medicaid will cover all her expenses if shes in poverty.

March 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Brandi in the Swamps of Louisiana

Laura,

Some nipple rings probably could be used as weapons. lol

March 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

It's terrible they way Walmart is treating the Shank family.

March 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  28. Becca

Haha, Anderson I don't think you're naive. I agree that the talking heads on television or on radio shouldn't have the authority to tell the populace when they've tired of a story, and so influence their decision. Instead, as you said, the news should present the facts, (as unbiased as possible). You give us the foundations with which we can manipulate to make our own choices.

Job well done.

March 28, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  29. darren

Mark my word and keep your eye on the senatorial race in PA in 2012. Mr. Casey won in 2006 because a good 20%of us voted for him because we had it with Santorium . After Hillary's win on the 22 of April and he still support Obama and not the will of the PA electorate he will become a one term senator.

March 28, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  30. Chuck in Alabama

Brian. You are right on. If we are going to 'Unify" the country. It's going to have to come from both sides of the racial divide.

March 28, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Big James

Its sad to see that happen to the poor lady, being a veteran, i think that the military should have taken care of her healthcare if he died over in iraq, its disscusting that the wal-mart didnt figure out a better way to deal with this situation, im sure the bills didnt just pop-up and they im sure they knew she had them. If anything she should have a lawsuit against wal-mart. But its not the first time i've heard that happen to a disabled person from wal-mart.

March 28, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Fubara S - Canada

Anderson you are an outstanding broadcaster, unique in your own style.

You are simple awesome! You tell the stories as though it’s never been told.

Keep the flag flying man; we your fans are proud of you

March 28, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  33. Arwa

Anderson. why does Obama and his supporters think Hillarys supporters are going to vote for him in Nov?
    Truthfully, I DON'T CARE IF HILLARY COMES OUT AND TELLS ME TO VOTE FOR OBAMA, I WILL NOT VOTE FOR HIM.
    I HAVE MORALS AND PRINCIPLES.
    I stand by Hillary only! I am a former Republican and I WILL WITHOUT A DOUBT VOTE FOR MCAIN SHOULD OBAMA WIN THE NOMINEE

March 28, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  34. Fred

Kathryn: Agree completely. I hope voters in Pennsylvania, NC, Indiana and beyond take note and show that they do count. It's a shame that over 2.5 million Democrats in Michigan and Florida may not matter either. I guess "rules" may determine this election, not democracy in action.

March 28, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  35. Maura, Minneapolis

Hi Anderson, Great show tonight. Would CNN please post an address where I could send this good family a check in the amount I would have spent at Walmart? I'm proud to say I've rarely shopped there – and will never do so again. Shame on them.

March 28, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  36. Duckie

Shame on Walmart! How dare this huge, successful company treat an employee that suffered a terrible accident in this manner. Walmart...how about considering this families circumstances, too??
    The husband is recovering from prostate cancer...they lost a son while fighting in Iraq...have a heart!! I will never shop in your store ever again.

March 28, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  37. Sherri Smith

I will vote for Hillary again, if I get the opportunity. I will not vote for Obama (Johnny Come Lately on the Scene). I will not vote for a Republican. I will vote for an Independent, if Hilllary does not get the nomination. If she doesn't get the nomination after all her hard work, I hope she drops the Democratic Party and starts another Political Party.

March 28, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  38. Heidi Moser, Vancouver

Regarding the Walmart story, from what I saw last night Walmart is pursuing the issue on behalf of their employees who pay into their group benefit program. Really? I'm not sure if it is the same in the US as it is here in CAnada but Walmart employees aren't paid especially well. Makes me a little suspicious of their motives. Have they polled their employees to see whether they'd like Walmart to collect their money? I think I would be a prouder employee of Walmart if they would do the morally right thing rather than the thing they have the right to do.

March 28, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  39. Theresa - MN

The Wal-Mart thing is a Blue Cross Blue Shield thing. It's called subrogation. I used to work in claims customer service for employer groups. You cannot get double benefits. It is not small print.

Whenever there is a claim that comes in for an injury type thing a subrogation form goes out explaining that very thing. It asks for "accident details" and if there is a pending suit. YOu can not be paid for the same claim twice. It sucks for these people and I feel horrible for them but it's a legal document. They signed it.

Furthermore, it wasn't Wal-Mart's money. It was the money from Wal-Mart employees paying into the plan.

March 28, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  40. Lorraine

Why should Hillary drop out of the race? The U.S.A. can tell other countries they need to have a democractic society and yet today you have senators and high ranking officials declaring Hillary needs to get out of the race. Enough is enough according to Chris Dodd. Where's the democracy here? It isn't over until all the votes are counted.

March 28, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  41. Sandy from Minnesota

I'm taking action:
    I just e-mailed Sen. Leahy and complained about him asking Sen. Clinton to leave the race. I've stopped watching any programming that beats up on Mrs. Clinton so that means I've stopped watching most of CNN coverage. Anderson, you and Larry King are all that is left of what use to be CNN being set as my default channel. C-span is now my default channel when I don't watch other TV. I'm counting on you to give me the most accurate news, without anchor pundancy.

March 28, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Pat

Hillary should stay in the race....why would she want to drop out just because Obama supporters want her to.....I wish Obama would make it easy and drop out so Hillary could win...lol.

March 28, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  43. CJ in NM

priscilla, from your perspective it appears that only blacks and whites will have a say in this election. Why isn't anyone in the media screaming that it appears delegates are being "stolen" from HC in TX? keep em' honest, anderson!

March 28, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Stacy

Anderson, I agree "the media" is such an encompassing term it's made meaningless, but I think you're supposed to do more than just cover what's going on–you're supposed to be a vital check on power.

Also, the Lou/Wolf comments you just made are going to give me nightmares. Thanks.

March 28, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  45. PLAP17

Why don't the super delegates do play an actually helpful role in michigan and florida. Let the :"elected" delegates be split 50/50 as the candidates did not have a fair contest – and have the Super Delegates weigh in on Hillary's side if they feel she's been wronged. Doesn't that address satisfying both the Obama and Hillary camps?

March 28, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Paula

And all this people endorsing Obama are not doing it because they think he is the best candidate, they are doing it for there own political purposes and careers.

March 28, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Gail Steinel

Rules vs Rules

The Obama campaign says that Florida and Michigan need to follow the rules. Therefore, no redo of the primary and those voters don't count. But then they say the super delegates should vote the same as the committed delegates. Funny, how they don't think the super delegate rules count.
    Double talk!

March 28, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Cj

"Re-vote in Michigan. Obama doesn’t rule!!"

I only WISH there was a re-vote in Michigan and Obama was on the ballot THIS TIME, as I am from Michigan and all of my friends and family support Senator Obama. Sadly, Michigan and Florida decided to move the dates up knowing the consequences they could face, and here it is.

Go Obama!

March 28, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  49. Brian

Anderson, I am a "Typical White person" and I am outraged at the remarks of Obama's preacher and Obama himself. My outrage stems from the fact that I guess all these black pople go to a christian church and than are told to look out for us white people. What about all of us who went to Obama ralleys. What about all of the white people that marched with king and in the other civil rights marches and ralleys. I feel like we the white race has been played by the backs all this time. A black lady came out of her church and told the media we need to remember our grandparents and about they way times were with segrigation. OK, My 4th generation grandfather was a union officer. He faught at Getteyberg. He joined because our family was against the south having slaves. How did that benifit me?? I got Afirmitive Action!! So what promise of HOPE does Obama give me now?? Do u have the guts to talk more about this issue and how upset and defeated whites feel?? We'll see!!
    You have my e-mail.

March 28, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Neil Sharpe

Walmart is a great example of corporate greed. The economy is going downhill, retail sales are going down and consumer confidence is dwindling. What do Walmart do? Squeeze the most helpless in society for a quick buck.

March 28, 2008 at 10:32 pm |