March 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/28/08

Some breaking news, CNN has confirmed that the White House is talking about a massive new overhaul of how they regulate Wall Street. We'll start with that.Also, from the campaign trail, calls from Barack Obama supporters for Hillary Clinton to get out of the race.  Some of her senate colleagues have been very strong in their words, but she believes that she's got the best of all reasons to keep going.We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Bonnie

Isn't Obama afraid voters in Michigan and Florida will not vote for him, (since he is so obviously the one behind the no re-do) if he is the candidate in the general election for dems?

March 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  2. xtina

Im still in shock at Obama saying the 15 percent capital gains tax is too low and needs to be raised. .is this the beginning of his socialist agenda?

March 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  3. Kathy, Chicago

Obama did drag his feet in Fla and Mi. It will be his fault if they go Rep. in the fall. Hillary didn't campaign there either. If he refuses to do a redo, i think hillary should get the votes. She was smart enough to keep her name on the ballot.

March 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Duckie

AC...love your show...you are the most unbiased on CNN and we appreciate that!
    NO....Hillary should NOT step down...let the rest of America vote and by that time we will know more about Obama and what's in his closet.
    Go Hillary Go!!

March 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  5. SDOHIO

There is no reason for Sen. Clinton to quit. We need to include MI and FL in the process if democrats want to win in Nov.

March 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Julia, FORT WORTH, TEXAS

Maybe it is a tad premature for Clinton to drop out right now...I mean if she wins PA then she will dubbed the "comeback kid" again...
    I am a democrat, but my vote went for Sen. Obama...as long as we get a democrat in the White House, and the election is not stolen again then I will be happy.
    We do not want a recap of the 2000 election...

March 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  7. rosie

Disenfranchising voters in Michigan? Obama? Is this the politics of "change we can believe in"? This man's arrogance is insulting!

March 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Saera El Paso, TX

kudos to you anderson
    and no, you aren't naive

it is up to the voters

at least you do a good job of just telling us the stories
    no opinions

March 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  9. EJ - Ohio

I'd give anything to hear Anderson talking about nipple rings. Woohoo!

March 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  10. AHM

We wouldn't have any of these voting problems if we got rid of the electoral college. Why do we even need it anymore? Shouldn't it be one person, one vote. Why do we need delegates or superdelegates if we can just go with the popular vote?

March 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  11. SB in Iowa

Kathleen in NC - ALL states matter, you are right. The positive aspect of the continued race for the democratic candidate that everyone seems to overlook is that now, all the states get to have a say in who the nominee is.

March 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  12. james

About the wal-mart and disabled lady- if her son died in iraq, what happened with the military helping her with health care. I think that if they do not want to pay the lady for pain and suffering dealing with the situation and mental heartache over the bills they should have -anti -walmart commercials for a month....people should shop somewhere else for a few weeks and see how they like that, i saw a guy working at wal-mart the other day in a electronic wheelchair moving a pallet of soil with about 50 bags on it with his wheelchair he has... wal-mart treats disabled employees bad.

March 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  13. carrie

Boy that Obama campaig just keeps whining, what are they so affraid of? They didn't want a re-vote in Michigan, now I guess they think no other state should weigh in. That's not the new politics I'm interested in–it's disenfranchisement. I think they want Clinton to quit because of the ever widening Rev Wright scandal and Obamas shifting positions about what he heard, knew, can or can't do regarding his pastors racist & un-patriotic rants. Who is really stealing the nomination?

March 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  14. April in Texas

James Carville says Obama needs to win well if im not mistaken Obama won the last state Mississippi..

March 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  15. Fay, CA

I'd like to think that there are a few open-minded people in PA–the govenor's remarks about how many whites won't vote for a black candidate certainly doesn't leave the best impression of the state.

March 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  16. priscilla

why do people think that whites won't vote for a black candidate? but won't think that blacks won't vote for a white candidate? let me tell you all if you think you can have it both ways you are dreaming? blacks will not vote if they think that they are being cheated. same with whites and guess who suffers . we all do. because guess what, we will have a third term of Bush

March 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Chuck in Alabama

Well put Anderson. Your impartiality is exactly why I watch the show.

March 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  18. Phil, Boston, MA

Thanks for pursuing the question about what would make a "big" win for Clinton in PA. I am going to assume that a single digit win by Clinton would be a hollow victory, a 20% victory a "blow out," and a victory in the teens fair to middlin'.

What I don't understand is why it seems to be assumed that if Clinton does better than Obama among blue-collar whites, Obama would not do well with that group in a two-person race against McCain? The same question could be asked in reverse about some constituency that Obama typically is strong with.

March 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Diane N.

I understand Walmart wants to stick to their contract, but in this case it's completely absurd. If she where able to go back to work and healthy from the treatment she obtained, then certainly, however, this woman is very nearly an invalid due to her injuries. Walmart is being absolutely rediculous on the issue.

March 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Deepali, CT

Don't Florida and Michigan make up nearly 10% of the democrats in the country? I think that Sen. Obama isn't enthusiastic because he knows he won't win and it will further the process or the primary.

March 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Jeff in Detroit

How can Hillary possibly think that the earlier primary results should count when her opponents weren't on the ballot and didn't campaign?

March 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Betsy

if Hillary does not leave the race now she is gonna ruin it for the democrat party. And really folks do we do not need republicans for another 4 years.

March 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  23. Paolo

Hi Anderson,

I believe these Obama backers have a point. From a practical perspective, Hillary Clinton would have to consider quitting because a) it is mathematically very difficult to beat her and b) the parties need to build-up their case against John McCain. I'm betting North Carolina will be the point when she will drop out because a loss there even by a point or two will make it mathematically impossible for her to catch-up.

In your opinion, at what point does Hillary Clinton become like Mike Huckabee was to John McCain after super Tuesday?

March 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  24. Steve

Hillary should be able to stay in as long as she feels the need to honour the masses but not long enough to destroy the party. The bean counters that calculate these stats are usually right within little error, but again usually right.

March 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  25. Anderson Cooper

that term "the media" just seems so silly to me. It is so broad its almost meaningless. I'm sure some opinion writers want the primary season over.. im sure some anchors dont. Personally, i don't think its a reporters job to tell the country when something should or should not end. That's up to voters, candidates, and the parties to decide. We are just supposed to cover what's going on, not try to shape it. I know, im either old fashioned, or naive.

March 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  26. Mark

Dear Anderson, I am sadden by the caucus forum for choosing delegates. Look at the caucus in Texas which Hillary won by 5% and Obama will come out with many more delegates.

In the early twentieth century there was a movement to give more power to citizens in the selection of candidates for the party's nomination. The primary election developed from this reform movement. "

I think that the DNC should have all states involved in the "reform movement" that has been on-going since early 1900's. Some states are still not in the reform – smaller states.

March 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  27. Karoline, Los Angeles, CA

The story on Walmart is horrible. People should email and write to Walmart if they want them to back off from this family and let them keep their settlement.

March 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  28. CJ in NM

First off, it is time for the african americans to stop conducting themselves as if they have some type of special place at the race table. Before one more BO supporter tacks on another comment about race, it would behoove them to remember that Native Americans were here first. Their rights and the injustices done to them must be dealt with FIRST! Name calling is weak and the mark of poor judgement. Considering BO's associations and the voracity of his supporters to discount every other ethnic group in this country is also a sign of just how narrow-minded the media and BO supporters have chosen to make this argument. Hispanics are now the largest minority group in this country. Funny how from other perspectives this whole "black white" issue can be quite insulting and anger others. It is also childish. Time for BO supporters to let it go and build a bridge.

March 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  29. JohnDell

I'm voting for Hillary and if she isn't the nominee then I go to McCain anything is better than that lying condecending Obama with his Rezko ties, racist pastor and lack of experience. He didnt even know canada has a PM and not a president c'mon the guys a dunce.

March 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  30. Greg Erie PA

I heard in your report that PA Sen. Bob Casey has given his support to Sen. Obama and that this would help Obama with white working class voters. I had to laugh. Bob Casey has never worked a day in his life. He lives off his fathers name. Getting elected from one office to another. We elected him to the U.S. Senate just to get him out of the state.

March 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Sandee

The talking heads do not know how many people might be now questioning their votes for Obama. Why should Hillary drop out now? More things might come to light to change peoples' minds...

March 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Krista

I had to laugh at the Rendell story. I know him and have worked for him and this is typical, he says what comes to his mind without a lot of thought at times. He is a great politician and he knows PA, so he is worth listening to.

March 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Brad, NYC

Hillary Clinton should not drop out of the race. Delegates can choose to vote any way they like regardless of how many delegates each candidate has (part of the DNC rules). Obama understands the DNC rules too. Case in point: he's not pushing for a revote in Florida and Michigan because they broke DNC rules.

March 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  34. manuela

Stop this nonsense of pressuring Senator Clinton to drop from the race. This is a race (for the first time in a long time), showing that the democratic party is alive. Let this vigorous, heated, race go on. Clinton or Obama will know when to drop out of the race. And when that happens, we will join forces and infuse the vigor of these two campaigns behind the nominee to beat McCain!!

March 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Tony, Madison, WI

I think Hillary should step down. The numbers indicate that there is no way Hillary is going to be able to pass Obama in the delegate count or the popular vote.

When I see Hillary, Barack and McCain out on the campaign trial, it is very clear that Obama is incredibly intelligent and poised. He is a candidate of the future where Hillary and McCain are candidates of the past.

March 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Martha

The race is not over yet, she should not quit. Shame on those that are calling for her to get out now.

March 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  37. rhenry101

This election is so important, and this country deserves all the scrutiny the media and the voters can give to these candidates. Let the debate continue. Voter turnout and enthusiasm has been phenomenal. But millions have not yet had the chance to participate. How arrogant are these handful of Democratic leaders to believe they have the right to decide when "enough" voices have been heard?

March 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Santiago/Kalamazoo, MI

Good Show.. Its refreshing to see a more balance show not only talking about how great Obama is. That is what the press should be. By the way... Hillary for president.

March 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Dawn T.-Pittsburgh, PA

Hey Anderson,
    I have lived in Pittsburgh for 8.5 years. I don't know the intent behind Gov. Rendel's comments; however, I will say I totally agree with him.
    I made the same prediction to my friends and family last year 🙂

Believe me! Pennsylvania, specifically Pittsburgh, has a problem in the area of race relations. Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.

March 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Cristin

I hope Clinton stays in the race, I want to vote for Clinton/ Obama, not Obama/ Clinton..... really at this point, they BOTH need each other
    p.s. of course I will vote for Obama if it comes to that, but I want to vote for her....

March 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  41. Kathryn

So, I guess Obama thinks the voters in the remaining states don't matter. I thought a demacracy was everyone had a say in their future. I think Obama has a bad attitude, is this how he would run the country as well, not good!!!

March 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Billi

Yes, the media loves "blood in the water"......Mark is right on target. Obama continues to gain favor from the media even when WE TELL YOU that you do this. You have so much power in this election and you use it.

March 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Lenny

Hillary Clinton should not step down. She has the right to continue her campaign, and has tremendous support. Furthermore, it is outrageous that the comments are made that Obama's campaign doesn't have "time" to plan a national strategy. I would argue that they don't know what to say!

If you remember, it was Hillary Clinton, in one of the early debates, that continually addressed Bush and the mess we're in in due to 7 years of his administration. Immediately, she was attacked that she is running a national campaign too early. The fact is, she knew months ago that it was important to address those national issues instead of bickering between Democrats.

How absurd an excuse of the Obama campaign that they don't have time. The facgt is – they are inexperienced and their candidate is not ready to be President of the US. Let's hope that never happens.

March 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  44. EJ - Ohio

Look, Rendell can say what he wants, but remember he is a sitting GOVERNOR. So we can criticize his comments as well.

I think many PA voters don't want to be lumped in the category that he was speaking about.

March 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Concerned American

Anderson, Please keep the pressure on Walmart. Our heart goes out to that family.

Boycott WalMart!

March 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  46. May be absent in November

So much focus is being placed on the candidates, their "friends" (though with friends like these who needs enemies), and bouncing around "getting out of the race" that no one is really going after how these candidates are going to pay for what they say they are going to do.

March 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Anne

The race isn't over, and the super delegates need to nominate someone who is electable. Obama needs to prove he can win some big states.

March 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  48. Gwen of NJ

I find it curious that the Penn. governor thinks he can speak for all white voters or anticipate how they will vote. If Senator Obama did not have support from white voters, he would not have made it this far. Some folks think Americans are such idiots and that they will believe anything they are told. How old is the Honorable Governor anyway? I am sad that he feels the need to make these racists comments. He probably has an inferiority complex. His comments reflect very poorly on Senator Clinton; I don't think she really thinks that way. I believe she is smarter than that.

March 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  49. JJR Georgia

I had pretty much stopped shopping at Wal Mart because of the way they treat their employees, low pay, little, if any benefits, less than 40 hours a week, etc...but this latest story...it is just the end for me. I will NEVER spend my money there again!!!

March 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Gail

What is wrong with all of you !

Get out of the race it is crazy let the people vote

March 28, 2008 at 10:22 pm |