March 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/28/08

Some breaking news, CNN has confirmed that the White House is talking about a massive new overhaul of how they regulate Wall Street. We'll start with that.Also, from the campaign trail, calls from Barack Obama supporters for Hillary Clinton to get out of the race.  Some of her senate colleagues have been very strong in their words, but she believes that she's got the best of all reasons to keep going.We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. JT

Hillary Clinton should drop out and maybe Obama will be nice enough to pick her as VP, I don't think she has a chance anymore. I'm just a kid now, but by next election I'll be 18, just old enough to vote, hopfully I'll be able to vote for Obama.

March 28, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  2. Chuck in Alabama

Anderson, Are all of these Obama "supporters" hoping to get a job in the Obama administration?

March 28, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Sebastien - Mystic, Connecticut

The media definetly doesn't want this to end. Like Anderson said, their ratings are huge in this right now, bringning in people who usually don't follow politics at all.

March 28, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Concerned American

Any Calls to Quit will only make Hillary supportors to Vote for Mr. McCain who has the Leadership & experience , may not be best in Economics or External affairs, He has no personal agenda like Bush.

If No Hillary, then all Hillary Voter will Vote for McCain. There is no way for Obama to Win, However he should not quit now, but let the Voters decide.

March 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  5. anthony wappner

It is very ridiculous that the media keeps scarring people, making them believe that Hillary should drop out or she will break up the party. She has not only spent the money, but she has invested a large amount of her time and her families time into this campaign. If nobody likes the competition, then why have primaries. We should have just all voted the same exact day instead of going through this exhausting process. If another candidate such as Edwards still going against Obama, they would probably saying the same exact things they are now. Hillary is the best and I believe she is going to take it just like she did Ohio and Texas where there are far more Obama people than Hillary.

March 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  6. Matt Telford

Party officials like Patrick Leahy should be ashamed of themselves. Hillary is a perfectly viable candidate, and she should not be pressured to drop out. These party leaders are not upholding democracy, and think that they hold more sway than we do (the constituents). I can't wait to vote for Hillary on May 6th because I know she has always stood up to the party big-wigs who focus more on media hype than the true political process.

March 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Kathleen, NC

Once again, BIG states matter – all of the rest of us don't. WOW

March 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  8. JohnDell

Why is CNN so biased against Hillary ever since super tuesday. I am about to turn CNN off forever with the trash talk they've been doing. It's ridiculous.

March 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  9. Very Concerned American

Govenor Randell is just saying it like it is.

When a pastor screams about our country and cruel words about Hillary nothing is said?

Not only has Obama not apologized to Americans for his connection with his church and his views, he continuesto support him.

I have always felt that Obama should apologize to all Americans for not mentioning his ties with Rezko and with his pastor much sooner.

March 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  10. Julia Torres

I sure hope that CNN shedding light on this poor woman & her family's struggle to win over Walmart helps her battle. This is a sad story, and hopefully when we get a new president these ridicoulous issues do not take place. This is like the big time companies like Bear Stearns getting their way.

March 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  11. Radu in Cambridge, MA

Why are people not talking more about the things that don't show up in national polls: the number of new people and young voters (that are not polled) that Obama could bring in that Sen. Clinton might not, and on the other side, the number of Republicans that might not bother to come out to vote for McCain, but might come out to vote against Sen. Clinton?

I think the number of people that wouldn't vote for an african-american would easily be trounced by new energized voters coming out for Obama.

March 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  12. rosie

If the media is giving Rev Wright a pass, then I believe Ed Rendell deserves the same. Besides, didn't you guys dig this up from some interview back in early Feb? Let's stay current.

March 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Gene Clark, OH

The Senators calling for Clinton's withdrawing from the primary should follow their own suggestion. They can't get the work of the Senate done. These Senators are just as responsible for the condition of the country as much as GWB. It's time for these Senators to resign. These Senators are jealous because they can't get elected President themselves. The selection process is the choice of the people and not the party leaders. Clintons staying in the primary is not hurting the Democratic Party, the Democratic congress has done that already.

March 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Gayle, Wisconsin

I'd like to add a comment regarding the Wal-Mart piece. In an auto liability case, it is normal for other health insurers to be reimbursed once the liability case is settled. It is not Wal-Mart's responsibility to cover injuries sustained in an auto accident. Apparently the family's lawyer did not explain that to them, but that doesn't mean they have a right to keep the entire settlement. It's not okay to spend someone else's money just because they have a lot and you need more.

March 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  15. Yvonne

A 5th Grader could figure it out. If Candidate 'A' has won 30 States and Candidate 'B' has won 16 states and Candidate 'A' is leading in pledged delegates and the popular vote, who is the winner? Let's wrap this race up I have things to do.

March 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  16. Stacy

Hm. Did Randi's story bury the lede? I think that phone call from Obama is pretty interesting. Have we ever heard him declare he was going to be the nominee like that?

March 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  17. Bayo,Brooklyn Park, MN

Why should Hillary drop out? This race is not for dog catcher but for the highest office of the land. Do teams quit playing when they are 12 points down in the second half? I would like to see a coach tell his/her team that all is lost and just quit playing. Anything can happen...stay tuned

March 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  18. SB in Iowa

People were not so hostile toward Huckabee when he continued in the Republican race when there was absolutely zero chance he could win. Sure, the press asked him why he was still in the race, but it was almost with a sense of admiration, and they would let him explain his "don't quit" attitude.
    As a woman, the calls by Obama supporters for Clinton to quit just do not resonate well with me. She is a viable candidate. People have continued to come out in record numbers for primaries, and she has won almost as many votes as Obama. (That's without Florida). To me, it sounds like men telling a woman what she can't do.

March 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  19. Kelly Zheng

Good Evening Anderson. I think it is unfair for Hillary to step down, and she will be a good president.

March 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  20. Euphemmie

Anderson,

Why is the media avoiding the real words of Rev. Wright. Showing on youtube right now is the real speech from Rev. Wright (under FOX LIES!). I doubt if many people know that he was quoting a white ambassador. The media, including you showed comments from youtube over and over, for at least two weeks. However, now that the correct and inspiring words of Rev. Wrights are on youtube, no one's talking about Rev. Wright any more.

Gov. Ed Rendell is a classic example of what Senator Obama was talking about in his speech.

March 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  21. Doug Hayman

Hillary should stay in and say some big things to America and the world. She may have to leave the race at some point, but right now this is the best reality show in town. We need more of it, not less.

March 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  22. Campbell

My question is.... if the shoe was on the other foot and Hillary Clinton had all Obama's "stats" (most states, most pledged delegates, the popular vote along with most fundraising) wouldn't he have ALREADY been forced out by "the Party" and "the Clintons" ?

March 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Deepali, CT

I don't think that Hillary should even think about quitting right now. There is plenty of time for the party to become united. She will gain momentum in PA which is close some of the gap with the popular vote.
    Walmart is rather awful, for going after this poor woman. It is another example of how materialist some companies are!
    Anderson which flowers did you end up giving Candy?

March 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Neil Sharpe

What can anybody do with a monster like Wall Street? It's been left unregulated for so long that it's impossible to start now. Wall Street is in need of a strong dose of reality to correct itself from years of excessive greed. The Fed has tried and, in my opinion, failed to prop it up with a series of misguided rate cuts and bailouts. Have mortgage rates fallen or has Wall Street risen because of all this hard work and wasted taxpayers money? Not at all so what can the Bush administration hope to do now. Gravity has finally hit Wall Street and greed will have to take a second place to reason for a while longer yet. Regards.

March 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  25. janice

I am sick of Obama's tactics – if he keeps repeating a lie loud enough it doesn't make it true – First, he only has more delegates and popular vote by ignoring/excluding Florida and Michigan.... Second, he has gotten quite a buy from you the press. Imagine if I described Barack as "a typical black man" – obviously a racist statement – but when Barack describes his grandmother as "a typical white person" no one says a word. I am offended by his racism, as well as his lies regarding his initial answers re his pastor and his staff comments in Canada and his phoniness – he does well in caucuses because his supporters just keep shouting the same lies so loud that they drown out the truth. I am one of those democrats that WILL note for McCain if Obama gets the nomination.

March 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  26. J

I am not sure why people are asking Hillary to quit her campaign. She has all the right to be in this race and we all should respect it.

J

March 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  27. georgy

Here they go again. Obama campaign is trying to play the race card again. Rendell didn't say anything wrong. He is just stating the truth. Obama won't get the white vote in PA. More and more whites are turned off by his pastor. They are turned off by the reverse racism that many blacks are using.

March 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Aric, California

Hi Anderson,

Love the show.

As a Democrat from California, I was so excited when these primaries began because I thought either candidate would be an great choice. I have to say Hillary has completely lost me. It's not only that she seems to think the only way she can win is to tear down Barack Obama, she does it in a very obvious and annoying way. She seems very childish to me.

March 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

I don't think that Rendell's comments were not racial, I think that it was honest. There are many people who still have racist feelings in the United States. If we are going to talk about racism I think that we should be talking about Rev. Wright's comments.

March 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Kathy, Chicago

Gov. Rendell is like most people I know in Pa. He calls it like he sees it. He doesn't tip-toe around the issues.

March 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Anderson Cooper

saw a comment saying they wanted to know what constitues a big win in penn.... im about to talk to our panel about that..

March 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  32. janet

If OBAMA can talk about "typical white people," then Rendell should be able to talk about the "white vote." The Obama campaign seems to be the only ones that can use the terms "black" or "white," and not get critisized.

March 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Betsy

superdelegates should stand behind the people and the people have said Barack is the person to straighten out the mess Bush has made.

March 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Becca

How many super delegates would Hillary gain if she did win Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Indiana? Enough to beat out Obama's vote count?

March 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Debra S

Phil, I think Hillary needs to win by at least 15-20% for it to be considered big. She needs to win at least 20% in PA for a chance to take over in the popular vote

March 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  36. june

Yes, boycott WalMart!!!
    Governor Rendell is a racist and is contributing to the division in this country. Shame on Him!

March 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  37. Jackie Juno Beach florida

Anderson,
    Love your show and always great to hear Candy.

I am outraged that Obama nixed the re-vote in Michigan. Michigan is key to winning in November, and as a Florida voter I am sure this will come back in a bad way for the party.

Re-vote in Michigan. Obama doesn't rule!!

March 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  38. Bonnie

Give me a break–the gov was not being racist!!

March 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  39. chuks

Clinton has to drop out now since its clear that she cant win the nomination

March 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  40. Chuck in Alabama

Why is it that if a white person even mentions anything negative about Obama, he's a racist? Yes, some white people are not ready to vote for a black man anymore than some are not ready to vote for a woman.

March 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Christine Kielb

As an Obama supporter, I think Leahy may have made a mistake in counting Hillary out and suggesting she should quit. This may generate a backlash among PA voters, who don't want to be counted out, and perhaps also a sympathy vote for Hillary, in response to what voters may perceive as Obama supporters "ganging up" on her.

March 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Natalie

What does it say about a candidate who polls almost equal with another candidate who is told they should drop put and there is no way the can win the nomination. I think someone should start letting everyone know that not only one candidate has huge supporters that will stay home to vote if their candidate isnt the nominee.

March 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Meegan

Why WONT Hillary drop out. Dont you know when you are beat? There is no way that she can win the nomination, and maybe she has a chance to be in Obama's cabinet. Geez! Get out while the gettin' is good!

March 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  44. Janaki

It is just SICK that Walmart would go that far too collect that money. This employee didn't do anything wrong and all she did was work hard for Walmart. Now, they are trying to JACK money from a hospitalized women. THIS IS JUST SICK AND I WILL NEVER SHOP AT WALMART AGAIN!!!!

March 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  45. paul springfield ma.

wal-mart is one store I don't shop at ,and proud of it , wal -mart is not good for America.

March 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  46. emily

did i miss the story about sen. casey's endorsement of sen obama? isnt that a bigger story than the "will she or won't she" story that has been running since feb.?

March 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Debbie, Louisiana

I don't know the details of the Walmart story, but I've been convinced for quite some time that Walmart is the "bunch of cheap crap in one place" equivalent of Satan- and now here's more evidence of that. Sam Walton is probably turning over in his grave.

March 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Troy Kendal

The people trust Hillary to coninue her campaigne and win it.

March 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  49. EJ - Ohio

"And, public financing is a must, the amount of money just for the primary is outrageous. I keep thinking how all that money could be better spent."

I could help a lot of people with that money - and no, not just myself. I could do wonders – but oh well. Money always falls into the wrong hands. I guess that is the way of the world.

March 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Don Koons

Hillary has done a lot for NYS. She has assisted in keeping DFAS Rome open and triple the workforce. She has a great track record.

March 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |