March 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/28/08

Some breaking news, CNN has confirmed that the White House is talking about a massive new overhaul of how they regulate Wall Street. We'll start with that.Also, from the campaign trail, calls from Barack Obama supporters for Hillary Clinton to get out of the race.  Some of her senate colleagues have been very strong in their words, but she believes that she's got the best of all reasons to keep going.We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Christina From Pittsburgh, PA

Notice that Senator Patrick Leahy is from Vermont. We know about how liberal Vermont is and how Leahy has been a Major backer of Obama even before Obama took the delegate lead. Leahy supported Obama even when Hillary was in the delegate and popular vote lead.

The RULES are the RULES and the Rules state that superdelegates have the independence to vote for who ever they want.

OBama supporters – PLEASE RESPECT THE RULES of the CONTEST. These rules were in place before the contest began.

March 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  2. jr

i don't think Sen. Clinton should quit. give other states chance to vote. GO CLINTON GO! FIGHT CLINTON FIGHT!

March 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  3. Juli in Arkansas

Anderson-

Neither Clinton or Obama can win without the "super" delegates. The way this is being framed with the Obama supporters, and the news keeping it alive...is really crazy.

She is behind, yes.....but he cant win either without the superdelegates, and with the popular vote so close, its only common sense to let the popular vote run its course.

March 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  4. janet

What kind of example would it be to our kids to quit when you think you might not win? I know I teach my children to never give up. I don't want to raise a bunch of quitters. I want Hillary to stay in it until there is a winner. You never know, it might be her.

March 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  5. Debra S

I agree Mona, we do not know if Hillary will win by 50,000 in PA 500,000 in PA or maybe she may lose. The democratic leaders need to stay out of this at least until the end of the primaries

March 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  6. Sebastien - Mystic, Connecticut

Walmart – step up to the plate and give it back to them from their profits. "What are they thinking"

March 28, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  7. Very Concerned American

March 28 2008
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    To ask Senator Clinton to step down is not fair for America.
    Why isn’t she asking Senator Obama to step down.
    This is almost as silly as not having Michigan and Florida not seated.
    I also think that would have voted differently if they knew more about Obama and his ties with his pastor.
    Many people in my community want their money back because they feel as if they were misled by him.
    He has lied to them about his father being a Muslim, misled them about his Christian upbringing and has not discussed his real connections with Rezko from Chicago.
    If they knew then what they know now they certainly would not have supported him. They actually said that they were embarrassed for Obama and what he stands for.
    My community will also not vote for Obama but for McCain.

March 28, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  8. Mary

I find it curious that all these white men are closing ranks against Clinton at a very vulnerable time for Obama who is still trying to explain away his racist associations. My sense is they are pressuring her so that Obama doesn't have to keep defending his defenseless racist associations and dividing the party. Obama is the one who should get out, not Clinton. And by the way, saw Anderson Cooper on Leno last night and his snickering about Clinton's Bosnia blunder while making stroking comments about Obama – just shows you what his bias is. Another white male with too much power and influence.

March 28, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Patt

I hope that this primary has showed us we need CHANGE. We should demand a national primary where all states vote for all candidates on the same day. And, public financing is a must, the amount of money just for the primary is outrageous. I keep thinking how all that money could be better spent.

March 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Chuck in Alabama

ALL votes counted, Clinton is down less than 1%. In the Electoral College she is ahead 219 to 202. 10 states still need to weigh in. If the DNC didn't want primaries/caucuses to take place after March, maybe they should have a rule to that effect.

March 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  11. Jeannette Shamong, NJ

I'm worried that Clinton may want to make history bad enough and get her foot in the door, so to speak, that she would be willing to be John McCain's running mate.

March 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  12. Tony, Madison, WI

Man! Hillary is sure looking desperate. I hope Obama makes a better showing in Pennsylvania then what the pundits are saying.

March 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  13. nazy

to tell her to get out is ludachris.....
    its time to tell obama to get out.

March 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  14. ericacnn

Happy Friday, everyone! Never a dull moment on the trail ...

March 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  15. mona

I think we have to wait for PA, NC and Indiana before asking HRC to step down

March 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  16. nazy

yes debra, he should be ashamed of himself.

March 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Phil, Boston, MA

Hi, Anderson and Erica,

Could someone define what would constitute a "BIG" win for Hillary Clinton in Pennsylvania? 5%? 10% 15%? ?? Thanks!

March 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  18. EJ - Ohio

"I enjoy your show a great deal, but what really bothers me, is the fact that your political correspondents always imply that white-male blur collar workers are prejudice or racists"

Paul - you should have a talk with Governor Rendell. He's the one who just implied a significant number of whites (blue collar, conservative, etc) in his state would never vote for Obama specifically because he is black.

What a smart thing for a governor to say!

March 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Patty

the senators calling for HC to quit, should be quiet and let the voters speak...who do they think they are, why do they think they know more than the American voters? how arrogant.

March 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Sebastien - Mystic, Connecticut

Candy is very good at giving an objectionable opinion (especially concerning the Dems.)

March 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  21. Billi

How arrogant of the Obama campaign to tell Senator Clinton to quite when 22% of the voters want OBAMA TO QUIT!!!! This is well timed right before Senator Clinton's in Pennsylvania. If Obama has the votes to win, show us. He doesn't. The Obama campaign stopped the votes in Michigan and now he wants to just stop the votes in the last primaries! His surrogates are out there blathering and looking like school boys calling names and Obama is out there looking "presidential" on the View?????

March 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Betty-IN.

Of course Obama & his supporters would like for Hillary to get out of the race now before any more of Obamas past bad jugements are made public. I'm betting there is more of Wright & more that Obama would like to keep very private. More bad judgment's on Obama's part will only make some of his "Big" supporters look even more of a fool than they already do. Hillary is Tough & Strong, not afraid to fight for what the working people need. Most of us know she was the brains behind Bill Clinton, most of us did pretty well when he was in office.She's not out by along shot!!

March 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  23. Mark

Those who are trying to force Hillary OUT of the race have been supporters of Obama for quite some time now.

So please everyone be careful of who is actually saying for Hillary to get out of the call.

March 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Raphael

Why is Obama expected to stumble...? Why Hillary is not expected to stumble....? It seems that there exists a double standared that a stumble for hillary is to excused but not for Obama...?

March 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  25. nazy

good evening AC.
    yes she will be a better president then her father? that is a good news. imagine how good we had it wen Mr. Clinton was our presiden, better then that would be gold for americans.....

March 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Very Concerned American

To ask Senator Clinton to step down is not fair for America.
    Why isn't she asking Senator Obama to step down.

This is almost as silly as not having Michigan and Florida not seated.

He has lied to them about his father being a Muslim, speaks about his Christian upbringing and his real connections with Rezko from Chicago.

My community will also not vote for Obama but for McCain.

March 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Elsa Texas

Anderson, Hillary is going to win PA and the following States and their votes count. You're doing a good job.

March 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  28. Debra S

Senator Leahy should be ashamed of himself!!

March 28, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Ramone Diaz

Hello Anderson and Erica. Greetings from the Caribbean!
    Is there a plot from Obama suporters to make Hillary quits the race?
    What is Obama afraid of??
    Ramone

March 28, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Lenore

Why is everyone in such a hurry to get Hillary out? Is Obama afraid of more of his unknown skeletons coming out before he is crowned by the media and the elite?

March 28, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Sebastien - Mystic, Connecticut

Bill was a good president. I also think she will be an even better president.

March 28, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  32. KK

The BIGGIES in Dem. Party don't want Clinton strongarms around those Super Delegates. Clinton threatned Nancy – Bad Move!

The Clintons are trying to destroy Obama and like Lou Dobbs says when you are down use the race card!

Obama will win!

Boycott WalMart!

March 28, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  33. paul springfield ma.

Hi Anderson , I enjoy your show a great deal, but what really bothers me, is the fact that your political correspondents always imply that white-male blur collar workers are prejudice or racists, because their not for Senator Obama. (at least in my view), I know there are plenty of these type of people out there, but there are plenty of us who are not. I am a white-male blue collar, and I voted for Obama and I feel he will make a wonderful President. Keep doing a great job on your show.

March 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Concerned American

This is the Washington Style Politics, calling for quit. Let the voters decide.

March 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Brent, Roseville CA

I am certainly not an HRC supporter (I voted for Romney) but she should stay in the race until she feels she no longer has a chance to win the race. I decry all of the talk-radio people (i.e. RUSH) for calling on Republicans to throw their vote to one candidate or the other just to prolong the race.

March 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Kathy, Chicago

Hi AC! I think it would be wonderful if the Jr. Senator would gracefully step down.

March 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Don Koons

I would support either Clinton or Obama. It would be great if they were on the same ticket in November. Until then, She should continue- it's too close of a race.

March 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  38. chanel

i don't think its a good time for Hillary to drop out her supporters would be very bitter and would mean trouble for the general

March 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  39. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

Hilary isn't far enough behind that she should have to quit. Besides why should she do what Obama supporters tell her to do???

March 28, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Jacob

Anderson, Why should Hillary drop out of the race. It was reported on CNN that Bill Clintons stated that Hilary Clinton will have the lead in delegate and popular count in primary states. Anderson, I feel that A Caucus favors:

– Those are single and have 2-4 hours of time.
    – The young

A Caucus would be bias against:

– The seniors
    – Working wifes who are at home with kids
    – Those who work in the evening

I understand why Obama does better when a Caucus is held. In Washington State, Obama won the Caucus by a large margin but Obama just barely won the primary. In Texas Obama LOST the primary by 4% points but slightly won the Caucus.

IT IS **NOT** the "Will of the People" for Hillary to win 4% more of the popular vote in Texas bu Obama wins more delegates in Texas. THIS IS UNFAIR - AND - DOESN"T Represent the Will Of the People.

I suspect that Hillary would have won some of those small red states had their been primaries instead of caucus so that her older seniors and middle class working mothers could vote. Spending 2 hours at a caucus isn't the way to run an election!!!!

March 28, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  41. delihla

hello everyone

March 28, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  42. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I don't think Hillary should quit. If the Dems are so happy with either candidate, why would she.

March 28, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  43. Judy, New York

I haven't heard anyone point out today that Hillary can't count. 22 + 22 + 62 does not equal 100%. She needs to recount before Florida and Michigan get recounted.

March 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  44. Stacy

Forgive me if I laugh when I hear this administration talk about regulation.

March 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  45. Kathleen, NC

I think that at this point in the elections, for individuals who live in states that vote late, it will be really nice to actually have an impactful vote in a primary. Typically, the nominee is established by this point in the election and those of us who live in the late voting states don’t have a chance to have our voice heard; we end up being stuck with the choices of others. I do think that the negative is not at all what most remaining voters want to hear. We want to hear about important issues: jobs, economy, jobs, economy, education, taxes, health care, environmental protection plans….

March 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  46. Sebastien - Mystic, Connecticut

I don't think this should fall under the Federal Reserve. Alan Greenspan, Ben Bernanke give me a break. Should be a new department.

March 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  47. Yvonne

It's time to fold up the pantsuits and go home.

March 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  48. Sebastien Branno - Mystic, Connecticut

Hello everyone. Love when Candy is on. Anderson was good on Leno last night.

March 28, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

Hi Anderson!!! Hi Erica!!! Sounds like a good program tonite.

March 28, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Brent, Roseville CA

Happy Friday AC and Erica! Looking forward to a great show.

March 28, 2008 at 10:00 pm |