March 28th, 2008

Erica Cam: Behind the scenes

ERICA CAM

What’s on tap for 360° tonight? Check out Erica Hill's web-only preview, and find what the 360° staff has in store for tonight.

Filed under: Behind The Scenes • Erica Hill
  1. EJ - Ohio

I just wish that the Maupin family didn't have to suffer in such a way the past 4 years. I wish that the military could've found his remains sooner although I know they tried their best. This family really held out so much hope – To even watch the segments on the local news sometimes was heartbreaking. After a while I could not watch them suffer on the news like that.

I can't even imagine that pain they have suffered. There was a video that insurgents claimed was Maupin getting shot – maybe 2 years ago ? – and still the family never could receive anything confirming it. They held out so much hope and I know many people were worried that they were being too optimistic.

Just very sad and I hope that you can report on this on Monday.

March 30, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  2. EJ - Ohio

Actually, don't just do a 'quick mention' – do a longer tribute to Sgt. Matt Maupin. He deserves that.

March 30, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  3. EJ - Ohio

Please do a quick mention tomorrow of the discovery of the remains of Sgt. Matt Maupin who has been missing almost 4 years in Iraq. His family is so devastated and many in Ohio and around the nation are thinking about them tonight. Although a great number of residents here presumed that he died, we never can imagine how hard it is for a family to get that call or that visit confirming the worst news. My deepest condolences to the Maupin family!

March 30, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  4. Roberta L. Klein

Anderson,

Wonder if you have read the message that Christopher Hitchins has written on 3/24/2008, Released at 12:09 PM ET. Please read it
    it goes to the heart of Obama "Judgement".

R

March 30, 2008 at 4:46 pm |
  5. Warren L. Kurtze

IT IS NOT ABOUT RACE

In our society we have surrender to the race card so as to avoid the in-depth issues. In the case of Obama it is not about race, although that race card is being played. The issues are about:

A presidential candidate who has and is providing financial, emotional and political contributions to an organization that dams America (his church).

A presidential candidate who refuses to wear the emblem of the American flag.

A presidential candidate who refused to place his hand over his heart during the national anthem.

A presidential candidate who associated with those who attempted to bomb our American interests within our own country.

A presidential candidate whose wife for the first time loves this country and badgers college students on race issues.

Come – On – Guys, report the real issues and stop dancing around the superficial issue of race.

Warren L. Kurtze
    719-942-4577

March 30, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  6. george mansour

My family have been loyal Walmart abd Sam's customer's ever since they opened. After hearing this story, we will not spend another penny with them. This is just another example of evil company greed with total disregard for humanity.

A former customer

March 30, 2008 at 10:24 am |
  7. Joan Caruso RN

Thank you for your continuing coverage regarding the 'Shanks'.
    As a Nurse, I know what Debbie endures every day of her life.
    And I know what Mr. Shanks is feeling too.
    In the blink of an Eye, he's lost his Wife & Son.

Should Walmart do the 'RIGHT THING', it will only be because of the Human response to this travesty. But they've clearly shown that without your coverage & the response generated because of it, they would not have modified their initial decision.

Walmart has always been the 'CHEAPEST' place to shop, and now they've finally proven it !

Thank you for your outstanding coverage.

Sincerely,
    Joan Caruso RN

March 29, 2008 at 7:23 pm |
  8. Denos Christofi

None of my comments get posted though I use proper language in all of my posts. The only reason that I can think of is that I do not like Anderson Cooper's bias and prejudice against Clinton and have been vocal about it. I did not know that you only seek praises in your blogs. A bit of criticism may help you become better reporters.

March 29, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  9. Denos Christofi

40% of americans are independent voters. We really do not care whether the democratic or republican party will win in November but rather who will be our next president who can get us out of this mess. Calling the democratic race to end so they are it does not hurt its chances to win in November is absurd. Last I checked, we are not voting parties but a single candidate who will be the next president. Would you please cater a bit to the independent voters who are the majority and tend to decide who the next president will be.

March 29, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  10. Denos Christofi

Erica, would you please address the Michigan and Florida fiasco properly. Who gives the right to DNC and Obama to decide that the people of Florida and Michigan do not count. Do they think that anyone from these states would stand for the fiasco and not reciprocate by staying home in November. Would someone please talk about this on the news.

March 29, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  11. Ron C Fort Wayne, IN

In regards to Walmart's decision to sue for medical expense reimbursement, "The Rainman" would say "Walmart sucks!"

March 29, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  12. Robert, Troy, Virginia

NONE OF THE ABOVE
    In this Presidental Election can you have this printed on all the ballots. I am not happy with any of the Candidates.

Robert

March 29, 2008 at 1:31 pm |
  13. Michelle ,Fonthill ,Ontrario,Canada

Hi, Erica. I Love the behind the scenes cam and
    you being on the show is great. I think AC is the best!

From a loyal beat 360 player in canada

Michelle D.

March 29, 2008 at 1:19 pm |
  14. KAREE - Wyoming

I hope Erica and Anderson will address Puerto Rican Gov Acevedo scandal – A super Delegate for the dems who has pledged support for O-Bama – He and his group of Philadelpia area businesmen have been indicted on 19 counts in a campaign finance probe, including conspiracy to Violate U.S, campaign federal laws and giving false testimony to the FBI – I know most of this is about his own run for gov. but it would be interesting how he connects to Obama on campaign donations.

Fineally thanks to Anderson we are able to figure out why thier will be no re-vote in Michn (Fla was not hard to figure- This was a Republican straegy to stop dems from having thier votes count) Now we have these two Mich senators ( Buzz Thomas & Tupock Hunters) both African – Americans leading the charge to stop mich votes and having the gall to tell Anderson that they did not need a vote from the other legislators because they all agreed with them. This smells to high heaven since they are both endorsing O-bama – I have to wonder if O-Bama is not part of this since he and he alone chose to take his name off the ballot and why he would not consider any resolution as he knew his two buddies would stop the re-do , talk about dirty politics , now Dean wants a nominee before the convention and then he will see about seating Fla & Mich, How fair is this if O-Bama get the nomination – All the votes for Hillary in Fla & Mich would be for nothing – no wonder so many Hillary supporters will either stay home or vote for McBush ( including myself)

I only hope the Super-delegates see thru this scheme – O-bama knows full that if Mich & Fla votes counted he would not be ahead in pledged delagates or popular vote and that is what him and his buddies (Buzz, tupock & Casey) have accomplished.

We will see if Kennedy, Kerry, Richardson ,Casey, etc go with the will of the people in thier states (which Hillary won) fat chance!!! So let the Super-delegates do thier job – Who is the most electible and can beat McBush in the GE – Stay in the election Hillary all the way to the convention – you might get a fair shake!!! If this tears the dems apart so be it , the DNC caused this mess, especially Dean who refused to at least seat half the delegates like the Republican party did – You can always run in 2012 as a independent – In summation the popular vote means nothing as Al Gore had the popular vote in 2000 and the election was decided by the Supreme Court so what is the difference??

March 29, 2008 at 1:19 pm |
  15. Minister Ed Daniels

Ms. Hill, It concerns me that some female anchors, etc. are trying to look more sexy and provocative. They seem to forget being respectful.
    Lady likes should remind and encourage others. Question, Is it possible that Pres. Bush is misleading America w.r.t. Al Qaeda and
    Bin Laden who seems to keep popping up at just the right time?

March 29, 2008 at 12:05 pm |
  16. Pipeline Pete

Greetings....As far as the banking crises goes, one has to wonder why nobody puts any emphasis on why huge, filthy-rich, international corporations are forced into hiding terms of loans in small print & a jargon only a CPA could understand in an attrmpt to bamboozle stupid, innocent customers like cheap, side-show, carnival hustlers with the only motive being insatiable corporate greed. By the time it's all over, theit protit margins will take a tumble also. Greedy, greedy, greedy.......Pipeline Pete, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Thailand

March 29, 2008 at 5:37 am |
  17. John

Hello Erica
    I just wanted to say that it is atravesty that WalMart is doing what it is. But the insurance industry is one that has been allowed to do what they want at will& at the American consumers expense. For what thee almighty dollar.!!!
    These big corporations all think they are untouchable. Well if we as the consumers who make them what they are,we can also take them off there high&mighty pedestal.!!!
    I don't know about your viewers but in my neighborhood there are grocery stores,clothing stores,automotive stores,hardware stores etc.
    that I will be patronizing now.!!! IF the American consumer would only stand teogether the WalMarts of this country will never do this again.!!
    Thank you for leting me sound off.

March 29, 2008 at 3:46 am |
  18. W.M

I have an idea of solving the problem for Michigan and Florida. Perhaps if Hillary agrees to make her tax statements and contributions to the Clinton Library public immediately,maybe a re-do vote would be possible. Why is she procrastinating? What is she and Bill hiding? It has already been revealed that she is a notorious liar. The words she spoke about Bosnia, further proves how dishonest she is. Why has this suddenly died down? Remember those were her words, not Jerimiah Wright's words.

March 29, 2008 at 2:36 am |
  19. David Caputo

This is a letter I sent to Wal Mart CEO Lee Scott after seeing your story.

------

Dear Mr. Scott, Wal-Mart CEO,

Don't do it.

Don't execute the collection of Mrs. Shanks' $270,000 trust fund that keeps her brain-damaged self alive and cared for in a nursing home. She was a covered employee when she suffered her tragic brain injury in that car accident. Now your lawyers say they're days away from seizing all her money. Don't, I repeat, DON'T DO IT.

As a matter of fact, you'd better round up a big pile of money from all your cronies now because y'all in deep PR Doo Doo. Wal-Mart's name is worse than MUD. You know it. Anderson Cooper's done you in, and you deserve every bit of it.

Gotta teach you idiots that there are some lines you just don't cross. The math doesn't work out. Woulda just been cheaper to skip going after the money. Really now. It's gonna be much more expensive now. How does that help keep your prices low?

Maybe they should just fire you, Mr. CEO, and get somebody else. 'Cause the way I see it, if your company's health plan has a case before the Supreme Court of the USA and you're the head man and you don't know about it, you're done. On the other hand, if you did know about this case and you didn't stop it in its tracks, you're an idiot and should be done. Your company's reputation is SOOO important that you can't be a very good manager if you've let this fiasco slip out of control.

Either way, you should probably do the Board a favor and submit your resignation soon. Unless somehow you can make turd smell like a rose by quickly and publicly apologizing and offering the Shanks a substantial settlement for their ordeal of fighting you all in court while caring for their brain-damaged mother/wife and dealing with the death of their brother/son in Iraq. The sickest part is, she no longer has any short term memory, so every time she asks for her son and has to be told that he died in Iraq, it's like hearing it for the first time.

What part of that not being a good idea to further brutalize do you not understand?

I don't understand how you can think you're doing your job allowing this to fester. You had $90 BILLION in sales LAST QUARTER. What part of this poor lady's $270,000 do you really need? Honestly.

Your move. Good luck, you'll need it now.

David Caputo
    Holyoke, MA

March 29, 2008 at 2:23 am |
  20. Rosemary

I am sorry that Anderson Cooper closed comments before I had a chance to say anything. In reading several comments, it appears that many, many people agree with me. Why should Hillary drop out? Just because Obama supporters and the media say so?

If the situation were reversed and Obama was a few delegates behind, what would the media say if Clinton supporters were calling for him to drop out? I know that they would probably be called racists and the media would be in an UPROAR as well as all of Obama's supporters.

March 29, 2008 at 1:16 am |
  21. Bettina Braisted

It's "funny" that the very people that need real change in this country, middle class and working poor, who need universal health care and some assurance that the gov't will go to bat on the subprime mortgage problem are voting for Hillary. She is the one who we feel can best bring about that change. Rich white folk and liberals voting for Obama it seems are looking for philosophical change. They will manage just fine regardless of who wins the White House or if Obama fails to deliver the change he promises.
    If he's the real change agent why can't he convince the working middle class to vote for him?

Bettina Braisted, Madison, CT

March 29, 2008 at 12:29 am |
  22. neecee

Good morning from the United Arab Emirates. I begin my day watching 360. The discussions are lively, heated and informative. I appreciate that you strive to engage citizens representing all political parties.
    Anderson, good to see you are doing well.

March 29, 2008 at 12:28 am |
  23. Mathe

Anderson.
    Politicians and reporters are pushing for Hillary to step down. They are all wrong. Hillary is the most qualified candidate in the Democratic Party, and the best to face McCain for the election in November. Obama is not strong enough to win against McCain. We can not have another Bush in Washington.
    Also, Florida and Michigan must be counted.

March 29, 2008 at 12:15 am |
  24. Diane

Where is Walmart'sgenerosity that they boldly brag about. Community service that they happily (we know they are not happy, and now they certainly aren't smiling!) pretend to participate in. This sham should not surprise any of us....

I wish that K-Mart and their corp. executives, along with Martha Stewart would step in and help Debbie Shank, to show what kind of a company they are...

K-Mart could not buy that kind of advertisement – and should they find it in their hearts to help the Shank family – I sincerely hope the media will cover this for a very long time – giving each corporation what they deserve !

March 29, 2008 at 12:10 am |
  25. Patti

Anderson, I think you should reconsider your criticisms of Hillary Clinton. You have been rough on her! After the excitement you've created around Wal-Mart and Mrs. Shank I would think your position on a National Health Care Program would change. If Hillary had her way the Shank Family would not be living this nightmare. There would be National Health Care Insurance and Mrs Shank would be in good hands.

March 28, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  26. f lawson

I heard Hilliary Clinton say she was fortunate to have a well-grounded religious upbringing in the Methodist church. That may be so but she does not exhibit the traits of such a grounding as she tries to totally and deliberately destroy anybody and everybody who has the potential to stop her from getting the power she thinks she deserves, All that foreign policy experience she claims to have amounts to little more than a world-wide vacation with Chelsea at the expense of hard working American citizens. If she forces her way into this nomination, It is my wish that every Obama supporter will go to the polls and vote for John McCain . Bill and Hilliary Clinton are trying to defy our constitution by finding a way to live in the White House for more than eight years and if it happens , she will again close her eyes to Bill's seduction of young women who aspire to a career in politics.

March 28, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  27. Jo

What is WalMarts problem? They say they offer low prices and help the community but, please, to take a disabled person lively-hood shows their true colors. They don't care about anyone, I guess they believe he who has the most money wins the game.
    WalMart Corp or the Walton family could provide their own funds to help this woman. For them to say this is a sad story is true , they (WalMart) is sad.
    I wish everyone would boycott WalMart until they do the right thing. WalMart says they care but actions speak louder than word.
    I won't spend another dollor in their store until they show that they really care about humanity not just money.
    Please boycott WalMart!

March 28, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  28. JVMcDarby MD

Why are you not reporting the Fact that this unfortunate lady being sued by Walmart was awarded $1,000,000 in her case against the trucking company.However she actually got only $477,000 because the rest went to the lawyers !!!. Why are those lawyers not being pressured to help this poor lady , and give her some of HER money back?????

March 28, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  29. Sonia

not the skin color! Or worry, what people are going to say, because people do make acccidents and people are beyond racial lines! Obama is just not ready to be President, Clinton ready to be President.
    America's issue should be ready for a Strong Leader, not a Follower! You must crawl before you walk! Plus, cleaning up this mess! Gender should not matter at all!

March 28, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  30. EJ - Ohio

Esperanza, I have to disagree. Anderson is great except for the tie he had on today. He even did a story on nipple rings!

Seriously though – I think that Anderson is an excellent journalist. Its just that some of the news stories are by their nature – controversial and emotional.

Sometimes one just has to tune out of the news altogether when things get too crazy. Thank goodness that Spitzer story didn't go on for a month.

March 28, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  31. Esperanza

Too bad Erica, you are with Anderson Cooper 360. I skip the show as much as possible. I am very diasappointed with him. He is too bias and it is very nauseating. I used to be a fan but not anymore.

March 28, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  32. Tyler Dun

Hey Erica Cam,

I love the show I cant miss one of these, showing us the gears behind the machine is quite interesting!

Please update us with more.

Tyler

ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM

March 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  33. june

Erica...thanks for the behind the scenes view!

March 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  34. Julia

Anderson, I don't understand why there has not been more press on the situation with the Florida voters. My ? is, the republican legislature voted to change the primary date. The Governor of Florida is republican. Why did the Democrats allow this to happen and where was Mr. Dean then? This whole situation seems very fishy to me

March 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Marcy

i love this idea...keep it coming ! 🙂 Hey Erica next time AC is out and about ... show us his office is it still as dirty as it was several years ago (RE: the segment done where the lady (god help me can't remember her name) was doing a germ test and his office was off the charts!) ha!

March 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  36. Julia

Good evening Anderson and Erica and crew. Erica, I loved the Erica cam. It is nice to see what goes on behind the scenes and all the hard work that goes into a days show. Candy, you are wonderful. I love that you can report the facts and leave out all the personal feelings. You do a great job.

March 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  37. Annie Kate

Erica

I love these videos you do of behind the scenes. I'm starting to have more of an appreciation of just how many people it takes to get a segment ready for airtime.

I'm looking forward to hearing about what Walmart had to say also. I'll certainly tune in at 10. Have a great weekend.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

March 28, 2008 at 9:15 pm |
  38. Genevieve M, TX

We all really enjoy the "Erica Cam" series and how you are showing the viewers how things at CNN work.

As for your 'Wal-Mart letter' teaser... you now have the viewers eagerly awaiting the reveal of that letter! LOL

March 28, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  39. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Hi Erica,

Cannot thank you enough for taking time out of your busy day to do this for us. It is amazing to see what goes on at 360 and CNN every day and helps us to understand all of the incredible hours of hard work that go into maintaining the best news network out there.

As a loyal and committed CNN junkie, it has been my dream to see the things that you are presenting to us. Thank you for making this dream a reality. I was thankfully able to take the tour there in NYC before it ended. To me it was like visiting Mecca! LOL. Yeah, I know, I have issues!

Seriously, you all work so diligently, all the while remaining the finest example of the profession out there. As a believer of giving credit where credit is due, I thank you all for your committment to keeping them honest and providing us with information and pieces that no other networks cover.

Looking forward to the piece on Rendell. Being from PA, I am truly sickened by the remarks that he has made. How embarrassing that this man speaks for our state. I really have no words. Thank Randi for me – she was on that one. You go, Randi!

All of the best to you. Anderson, the 360 gang and everyone at CNN.

March 28, 2008 at 7:42 pm |
  40. Betty Ann

Thanks for the heads up for tonight's 360 Erica!
    Erica cam is pretty cool. I like seeing behind the scenes!
    Thank YOU!
    Very interesting~

March 28, 2008 at 7:39 pm |
  41. Bill in Nebraska

Erica,

Love to see you during the day. It is fun to see you running around CNN home base and being yourself. Love the behind the scenes stuff.

I am glad to hear that WalMart has responded to the outcry. I just hope it is to give her back her money.

Keep up the fun stuff Erica. Love seeing your beautiful smile and wicked sense of humor.

March 28, 2008 at 7:23 pm |
  42. Jennifer

Love the Erica-Cam- what a great idea. Thanks for bringing it back this week. It's fun to see the behind the scenes workings of CNN.

March 28, 2008 at 7:19 pm |
  43. Lilibeth

Thanks for showing us more of your offices...they sure look nice and spacious!

Looking forward to the Walmart update...I'm afraid we're not going to like what we'll hear though...

Also looking forward to Brittany and Randi's report...

Have a great weekend Erica! Hope you have good weather there. Here in Western Washington, it's crazy...we just had some snow! Unusual in the spring...see you tonight!

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

March 28, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  44. Jen

erica, i have to tell ya...i really enjoy these, and i hope you keep them up. you are an excellent addition to ac360! i hope you (and more importantly perhaps anderson) knows what a great job you're doing. thanks.

March 28, 2008 at 7:14 pm |