March 28th, 2008

Erica’s News Note: Bring on the weekend!

Erica Hill

Not sure how this fits into your Saturday plans, but there’s a worldwide movement to go dark tomorrow night at 8pm local time… actually, it’s part of a plan to go green. “Earth Hour” starts in Christchurch, New Zealand and moves West with the sun, with cities – and, the hope is, with citizens – pulling the plug for an hour, to remind people of the link between energy usage and climate change. In San Francisco, both the Golden Gate and the Bay Bridges will be dark.

Earth Hour is supposed to make us think about a greener lifestyle… or, if you own a bar, maybe just the green on those dollar bills. According to Time, a Phoenix bar is serving up “eco-tinis” and glow-in-the-dark necklaces in honor of the occasion. hmmm, plastic necklaces filled with chemicals? Yup, that sounds super green.  At the Sheraton in Chicago, you’ll check in by candlelight. But will any of this really do any good?

One of the big questions when Raul Castro officially took over from his brother, Fidel, was would anything really change in Cuba? OK, that and would he wear the same track suit. Well, the answer to that first one appears to be “yes."  Today, Cubans learned via a newspaper posting they could soon get a cell phone. Up until now, only those who worked for foreign companies or held certain positions in the government were allowed to have a mobile phone.  Hey, this could change a lot of lives on the island nation.

This nipple ring/airport security story is crazy… the press conference about the passenger‘s humiliating ordeal was a bit surreal, as well. I’m not sure when nipple rings became a terrorist weapon of choice. I could go on and on… but it’s probably better if I don’t. I’ll let you make up your own mind here

In India, a woman is tied to a tree and beaten, because a local man says her magic didn’t work. He hired the woman as a witch to improve his wife’s health. When she took a turn for the worse, the man accused the “witch” of using black magic, a mob formed and she ended up tied to a tree, being beaten. The man who hired her could face up to seven years in prison for his part in this attack, but he says she deserved it. See for yourself.

OK, let’s round this posting out with an “awww” for the week. Baby elephant, anyone? I’ll let the video do the talking.

Have a great weekend!

– Erica Hill 360° Correspondent

Filed under: Erica Hill
  1. Sylvie Grace

I don't think that turning off your lights for one hour one day out of the year will make one bit of difference in terms of saving the planet; nevertheless, I do think that turning off your lights for one hour one day out of the year can raise awareness about saving energy which in time can help save the planet. Great changes in our society start small, like earth hour, and grow into awareness, which promotes change. So with that, I think having Earth Hour was good! It is my hope that Earth hour will become an annual event, getting more backing and promoting awareness about saving energy.
    Earth Hour was a good hour.

March 31, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  2. SUNNY

Hey , I love weekends . I need another one, quick.

March 31, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  3. Sharon Wright

Rachel, that took courage ...sharing your Walmart story. Sounds like the company is consistent in its' treatment of employees. I wish someone within the ranks would mount a blog fto air grievances. I doubt very much if the majority of shareholders would endorse inhumane treatment ........or am I naive?

March 29, 2008 at 9:49 pm |
  4. Mary Ellen

Hi Erica,
    I am SHOCKED that over 60% of those CNN polled are NOT turning off their lights! – Opportunity to save money too!

I am turning off the lights and catching up on my yoga!
    Have a great weekend,
    Mary Ellen

March 29, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  5. LK

I wonder if anyone will track if there is a worldwide baby boom in 9 months after we all find something to do in the dark for an hour.

March 29, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  6. gregory quinn

hello some guys from the vfw have been compareng tapes from different station its incredible to see how obsessed they are with reverand wright its actually hurting mccain because im seeing more vets voting for obama their talking about making snippets of fox morning hannity and orielly ihave to admit when you compare all stations fox news is a disgrace they got the mornig show with reporter wallace this is starting to spread theirs talk about boycotting fox news hannity is the worst also the talk in michigan obama would kill her in the election people dont like govenor grantholm i think snippets of foxs news arent going to be good i dont really care im voting for mccain hes a vet like mysef just thought id give you a heads up what im hereing good bye greg

March 29, 2008 at 10:18 am |
  7. Leon Williams

Sen. John McCain is a very good man and did more than enough for the country I think is time the country give him a good treat and let him go on retirement and enjoy the rest of in life in peace. Let some one young take on the heavy load of this country.

March 29, 2008 at 10:11 am |
  8. Rachel

I'm 37 years old. I had a stroke and brain anyrusm 2 years ago. I too worked for wal-mart at this time for 10 plus years. I have always been in good health, never seeing a doctor except for my yearly exam. I was in management at wal-mart and recieved no help or anything from wal-mart. The wal-mart associate help or foundation could not help since I was management. Since I could not return back to work I was told to resign and get on disability. I did. My point is wal-mart does not care about the associates and the stress they put on people is a lot. My doctors have told me my condition was due to stress. Thank you wal-mart. Wal-mart really does challege the status quoe and stress out there middle management associates to do more so they can be promoted. I worked very hard and with no notice (health problems) I have now been promoted to a full time disabled young person. By the way the wal-mart executives don't share rooms. After Mr.Walton died all that stopped. The good home town business is no longer happening since Mr. Walton died. Please email me if you have any additional questions. Bless the lady living in the nursing home with brain injury.

March 29, 2008 at 2:07 am |
  9. Cellie california

Partial "popular vote" does not count as popular vote if some states are left out . All states should be counted and given a chance to be heard.

Leaving Michigan and Florida votes uncounted results to partial "popular vote".

March 29, 2008 at 1:55 am |
  10. PA

360 is one sided story. Be fair and real journalist for just one day.

March 28, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  11. Jolene

Erica: There's nothing better than seeing a baby with it's mother! The baby elephant video put a smile on my face! Great way to end the week. Thanks.

March 28, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  12. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Erica,
    I bet the candle industry will be pushing for earth hour every week.
    Camping lanterns too...There's a plus to everything.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

March 28, 2008 at 9:56 pm |
  13. Kelly Irby

I'm not sure if one hour will do much good, but I would love to be across the Bay in Marin and watch the moment when both San Francisco bridges go dark, as well as the skyline. (Although, it's a bit of a stretch to say it will all go dark, both bridges will have the roadside lightes on because they are "freeways" and Caltrans says those lights stay on!)

March 28, 2008 at 9:17 pm |
  14. Annie Kate

The baby elephant was so adorable. Thanks for the video of that.

Earth Hour – its only purpose is to raise awareness of climate change and the need to conserve energy. Someone also suggested that it would be a good family time as well – play games by candlelight, etc. They did Earth hour last year in New Zealand and Australia and the idea caught on and the participation of cities and company is pretty awesome this year.

Thanks for highlighting Earth Hour in your post.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

March 28, 2008 at 9:11 pm |
  15. Oralia

I say this is great! It should be interesting though as I may be driving on the Bay Bridge at exactly that time.

It won't solve the problem over night, but it definitely make us more aware.

Have a fabulous weekend, Erica and all.

March 28, 2008 at 8:22 pm |
  16. Carol B., Virginia

Hi Erica, The lights out energy awareness seems a little hokey, but it can't hurt. To elderly people it probably seems like the blackouts during WWII.
    That's terrible what happened to the woman at the airport and defies common sense. Lastly, the footage of little "Babar" is cute. Have a nice weekend!

March 28, 2008 at 8:20 pm |
  17. Chris in Va.

Greetings Erica!,
    I have an Earth Hour every night. I can't afford the electricity!

-Chris in Va.

March 28, 2008 at 8:12 pm |
  18. Sarah

Erica.....I love the " Erica Cams"

So, is Coop gonna blog anymore. I miss his posts and I am sure I am not the only one.

Regarding " Earth Hour" I think it is rather silly. But of course, this is just my opinion.

March 28, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  19. comfortablynumb

Erica- thanks for another fun blog. I say the hour long power strike is great, as long as it's not during my UNC game...seriously. A lot of the bars around here do the glow in the dark necklaces and bracelets nightly, good PR i guess.
    My english class had a heated discussion today on the nipple ring subject, sort of awkward too. I think it was a stretch, and I also think not only is people's privacy being invaded, but all respect for travelers has been forfeited. My friend broke his collar bone while we were skiing in Canada and his "bra" had metal pieces on it and he was forced to remove his shirt and the sling. They weren't even polite about it either. Power trip.
    Love the elephant too, always cute.

March 28, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  20. Betty Ann

Hi Erica,
    That is a good idea! I will be triping my breaker for an hour or so!
    Thanks and peace~

March 28, 2008 at 7:27 pm |
  21. Rob, Arvada, CO

What would be more effective is to have a gas-out. Everyone not drive for one hour on Saturday, so between 8 and 9, no driving, and don't buy gas tomorrow either, maybe a one day no show of demand could bring the price of gas down a little.

March 28, 2008 at 7:24 pm |
  22. Ruby Coria, LA., CA.

Erica, I'm down with everything being down for at least an hour tomorrow, but trip I was planning on going to Vince Beach n get my nipples done (ouch) I guess I should think about (am Mexi/American we're called terrorist at times I think because we're brown too.) The witch woman, needs to do some Black Magic on the dude. Awwh the baby elephant... Erica a beautiful woman as you are deserves a beautiful wk.end... UCLA.

March 28, 2008 at 7:02 pm |
  23. Lilibeth

I actually like the idea of "Earth Hour." Even if an hour doesn't make a huge difference, it's the message that counts, right? And if everyone in the world gets the message about climate change, "Earth Hour" will not be for naught.

The nipple ring story...all I can think of is...why put a ring there to begin with? Sounds painful! Yikes!

The baby elephant is so cute...well, to me, all baby animals are cute! Thanks for sharing the video!

Have a great weekend Erica!

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

March 28, 2008 at 7:02 pm |
  24. Christina, Windber, PA

Hey Erica
    I don't know about the Golden Gate bridge being dark, kinda scary. I am wondering, is it ony lights we turn off or stop all electric usage? I'm okay with turning off the lights, but tv and computer might prove a little harder. At least they were smart enough not to make it 10:00 PM on a weeknight. No way are we missing AC360!

Nipple rings a terorist weapon? Sounds like another case of people in authority hiding behind rules without using any common sense.

Thanks for blogging; are you fulfilling Anderson's New Year's resolution to blog more? I miss his blogs. Have a great weekend.

March 28, 2008 at 7:01 pm |
  25. Jennifer

Great news for Cuba and hopefully the first of many changes to come.
    The story from India is really tragic. Thanks for the elephant video.. so cute...great way to end the week.
    Have a great weekend Erica

March 28, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  26. Jacqueline

Hey, Erica!

This is the first I've heard of this. I think it's a great idea and I myself, have felt an energy curfew should have been in place many years ago. But I'm considered an extremist. However, my answer is NO! I don't think it could prevent what is bound to happen. But I do believe it could POSSIBLY slow the effects of global warming but not stop it. So any thing to help, we should go for it.

The Bible teaches us that man shall destroy himself. My belief is that "global warming" is one of the ways in which we do so. Sorry if I sound glum; don't mean to, but I believe the Bible.

About the green glow in the dark necklaces, LOL!
    It's like someone who claims to be watching their weight or something while downing three Big Macs a day with a diet soda. Lotta help the that's gonna do. LOL!

JPH, NY

March 28, 2008 at 6:40 pm |
  27. Jo Ann

Erica,

Happy Friday! Thanks for the lovely video of the precious baby elephant, but it is so sad that it will be forced to live its life in a zoo.

Have a great weekend!
    Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

March 28, 2008 at 6:38 pm |
  28. Alheli Picazo, Calgary, Alberta, Canada (pronounced "ala-lee")

Hey Erica!

While Turning off the lights for one hour is really not going to do much for climate change, it does create an awareness about the impact simple actions such as turning off extra lights and appliances can make.

Just like doing a 5 mile run in support or breast cancer research will not suddenly cure breast cancer, but it does help to create a dialogue about the cause and encourages people to make donations toward cancer research to try and find a cure.

I say everyone SHOULD partitcape in earth hour, but don't stop there. Make an effort every day to conserve energy and reduce waste. Every little bit helps, and the more people who change just one thing, the bigger the impact those small changes will collectively make!

Have a great weekend too Erica! (And of course AC!)

March 28, 2008 at 6:35 pm |
  29. Franny from Chicago, IL

Too many green things to do, too little time. I don't think the 'lights out' thing will be effective but it gives some people something to do.

I always knew that once Fidel gives power to Raul, something will change. I'm happy for the Cubans that they're able to get things like computers and cell phones.

When I heard about the nipple ring thing, I was like, what? It's ridiculous that the airport security can force a woman to remove her nipple rings when she already admitted that they were nipple rings. It's not like she was hiding the fact and she even offered to show the female security. Abuse of power much?

March 28, 2008 at 6:34 pm |
  30. Mary Carnegie Oklahoma

Did you know that those glow in the dark necklaces may have toxic liquid in them if they should start leaking? A few years back, my dog chewed on one and it made her very sick.
    If the country is so worried about the enegy used, why don't they turn off the lights in the high-rise office buildings and government buildings when no one is there working?????

March 28, 2008 at 6:26 pm |