March 28th, 2008

An original in every sense...

ALT TEXT

Our CNN colleague and friend Beverly Broadman died this past evening.

Bev was an original in every sense of the word...she was a CNN Original, here literally from 'day one.' Bev was someone who helped guide this network through some of its monumental moments. When news events made the world stand still ... she knew we had to be ‘ready, pick up, and do anything’ to get that news out to the world....

Many times the behind-the-scenes heroes go unnoticed...

We couldn’t let that happen with Bev....

Filed under: Beverly Broadman
  1. Eileen Marascia

Beverly Broadman was both a dear friend and neighbor. Bev grew up an only child in New York City, never married or had children and so we, her neighbors became her extended family. It was she who kept our nightly happy hours going...and we were grateful to her for doing it! She loved to sing and she loved to dance...she would not let her arthritis hold her back! I personally will miss this gem of a lady...she was very close to my husband and I. We were with her right to the end along with some very good friends from CNN. Our lives will truly be changed without her.
    Eileen Marascia

April 1, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  2. Gina W

I'm so sorry to hear about Bev's untimely death. I worked at CNN as a producer from 1994-2002. She was respected by those in the field and those in the control room. If Bev said your package/live shot/video was gonna make it, it made it. Condolences to all her friends and family.
    Gina

March 28, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  3. Robin Kemp

Bev was a great journalist, a super role model, and always calm under pressure. It was my pleasure to work with her from 1989-1996. My dad, Jim, worked alongside Bev at the National Desk for about 20 years. I'll always remember her with a phone on one shoulder, typing away despite severe damage to her hands, and getting the facts straight. We loved her very much and will miss her terribly, as we do so many good people at CNN (Dan Doherty, John Holliman).

March 28, 2008 at 7:34 pm |
  4. linda hemmingsen

To cnn, and Bev's family our deepest sympathy goes out to you all she was a great lady and will be missed.

March 28, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  5. Genevieve M, TX

I am sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose someone you care about.

March 28, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  6. Lilibeth

My thoughts, prayers, and condolences are with you all and with Bev's family. What a great tribute to an incredible human being! Thank you for sharing her story with us.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

March 28, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  7. Sabrina in Los Angeles

She seemed like a very dynamic and special person who will be greatly missed by all.

((Hugs))

March 28, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  8. Susan

Accept my deepest sympathy in the loss of your CNN colleague. I am sure she will be remembered by all for her fine work. She has sure seen CNN grow into the fine news organization it is today.

I am very sorry to all for your loss. Give my best to her family.

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

March 28, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  9. Vinnie Leigh

Was Beverly born in Brooklyn?
    My best friend growing up as a kid was Beverly Broadman, who lived on Ridge Blvd, and your Bev looks just like my Bev.
    In any case, condolences.

March 28, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  10. Tammy

My thoughts are with you. Losing a colleague, mentor, and friend is never easy. I loved her attitude that there is no room for prima donnas and one does whatever it takes to get the job done because all jobs are important. Definitely worth remembering no matter what the profession! Nice job on her tribute!

March 28, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  11. April in Texas

I havent been watching CNN long, well since the start of this president campaign but I do wish to send my thoughts and prayers to the CNN family as well as to Bev's Family.

March 28, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  12. Bill Florida

My deepest condolence.

You are right, those that are behind the scenes in
    not only news but many work places, churches,
    charities and etc. get unnoticed but the real hero.

CNN is to be complimented to make sure her
    memory and life is remembered at such a time.

March 28, 2008 at 12:29 pm |
  13. Cindy

Sorry to hear about your colleague. She must have been privy to some of the great times that CNN had on air. May she rest in peace! My deepest sympathy and prayers go out to to her family.

Cynthia, Covington, Ga.