March 27th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/27/08

Anderson anchors from Los Angeles again tonight.

We'll begin with breaking news. Barack Obama weighing in, again, on his former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, as ugly new statements associated with the reverend emerge.

Also tonight, the economy and what Democrats say they'll do to fix it.

And much more.

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and close the blog at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mitch

I am very, VERY disappointed in you ANDERSON COOPER...you were the only journalist that Obama gave a personal interview with you. Let you in – behind the scenes with campaign. You, not Keith O. (MSNBC) who he has a high respect for because Keith treats Obama right, and here you are partisipating in the gossip game. Not even Fox news ran this story as much as CNN and MSNBC ran it. I'm sure Obama is very disappointed in giving you any kind of trust – when you turned out to be just a "typical white guy"...I'll now turn to the rerun of Keith O. instead of watching you at 10pm now...

March 27, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

Anderson, get Candy some roses.

March 27, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  3. Claire in Birmingham, AL

Anderson.... Get her daisies. They're happy flowers. Roses are good too, haha

March 27, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  4. Terry

David you just made a very profound statement.

March 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  5. Kim

I think Obama needed to pay is dues for his first two years in the US Senate. A junior senator is expected to sit down and work hard and learn the ropes, so there usually is not much chance to initiate highly visible bills during the first year or two.

March 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  6. Doreen from Oregon

Lesli, since the 80's the word 'liberal'has been demonised. Now the politically correct term is 'progressive'
    I have been a liberal all my adult life. To me if one cares about one's fellow man in all sorts of ways, i.e. jobs, education, against discrimination, fair taxation... things like that.. then I am glad to be a liberal.

March 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  7. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

Anderson, please make sure you thank Candy from all the viewers for coming in on her vacation! I can only speak for myself, but I know that everyone in my house loves when she is on because of her intelligent political analysis! Thanks Candy!

March 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  8. big dogg

well you know i don,t understand it looks like rev.wright is sabatoging sen.obama or someone is digging up some old rev.wright,s silliness i hope for the people that we can look beyond this mess. BIG DOGG.

March 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  9. David

Excuse me. Why are Wright's comments being automatically dismissed as crackpot or "misguided"? Even by Obama supporters!

Call them radical if you want, but anything else is just stopping up your ears.

March 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  10. Lesli

Get Candy an Orchid.

I think she's a pretty rare flower herself.

Take a break girl. Politics will be here till November.

March 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  11. Rose from IA

Great.....Michael Ware coming up. He's GREAT.........hope the hook up works tonight!

March 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, Ohio

Is it just a gimmick his campaign is using to get Obama elected or is there anything in his record that would suggest that he was ever interested in working across the aisle or in bringing the country together?

March 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Becca

Anderson, what exactly constitutes a liberal? And why does this word carry such negative connotation?

March 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  14. Maria

get Candy her favorite flowers! ... and maybe some Lindt chocolate truffles!

March 27, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Brian Persaud

Anderson> Why don't you ask her yourself :D?

March 27, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Carly,AL

sunflowers or daisys...thye are bright and up liftig in stressful time..then again might wanna through in some lavender 2

March 27, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Jennifer J.

Hmm...cala lilies?

March 27, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  18. Nyoka Swanson

You talked about Hillary Clinton, Lying about her experinces what about n a speech he said he had not heard his pastor say any of the thing's that were being reported. well dont you think he lied,as I under stand he was his mentor. how could he talk with this man for so many years and not know what was inside this mans mind. dont you know they had to have personal conversation's. The people of the United States are not FOOL's . The Magority of AMERICAN's love their country very much . And yes all voter's who vote should be counted , no matter what month the primary was held.

March 27, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  19. Brent, Roseville CA

Anderson: Get Candy some tulips.

March 27, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  20. Emty

Candy seriously wins the Most Dedicated award.

March 27, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  21. shauna

I agree Fred

March 27, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  22. sam

Obama doesn't want to be called liberal because he knows that a liberal democrat has never been elected to the Presidencey, but sorry if you read his policy proposals they are about as liberal as you can get, doubt me read his policy proposals.

March 27, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Amy, Philly, PA

'too liberal" that is soooo 2004

March 27, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Linda

I am still asking the question about the people wanting their votes back? What does that mean for Obama?

March 27, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar

Yup! Yvonne! That's true, I agree with you....... Thanks!

March 27, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  26. Belinda

I keep hearing that Hillary has more experience and is more electable. I fail to see how she is. Maybe you can do a 2 week story on how this is possible.

March 27, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  27. Eric Rickkford

Hi Anderson:

This is a capitalist and democratic country, Why are we worried about a fierce competition between Obama and Clinton? I thought we were teaching the world to be democratic and to compete,,,that way we avoid war so why all the negative about a political race,,,it should go to the end.........it's democratic and capitalistic ...that's who we are and we are the best in the world.

March 27, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  28. B

We need to help ythe people of this country. When you and your family are hungry , race do not mean anything.

March 27, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Anderson Cooper

what kind of flowers should we get candy?

March 27, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Carolyn

Hi Anderson,

I love your program. Candy Crowley is my favorite. Thanks Candy for sharing while on vacation.

March 27, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Obama Supporter

These comments against Obama are the very reasons I will not vote for HRC. Her campaign is so negative. Why?

March 27, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Dorothy

I am asking America to rise above this Rev Wright nonsense and show the world how great this nation is. We forgive just as God has promised to forgive all of us for our sins. Do not judge OBAMA for something his Pastor has said. President Clinton brought shame to the White house in his last term and we did not tell Hillary to disown her husband. One could say; You can't choose your family but you can certainly choose your spouse or to stay with your spouse. I forgave the President for his sin and hold no remorse towards him . May God bless America and forgive us, for we bring shame to Him.

March 27, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  33. David

Fred: Obama has known Wright for 20 years. You've known him for 30 seconds.

March 27, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  34. Sharon

Unfortunately many of us (both black and white) have at least one person in our lives who makes tasteless, and sometimes bigoted remarks, but we love them anyway because they are people who are for the most part good, or who have touched our lives in beautiful or meaningful ways. We do our best to change their minds, but, in the meantime, tolerate their insensitivity, hoping that they will eventually come around. I can't imagine that Obama hasn't tried to influence Wright's opinions. He seems a highly honorable man, and though I dislike the remarks, I still admire Obama's loyalty to his terribly misguided friend.

March 27, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  35. Carol in SD

If Senator Obama had not made the remarks "words matter" in several of his campaigns, I don't think Rev Wrights words would have mattered, but the truth is....Sen Obama defends his pastor, and those WORDS DO MATTER.

March 27, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  36. B

As a military man. Patriotism are carried to far sometimes. Patriotism comes in all forms. I do not feel that Rev Wright that served in the marine do not love his country. I have not met a marines and former marine that do love this country. Anyone that has worn a military uniform has earned the right to speak his mind. I put on my uniform everyday so anyone can speak their mind. If I like it or not.

March 27, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  37. Stacy

Is Obama too liberal? Didn’t we go through the same thing with Kerry? Why don’t we ever ask if candidates are too conservative? After all, it’s been eight years under a supposed conservative that got us where we are today. Maybe we need someone as liberal as we can get.

March 27, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  38. Julie San Diego, CA

Wow. So much focus on "winning".
    I want to vote for someone who is worried about "governing". Let's talk about that.
    Candy, you came in on your vacation?

March 27, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar

I agree with Candy Crowley, I am support Hillary, I never have to vote Obama being poor decision about former his pastor Wright.....

March 27, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  40. DeniseGA

YVONNE, THANK YOU I TOTALLY AGREE!

March 27, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Linda

I am a White Female and I take offense of what Pastor Wright preaches! He preaches Hateful, Anti-White, Anti-American sermons. And if you think that is not important enough to talk about you must be Black or Stupid. Real Christian preachers do not talk about hating American or Hating Blacks, or any other Race for that matter. The bible states you should love your enemies. This church teaches Black Theology! Look it up and see if this is what you want in a President. And by the way I saw these videos and there are Children in the pews! He has the same beliefs as his Pastor if he didn't he would have left along time ago. How sad that Obama would subject his Children to this Hateful Man.!!! Wake up America!

March 27, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Miriam

That's why I LOVE Hillary. You can't knock her down. She truly believes in the American people. America has thrown the kitchen sink at her through the years and she is still here! Why would someone want to put up with all of this if not because they truly believe they can make a difference?? HILLARY 2008!

March 27, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  43. Lesli

Is Obama too liberal?

In Canada, being liberal is a good thing.

This is really funny to Canadians. We have a Liberal Party. We also have a party called the Progressive Conservative Party, an Oxymoron if I every heard one.

The Liberal Party and the Progressive Conservative Party are on opposite ends of the spectrum. In the middle is a third party, the New Democratic Party. Canadian's are still trying to figure out where they fit in because they generally flip flop back and forth between the other two parties to leverage their advantage and importance on pet issues.

March 27, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  44. erica hilll

Candy came in off vaca? She truly is the best!

March 27, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Give Candy those flowers!

March 27, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Sunae Jacksonville, Fl

Rev. Wright helped the man find Christianity. That doesn't mean he believes the controversial things that Wright says. Look at Hillary oh yea she's really ready to lead. Run for cover like she did in Bosnia.

March 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Jeff in Detroit

By the way, Anderson and Erica, this is my first time to join the Live Blog. I love it!

March 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Fred

I agree that Reverend Wright's comments are not Obama's. It's not even really relevant that the Rev's comments were anti-White, anti-American, anti-Semitic, or anti-Martian. What is relevant is Obama's 20 year involvement and support of his "spiritual mentor"and family adviser. If he now "denounces and repudiates" the offensive sermons (and now the weekly church publications) in question, the question is: Where was his conscience over the last 2 decades?

March 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  49. Cheryl, Upstate, NY

Hillary is dreaming. She may be in it to win it, but it just is not going to happen

March 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Ann

kudos for Ronald Baker.....you nailed it!!!

March 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm |