March 27th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/27/08

Anderson anchors from Los Angeles again tonight.

We'll begin with breaking news. Barack Obama weighing in, again, on his former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, as ugly new statements associated with the reverend emerge.

Also tonight, the economy and what Democrats say they'll do to fix it.

And much more.

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and close the blog at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Texas Supporter

Good Evening Everyone!
    I am a first time blogger and I would like to share my comments with you. I think it is sad that we are still discussing the Rev. Wright comments weeks later. I would like to talk about what Obama brings to the table as the next president, not Rev. Wright. It is also sad that the only information you can use against a person is what church you attend and not how you can heal a nation and bring unity to our wonderful country. Thousands of your loveones lose their lives due to a meaningless war and we are worried about what church Obama attends. SAD!!

March 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  2. Jeff in Detroit

I think the superdelegates need to get behind someone, anyone! The longer this drags out, the harder it will be for the Democrats to gain the presidency. Would we even be having this conversation if the tables were turned and Obama was the one behind in the polls?

March 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  3. erica hilll

Sunae, I agree

March 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  4. Sinjun

Let's the fights continue!!!! If a candidate can't take it they should drop out. Maybe these young, inexperienced Obama supporters aren't used to like us over 30. Politics are fun and exciting. Almost as good as a good hockey game.....

March 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Sandy in PA

Thank you for finally not giving Obama a pass on this latest controversy. Jeremiah Wright is a hate filled extremist and a hypocrite guilty of the very racism he decries so vehemently. I am shocked and disgusted at the latest comments that have some to light. Garlic Noses? Anti-Semitic comments? Is there anyone out there besides Louis Farakhan that Wright doesn't hate? I'm sorry, but you don't sit in a church for 20+ years and not know what your pastor believes. And when you don't stand up and leave or speak out against it, your silence contrues consent. Obama agrees with this hateful nonsense on some level. He is a confused man who only joined that church to feel more of a part of an African American socitey that he did not grow up in as a child. Sadly, in doing so, he turned his back on his white mother and grandparents who raised him – you know, the ones he "proudly" shows in his TV ads. Disgusting!

March 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  6. JH2 Miami

Obama suggested today that forclosures be included in personal bankruptcy settelments. Very good! See NYT today

March 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  7. bk

Anderson, I think that no matter what comes out on Obama that his cult will defend him no matter what. He sits there smug and arogant because he knows they will believe anything he says. How sad. Oh yea did you see Obama today almost copied Clintons speach on the economy. Does he have any ideas of his own?

March 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  8. Rose Hart

There is nothing more Obama or Wright can say or do. The "FORMER" pastor spewed hate and bigotry for 20 years from every pore of his being even if it was in "snippets" as O. likes to call it. Obama with his "UNQUESTIONABLE" judgement listened to it and acquiesed and brought his children along to hear the hate mongering since they were babies.

What more can he do? Nothing. He has done quite enough.

March 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Sunae Jacksonville, Fl

I wish just for once in this diverse Country of ours that we the people of all ethnic backgrounds can come together asaUNITY.

March 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  10. Vicki

I have a lot of friends that would like their vote back, anyone else heard this?

March 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  11. Mark

If Hillary is better than Barrack Obama, she better prove it and stop throwing dirt at this "man". Nobody handed him anything. Being black never helped anyone get ahead. So don't lose credibility trying to stick up for a lazy privileged crybaby. You can play all the semantics you want. She is a liar, and a cheat. And I don't respect that at all.

March 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  12. Ann Griffith

Churches have always made political statements . Has no one ever prayed for peace? What about matters of justice? How about feeding the hungry? Sermons about wars, abortion, racism? In my experience people only say that religion and politics do not mix when the status quo is challenged.

March 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  13. Jacqui Chan

Well said Erica! Don't get Anderson started. As much as I can't stand "she who must not be named" I LOVED Anderson's coverage of the princess' Larry King interview. Well done Anderson!

March 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  14. mary

My mother always said that there is no protection against a liar. Which is more troublesome–a leader who goes to the wrong church or a leader who will lie to you without "batting an eye?"

March 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  15. Ronald Baker

Focusing on Rev. Wright is important to the image of America because while we focus on his opinions and rhetoric we can forget about the lack of health care, families losing their homes, jobs flying out of the country, the rich getting richer and the poor dying. We can stop questioning our destruction of the environment and the border and illegal immigration issues. I mean, who cares about those issues anyway? They don't affect American voters.

Yes America. Stay focused on Rev. Wright. When the dust clears, Rev. Wright will have a place to stay, money in the bank and health care. Will you be able to say the same?

March 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  16. Chuck in Alabama

Obama's Economic Stimulus Package is a carbon copy of Clinton's. Why wasn't all this savings and loan "free for all" stopped after the S&L scandal of the 80s? Where is Neil Bush anyway?

March 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Linda

Anderson,
    Isn't the church and government separate? Isn't it personal what a preacher is preaching to his congregation? Does anyone know who is digging up all these OLD sermons? Hillary Clinton lied to us this week , she was dishonest ! nobody in the media is talking about that , why?

March 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  18. Mary Margaret

I agree 100% with Ann Marie's post tonight. We don't hold other politicians responsible for the outrageous statements made by their endorsers – especially the Republicans and their history of welcoming albeit between the lines – racists and anti-Catholics to their campaigns. I'm Catholic and in my lifetime have put up with more than a few crazy priests – but would never even consider leaving the Catholic Church. Doesn't mean for one minute that I support everything that is said by the Catholic Church. People need to grow up!

March 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Dorie

We are not who we associate with. Obama has a right to worship where he wishes, and to associate with whom he wishes. If people believed that you believed everything those you associate with believed – you'd be in trouble, too, Anderson. So would I – so would everyone. We don't live in bubbles. Isn't it great that idiots like Reverend Wright can say whatever they feel like saying and great men like Obama can sit back, listen, and take in only what he wants to take in?

March 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  20. Greg Erie PA

It's all about good judgement or lack there of. Sen. Obama has show lack of judgement by attending a church that has a mission statement like this church does.
    I can understand why when he is a local politician who has to reflect his local constituents to gain their votes. This is what a member of Congress does, he represents the people in that area or state.
    But to run for the highest office in the land and be associated with a group like this. I really don't think the American people will go for it.
    It's a matter of good judgement.

March 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  21. ODINEL CASSEUS

The way this primary going is very embarrasing to the eyes of the world, I hope you guy;s will show to the people what we are facing at this time of year[The Economy], jobs and health issues,instead make a big deal about a pastor sermon.

Thank.

March 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Maureen T

She who must not be named. Nuf said.

March 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  23. Therese Gregg

The Rev Wright situation would not be so bad for Obama except that he has openly stated that Rev Wright was his MENTOR. Not just a Pastor...but a MENTOR. That is why even the Obama supporters are questioning their positions. Obama stated that he and his family were members of this church for 20 years. He was mentored from this Pastor his whole political career. Yes, it makes one think. Is this Obamas best judgement. Deals with Rezko and Rev Wright as a Mentor. Yes, it makes me question his judgement and his ability to walk into Washington and get things started ASAP. Thank you. Therese

March 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  24. Ken

I think that Hillary's lies about Bosnia were much worse than Barak's Pastor making stupid remarks. The press seems to have given her a pass on this. Barack should not answer anymore questions about the Rev. wrights remarks. He did not make the remarks or write the reamarks himself.

It is time to discuss IRAQ, Guantanamo, Economy and restoring our Countries reputation.

March 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Lisa, TN

Oh come on. Let it rest, please. Jeremiah Wright is not running for president. He just an angry old man. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people in all of our lives that we don't agree with and still remain friends. I don't agree with the words and actions that my pastor say or present. But I still love him the same.

Just like my mother's views aren' t my views. You don't have to see eye to eye to get along.

Plus Jeremiah Wright is a grown man, Barack can't rule or guide him in the way he should or shouldn't go.

March 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Brian Persaud

You can't compare the dynamics of McCain and Hagee to Obama and Wright. McCain is a republican, so the Hagee endorsement wasn't completely against what his and his party's beliefs are, but in the case of Obama, Wrights comments are completely counterintuitive.

March 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  27. Peter

Rev. Wright should come out and explain to American people why he said those things. I am sure he likes America more than any other country in the world. We seem to hear only one side of the story. It's hurting Obama unnecessarily. If the Reverend is afraid of coming out, let him send a fax or call CNN or any other newsroom of his choice and the message is going to be passed around.

March 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  28. April in Texas

I was impressed today with the economy speech and Bloomberg was awesome.

March 27, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  29. Anderson Cooper

good evening everyone... thanks for the spirited discussion thats going on... just for the record, while we did cover the wright story.. we are also covering the economy... sen obama's record... and the situation in iraq..

March 27, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  30. David

Why doesn't anyone ask Hillary Clinton her views on race? Or John McCain? Why is it that only the black candidate needs to answer these questions? I mean, I know it was Obama's pastor that set this firestorm off, but it's an issue that they should ALL have at least thought about.

If race is going to be a part of this then it needs to be a part of it for EVERYONE!

March 27, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  31. David Zukerman

Why doesn't somebody(Obama) suggest(?) to Reverend Wright to meet with the press and give a clean bill to Obama who is supposedly his friend.
    Friends like this(???) gives me a headache. Obama must have a migraine.

March 27, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  32. William Lnz

I think the thing that everyone is missing is what Barack said last week. That is the culture of many Americans from the civil rightrs generation. I have Aunts and Uncles who are African American and still have very harsh words and thoughts when is comes to whites, yet my white wife has many people on her side that still call me out of my name when I am not around. People need to start to think about what they believe and will stand for. Racism in AMerica is real and will be around for ever- No matter if it is David Duke or Jerimiah Wright stating their case, some people are set in their ways. As a nation we need to realize that we need to be together on this issue and not ignore the fact that it is there.

March 27, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  33. bill peck

Why do I still not hear any clamor to obtain further comment and explanation from the man himself, Rev Wright? Much could be layed to rest by allowing Rev Wright to speak for himself what his views really are and what they should mean in the presidential campaign context. Find Rev Wright!

March 27, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

Watching these clips of the candidates making promises about how to fix the economy is kind of disheartening when you think about it, because how many of the promises that are made during presidential campaigns are actually followed through on? It is sad that politics has become a realm made up of broken promises. What can we do to make sure they follow through with their promises once they are elected?

March 27, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Jim

Erica: Thank you. Do enjoy you and Anderson.

There is a story that is under the radar but has big implications for job losses and decrease in benefits for Americans. Momentum is gaining, however, McCain, Clinton and Obama haven't declared their position on Hobson-Tanner.

Lead: Contact Cara C. Bachenheimer, Senior Vice President of Government Relations for Invacare.

March 27, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  36. srini

i give A PLUS to both hillary and obama talkin about real issues-THE ECONOMY and an "F "to the media instigating cat-fights for example-rev wright/sniper issues

March 27, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  37. AJ

Why is the media perpetuating this Rev Wright controversy? He's not running for President! These are not Barack Obama's words!

Why not ask Rev Wright about his words. I don't believe we are seeing the whole picture of the man. If finding the most controversial or outright wrong thing each of us has said in our lives is how the rest of us were judged, we'd all be in trouble!

March 27, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  38. April in Texas

I plan to watch the view tomorrw then .. a show i normally dont watch

March 27, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  39. Mary Ann

Hey Anderson
    Let say that Obama goes on to win, and I really hope he does not. Then he goes on to beat McCain. I wonder if the Rev. Wright suddenly appears again. I think there is more to this.Things go on behind the scenes that the American people do not know about. How could he just shut this character out after 20 years. I do not think so. All of a sudden I heard him say God Bless America after his stumping the other day. When he was with Gov. Richardson and the so called big endorsement speech he was wearing a pin on his jacket. The next day the pin is gone. I do not feel he is being truthful. Maybe I am wrong but I feel something is not right with him,

March 27, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  40. B

Rev wright issue are not going to help america on foreclosure and job lose

March 27, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Nik

you know whats funny obama and hillary have the exact same speech yes but in the long run if the democratic side wins then would that be benificial to us instead of people oposing each other just a question

March 27, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  42. jim

Anderson,
    He had his chance to prove he was a american first and a black second. He fail the test

March 27, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Tracy Schenk

As a female vet, it seems to me that the american people are losing sight of what is really important. We can't control everything that people say and I do not think Obama should be held accountable for Pastor Wright's comments...but at least we know he's a Christian!

March 27, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  44. Fred

With Obama's revised mea culpa comments on "The View" clip demonstrating the evolving nature of the Reverend Wright debate, it looks like the discussion is finally going to the place where it should have been in the first place. Despite Obama's brilliant (and politically astute) speech to try to frame the debate around racial intolerance, the debate is and always should have been about his judgement.

March 27, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  45. tom

If Obama really wanted to end this he would not still be be going to this church because these comments about Jewish people were on the church's bulletin this past week . Obama wants to play it both ways affiliate with the church but then say this is not what he believes, sorry but if your President you can't have it both ways. Obama hasn't even addressed the black separatist theology of his church, this polls are done with the indention to changing public opinion, instead of representing.

March 27, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

Well it's nice to see the candidates actually talking about the issues. And an important one at that.

March 27, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Elyse

I feel like there is a double standard when it comes to these pastors. (On a side note, I don't think we should be discussing people's pastors anway, religion doesn't belong in the race)

Some right-wing pastors can go out in public spewing hate by saying that homosexuals caused hurricane katrina, yet no one makes a big deal out of it. Whatever Reverand Wright has said is no different than what Hagee and others have "preached."

I'm a 22 year old white woman and I could care less what Reverand Wright has said. A person running for president should not be judged by their church.

March 27, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Ann Marie

Does this mean that anybody befriending and attending Rev. Wright's Church, John Hagee's Church and Rod Parsley's Church for the past 10 to 20 years, should not be allowed to become President of the United States? This is nonsense.

March 27, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Darrell

BO has some serious maneuvering to get this Wright stuff behind him. He will have to make another speech – explaining this man led him to Christ – and that alone deserved a lot of love and forgiveness and loyalty – even in spite of the ethnocentrism and black nationalism and anti-American rhetoric.. But Barach has got to acknowledge the racism of Wright as what it is, hate speech and racism.

March 27, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Linda

Anderson, I don't know why people don't recognize the fact that once again Barrack Obama is lying again, in his wonderful speech, the other day he was solidly behind the Rev. Wright but now on the View he is going to say that he would have left the church, ok Obama supports which is is he with the Rev. Wright, a close friend and mentor or once again what he would have done, just like the Iraq war, is is what he would have done if he was in Congress, he would have voted against the war, I wish people would wake up to all these contradictions before it is too late

March 27, 2008 at 10:13 pm |