March 27th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/27/08

Anderson anchors from Los Angeles again tonight.

We'll begin with breaking news. Barack Obama weighing in, again, on his former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, as ugly new statements associated with the reverend emerge.

Also tonight, the economy and what Democrats say they'll do to fix it.

And much more.

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and close the blog at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Michael

Enough already with Rev. Wright. Clinton and Obama both gave speechs today on the economy. Shouldn't that me more important than rehashing the Rev. Wright story again?

March 27, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  2. skywalker

hi anderson! great show!
    would just like to ask why the media makes a big deal of the mistakes of the candidates. they are politicians, yes, but they're human too. clinton, for example, is being crashed because of what she said about the bosnia trip. those things are not important! the media should scrutinize their policies so people will be more informed of that. its the one to look at to determine who is going to be fit for presidency.
    i hope that the american people will realize this.

March 27, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  3. Bolu

Chuck in Alabama,
    The adults and kids do not sit together in churches.. I see you guys have little idea about other races. You should attend a black church sometime. To assume that this tapes defines the whole sermon of the preacher for a span of 40 years is ignorant.

March 27, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  4. E.Bolton

Although i do not agree with Rev Wright ,why can't we all move on Sen Obama is trying to bring this country together but if this continues then America is going back instead of forward.

March 27, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  5. Miriam

Can you please give us the differences betwen Obama's plans and Hillary's plan. I heard the speeches but how are they really different?

March 27, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  6. Nik

to keep out of an argument isn't it suppose to be leave politics and relgion separete

March 27, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  7. David

I wonder what African American supporters of Obama would think if tapes of Hillary Clinton attending a church that spoke of African Americans in the same light that Rev Wright seems to have talked about others?

March 27, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  8. rick

I strongly believe that Pastor Wright needs apologize for his devisive statements. In fact, I think it would probably good, if he agreed to be part of the conversation on race. But first he must ask for the forgiveness of God and America.

March 27, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Holly, Wisconsin

I am impressed and I praise how the Obama campaign has handled the Rev. Wright controversy, but can't the public and the media let it go?! I would rather hear about the issues at hand: economy, the Iraq war, health care, etc. Rev. Wright is NOT running for office...Barack Obama is.

March 27, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  10. Phil of Guadalupe, Ca.

Hi Anderson and Erica,
    Always nice to see you both at 7:00 PM PDT.

You know what I come out of this whole Rev. Jeremiah Wright saga? I believe Mr. Obama is not the Messiah that neither he, nor his handlers, nor his followers all expect.

Yet returning to Sen. Obama, was this what Rev. Wright taught him; to disenfranchise voters who did not agree with him and hide behind the rules committee of the DNC?

Hope you have a good day. And believe me, if the Michigan legislature nor the Florida Legislature ok's a revote, we know who to blame it on and I will do it with my vote come November.

March 27, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  11. John

A Leopard can no longer lose their stripes than an elephant can lose it's nose. Obama has spent many years listening to the teachings of Wright and if he did not leave, he listened....and adopted. I'm a white male who worked for a large corporation which supported minority groups. I was asked to leave an open meeting for African Americans because a guest speaker did want to speak when I was present. So what is really going on?

March 27, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  12. Rachel

Enough already.......he responded to the issue and the polls show the American public support is high – higher than it was before the controversy. Stop talking about "the media" as if you're not the media – give us something new to talk about please.

March 27, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  13. Cassie

Any one who is a christian knows that no one has the right to judge before they judge themselves. We all are human we say things in the heat of the moment but regret later I am so tried of the jugement we put on people in general.

March 27, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  14. Jacob

Dear Anderson,

You asked on your program "what more can the Obama campaign can do"? The issue is not that Obama distancing himself from the "comments" of Wright. The problem is Obama "judgement" to seek out and choose this church with Wright as pastor and that Obama admits that he sat in the pews and heard some controversial comments.

Obama has made a central part of his campaign for the presidency that it is not so much experience that counts, but rather judgment. While experience is much more important than he would have the voters believe, he is right to focus on judgment as a critical factor in the determination as to whom should be our next president.

If Obama is the Democratic nominee, as he very well may be, then voters in November should ask themselves not how good his speech was, but rather what kind of judgment has he actually exhibited with respect to the deeply divisive views of the Rev. Wright.

March 27, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  15. janet

I believe this Rev. Wright issue just shows that Obama has poor judgement on who people are.

March 27, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  16. Emty

does anyone think it would hurt Obama to just NOT answer questions regarding Rev. Wright?

March 27, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar

You're right.... EJ in Ohio
    Not good idea..... bad news for him .........

March 27, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  18. Chuck in Alabama

Well, Candy, I want to know!!! His speech didn't answer anything, it just deflected the blame for racism in America onto white people.

March 27, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  19. Jersey Girl

Those who are no with Obama will find issue. Those who have sense, want to move on and get down to some issues. Can I hear a report about how his speech with the economy went in NY today??? I have seen clips from his visit on the View while in Ny....talking about Wright...continuing to ANSWER questions. HELLO!!!! He is being asked therefore HE HAS TO ANSWER...

LETS MOVE ON PEOPLE.....

March 27, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Sheryl

Don't you get it – I want to know how Obama will deal with issues. I don't care what else his minister said. Obama does not agree with Wright on these offensive topics – but you want him to crucify Wright, would that make the American people feel better. That when someone close to you has different opinions, ideas, etc. that we kick them out of our lives????

March 27, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  21. David

I am not satisfied with Obama's explanation of everything. His words contrast with his behavior-he remained a member of that church.
    The fact that Obama listened to these sermons and remained a paritioner makes this an important campaign issue. The press should NOT let up on this and should continue investigating it while discusses the other important issues.

March 27, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Terri - Canada

Bravo Jessica – you are so right...it's not the politics...it's that preachers act this way. Keep religion in the churches...and politics out of there.

March 27, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Dusten, SC

I thought that you go to church to worship God and not talk about politics and foreign policy. I think Rev. Wright needs to focus on sermons on how people can become better individuals rather than blame other people for what he sees as political injustices. He is a minister and not a politician.

March 27, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Rev Wright is learning what happens when your words are captured on video. Not that it makes it in any way ok, but why would he be video taping a service in the first place.

March 27, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  25. CLA

Clinton also gave several speeches on the economy, etc and can't get decent coverage of it.

I do, as I said above, believe that this speaks to his character and where his hopes and dreams might lead us and whom they might lead. He has ran his campaign on this and it is only fair that when this is the only issue that actually shows us anything about this it is open to discussion.

But YES, the media needs to also cover the issues. I have said this since day one, The media was the first to use race in this campaign by spinning Clinton's comments that Obama's view of the war was a fairy tale was racial. Also by spinning Hillary's remark that MLK was able to achieve his goals when Johnson signed them into law as racial. That was a historical fact – not a racial remark.

So here we are today and Barack does not like having the shoe on the other foot. He does not like that more and more people question his honesty concering just how much he agrees with his very close pastor.

March 27, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Miriam

Is Rev. Wright saying that he's sorry for what he said? Are we really supposed to believe that? That's a little hard to believe because you really can't change your core beliefs. I think he's just saying that to save Barack.

March 27, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  27. erica hilll

Good evening, bloggers.

PB, the breaking news about Sen Obama came in not long before showtime, which is why it leads the show but we ARE also talking economy because it is a huge story on the trail today. It's coming up next

March 27, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

I think that we are missing the importance of this story...I think this story is more important than this being merely Senator Obama's minister making controversial statements, I think that the important issue is that the churches are making political statements from the pulpit. Politics do not belong in churches and I wish that Senator Obama would come out and say that.

March 27, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Op2mstik2

I did not know Rev. Wright was running for president!!!! Oh I forgot Sen. Obama and Rev. Wright are the same persons.....................

March 27, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  30. EJ - Ohio

"I wish Rev. Wright would speak up…"

oh no – not a good idea. not a good idea

March 27, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Fay, CA

The media seems hell bent on continuing to fuel the Wright story. Obama has already explained his position on this issue–either people are going to buy that or they aren't. It's time to move on.

March 27, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Cassie

Anderson,

Why don't you ask if Rev. Wright will appear on your show to defend himself.

March 27, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Emty

you know, i'm sad that this has come to be such a big deal. Sen. Obama and Rev. Wright are two different people, and one shouldn't be responsible for the things the other says.

March 27, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Maia

I think this is really serious issue with pastor Wright. Irt is not easy to digest to many people. I myself was in a shock hearing his words. Too much hate, too much of fanatism. Too much of something which I did not even it exists .....it is scary.
    What will happen to people if Obama will be elected? Is he going to practice the teachings from his twisted church? How can we trust him?
    To me those words belong to past, not to this time. We should be beyond. Also, teaching hate brings hate, we should be talking about tolerance, living in tolerance and understanding.

March 27, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar

I am agree with you guys! Deborah and Cla

March 27, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Terri - Canada

Good Evening everyone...Anderson & Erica!!

It's about time Obama tackles the issue, then perhaps we can put this behind us and talk about other issues. here's hoping!!

Those letters are crazy though...very sad that those thoughts were written, thought...let alone said.

March 27, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Kim

I wish Rev. Wright would speak up... He's a former Marine, has served his country, run outreach programs and social programs. Why does he stay silent?

March 27, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Nik

well from what we have seen from obama hell work through this

March 27, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  39. EJ - Ohio

I had to laugh at that "lately he's been causing him a political headache like none he's experienced before"

It's true. Imagine your own pastor screwing your chances to become President.

I do believe Barack can survive this though.

March 27, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Chuck in Alabama

I don't care if Obama sat in church listening to hate speech for 20 years. My concern is that his children have been sitting beside him. How is taking your kids to listen to that sort of hate "Change?"

March 27, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  41. kathy in ohio

Obama and Wright are always going to be tied together forever end of story. This man is his surrogate father since his biological father left him. He was searching for identity (am I black am I white), a father, and a faith. He found all this at United Church of Christ. How can obama be the only in his church family to feel uncomfortable about these statements? He would have had to pretend , clap, alleluia, and amen to these comments to blend in with his congregation the all seem enthused by all these statements.

March 27, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  42. DeniseGA

Before everyone get their panties in a bunch, CNN Election senator stated, those words also were quotes!

I don't think the garic comment was, but you can't blame Obama for Wright!

March 27, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Brian Persaud

Looking forward to the show. Hope you can blog some more tonight, Anderson 😀

March 27, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Miriam

Hello Anderson and Erica! I have my dinner ready and i'm ready to comment!!

March 27, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  45. PB

Anderson,

Please don't let your show deteriorate into political dirt and drivel.

If the economy is the #1 issue (as shown on the graphic), why is the "Breaking News" section leading off with a video of Obama addressing the beaten-to-death issue about his pastor's statements?

March 27, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. ED R

Given the most recent statements by Rev. Wright, how much more about Barak Obama does the American People NOT know?

What else should you tell the American People about Sen. Obama?

WHO IS BARAK OBAMA?

March 27, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. CLA

Yes, I am concerned with Obama's relationship to Wright. He rose to great success and is running his campaign on his character, having claimed to be outside beltway politics and having not learned to lie yet. This does not speak well for his character. I find it impossible to believe that he could have shared such a close, personal relationship with someone that he considered close enough to be an uncle and not know what this man was about. Rev Wright absolutely runs a racially motivated, hate white and hate American church and I have a problem electing a president who hides behind Wright's perfectly times retirement. Also, the new pastor is no better. I believe that we have made such great strides in relationships between blacks and whites and this is just crumbling them.

I am also concerned about his children and other young children sitting in that church listening to the hateful message that is being delivered. This is terrible to put in their minds. I believe that Martin Luther King would be so dismayed to see where Wright has set us back to.

March 27, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar

Hi Anderson and Erica........
    That is not good news for Obama........ not again Jeremiah Wright!

March 27, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Deborah Bell

Sen. Obama gave a very important speech about the economy today and all you want to talk about is Rev. Wright. Rev. Wright is not running for ANYTHING! I can only imagine what people around the world must think about the intelligence of our media...NOT GOOD! There are respected theologians who have praised Rev. Wright for his ability to preach the gospel and his work to make our communities better. Why not invite some of them to your show? The pastor of Clinton's church when she and her husband lived in Washington would be a good start. Get to the real issues PLEASE!!

March 27, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. srini

gettin my popcorn ready-lookin forward to a good show anderson/erica..... you better keep them honest-lol

March 27, 2008 at 10:00 pm |