March 19th, 2008

Up Close and on the Trail

We are in the plane on our way to spend a day on the trail with Senator Barack Obama. The campaign has promised us unprecedented behind-the-scenes access with the Senator as he gives a speech on Iraq in Fayetteville, North Carolina and then travels to Charlotte for a town-hall event.

In between events Senator Obama will sit down for a one-on-one interview with Anderson.Most viewers are used to seeing candidates in formal settings, hearing soundbites, and reading recaps of highly orchestrated official campaign events. Seeing what actually goes into a day on the trail should be revealing.

We will take you with us as we go backstage and up close with the candidate on the trail. We will be with the Senator before he delivers an important address on the war in Iraq as the 5 year anniversary is upon us.After the event in Fayetteville the six of us traveling for the show will board the Obama press plane and fly with the Obama staff to Charlotte, North Carolina and see first-hand the questions voters have for the candidate.

The day will end with our live show at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte.The day will end with our live show at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte.

We love doing the show from campus locations because we inevitably draw a large crowd of curious, energetic students and young adults. It should be an apt end to a day on the trail with Barack Obama.– Diana Miller, 360° Producer

Program Note: Watch Anderson’s report from North Carolina, on the campaign trail with Barack Obama, tonight on 360° 10p ET

Filed under: AC360° Staff • Behind The Scenes • Raw Politics
  1. Hazel Shepps

Barock Obama condemed his paster's words and then made excuses for him. He threw his grandmother under the bus and called Wright family.Obama is a wonderfull speeker he can move one to tears but i thing he is one of those guy's that could sell you the
    Brooklyn Bridge.No one is blameing him for his pastors words but he kept going back,that was bad judgement.Is Mrs Obama not proud of her country because she listened to Wright for twenty years?I sure can see the conection ,can we take a chance on Obama ? I think we can not.

March 19, 2008 at 8:25 pm |
  2. Janna

I would love to see Anderson press him to elaborate PAST the answers we have seen again and again at the debates and in speeches. I'm hoping for a true 360 view of Obama's plans concerning the actual issues. And please send my best wishes to Anderson regarding his recovery, Thank you!

March 19, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  3. katiec

Anderson,
    Will you conduct your findings and impressions with integrity or will it be the sensationalizing, distorting as usual??

It would be a miracle to see a commentator actually report with
    accuracy and openess.
    Hey, maybe you could start a new fad. Be a unbiased, truthful
    reporter. They say styles recirculate. Maybe we could get back
    to the good ole days,
    katie

March 19, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  4. Cindy

Anderson, hope all is well. I'm hoping you might be able to help steer America's concerns back into the campaign where it should be. I don't feel as though it is anyone's business where Obama goes to church, who baptized his children or married him, just as it is nobody's business what a person's sexual preference is or what faith he/she is. The democratic party needs to focus on the issues and start judging Obama for "his words" not someone elses.

My vote, will remain with Obama. I for one think he still has the character and judgement needed to be commander and chief.

March 19, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  5. Jan from Wood Dale, IL

First, I want to applaud Anderson and the 360 team on their recent award. You have shown courage and integrity in your reporting on various social issues that exist in not only America, but in other parts of the world.

You have used your medium to bring awareness to various issues. Obama is now using his presidential campaign. My question for Obama is, what has taken him so long? He now admits he has been aware of the underlying anger that still exists, but why hasn't he taken a more active and constructive role in providing solutions to some of these problems.

Having volunteered much of my time to various social issues, I realize the wheels of progress move slowly. Senator Obama has had 12 years to take a more active stand on various social issues, but has chosen to wait until now. I remain more suspect of his timing then of his sincerity.

March 19, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  6. Mike, Arkansas

Hey Anderson, hope the healing goes well with the cancer.

Obama... I am for him totally. Love all the plans he has for the issues lined out on his website. I would like to see him explain his plans to the media, so it will get to the people. He has wonderful excellent ideas and even though he has had some setbacks. Its nothing near compared to the things Hillary has done. By the way when will Hillary be asked to explain her past and Present (john paul) scandals? Obama is always questioned about his what about hers? I think she needs to start being accountable for things too!! Time to pull all the stops!

March 19, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  7. Lilibeth

Sounds like you'll be very busy, Diana! I look forward to seeing your day on the campaign trail with Mr. Obama. Should be interesting to see the inner workings of what goes on...on the road with the candidate. I didn't expect Anderson to interview him today...that was unexpected and a nice surprise. He was out for the last couple of days...I thought he was on vacation or something. I later found (from his blog) that he had minor surgery. Since I missed his blog (I was at the doctor's office myself), please send him my best wishes for a speedy recovery. I look forward to the show tonight!

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

March 19, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  8. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Perhaps, next time an invitation to follow John McCain around for a day could be on tap for AC360. He's running for President too.
    I look forward to your report tonight.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

March 19, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  9. stephanie h, brooklyn, ny usa

greetings miss miller:
    I look forward to tonight's program. What is the hardest thing about being on the road with the candidates? I hope the conversation and dialogue on race continues to be open and engaging as we try to select a new leader for the country.
    S/

PS Off Topic: Has anyone seen the newest print ads for Brooks Brothers? One of the photos looks ripped off from a photo of Anderson Cooper, his late brother and father, and his mom, Gloria Vanderbilt. It was sort of creepy and cheap in my opinion.

March 19, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  10. Roland Wright

Until yesterday's speech, I was a skeptic of Mr. Obama's candidacy especially because, as an African-American myself, I do not want to waste another precious vote being swayed by someone who's just like all of the rest of the politicians of this generation, but this time from my side of the racial divide. That being said, I am now thoroughly convinced that Senator Obama's the "genuine article" and I echo David Gergen's sentiments that he communicates to us in the public as adults and with sincerity. I pray the media will give those qualities revealed on yesterday the equal efforts and energies they expend relentlessly looking to uncover and highlight any potential character flaws.

March 19, 2008 at 1:45 pm |
  11. Tracy

You're forcing me to watch Fox News just so I can get unbiased reporting on the campaign.
    I won't be watching the Obama adulation segment tonight.
    The lovefest over Obama is sickening.

March 19, 2008 at 1:44 pm |
  12. Dorothy Grandbois

Anderson,

In response to Obama's s speech and recent controversy I just want to site a quote by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." This quote puts this controversy in context for me and I am support his stand on his belief in this matter, even though I may not fully agree with him. This is America!

Sincerely, Dorothy

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

March 19, 2008 at 1:41 pm |
  13. joe

Does anyone care about giving Hillary equal time? Does anyone from any network choose to be "fair and balanced" in the coverage of this campaign?

March 19, 2008 at 1:32 pm |
  14. Aruna

I wonder why Obama did not choice UNC Chapel Hill or Duke university as one of his stops. Is it because Fayettville and Charlotte has more Black population then these two camps.
    Anderson please change the name of you program to" OBAMA 360"

WELCOME TO NC

March 19, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  15. Paris

Anderson, last night’s program was the most bias coverage I have ever seen in my life.
    Does CNN executives watch any of this? This can’t be good for a reputable new agency!!
    You should call the program “ObamaElection HQ”.

March 19, 2008 at 1:01 pm |
  16. Carole

Hello Diana,
    I really appreciate and look forward to your Anderson Cooper's 360 show.He really is the first person who has made the news that he reports as honest as he can. It is so refreshing to have this kind of news program as opposed to others. I plan my evening around it. HA!
    I was so happy to see that he is traveling with Obama on a day of campaigning in NC. Really something to look forward to that reporting.

In addition we look forward ,and a refreshing look it is, to Barak Obama being our next President. We also wonder if he would consider AC as a VP?? Not a bad idea! LOL

I am a White Grandmother who is 75 years old so I have lived thru several experiences of my life and in the history of this country. I was so proud of the speech which Senator Obama gave on Race yesterday. To handle all this currently happening proves that he certainly can work "across the aisles and divides".

Regarding the Pastor Wright controversy and the explosive video clip, there is a silent minority , or maybe not so silent ,who do not feel proud that we, the US, used the nuclear bombs against Japan, such a useless, arrogant, decision. Yes, and I lost family members in the Second WW. So, theres a lot of history that we really are not so proud of.

While I am spouting I would like to mentiion a "silent minority" of this country who we have tucked away very inappropriately, but as long as they stay silent we don't have to treat that in an honest way, do we?
    We certainly are a country of classes, and to my suprise or not really, Senator Obama mentioned the Native American in his speech yesterday, so please tell AC to "KEEP EM HONEST".

I'm sure you're wondering how I chose you to mention all this. I think the reason is that your show, 360, is so unique and elicits deep feelings and opinions that I feel free to expose.

Thanks for listening.
    Carole – Ft. Lauderdale

March 19, 2008 at 12:50 pm |
  17. Dee from Texas

I thank CNN and Anderson for giving Barack this ticket to the public. He is the one who has been shunned by the media. The media seems to be only looking for bad things to say about Barack for over a month. Why? Because they see that he is really winning. It is sad, and many need to be ASHAME of themselves to the public and their own children and grandchildren.

March 19, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  18. Delphine in Paris

I hope everything is alright for you, Anderson!

We won’t probably see your Senator Obama’s coverage on CNN International tonight. They will only air the Special “Shock & Awe: 5 years later”, and I am really looking forward watching it!
    Thanks in advance to Mister Podcast (or to whoever edits it!), and with the transcript, I will have my fix of Obama’s news tomorrow morning!

To all the staff and reporters, wherever you are, Iraq or NC, stay safe!

March 19, 2008 at 11:18 am |
  19. Annie Kate

Hi Diana

You couldn't have picked a prettier state to go around with Obama in. Although the cities you mention aren't in the mountains but are in the piedmont area of the state, its still lovely there. I'm looking forward to a behind the scenes look at the campaign. Perhaps with all those youthful energetic students you can find out what they think the issues of the day are. That would be an interesting perspective as well – I get wound up in what I think th issues are and forget that someone else might prioritize different issues.

Thanks for giving us this opportunity to see this aspect of the election process.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

March 19, 2008 at 10:53 am |
  20. Ken Herrera

Obama vs Clinton:
    I live in Indiana and I am planning to show my support for Obama on May 5th in the polls.
    My Comment is this:
    John King CNN used to show a map of realistic numbers on how people are voting. What's more interesting, is John King showed an “example” utlizing the map on how it is virtually impossible for Hillary Clinton to win the delegate count (which in her words, were most important-early on) on the States which have not voted yet.
    my question is this:
    Why is CNN no longer talking about the inevitable outcome should Hillary even win 60-40 in the States left as stil being behind in total Delegates still?
    My opinion:
    I give Credit to the Clintons for their optomistic and aggresive style of campaigning. However, why is Hillary still drumming up money from supporters whom she has convinced she will be the nominee, when all mathmatical indications prove…she will not be!
    Bottom Line:
    I belive it’s the responsibility of CNN and other newspeople to report the statistics more often of the inevitable odds Hillary Clinton faces to become the Democratic Nominee.

March 19, 2008 at 10:33 am |
  21. Cindy

Looking forward to the show tonight. I wasn't sure if it'd be live or not. Thanks for the update. Hopefully Anderson's time with Obama can clear up some of the lingering doubts that people have.

Cynthia, Covington, Ga.