March 19th, 2008

Obama on controversy

I just finished interviewing Senator Obama, we talked at length about lingering questions surrounding Reverend Wright, as well as how he thinks the controversy has hurt him.

Here is a brief exchange:
_________________

Anderson Cooper:
“How badly do you think this has– has damaged you?  Obviously you've been taking it very seriously over the last couple days.  I mean, you've been very available to the media.  You made this speech yesterday.  How much has it hurt?  'National Review online' says, you know, bottom line, will the speech help you win white working-class voters?”

ALT TEXT

Anderson Cooper interviews Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama on (and above) the campaign trail as they fly to Charlotte, North Carolina. Watch the interview tonight on 360° 10p ET

Sen. Barack Obama:
“Well, you– you know– one of the things I said early on in this campaign was if– if I was just running the textbook campaign– doing the conventional thing, I probably wasn't gonna win because Senator Clinton was gonna be much more capable of doing that than I would be.  We had tremendous success– and I think we were starting to get a little comfortable and conventional right before Texas and Ohio.  And, you know, in– in some ways this– this controversy has actually shaken me up a little bit and gotten me back into remembering that– the odds of me getting elected have always been– lower than– than some of the other conventional candidates...”

“...And if I bring something to this conversation, it's gonna be because I do what I did yesterday, which is hopefully open up new conversation about a new direction of the country.  As a practical matter in terms of– how this plays out demographically, I can't tell you.  I don't know. "

_________________

I'd blog more but our plane is just taking off, we're heading to Charlotte...see you from there tonight.

– Anderson Cooper

1. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,

Hi. Welcome back. I'm sorry to hear your time off was spent for medical reasons. I hope you continue to do well.

I look forward to your interview with Sen. Obama and broadcast from North Carolina. I've been a little surprised that the controversy with Obama and Rev. Wright's comments became so serious. (I don't know why–I've heard statements made in churches I've attended which I've disagreed with–but have never heard his kind of rhetoric.)
    I was impressed with Obama's speech yesterday. He has a gift for speaking, obviously, but his calmness, reasoning, and the fact that he addressed it thoroughly, stood out.

See you tonight. . .

March 19, 2008 at 7:03 pm |
  2. aliou salam

Three words define Obama as a candidate: Vision, Management, Courage.

Visionary: As a visionary, this man has had the forethought of living not only his white life, but endeavored to live a Black life to shape his opinion of the American people.

He was a white kid until his parents told him he was not. At which time, the grand father told him to go out there and find out what a Black man is.

Among the black churches: He chose one that we all were proud of until we wanted to use it against Obama. In my baptist church, I don't know how many things the pastor said that I disagree with but that didn't make me quit the church.
    Clinton didn't have the wisdom to oppose this war since it made her look good at the time to vote with Bush.
    Clinton and all those who are promoting this stupidity against the free speech of the Rev. should just take a breather.

Management: Barack Obama has managed his campaign brilliantly, against all odds against him in the start.
    Clinton is now falling back on Florida and MI to save her from the underdog position she put herself in due to her own mismanagement. We see in her just released archives how she spent zillions of days of schedule on the health care reform, that went to nowhere.

Courage: Obama has an unprecedented courage. He voted against this war when it was not fashionable, and when it could have ended his career, a run for the senate.

He removed his name from the elections lists when it was decided that these votes would not count, because he didn't want to encourage voters to disobey the party.

Clinton left her name and encouraged voters to vote for her. she justified it by saying it looked good, even though it was a beauty contest.

Now she says it is obama's fault that there is a stalemate in FL and MI?

She amazes me each time with her candor. Nothing in her mind is out of bounds if it is to her advantage.

Clinton is snobbing the rest of the voters in this nation.

Days after days, she spent time on the healthcare without getting anything done.
    she likes to appear busy, nothing that should be done is important, only the appearance of it is good for her image.

March 19, 2008 at 7:02 pm |
  3. maggie

Anderson, with each passing day, we find something new that we didn't know about Obama. I begged people months ago to take it easy because we didn't know enough about him...but their fervor continues. Now I can say, "I told you so!"

He has lied on several occasions...re: "I wasn't in the pew when any of this was said"...and then, "Was I there?" "Yes"

How about the NAFTA/Canada thing. We all heard him say..when asked about one of his operatives speaking with a Canadian official...."It never happened!" Then later... "Yes it did happen."

He's also telling tales about his stand on the war, too. There is proof that he has changed his position several times...since his "I'm against it" speech!

Face it. He's a liar and an opportunist and I think his goose is cooked!

We can only hope that the superdelegates come to the rescue of the US...After all, this is a perfect example of why they were created in the first place!

March 19, 2008 at 7:02 pm |
  4. Dee

I sincerely hope this controversery will inspire more black ministers
    to raise the level of their message to include the will of God.
    Their personal comments on news events have no place in the pupit. They have a responsibility to lift the down trodden and raise the hopes of the hopeless. At my chruch we always begin by praying for the family, the community, the nation and (most of all )guidance for the President. If Rev. Wright truly knew and believed the word of God;he would know that according to scripture,"You shall have what you say".
    It would be much more pastoral for him to pray for blessings for America. Any reasonable, thinking, god-fearing person knows that we are all in the same boat. Let us not curse the wind and the waves,but row for shore together. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!

March 19, 2008 at 7:01 pm |
  5. Marti

If Obama's "major" speech was so important, it should have been given a few months ago, not as a way to pacify voters after videos of Rev. Wright hit the internet and news broadcasts. At first Obama denied hearing any inflammatory sermons, yet in his speech, he said he had heard these things. It was kind of like when he denied the Canadian meeting about NAFTA, and later said it did happen. Or when he said he only knew Tony Rezko through working about 5 hours as a member of a law firm representing Rezko, when in fact, Obama has known him for about 20 years, and Rezko has been a major campaign contributor.

Will the real Obama please stand up? This campaign strategy of denial at the first hint of bad judgement, and then admitting the bad judgement with a slick speech is getting old. The only "change" I've seen is a different politician with the same old tactics. The only "hope" I've seen is Obama's hope that people will over-look his bad judgement and lies.

March 19, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  6. william

The press can slobber over Obama all they want, but his chances of winning the presidency are slim to none. His speech was smoke,and mirrors. As usual the racist reverends remarks were all the evil whiteman fault.

March 19, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  7. Hypocrites

I find it interesting that all of a sudden these holier-than-thou critics seem to claim that NOBODY IN THEIR LIVES has said anything that can be viewed as racist. Get real people! There are plenty of people in my family, my blood, who have said things that are completely unacceptable about other races. Does that make me a racist because I didn't kick them out of my lives? No!

And, I think everyone knows that if Rev Wright gave this type of slanted racially charged sermon every Sunday his church would be empty. Am I excusing his comments. Not at all! They're ridiculous and more importantly – inappropriate for church. But the media and Obama's critics are running with this foolishness and its unbelievable!

March 19, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  8. Dominique

I live you Anderson, we hope that you are well now. Thanks for keeping a watchful eye on my favorite President to be. Barack is exceptional, and we are lucky to be able to see a day when someone with his integrity and competence will fight for the rights of all American citizens.

March 19, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  9. Linda

I hope this comment isn't moderated out of existence, as so many others have been.

The comment that Obama should have just changed churches has me puzzled.

Going to church is a full social experience. Sometimes you will probably disagree with your minister, whether it's the content of the sermon or the way he/she administers the church. But you stay because you have friends and a "spiritual home." This is certainly true for Senator Obama, especially since Trinity was the church that awakened his spirituality.

I don't believe Rev. Wright made a habit of spewing hatred. I do believe he is an educated man who sometimes said the wrong thing. So he who is without sin can cast that first stone.

And why is this even a topic for a presidential candidate? Let's get back to talking about health care, education, the economy, Iraq. Today Obama put forth a specific plan for getting out of Iraq. Did anyone here read it?

March 19, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  10. ranga

I am a neutral observver since I am a new immigrant and can not vote. However Barack Obama attracted me because I saw him as an agent of change in the vitriolic environment of the election campaign. I admire his background, his statesman like demeanor, campaigning and evident leadership skills.

But of late, pastor wright's controversy and his roumored apathy towards Michigan and Florida primaries and his lack of following amongst the core constituency of blue collared workers are chipping away from this image of a statesman.

He should focus on becoming a statesman rather than compromise and be seen as any other corrupt, flip flopping politician. If it means losing this election cycle so be it. He will surely be in power in 2012 because John McCain will not prove up to the mark as the new president of USA in 2008.

If I were Obama, I would build up my case by focussing on and documenting every thing I can to improve this country through my senate office, I would set up and head organizations to involve every american of school and college age in communty service and create a center to encourage discourse about democracy and racial and social equality and justice.

March 19, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  11. Mike

Obama's speech just proves that the racial double standard is alive and well. Imus makes a bad JOKE and Al Sharpton is out picketing. Rev. Wright spews racial hatred and anti-American comments from the pulpit, and we all are supposed to understand lingering black anger over...wait for it...slavery. Well slavery ended over 140 years ago. Get over it already! Isn't racism still racism if it comes out of a black mouth instead of a white one? The 'you need to understand black churches' excuse is bull too. If this is what is typical in black churches it's time to yank their tax exempt status. I'm sure Obama would love to just get past this and get to the 'real' issues. Well, I have news for you, this IS a real issue. Who you associate with, who advises you, and how they act is definitely pertinent to your qualifications to be president. Keep digging CNN, there's more out there. Oh, and what about the elephant in the living room? Are you really going to tell me that Obama is getting 90% of the black vote and race isn't a factor in those votes? You need an electron microsope to see any difference between Clinton and Obama's positions. They are splitting all the other demographics nearly 50/50, except the black vote, so race sure is a factor.

March 19, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  12. Calvin Robinson

I really wish he would have spent less time trying to defend his pastor and more time explaining the relevance of Liberation Theology for all americans at this hour. Because the magic that has stirred so many hearts is the magic of liberation theology. He inherited it from Jeremiah, but he universalized it and identified the new oppressor, OUR GOVERNMENT! He saw all of us as "the oppressed" and used jeremiah's teachings to try and bring us around. Had he explained it like this there would be more supporet. Let jeremiah take the heat. Save the theology!

His problem is that he doesnt know himself well enough to understand how he was able to sit there for 20 years. Itr's quite simple. What he was learning was the method by which people are brought up in dignity and empowered to persevere even through the hard times. It's an overcomer's theology.

calvin

March 19, 2008 at 6:55 pm |
  13. EJ - Ohio

How come when black people are involved in certain crimes we see on the news or when we hear the negative statistics regarding teenage pregnancy, lower incomes, single parent families, prison population, drug abuse – as it relates to different black communities – why don't we hear people coming out and asking "Well what percentage of those people actually have 1 white parent?" That would really bring down the numbers as several individuals would be half black & half white (not really African American?) and then the statistics wouldn't be so disappointing... right?

Why is it only when blacks achieve a great success – such as being a strong nominee for the President of the United States – that some want to make sure its known that he is half white?

I really do not understand.

March 19, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  14. a person

My Italian American grandmother told me one time that the one big problem in this country was black people. I can tell you that I had the same visceral reaction that senator Obama had. I really think that Obama did a great thing in that speech. Yes, he will bring out all of the beasts in white people's closet. I can see it all coming out.
    But those beasts need to be put away. And white people do have a responsibility to look at the issues. Don't just judge Obama becuase of his skin color.
    And how can white working class males be in love with the Clintons? They are filled with scandal. Hillary has no style. Her personality is less interesting than a doorknob. And McCain might wake up one morning and forget that he is President.
    This is a no-brainer! Vote Obama.
    He gives good speeches, and that counts for me. I guess Clinton and McCain supporters like BORING speeches.
    And I don't see any substance in Hillary's records that were just released.... hmmm.... for a lady of action, I can't even name one thing she did in the Senate or in the White House.

March 19, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  15. Chris, Santa Cruz, CA

Anderson, I hope you asked Barack if he practices or believes in black liberation theology because that is the theology taught by Pastor Wright at Trinity. Given that Barack was a parishoner for 20 years, it's a pretty good guess that he is. If that is true, then Barack is not the person he is presenting himself to be in the presidential race. And, that is the bottom line question about him. Who is he and what does he really believe? It's hard to find it credible that he attended a church for 20 years that teaches a black segregationist philosophy and doesn't subscribe to that life philosophy. If he really doesn't believe it, then he has used his church and pastor to advance his politicial ambition and by it earn some credibility in the black community. Whichever it is, he is not being honest in his campaign. Most of the entries here are incredibly naive and so is your coverage of Obama as is most of the cable and mainstream media. And, I say this as a very progressive liberal. Democrats are going to again nominate someone for president who can't win the general election-Obama. If McCain wins, Democrats will have to suck it up for at least four more years and it won't be any one's fault except our own.

March 19, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  16. Pat

I wonder what Obama’s church has done to try and HEAL the racial divide? I don’t think the white bashing is working. This is a question of Obama’s JUDGMENT in attending a “black liberation” church along with his family of two, young impressionable children. This type of “religion” only perpetuates hate.

March 19, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  17. Elizabeth

On Fri, Sen. Obama said that he had not heard the statements contained in the videoclips (from 9/01, 7/07, and 12/07 sermons, I believe) and that if that had been the tenor of Wright's sermons, or the church itself, he would have left the congregation. - On Tues, he said (complete quote): "Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered CONTROVERSIAL while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely – just as I’m sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed. [Paragraph break] But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm WEREN'T SIMPLY CONTROVERSIAL. They weren’t simply a religious leader’s effort to speak out against perceived injustice. Instead, they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country"

There is no lie. He heard Rev. Wright make *controversial* remarks; he did not hear him make the *more than controversial* remarks on the video clips that amounted to "profound distortions" Unfortunately, most of the media stops the quote or vido clip at the paragraph break, but if you read Obama's own statements, it's very clear what he is saying, and it is consistent on both days.

March 19, 2008 at 6:51 pm |
  18. Danielle

I look forward to seeing this. Yesterday, Obama offered us a challenge to rise above tabloid politics and become better Americans. It is my solemn prayer that people will hear his very Christian, very American message.

March 19, 2008 at 6:49 pm |
  19. kim laske

Shame on Obama. Shame on Reverend Wright. Obama is excellent at rhetoric...he has won over millions with his plan for "change". But that is an EMPTY WORD. What are his views on substantive issues?? The man has voted "present" 130 times in the Senate...is he afraid to take a stand? Obviously.

March 19, 2008 at 6:48 pm |
  20. Cyd D. Thompson

I am so sick and tried of an all white panel talking about the Black Church. It has been said that Sunday mornings are the most segregated time in this nation.
    If Barak O'Bama had rejected Jeremiah Wright it would be said that his actions were 20 years too late.
    Since he choose to try to explain his actions the (fear-mongers) are trying to say that it was a good speech but not good enough.
    Yes, there is a double standard in America...but it was America who chose to make a difference between whites and blacks. White America will never fully grasp the indignities of African Americans. Rev. Wright has done much good in his years of ministry, and to reduce it down to 30 second sound bites is so unfair, oh but this is America.

March 19, 2008 at 6:47 pm |
  21. nevada for obama

Obama threw a challenge to America, especially white America, and asks us to look in the mirror and have a check up from neck down and ask ourselves this question, how has my treatment of others contributed to Rev . Wright's damnning of America? When I was sitting at the diner table and my parents were speaking about blacks in a derogatory way what did I do to educate them about race and humanity in general?

If the Government of United States appologized for Tusgegge veneral disease experiment using black people, shouldn't black people have the right to distrust the Government about how the epidemic of HIV which was confined to homosexuals in 1981, all of a sudden spread like wild fire and disproportionately affected blacks. I'm not saying that Government did anything , but blacks have the right to wonder aloud.

Instead of thanking Obama for having the courage to look all AMERICANS in the eyes and telling us what we don't want to hear which is the truth, some are spending their time insulting , and calling him names.There is a Rev. White in most white people ( except Obama supporters lol!) but they are so foolish to admit it. Guilt by association is a non stater unless of course you are a useless hatemonger, in which case no body including Jesus can help you. Vote Obama for he is your true chance of joining real humanity, of love, unity and peace in the universe. If this election is open to the rest of the world, OBAMA will win in a blowout. Don't take my word for it check it out .

March 19, 2008 at 6:47 pm |
  22. Mike in Oklahoma

Senator Obama. It takes great courage to confront racism from our enemies. It takes even greater courage to confront racism from our friends. If you challenged your friend Dr. Wright on his racism, and he failed to heed your challenge and mend his ways, you should have saved your honor and disassociated yourself and your family from him. You did not. You brought him closer to you. You hold him closer still. We choose our friends Senator. Remember, people will judge you by the friends you keep. This voter finds your judgement seriously lacking.

March 19, 2008 at 6:46 pm |
  23. Hillaryspeaksforus@gmail.com

ATTENTION DEBBIE

Please Give me a break.. What does one thing have to do with another?

Hillary Clinton has been slammed and slandered for the better part of 15 years. Some of it was true some of it was exaggerated; but most of it was completely made up to try to discredit her.

If Sen. Obama want to be the leader of the Free World... he need to grow a thicker skin...He had to know this was coming and he should have either nipped it in the bud last year.. Or he should have been prepared. Either way not yet ready for prime time or fit to be POTUS!

I AM A FORMER OBAMA BLACK CHRISTIAN SUPPORTER!

March 19, 2008 at 6:44 pm |
  24. Kenny Huynh

I was undecided and leaning toward Barrack Obama of his Change message. But after I watched his first interview with Anderson Cooper, he lied to Anderson outright about not knowing the racist remarks before January; now he admits. Obama is just another politician.

March 19, 2008 at 6:43 pm |
  25. Judy

Anderson,
    I find it very disconcerting that a man who wants to be the next President didn't see fit to distance himself from the "hate monger," he calls "his Uncle." It only makes you wonder how this"vile opportunist pastor" has influenced someone who everyone perceived to be so "real." I am truly disappointed in Obama, no matter what his own spin is to you about Pastor Wright.
    When you asked him the other night, would he sing "God Bless America," he laughed and said, "Well, not right now I wouldn't," and you didn't press him further. We were all left wondering, during this perfect opportunity, "If not now when? Would you sing God Bless America under different circumstances?"

March 19, 2008 at 6:42 pm |
  26. Debbie, Denham Springs, LA

If the poor man isn't being accused of being a Muslim, then he's being accused of being racist. Guilt by association. It doesn't prove anything. He just can't get a break. You know, my grandmother was one of my mentors and she inspired me a great deal. But she made racist remarks from time to time that made my skin crawl. But she wasn't evil and I loved her anyway. I think Mr. Obama finds himself in the same situation and I feel for him. And I think he has handled this whole witch hunt with diginity and I respect him for it.

March 19, 2008 at 6:22 pm |
  27. Astute Observer

The back story is being missed. Racial/ethnic relations is no longer bipolar. The black/white thing is passing rapidly, though the Wrights will try to keep it going as it is the only construct they know or are comfortable with. America is becoming more diverse. In my school district the kids come from homes speaking 43 different languages. The Asian-, East Asisan-, Latino-Americans (the latter from 30 different countries); folks from the "-stan" countries, corners of Europe you couldn't find on a map (or pronounce if you could); folks from the Islands; etc. etc.

Racial/ethnic relationship paths have grown geometricly. This is a last gasp of those who need to cling to the old model.

March 19, 2008 at 6:22 pm |
  28. Pat B.

Sorry but I don't want my President going to a church whose pastor yells "God Damn America." I'm funny that way. It just goes against my grain.

March 19, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  29. Annabelle Echo

AC:
    I definitely have some misgivings about Obama’s judgment especially when there are so many churches to choose from in Hyde Park. Obama was my next door neighbor. Let’s even say I’m in agreement with his pastor in as much as I sometimes have doubts about the way certain stories are under reported and some over reported. Maybe he decided to stay with the congregation because I remember that not too long ago Obama was accused of not being “black enough” when he wanted the African American vote when he ran for Congress.
    Anyway I just want to leave a personal note: I’m sorry you had to have surgery yet relieved that you aren’t in Iraq. Please wear one of those dorky CNN baseball hats whenever you report in sunshine…

March 19, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  30. Peter

Now i know a bit more about Obama.

He's the man who has been following a pastor for past 20 years who spits so much venom in the minds of the people.

And when the water starts flowing under his feet, simply escapes by saying he doesn't support his pastor?

I expected a lot more from Obama, but turned out be to another politician.

March 19, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  31. Murry

I believe that Senator Obama has displayed how a true President should speak to his fellow Americans – He speaks from his heart and soul and not from a blue lined paper. I wasn't able to listen to Senator Obama's speach in it's entirety, but read it instead. I became emotional just reading the speach. It made me look back at my teenage years how prejudice my dad was. Some of the things he used to say would never be tolerated in this day & age. But he was my dad & I could never and would never disown my father. I was born and raised a Catholic. I certainly don't believe all the teachings they preach. I didn't go to church for a couple of weeks because I didn't like the priests sermons, they were boring, they had no meaning, & to top it off, he was gay. After giving it more thought, I realized that I wasn't going to church to necessarily listen to the priest, I was going because I wanted to thank God for everything I has been blessed with- family, friends, my job, my health. Senator Obama – hang in there! I wish you the best, you're in our prayers daily.

March 19, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  32. Cheryl, RI

Know what would be really great? If a candidate didn't cut someone loose because of what he/she said. (alla Geraldine Ferraro too). If you don't agree with what someone is saying, fine say you don't agree with that particular view. It just seems to me that it comes across very disingenuous when candidates 'distance' themselves from anyone that says something controversial.

March 19, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  33. Clinton 2008

Anderson.. I don't understand. The Wright Controversy has less to do with race relations and almost all to do about Hate and bad judgment.

Sen. Obama has completely changed the subject to RACIAL RELATIONS IN AMERICA. Which in my opinion means; PLAYING THE RACE CARD?

During your "Guilty by Association" interview w/ Sen Obama, he outright lied to you when you asked him if he was present or if he knew about Wright's remarks or sermons.

Sen Obama had to know that Wright and Farrakhan visited Khadafy in Libya together; and when they came back an award was given to Farrakhan for greatness... or Whatever.

I understand that the Senator is shaken up; he should be because he made a terrible judgment call by keeping Wright on his campaign staff and then lying about what he knew to you and to other journalists.

IM Sorry I just don’t buy it!

March 19, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  34. J. Thomas

TO ALL DEMOCRATS:

Can we get it together people? I never thought that the choice between Obama or Hillary, (...both very good candidates might I add) who represent a party that has so much in common with the MAJORITY of the american people would be the cause of the democratic party losing the general election, but I'm starting to see that this could be true. I read blogs and hear people saying, and I quote from this blog none the less "as i have said i will not vote for him(Obama) if it comes down to it i will vote for McCain."

On the contrary, I've also heard Obama supporters say that if Hillary wins that they would vote for McCain also. I think this is rediculous
    child-like behavior when deep in the bottom of our hearts we know we would much rather have the opposite candidate of our choice in office than McCain.

Hillary and Obama have similar plans for America only with minor discrepancies, but all include a more prosperous middle class.They stand for the very things that made you a democract in the first place. But guess what!!?? McCain doesn't stand for democratic values so I'm confused to why you would vote Republican just because the democrat of your choice is not the front runner. Are we children? Have we resulted to acting rebellious just because we can't have things our way? Or are we responsible adults who know that Hillary or Obama would focus on the economy more instead of pumping billions into a war?

...With that being said, Excellent speech Sen. Obama!

And Anderson I hope your operation was a success!!

March 19, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  35. o lord

Conventional candidate.....more humor in uniform....I am so tired of Obama and his feel sorry for me rhetoric. I cannot understand for the life of me what makes him think he is so different than any of the other candidates . Dare to tell the truth?

March 19, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  36. Jay

Anderson, I believe you are working hard for grassroots. Thank you.

March 19, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  37. R.A. Seaborn Clemson, SC

AWESOME!!! Totally AWESOME! I am proud to be an AmeriCAN! You have my vote Obama.

March 19, 2008 at 6:14 pm |
  38. Hope

Obama's problems come from within. This is not about all of us being stupid when it comes to race. Most of us have lived many years adjusting to the way life is and that is a mix of many different people. His lying about one thing, then fessing-up when caught, Rezko, Canada meeting, the "uncle mentor", this is all a pattern. He lies and lies again, and then tries to distract us by giving a speech. How dumb do you think we are? Why not a press conference where the real people can ask you real questions. Kind of face the nation type deal? You are afraid of this because then you are caught again lying. A LIAR IS ALWAYS A LIAR AND OBAMA CANNOT BE TRUSTED!

March 19, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  39. Paris

He knew what Wright was saying was wrong but he did NOTHING, NOTHING.
    This is a huge issue.
    He either agreed with it and lying now or he didn’t have the guts to object and stand up to his mentor.
    Either way he doesn’t have the judgment to lead.

March 19, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  40. Petra

Anderson I look forward to the interview.

Let me add that I think you're one of the best journalists out there, kudos to you, and that I wish you all the very best. You are ALWAYS doing a great job, and that is a very rare thing.

March 19, 2008 at 6:10 pm |
  41. Fulton

He is a liar and the truth is not in him. I cant believe how he talked about his grandmother. I know exactly how she feels. His father is like the typical black father in the south. Leave them for the mothers and grandmothers to raise. He is a liar and God help us if he succeeds. He should stop the race. He cannot be trusted.

March 19, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  42. Donald, Georgia

This whole ordeal is much to do about nothing! Show me one instance where Rev. Wright was incorrect in his speeches. He spoke the truth, plain and simple. The fact of the matter is that America DOES NOT want to hear the truth. With that being said, in no way he speaks for Obama, the media has this fixation with linking Obama to Rev. Wright flaming words. Could not be further from the truth. Obama has been consistent with what he has said since day one. The media is deaf and only wants to hear what it wants. At this juncture in our history this country does not need to go back to the 20th century. McCain and Clinton represent that. We're in the 21st century and bold ideas, dreams and concepts need to be planted and sown. Obama is the best of the 3 for opening our eyes to a new prosperity and hope. I'm with him regardless of the ending.

March 19, 2008 at 6:08 pm |
  43. x obamican

Anderson,

Glad to see you on the road again!

Many of us have been infatuated with Senator Obama. I am now and until I hear something that makes me believe him again an XObamican.

He's now the same as most as far as being trustworthy. He isn't what I thought and hoped he could be for our Country. I thought as Mulatto, he might not label himself as the Media had. He had to remain a plain old American to get my vote. Not a White American or Black American. He's now officially labled himself.

Do any other Candidates go around calling themselves White Americans or Caucasian Americans? Now we know, Senator Obahama was evidently so hurt by his White Grandmothers anti racial remarks, he chooses the race of his Black Father who deserted him when he was just two years old, rather than his white grandparents, who afforded him the best education leading him to where he finds himself today. I'd like to know, how his Grandmothers racial slurs , compare to those of the Church and extemely racist, anti american, minister he continiues to consider family to frequent this very Black Racist Church, and call this awful man, family?
    I'd like to know how he can denounce his ministers words yet still consider him family. While all the while insisting words matter.
    Both Senator Obama's actions and own words, along with the words of his pastor of 20 years,lead me to believe they are both extremely Racist. He would be a member of a church without such obvious Racial Unrest. In my life I have never heard anything like Reverand Wrights. Codeming his words doesn't change who he is.

He and Reverand Wright have set the Civil Rights movement back
    by at least 50 years. They would both make great replacements, for either Martin Luther King or Louey Farakhan. I believe both positions are available.

I don't believe our country could take eight more years, of Bushomics, I'm now a Hillary girl. She's not racist, she has no questionable Islamic ties, she doesn't affiliate herself with a radical racist church,
    she knows the economy, she's a strong woman, who we certainly know will fight for us. BUT, THE BEST THINGth IS SHE'S a SHE!!!! She won't have sex on her mind every 20 seconds. Can you imagine how much she can get accomplished!?!? How is that for REAL CHANGE?!?!?!?

KTX

March 19, 2008 at 6:08 pm |
  44. Anthony Valadez

Someone had to say what Obama said. Race is the giant Elephant in the living room that no one talks about. Kudos for Obama for speaking his mind despite the fact that its not a mainstream shared by other races or social class.

March 19, 2008 at 6:08 pm |
  45. db

Obama cannot have it both ways. Support a Ministry of the church for 20 years, who advocates changes through hate; and say He is for bringing people together to make positive changes. This is very disappointing.

If Obama, running for President, is to lead above the fray having a minister that blatantly curses continuously in his messages, is not the positive image or shows very good judgment that America needs to represent the country.

March 19, 2008 at 6:08 pm |
  46. val jackson

Anderson,
    What sadden me the most is the fact that racism is truly alive and well, just reflect on when Obama's racial problems began. I'll tell you, when White women and white men started voting for him. The media like CNN started to question, what, white people are voting for Obama how can this be? While Hillary was getting beat so bad, she did just what the fabic of america does, Kill, Steal, and Destory! Let's tarnish his image and tell the nation that he hates Whites that he's really not for the white america, even through, he has white blood, and that he is half white. or should I say malletto. We will blame him for what his pastor says, we will blame him for shaking hands with a muslim. We will turn the minds of white men and white women against him. Obama is the only candidate ever that cannot talk about the issue of how he can change our country, only about race. Hillary doesn't have to talk about how white she is, nor do Mccain, now you tell me who really has hidden racism!

March 19, 2008 at 6:07 pm |
  47. Michael

Hasn't changed my opinion of him one bit. I am still very confident in his ability to be Commander In Chief. Hasn't changed my opinion on if the superdelegates overturn what the people have spoken on either. If they do so I will just vote for McCain in November. Me and 20 other workers at my job that have made up our minds about the Clintons.

Obama 08

March 19, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  48. Anna

Obama’s speech yesterday (addressing his association with Rev. Wright) was brilliantly crafted – from strategically deflecting the issue at hand (by focusing on talks of uniting the nation and working together to do away with racism), right down to the flags strategically placed behind him.

I own and run a B2B marketing firm and I applaud Obama for his marketing genius. However, his lack of substance throughout the campaign, his questionable associations (including Rev. Wright) and his being caught in a number of lies (e.g. admitting in his speech that he has heard Rev. Wright say inappropriate things) highlights the fact that it takes more than ‘feel good’ marketing to earn you the right and privilege to lead this great nation.

In Obama’s speech yesterday he did NOT address the issue at hand, which is, if you really don't approve of these hate messages being preached from the pulpit of your church than WHY are you condoning these messages by still being a parishioner there? And more importantly, how can you be ‘preaching’ about your desire to unite all races to work together to do away with racism, while at the same time exposing a new generation (i.e. your two young daughters) to racist and anti-American propaganda? A true leader leads by example not just eloquent rhetoric.

Those who feel he gave a great, inspiring, historic speech are overlooking the reason why he had to give the speech to begin with – damage control. I read through the 11 page transcript of his speech carefully and it WOULD have made a significant, positive impression on me if: 1. His spiritual advisor of 20 years wasn’t a man that preaches hate-filled messages (which totally contradict the core of his platform – ‘Hope, Change, Unite’) and 2. If he had the courage to discuss these REAL issues without being politically forced to.

I have been a Hillary supporter since the New Hampshire primary. Prior to the ‘Wright scandal’ surfacing I was planning on voting for Obama if Hillary did not win the democratic nomination. In good conscience I can no longer do that. Hillary will get my vote even if it has to be written in.

To the Hillary team I say, ‘You can count on our support until the end. And please grant Anderson a full day on the campaign trail with you. It would be great to be a part of. of!’

March 19, 2008 at 6:02 pm |
  49. John Franks

Obama
    The fact is Obama will never do enough to correct this problem, if he disconnects himself from his pastor then it will be said that it was done too late; and if by some miracle he is elected all that will be talked about is what he screwed up even if he has statistically out performed every other president in this nations history. Bush, on the other hand, even in light of the facts that has revealed the lies that has dominated his administration, he still only finds forgiveness and
    unsolicited excuses and understanding in the media and from devotees who are comfortable with their blinders on. The Iraq War is the worst thing that has ever happened to this country under false
    pretenses but, relative to what has happened recently with Obama's pastor this lie has become minor in scope. Do you people not see what's wrong here? This is the way it is, you forgive, excuse and
    sympathize the actions of some, Imus is the perfect example while African Americans never find a place of uncritisized respect, there will be criticism in the mist of praise for anything that is done by them except how they teach us to dance, party, play sweet music and sports. Can you not understand why they perceive it all in the context of race?

March 19, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  50. Don

The problem with race in America to day is that the black community, is just a racist as any other community but that the major majority of black people make excuses for the racists among them instead of ostracizing them.
    My history in this country is the history of many people that come here.
    I am a Caucasian male; I came here on the third of July 1977 with two suite cases and three hundred dollars in my pocket.
    The treatment I have received by the black community is for the most part plain and simply racist, for no other reason then that I am Caucasian.

But all you hear about is the racism about white on black.
    I have yet to hear any black person ever speak out against the racism committed by the black community.
    I have served in my country in the army, and I owe nothing to any one simply because my skin is whiter than some other persons.
    And I am tired of being told by individuals that I am causing their problems, the black community needs to clean up their own act before they are pointing a finger at others that have absolutely nothing to do with the problems they have and are causing true their racist attitudes.

“The biggest problem in life that you will ever face is the one that looks you straight in the eye every time you look in to a mirror, and it is your problem until you fix it no one else can do it for you. “ (DJR)

March 19, 2008 at 5:59 pm |