March 19th, 2008

Obama on controversy

I just finished interviewing Senator Obama, we talked at length about lingering questions surrounding Reverend Wright, as well as how he thinks the controversy has hurt him.

Here is a brief exchange:
_________________

Anderson Cooper:
“How badly do you think this has– has damaged you?  Obviously you've been taking it very seriously over the last couple days.  I mean, you've been very available to the media.  You made this speech yesterday.  How much has it hurt?  'National Review online' says, you know, bottom line, will the speech help you win white working-class voters?”

ALT TEXT

Anderson Cooper interviews Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama on (and above) the campaign trail as they fly to Charlotte, North Carolina. Watch the interview tonight on 360° 10p ET

Sen. Barack Obama:
“Well, you– you know– one of the things I said early on in this campaign was if– if I was just running the textbook campaign– doing the conventional thing, I probably wasn't gonna win because Senator Clinton was gonna be much more capable of doing that than I would be.  We had tremendous success– and I think we were starting to get a little comfortable and conventional right before Texas and Ohio.  And, you know, in– in some ways this– this controversy has actually shaken me up a little bit and gotten me back into remembering that– the odds of me getting elected have always been– lower than– than some of the other conventional candidates...”

“...And if I bring something to this conversation, it's gonna be because I do what I did yesterday, which is hopefully open up new conversation about a new direction of the country.  As a practical matter in terms of– how this plays out demographically, I can't tell you.  I don't know. "

_________________

I'd blog more but our plane is just taking off, we're heading to Charlotte...see you from there tonight.

– Anderson Cooper

1. Hane

yes we will! We need a president who can solve the problems and that will divide this country. Obama, you should practice what you preach but then if those preaches come from wright you may have to step down. We are not stupid to trust you. Action speaks lauder than words!

March 19, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  2. Ted McDonough

His speech yesterday was a great speech no question about it. The problem with is the controversy surrounding him has nothing to do with race. Preachers black and white give outrageous sermons and have outrageous beliefs. Is it credible to believe he knew nothing of this while being one of the congregations highest profile members for 20 years? No! That being said. Is it out of line for people to question his judgement for not distancing himself from Rev Wright a long time ago? No.

March 19, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  3. Robert Spinelli

Tell me how in the world can we believe he doesn't think like his pastor when he has been guided by him for so many years. If he really felt the pastor was wrong he should have confronted him right after the sermon. His wife has also added kindling to the fire that's going to burn out his nomination.

March 19, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  4. Jennifer

looks like youre having fun there Anderson, be safe in the air and cant wait to see Obama on the show tonight 🙂

March 19, 2008 at 5:55 pm |
  5. Mook, Raleigh

Sen. Obama,

Please stop digging anymore. You are in a whole. It is better to accept second place and unite the Democrats.

March 19, 2008 at 5:55 pm |
  6. Christopher Harness - Atlanta, GA

As a young Black man living in America, reading many of these comments, and knowing that the writers do not share the same perspective on America that I do, I have to say that Barack Obama makes me proud. His speech and the dialog on this blog only help illustrate his point that America still has much work to do.

Many of the people writing here have probably never stepped into a Black church, asked a Black person what it truly is like living in this country, or will ever understand that experience. Yes, I love my country, and am proud to call myself an American, but I am also proud of my own heritage.

We just celebrated St. Patrick's day with parades up and down the streets of the US and green die in the lakes and rivers. How proud one must be to be Irish on a day like that. But when someone stands up and says that they are proud to be Black, it seems to me that white people all of a sudden think of that person as militant, arrogant, or even radical.

Before any of you open your mouth to condemn racially charged statements, or to judge Barack Obama, please take 5 minutes to ask yourself exactly what your understanding of African-American culture really is. Then think about the monumental task he has before him. Obama did not want race to be an issue in this campaign for the reasons we are exploring right now. If he would have made it an issue in the beginning, that is all that people would see.

It's time for America to open our eyes to our powerful diversity. Why don't you start by having dinner with a family of another race, go to their church even it it's not your religion, learn something new about other people at least once a month. Keep a journal about things that you don't know about other people, then go find out.

March 19, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  7. Mary

I am very saddened that a man so bright, so full of promise has been reminded that his candidacy is a long-shot due to the color of his skin. My 50 year-old, white heart hurts for him because of that and I am very sorry that we are not past these kinds of issues.

I sat in my Catholic church when the priest sex abuse scandal was happening. I didn't leave when sins were being committed by my priests. I can understand Senator Obama's dilemma.

His speech yesterday was absolutely incredible. I want him to be our President.

March 19, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  8. TNeal

Hey Anderson, thanks for the coverage. I was orginally disturbed by the brief message I heard Rev. Wright preach. However, I started noticing a "familiar" type of resentment coming from many Americans that really has nothing to do with Wright or Obama. The lynch mob mentality that has resurfaced.

March 19, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  9. Mark Maggio

Three conclusions from the Obama-Rev. Wright race scandal and videos:

1- "Spin" will no longer work like it did in the pre-YouTube, pre-Internet days. We can see, hear, and read the material for ourselves, without media filter. We are able to understand it for ourselves (there is no "caricature" or "media bias" in transcripts of sermon after sermon).

2- Many, including me, conclude that this is black racism and black anti-Americanism at its most highly-developed stage. Now is the time to start to condemn black racism, and black anti-Americanism. Good, honest, freedom-loving, democracy-supporting black folks should be ashamed of these racist and anti-American ideologies and should condemn them, along with the rest of us.

3- Mr. Obama has tried to lie and spin and obfuscate his connection to these radical and extremist ideologies, and that is what makes him unfit for the Presidency. He should either take up the cause of condemning black racism and black anti-Americanism, or else drop out of the race.

March 19, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  10. Kathryn

Obama & his family have been sitting in the pew absorbing much of this kind of rhetoric - and there is so much of it, context or no context, it is in complete sentences & can be fairly judged on its own! - that this rhetoric has contributed to Michelle's not feeling proud of her country. Despite the fact she has prospered in her country, from its policies & opportunities available to her. I'm concerned about his judgment, in subjecting his children to this kind of atmosphere & rhetoric. I understand they have to deal with being black in a country that still can be racist, but do they have to hear the "god damn America" and the 9/11 "chickens coming home to roost" speeches? Adults may understand, but children? Children don't have the perspective to overcome such anti-American sentiments thrown at them weekly, in church. Bad judgment, as they will be growing up with that kind of a chip on their shoulders.

March 19, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  11. Fujiko

Is it not too easy to be understanding and inclusive when something bad happens to YOUR family? Why not this speech when Ferraro said something deemed inexcusable? One can only have the upper hand when criticism is not directed at oneself... trying to be forgiving when the fire is directed at you is too self-serving!
    Furthermore, the big issue is who is most qualified to be the next president and for that, Clinton wins! And for the argument about everyone who votes or endorses Obama being delusional, it is absolutely possible as Bush has won twice, in a roll! Perhaps more facts, track records and less hope for change would be most suitable for this insane world! We do not need someone nice and agreeable, we need someone intelligent and strong! And that is Clinton! USA WAKEUP!!

March 19, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  12. Parham Javaheri

Anderson,

Have you had a chance to ask Sen Obama why their campaign wont air sound bites from Rev Wright that are posetive and uplifting? this ex US marine and long time pastor has spent more time being posetive and doing the right thing than the 5 youtube clips of him being hateful. The US Public should also be exposed to this side of the man, though i am sure we are collectively too judemental to care about the truth.

Parham
    Minneapolis

March 19, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  13. Vaughn Samuel - Chicago

In the spirit of easter, I am glad Senator Obama didnt play Peter and deny his Pastor. He is a man and a man of integrity. Obama's patriotism is never in doubt. In fact it is Hillary Clintons Patriotism that should be questioned. Have we forgotten so soon the Anti Vietnam War protest she was at and the US flag was burnt? Have we so easily forgotten the dirty whitewater deals and the scandal in the white house travel Office and the alleged suicide of their friend? Its unfortunate that the clintons would rather see John McCain in the white house if it aint going to be them. Rev Wright is entitiled to his opinion. You cannot judge a man by the lifestyle of his friends. If we were to judge, the clintons would long be burned at the stake.

March 19, 2008 at 5:50 pm |
  14. Ahtasham

Barack's speech has already been well received by the well educated Americans. The speech has strenghtened his claim for change. This speech has done two very important things for him. Firstly, he has been fully adopted by the Black community today, and secondly, he has been confirmed as a Christian. America has done a lot to remove racism to the extent that the people hesitate to even use the word Racism in public places. But the question is : Has it helped the Blacks to come at par with the whites educationally, economically, socially etc.? The answer is: A BIG NO.

US has to do a lot still. Give a chance to a Black candidate this time and see what he does.

March 19, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  15. Sandra Marie

Thanks to Anderson Cooper for giving Mr. Obama the time to explain himself, not that he needed to. I am a Catholic and my husband a Presbyterian but we go to a Baptist Church. I DO NOT agree with most of the political beliefs of my Pastor and the church but I go to Church to hear the word of God. I take what I want out of the sermon and leave behind what I don't. How unfair is it to hold Mr. Obama responsible for what another says. Could it be that Obama non-supporters are just picking at something or anything to make him look bad? Can we just move on and get over this. Lets get to the real issues!!!! The Economy, The War, GAS PRICES!!!!!

March 19, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  16. Mich

Why didn't Sen Obama ask his spiritual guru to "change" ? Change his tough-and-sad age-old ideology, and stop his "slavery" rhetorics. No, Rev Wright won't change, and Sen Obama knows it very well. In today's America, when all people, no matter what color, suffer and struggle, what 's the point for Rev Wright to keep the old-memories afresh in the minds of youth and church-goers. He can preach some better things. Sen Obama , did you ever ask him to Change ?

March 19, 2008 at 5:45 pm |
  17. Daniel from Michigan

If you didn't understand his speech yesterday, then don't vote for him.
    We are trully talking about a separation of the intelligent from the unintelligent. Obama has attracted intelligent people who understand the social dynamics involved in contextual social/cultural language practices. He does not need to defend himself. Those who lack an education can only see the surface of these social dynamics, and therefore rush to judgment revealing their predispositions and racial/prejudicial biases.

March 19, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  18. Pat

I want a president who will do what is best for the country, not what is best for him. Obama has to agree and push for a revote in Florida and Michigan. If he does not do that and becomes the democratic nominee I can not support him in November.

March 19, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  19. thechristianna

Anderson–
    Way to make up for not blogging for weeks!
    On the topic of race in the election: IT DOES NOT MATTER. At least, not as much as everyone's trying to make it matter. I've got a colorful assortment of friends, and their racial demographics completely defy the political stereotypes attached to the color of their skin.
    I think 360 could be a powerful influence on the media to stop feeding into these ridiculous ideas of "black politics" or "female politics" and just call it "American politics."
    Anderson, I know a lot of people would love it so much if your show stepped away from covering mainstream "fad news" like "race and politics" and started showing all the candidates as what they are: people.

Also, I'm sorry the Clinton campaign isn't responding to your requests, and I'm happy to hear you're cancer-free again.

–Christianna, NYC

March 19, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  20. Chuck in Alabama

He says he wants change for the future. That we must change our mindset....

Where were his children while he sat in that church listening to that hate?

He acts as if this is all the white peoples fault, that if they weren't prejudiced, his pastor never would have had reason to say those things. He lived in a posh neighborhood in Hawaii, went to an upscale school there, graduated from Harvard law, and I'm supposed to feel sorry for him? Get real.

I voted for him in the primary, I wish I had my vote back.

I am so disillusioned with him now.

March 19, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  21. rex

So now the campaign is about race? Which is it Obama?
    Why did Obama say last Friday that "he'd never heard Wright say controversial statements about whiteS" and then contradict that in his speech yesterday? He should have given the speech at the Waffle Hut.

As I have always said, the majority of white America is ready for a black president, but black America is NOT. They will expect "their" president to treat them favorably, extend privilages and retributions, and in effect become a lage and burdensome lobby. When black Americans like Pastor Wright (wrong) stop adopting a victim mentality (OBama called in "defeat"), is when a man like Obama will become president.

March 19, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  22. Debbie McCoy

I look forward to the interview. I'm sure that the people spewing hatred in these blogs wouldn't be watching tonight anyway so I wonder why they are spending their time blogging about it? They should tune in – they might just learn something.

March 19, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  23. nikki cherry

thanks for comin' to our state today...i am looking forward to the coverage tonight!!!! two of my favorite people!!!

March 19, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  24. Diane

What's so historic about the speech. Obama (plus Oprah) played the race card from the beginning of the campaign.

March 19, 2008 at 5:35 pm |
  25. Sand

No mistake about it ,Senator Obama is an excellent oracle speaker,not to mention his charismatic nature. However, so was Bill Clinton. I'm so disappointed to find out that the Senator is not what he portrayed himself to be. He's just another lying politician. The fact of the matter is, he lied to the American People when he said he didn't know his pastor was spewing such hatred against America. Then when he gave his famous speech, admitted he did know. It only stands to reason, if one is taught for over 20 years to hate America and the white race and you refuse to leave or confront the orator, you've accepted the lesson. I know if my pastor ever said anything that remotely resembled what Wright said I would be out of there never to return again. There is no place in America for that sort of reteric. Be it in a black or white congergation.
    We have had enough racism in this country. Unfortunately, Obama damaged his ability to be the one to bring everyone together. The democratic party is in a pitiful mess. For the first time I'm asking myself where does the party go from here?

March 19, 2008 at 5:35 pm |
  26. Jolene

Anderson: I was reminded today at work about the famous quote that Ronald Reagan often used when in tough negotiations: “Trust, but verify”. I find this to also apply to good journalism and to this election. As much as I like the passion from the voters, it bothers me that there is so much division not only between the candidates but between the voters and the media. I guess I’m not comfortable with the conflicts, just want the facts. But then again, if we didn’t have the conflicts, politics wouldn’t be so exciting now would it? Looking forward to your reports tonight!

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

March 19, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  27. Donna R.

Anderson,

I would like to know how the world is perceiving Senator Obama's relationship to Rev. Wright. The Reverends words of hate towards this country could affect Baracks Obama's ability to convince the world that he is a man of peace. I have been reading his speech over and over and yet I am still having a hard time understanding how a person can talk of so strongly of being a uniter and have such a strong relationship with a man who spews such hatered for this country. There is still a lot to learn about Mr. Obama, he can make excellent speech's but can we trust everything that is being sad?

March 19, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  28. cjc

Regardless of who becomes president of our great nation I needed that speech from Obama. I needed that speech ten years ago, 20 years ago. Thank you for reminding me of the social issues that are in the fabric of our nation. As a 52 year old white republican woman who grew up in MS I appauld you for taking the high road and telling me why! The issues that you have put in front of the American people and on your watch Mr. Obama will have to be addressed.

March 19, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  29. Jean

To Chinnu sree. In my opinion,real change in your life, should start with a trip to the bookstore. Get yourself a dictionary and lookup definitions for word such as denounce. i has only one definition, and it cannot mean one thing on monday and mean something else on wednesday.Obama has now denounced Rev Wright every day of the week. and you still don;t get that. I think the next step toward change is that you need some pain medication, bacause the soud of real change will be so loud to you that you will have a permanent headache!

March 19, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  30. Sachin

SMOOTH TALKING POLITICIAN

Its nice to see the ovewhelming support of people on this blog towards Obama and the kind of change they seek . i guess this romance with obama and the change he characterises will soon disappear if they have open mind towards "What" he says and not the "Way "he says it. He has not made much sense through out his campaign on how he will do it .
    He has skirted issues masterfully and lead people to believe he is going to represent a big change and get things done for them. Well if it seems that smooth talking is the way to win this election I think he doing pretty good . If Hillary does the same smooth talking on stage as Obama does she would beat him hands down
    I guess if he will ever give a straight answere to the question you ask him? The demographics have spoken / speaking Mr Obama above all would know better. Stopping acting naive and answere the question Mr Obama .( question given in the brief exchange above)
    He is as hollow as his policies and ideas seem to be but he surely have the icing which attracts people. all that glitters is not gold people!!!!

March 19, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  31. Danel

I think America is not ready to elect a bright young man who happens to be an African-American. First they accused him of being muslim, unpatriotic and a liar. When that didn't pan out here comes the smoking gun.. Rev. Wright!! Barack didn't say that he is perfect. Sure, he will make mistakes. Is that mistake caused this country to invade another country that has nothing to do with 9/11? Ask McCain and Clinton both signed for the resolution. McCain and Clinton are members of Arms Services committee. That means more money for arms and more war. Go figure..

March 19, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  32. Responsibility,

I look forward to watching your report tonight Anderson.

Now unto Mr Barack Obama. I was reading through some of the comments left by the many. And what is truly baffling to me is the fact that people are still holding a man responsible for someone elses
    actions. Did you listen or read the speech. I did and I believe it was the most incredible speech i have heard in my 29yrs of lifetime he was honest open and striaght forward. Can we all please be honest with OURSELFS i'm a black woman and i have heard my family members say things i don't agree with. But I understand the pain i understand the context its coming from,. although i grew up in a different era . I without question disagree with Pastor Wright But i whole heartly agree with Barak Obama.

No one is perfect lets be honest about that. We are all imperfect Pastor Wright was speaking from a diffrerent perspective. Lets all use the opportunity to grow from instead of speaking from hurt just as Pastor Wright was.

And one more point Obama did not lie regarding if he heard comments before what he stated was he didn't hear those specific ones.. Lets stop hearing what we want to hear. Yesterday America heard what we all needed to hear Black, White,Hispanic,Asian, Indian.. and countless others who make america the beautiful melting pot it is.

March 19, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  33. TH

As I read many of these comments from those who do not agree with Obama and say they will not vote for him, I'll ask you all to be honest with yourselves. Also, to those who ask Anderson Cooper to ask Obama to further explain his relationship with Rev. Wright, at this point,
    WILL ANYTHING OBAMA SAYS MAKE YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT HIM?

More than likely, NOT. So, why not move on and support whichever candidate you choose to support? You all know, no matter what answers Obama gives, it will never be enough to satisfy you. So, just let it go. Please!!

March 19, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  34. Brian Heckenberger

Various recent efforts have tried to push the race issue into the front seat of this campaign. Consequently, in Philadelphia Obama gave the best political-related speech I have heard in my 48 years. He hit a home run folks! I grew up in Vermont and now live in Montana, two states with the least minorities. Yet I say to you that this middle class white male believes Obama is genuinely the "real deal", with the intelligence, morals, and caring to improve this country as so many desire.

March 19, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  35. Suzie

***John O **
    I am not sure what news stations you watch but certainly inappropriate comments made by Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson were more fiercely attacked and criticized than comments made by Jeremiah Wright. And America has hardly been hijacked by the religious right, because several of the past presidents have been Christian is not the same as being hijacked. Clearly both Bushes, and Reagan were not religious zealots, it would seem in your book anyone with any amount of Christian faith would be considered over the top. It seems you are just mad that the Democrats have had two democratic presidents in the last 30 years. And the DLC is not doing its job very well.

March 19, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  36. Felix Thomas

Anderson, we need to move on. The economy is in bad shape and we got Bush telling us that the war will go on. Barack came forward and did what he had to do. Why are you still talking about lingering question on his pastor? This election is not about Barack’s Pastor. Lets move on and let Barack get his campaign back on the road.

We are beginning to get tire of it. enough is enough. Go talk to Hilary Clinton about her first lady papers. We need to see and hear something else we are tire of hearing about Barack’s Pastor.

March 19, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  37. beverly a bolling

what can we say. Senator Obama again showed why he is the President. Honest, truthfull, and poised! All in the country are responsible for facing it and eliminating it. Facing racism and it's negative effects on both whites and blacks alone have been ingrained, so we think. Yet, comes along Obama a man with a plan to bring us as Americans together as one people. All aspects on this wonderful country remains segregated: shools, social clubs, sporting clubs, churches and neigborhoods – thus is the problem whereby we don't know our neighbors. How sad. Again, here come Obama!
    Thank you Mr. President Obama... I just love you...
    bev... from Cincinnati, Ohio

March 19, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  38. LAT

Obama's speech was very presidential. For those of you that still don't know who he is – did you listen to the speech? He is a very loyal friend. He has the guts to say what other people are just thinking. He is smart, articulate and can face the issues head on. This is exactly what we need.

If I had a dollar for every time Hillary Clinton said she has traveled to 80 countries I could retire. It is funny that no one has ever brought up the fact that the taxpayers paid for all of these trips. The taxpayers of this country have already supported the Clintons for 8 years. Our economy turns about every 12-15 years years. So why are we not blaming the Clintons now? Let's give someone else a chance.

March 19, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  39. Nate

Anderson,

I am glad your doing fine, keep the good work up..
    I would to say to Senator Obama thank you for your complete package for all the world been waiting for your words and not only in our country but around the world, they want to be a melting pot of one also to live without worrying about getting a good education and health care and having a job and not going hungry and for a world of peace and peace of mind. Lets all of us work together to keep the communication lines open here , For we are brothers and sisters of different colors and different mothers. LET'S NOT FORGET THAT.

March 19, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  40. Karen

Hey Anderson,

wishing you a speedy recovery.

So the black white issue goes on in more places then the inner city – great, this is promising.

March 19, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  41. Patti

Obama didn't delivery this speech to bring out the issues with race and look like a hero or be brave,

He HAD to delivery this speech as damage control.

So what kind of hero is Obama to cover his ***.

If he really cared about the race issues he would have talked about it FIRST! before Americans made it an issue, SINCE a lot of Americans are worried about Obama's views with RACE.

March 19, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  42. Texas

I agree with you Monica: "Monica March 19th, 2008 4:42 pm ET"

Anyone who seriously believes that the Obama’s and Pastor Wright hate America is too stupid to be allowed to vote.

March 19, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  43. Cosandra Odame

We cannnot afford to be angry over the comments made by Rev.Wright. I was setting in a white church when I was 19yrs old and the white pastor said blacks did not have a soul. I tried to look over the comment . A white lady in front of me look back and said he talking about you people. If I was to carry all the hate and anger in my heart over what a few white people said I would never move forward. We have to decide at some point in our life to forgive and not judge a whole race by what some have said. If you choose Hillary or McCain you are saying yes to the war or yes to more lies. I believe Hillary is the one who got these vidoes to try to destroy Obama. Its going to be who God wants to be president no matter what.

March 19, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  44. Cecelia

I know as a fifty-five year old African-American female the experience of my people during the 60's and 70's in the black church. Since most of us have mainly remained segregated on days of Worship to GOD, we do not know accurately what each are taught. This in my opinion has been the norm in most churches and religions have met the needs and maintained segregation for centuries in America. For African-Americans our main social and psychological outlet has been our respective churches. It is our experience that it is the only place in America that we are free to honestly feel what we feel about our social, political, educational, and work experiences. Most of us have a dual experience in society never negating the most obvious. I am extremely proud of Sen. Obama for expressing both sides of the social conflict in mature and concise terms for all ethnic groups. I am very proud of him and appreciate his brilliance. His maternal family can be extremely proud of their role in his American experience.

March 19, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  45. Tony

The big problem for Obama regarding Rev. Wright is that much effort was made early in the campaign to portray Obama as a Christian to deflect the assertion that he really is a Muslim in disguise. If being a member of Rev. Wright's flock is the only way Obama can say he is not a Muslim, then I think I would like him better as a Muslim!

March 19, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  46. Felix Thomas

Anderson, we need to move on. The economy is in bad shape and we got Bush telling us that the war will go on. Barack came forward and did what he had to do. Why are you still talking about lingering question on his pastor. This election is not about Barack's Pastor. Lets move on and let Barack get his campaign back on the road.

We are beginning to get tire of it. enough is enough. Go talk to Hilary Clinton about her first lady papers. We need to see and hear something else we are tire of hearing about Barack's Pastor.

March 19, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  47. Cristy

Anderson, thanks for the wonderful way you report the news, I have really enjoyed watching 360 since the Katrina disaster. I hope your skin cancer goes away.
    We really need to move on from the controversy re Rev Wright. Senator Obama gave an honest statesmanlike speech yesterday, explaining his views and asking us, fellow Americans, to inspect our own views, issues, things we may have said-heard-done under the color of racism. Racism is an ugly remainder from the past that cannot be swept under the carpet, or kept out of polite conversation. It continues to rear its ugly head throughout America. America still has a black eye from the Katrina disaster aimed at the poor and black people of New Orleans. I was and still am ashamed that Americans were treated in such a disgraceful manner in their own country.
    Reverand Wright was practicing free speech. As long as I have been around (50+ years), I have been aware of churches – not just black churches – using the bloody pulpit at times to express a political opinion. So What? Get a grip!
    There are things much more important that this one mans comments, to spin the media machine on, don't you think? Like – why and whom "uncovered" this ministers remarks, on video? Whose camp did that come from? Why did that Admiral quit over the Administration vs Iran? Why are we really in Iraq, and who is making money of the deal? Why can't the American government find a way to provide affordable health care to its citizens. I could go on and on Anderson, with the why's and how comes.
    I wish the media would stop spinning it wheels on sensationalizing unworthy news and get back to what news reporting should do, dig into a story that needs to be told and help to change our world for the better.

March 19, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  48. norma from wyoming

Anderson,
    Would you please ask Obama about the statement he made Friday nite on your ionterview with haim that he had never heard Rev. Wright say these unpatriotic statements. In his speech on Monday he stated that he was there and was aware of his statements. With a long time attendance at this church and listening to to these sermons it is no wonder that Obama's wife has not been proud to be an American.
    The tone of the sermons do not strike me as racial. It is downright unamerican.
    Is Hiliary going to get equal time?

March 19, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  49. Melissa

OOPs wanted to finish with, I am from Indiana and am now for Clinton. Obama can thank his pastor for that. The pastor helped me make my up my mind on my torn vote.

March 19, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  50. Crispin

America claims to be an open-minded, free society. It amazes me how one little snippet can be deemed enough to bring a man's entire roof down. It is such failure to dig deep into important matters that got America into a senseless war...failure to look for the big picture that makes America a divided society...I guess it is a product of the history of being afraid to see what's on the other side of race, gender, and the borders that will make it truly hard for America to bail itself out of the doldrums. This is interesting... if America was Donald Trump, I guarantee you he cannot pass up on such a treasure like this Obama fella....

March 19, 2008 at 5:22 pm |