March 19th, 2008

Obama on controversy

I just finished interviewing Senator Obama, we talked at length about lingering questions surrounding Reverend Wright, as well as how he thinks the controversy has hurt him.

Here is a brief exchange:
_________________

Anderson Cooper:
“How badly do you think this has– has damaged you?  Obviously you've been taking it very seriously over the last couple days.  I mean, you've been very available to the media.  You made this speech yesterday.  How much has it hurt?  'National Review online' says, you know, bottom line, will the speech help you win white working-class voters?”

ALT TEXT

Anderson Cooper interviews Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama on (and above) the campaign trail as they fly to Charlotte, North Carolina. Watch the interview tonight on 360° 10p ET

Sen. Barack Obama:
“Well, you– you know– one of the things I said early on in this campaign was if– if I was just running the textbook campaign– doing the conventional thing, I probably wasn't gonna win because Senator Clinton was gonna be much more capable of doing that than I would be.  We had tremendous success– and I think we were starting to get a little comfortable and conventional right before Texas and Ohio.  And, you know, in– in some ways this– this controversy has actually shaken me up a little bit and gotten me back into remembering that– the odds of me getting elected have always been– lower than– than some of the other conventional candidates...”

“...And if I bring something to this conversation, it's gonna be because I do what I did yesterday, which is hopefully open up new conversation about a new direction of the country.  As a practical matter in terms of– how this plays out demographically, I can't tell you.  I don't know. "

_________________

I'd blog more but our plane is just taking off, we're heading to Charlotte...see you from there tonight.

– Anderson Cooper

1. EJ - Ohio

Re: Obama's candidacy

Que Sera, Sera

March 19, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  2. Michelle

Racism really stings when it's on the other foot. This is just about 1 percent of what African Americans and other minorities experience on a daily basis. All of this uproar is about what 1 man in America said and the whole country is crying foul. Minorities have been hearing, seeing, and living with racism from the majority for many years. Unfortunately, some of what the reverend said was true and the truth hurts. Just as I can agree that some of what he said was true; there are other parts that are extreme and I can't condone. I am an African American and I am proud of this country and proud to be an American.

March 19, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  3. Sam

One simple question everyone has to ask themselves. And that is whether or not there are people close to their families that they disagree with strongly. A simple example is how many democratic leaning people have long time family friends who are strongly republican or vice versa. Pick a topic: immigration, religion, abortion, the war. Does that mean they are non-persons or that the good things they do are meaningless?

I guess for some people they are.

March 19, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  4. Sharon Olds - Birmingham

Anderson,
    First of all, thank you for your fair coverage of the entire election. I am looking forward to the program tonight. This recent controversy will only be hurtful to Obama with people who never wanted to see him succeed. As an African-American female I was not convinced he was the best candidate until after the last two debates with Hiliary Clinton. I have always and still do admire her but he stood out more presidential. After the speech on Tuesday, I am looking forward to a better America with Obama being the President, not because he is Black, but because he is Better and he wants what is Best for All Americans.

March 19, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  5. gk

3 a.m call? It not only took him over a year to decide if he should distant himself from his pastors remarks, and almost a week to respond to all these allegations, but he rather lied about it, saying that he never listened to him, and yesterday he said he did. Is that what he calls judgement? He lied about Rezko too, Now it is over $250 thousand in contributions, he bought his land after he knew he was already under investigation. Well, Mr Obama is doing a great job for the country and the Republican party. Keep it up, and we will have 4 more years of republicans in power.

March 19, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  6. Rob

I think we have been witnessing the past couple of days how Senator Obama respects his audience. As David Gergen wrote yesterday, he does not speak down to us as if we were children, but treats us like adults. He knows that he will need a sea-change in how the public perceives itself for any tangible change to occur. It is so refreshing to have an intelligent candidate to consider who knows how to communicate successfully. It is the way forward.

March 19, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  7. Wanda Woman

Why do people not get it...this is the type of person we need in the White House...someone who TRULY is making the attempt to move us forward in the economy and globally. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

March 19, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  8. Michael Hanley

I was very impressed with Obama's speech yesterday. It has made me realize that its has been 40 years since we have seen someone on the national political stage with this clarity of vision and moral character. It was not until yesterday that I made the firm decison to support Obama. I look forward to your interview this evening.
    Mike from Scranton

March 19, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  9. Common Sense

This man has a BLACK father, WHITE mother, HISPANIC step-father, and ASAIN brother-in...
    HOW IS HE A RACIST??!! He didn't say those things, Rev. Wright did!
    Shoot, if you really want to "get real"... HE DIDN'T EVEN CALL FERRARO A RACIST WHEN EVERYONE ELSE DID!!!

GET REAL PEOPLE! YOU GUYS ARE JUST REACHING FOR SOMETHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT THIS MAN.
    BUT THE THRUTH IS HE IS EXTRODINARY, AND HE STILL CAME OUT OF ALL OF THIS SO-CALLED "CONTROVERSY" UNTOUCHED!!

OBAMA '08!!!

March 19, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  10. Mischelle from Illinois

Anderson,
    I have yet to hear any reporter ask Mr. Obama WHY...If he wants to affect change in the issue of race relations, and if he thinks that he is the best person to "open up a converstaion about this subject"...WHY did he NOT take the opportunity right before his very eyes for over 20+ years, and OPEN up a converstaion within his own community and his own church. He could have done so much prior to NOW, why didn't he???? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!!

March 19, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  11. Tommy

No one can be responsible for something someone else said... You don't throw your friends away for something they say or you disagree with.. We have all heard racists comments from both sides (black and white).

However, if my pastor started preaching the racists remarks as Rev. Wright, I do have a choice to leave if I don't agree with him. If Senator Obama stayed in that church for 20 years, he must believe the practices of the Rev. Wright. Why did he say he had not heard these comments and 2 days later said he did???

I thought Senator Obama was different, but he is not.. I was an undecided voter and now my vote will go for Hillary. I think she is the one that has the experience and will get the job done.

March 19, 2008 at 4:46 pm |
  12. D/Warwick NY

I listened to the words of Obama's entire speech last night, not just the snippets and buzz phrases that the media seem to rhetorically embellish. I sincerely believe Obama showed tremendous courage and leadership by taking the "Bull by the Horns" and staring directly into the face of Racism in America while challenging us to do the same. Simply, he has only reinforced and confirmed why he is my candidate of choice.

I have no doubt of his ability to lead this nation in the right direction, my only concern is do we as a nation have what it takes to be a part of this Change for America.

March 19, 2008 at 4:46 pm |
  13. Steve

I was disappointed at Reverend Wright's comments, and had serious doubts about Obama (I've been an Obama fan for quite some time) after hearing about the sermons he'd been listening to, apparently without any problem. When Mr. Obama showed the incredible courage to stand up in front of the country and lay out his personal views on the matter, in a clear, concise, no BS manner, I couldn't have been more impressed. As someone else in this blog said, the 3:00AM phone rang, and he answered it. In an incredibly stressful and dangerous situation, he handled himself with calm circumspection. That is, my friends, Presidential.

March 19, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  14. chill

I think David Gergen had it right the other night when he said Obama talks to voters like we're adults. So often we get nothing but half-truths and simplistic sound bites and gotcha. I hope he stays on this track and doesn't get sucked into the tit for tat that I greatly feared would happen with six weeks of nothing else to report.

March 19, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  15. Mary James -Atlanta

Some of Barack Obama's critics are very quick to pass judgment on his character based on snippits and distortions. some claim that he lied about being present for the sound bites of his pastor that were played on TV. He did not lie. You did not listen. He said that he wasn't there for Those particular statements. He admited hearing other statements that he disagreed with emphatically. I'm sick to death of character assassinations of good men and women of courage who stand up for what is right and good only to be demonized and torn to shreds by lies and distortions. Anderson, Please be the one in the media who stands up for what is right and good and honest in this campaign. We look forward to your show tonight. Be well.

March 19, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  16. Monica

Anyone who seriously believes that the Obama's and Pastor Wright hate America is too stupid to be allowed to vote. Seriously, why on earth would someone who is anti-American run for president and get this far? It defies all logic. What exactly do these people think he's going to do in office? These complaints about Obama's sincerity and patriotism are made by Wal-Mart Americans who can only converse in a tabloid fashion and have no understanding of the issues. These are the same people whose most complex reading is PerezHilton and Star Magazine; the people that can't identify Iraq on a world map. These must be the same folks who think that Christian and Republican are synonymous.
    Please for the love of God Anderson, move on to asking Obama what his plans are for the economy. Pastor Wright doesn't affect my bank account, the economy does.

March 19, 2008 at 4:42 pm |
  17. Kay

I believe this country is need of a new direction and a new conversation. For so long we have pointed the finger at each other (racially) in judgement to say what's wrong with this country. We now have the opportunity to open up a dialog an set a new precedent to hold ourselves accountable for the outcome of our nation.

It took a lot of courage for him to step forward and discuss this issue. He has a perspective that many of us can not imagine. He is a black man who has lived continuously within a white and black existence. He has seen both sides of the coin and yet he still believes we have the capacity to rise above this and become the GREAT NATION we should be.

Don't be misled by the flurry of race baiting that is going on now in the media. People will do whatever necessary when they are afraid and want to maintain the status quo.

I say vote for Barack Hussein Obama because he represents what is BEST about America........It's PEOPLE!!!!

March 19, 2008 at 4:42 pm |
  18. Alex Olivas

A true man of integrity, honor and unfraid to stand by his believes.
    Who would not want that in our future president?

March 19, 2008 at 4:39 pm |
  19. Tracy in San Diego

Anderson why don't you ask Obama why he immediately went on National News after the tapes were revealed and deny that he ever heard any of Wright's controversial remarks but admit in his "big speech" on race that he was quite aware of Wrights opinions? Why is he any different than the politicians that he is so critical of?

March 19, 2008 at 4:39 pm |
  20. Kevin McInerney

All political candidates have to pander to a certain degree. Look how McCain pandered to the religious right with Jerry Falwell. What I don't understand is why the press is going after McCain to put him on the hot seat for it. If you're going to put Obama on the grill for Reverend Wright, at least show how McCain in one breadth called the religious right a corrupting influence and then later went to Liberty, Falwell's college and spoke. In other words, does the religious right support McCmain or not?This type of pandering goes on all the time in politics. I don't know why the press is going after Obama, could it be because he is black?

March 19, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  21. Kathy

He should be shaken. He's been exposed. Other politicians have gone down for less. He can't stand up to his pastor. What will he stand up for. Also, is this how he handles being under fire. Give the Clintons credit. They have taken there share of punches.

March 19, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  22. Sylvie

Here are my questions for Obama and the media

If his pastor and mentor for 20 years is of another color then wouldn't we have the same questions? why is Obama still staying with this person? why did he make Wright a spiritual advisor? how much influence does he have on Obama's thinking? So, this issue is all about Obama's character and judgment. It has nothing about race and Obama has made it so to deflect people attention away from the real questions.

If Obama is sincere in his 'choice' to America and explains away Wright's teaching as just anger of the past, then why does Obama continue to help Wright perpetuate this teaching to the next young generation by consciously exposing his children to Wright's teaching for all of their life?

If Obama is a uniter then why is he seeking guilt trips from everyone, why is he inciting the blacks against the rest of the country with his statement "to denounce Wright is to denounce the Blacks". Is he saying the all or the majority of the Blacks hate America and share the same beliefs as Wright?

March 19, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  23. KDH

Thanks Anderson,
    Make sure you ask Mr. Obama why when others were bringing up race, he was quick to run to the PC police. But now that he has to deal with it, he says he is opening the conversation. Didn't Ferraro "open" the conversation too?

March 19, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  24. Brian

Ithink Obama's speech did work. Race-wise he sparked a great dialogue in thsi country, touched on some issues that were important to get out, and he addressed just about all sides to the debate and deeply versus just on the surface.

Politically, I hear many say that he didn't reach the white working class male. That was not the point. The point was to get the endless loop of Pastor Wright crap out of the faces of the working class white males and replace it with his comments about the Wright comments. Now that they see him talking about it instead of the constant clips of Wright himself, he can go into their living rooms and make his pitch which is all he wanted to do politically. He is basically jsut now stating his campaign and when he has a chance to make his case, he does just fine. This speech hs allowedhim to address IRAQ (today), the Economy (tomorrow), and replaces Wrights clips with his own.

Well done Obama. Thank you for your courage, brilliance and leadership.

March 19, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  25. Ginger - Boston, MA

Anderson! You have got to be kidding me. This man rants that Hillary and Bill are making racial remarks and you don't spend "quality time" riding with them. Mr Obama's minister and friend of 20 years makes horrible racial and unpatriotic remarks and you spend you day flying with him. What is going on with you people in the media. This is reverse discrimination and there will definitely be a backlash – hopefully before election day. You have always been my favorite commentator....I am so disappointed in you.

March 19, 2008 at 4:33 pm |
  26. Sue Smith

Anderson, please be a journalist and ask Obama the questions that needs to be asked.

1. Why did you say that you hadn't heard any of the contraversial sermons then turn around & say you did?

2. Why did you talk about your (White) grandmother the way you did? (It clearly shows that bloods not thicker than skin color)

3. Maybe you are not racist, but why would you let your daughters listen to the radical ranting of your Rev. Wright?

4. Do you believe that in exposing your young daughters to these messages, will have an effect on how they view the races in their adult life?

These are just a few questions you might ask him.

March 19, 2008 at 4:33 pm |
  27. bernice

I knew his speech would bring all the underlying bigots and racists out of the wood work in a big way, however take heart Obama in the young you have energized in the USA. The older generations eventually cease to exist and the young you have inspired "Will Remember" what you have attempted to do. It remains to be seen if the country is ready for any kind of real substantive change at this time in history. But you have planted seeds.

March 19, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  28. Donna

I'd like the media to interview Rev. Wright directly and other members of his congregation to see what they think as well..Obama was not the only person there and he should not have to suffer due to some ill guided statements by his pastor. A politician (or anyone else for that matter) having to defend another persons comments is ridiculous, especially with all the other issues we face.

People are really looking for any excuse to not vote for the man and they can't come up with much of anything credible to hurt him so they go after race and religious beliefs..two of the most sensitive subjects in America.

As a member of a mega-church myself, I have heard my pastor say things I don't agree with but I'm not going to up and leave the church after being a member for YEARS..Obama shouldn't have either...and he shouldn't have to justify his being a member.

March 19, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  29. jane

I don't think we'll be past the Rev. Wright issue until there's anything approaching a full answer to why not one person present thought to question him on from where he was getting his facts, seek clarification, etc. Letting hate speech go unchallenged is dangerous.

March 19, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  30. Richard

If everyone here would open their eye's, they would see this speech was about damage control. He could have given the same speech two months ago and it would have meant more. Just more political posturing. But, it was a great speech.

March 19, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  31. kg

Honestly, I believe the whole Obama and Rev. Wright fiasco is being swept nicely under the rug. This is a classic case of REVERSE RACISM. You cannot say if Mr. McCain's or Mrs. Clinton's pastor was spewing out these racist comments against blacks that Rev. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson wouldn't be crying Racists, Protesting, Lawsuits, Marching in the streets, etc!!!!!!! I just don't get it. There must be a double standard where RACISM is concerned!!! That speech Mr. Obama gave did nothing more than condone the actions of Rev Wright due to the Era he was brought up in!!! What kind of excuse is that??? Whoever represents this country whether be President and FIRST LADY better be DAMNED PROUD OF THEIR COUNTRY!!!!!

March 19, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  32. Neil

Crazy uncle my foot, Wright was and is a black racist who Obama supported and still supports. He knew Wrights true colors (no pun intended) and chose to stay in his church for two decades.
    Racism seems to be just as prevalent in the black community as any other.

March 19, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  33. Alice in Fort Myers Florida

I finally figured out what Obama means by "change." He keeps "changing" the side of his mouth he's speaking out of. One side when he can't remember what his racist minister said, and then he – LOL – "changes" and admits he did hear hateful stuff. Same with NAFTA. Same with Iraq – one side when he's against it, the other when he "changes" and says he would send us back there. The man's a chameleon. He's utterly GREAT at "change."

That racist clown will never get my vote. For me, it's Hillary or McCain. And if it's McCain, it'll be the first time I ever voted Republican.

March 19, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  34. rs

I support Senator Clinton. But I thought Senator Obama's speech was simply brilliant and historic.

The Illinois Senator touched upon caricaturization by Conservative commentators. That is just one part. The other commentators caricaturize as well; in this cycle it is of Senator Clinton. The Conservative commentators do it for ideological ends. The others do it for the sake of ratings.

The campaign of Senator Obama caricaturized Ms. Ferraro as a racist. That is unfortunate and dangerous. If Senator Obama truly means what he said in his speech, I think he needs to apologize to Ms. Ferraro for doing to her what the conservative commentators are doing to Rev. Wright- an unfair caricaturization.

March 19, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  35. tony

our people are too ignorent and I donot think that they can comprehend the depth of Obama's message of the future. If they do then they would take his challenge and turn into positive, otherwise we would stuck in the same mud for a long time. Obama is saying, let us wake up and try to find unity in diversity so that the problems that we face can be solved in an united way. He is asking us to love all and serve all, but I do not think that Hillary will allow us to do that.

March 19, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  36. Deborah Williams

I wish the talk of Rev. Wright's comments would stop being the focus of this campaign. One's religious views have nothing to do with the decisions one will make in office. Further, I have been in a situation where I have been in disagreement with my pastor. It is a real uncomfortable feeling. I had to pray and pray about the situation. The answer for me was to stay and not to leave. As important as the pastor is, pastors come and go. It's the relationship that you build in the congregation that is the most important thing. It is important whether or not the congregation is involved in taking care of the least and the lost. If everyone in this country listened to their pastor we wouldn't be in the mess we are in now. We would truly be a nation which did not judge other by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

March 19, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  37. John C

Obama is a socialist racist person. He sat in that church for 20 years +. He calls this man like family. You mean to tell me he hasn't heard the racist rhetoric from Wright HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of times..

His true colors have been shown. He's done. So is Hillary.

Get ready for McCain 2008.. whether we want it or not that is the reality. The dems have done themselves in.

March 19, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  38. james

This is for all the people who can't see the big picture. You all have to seperate the two. Sen Obama is not a direct decendent of slavery, his father was from Africa and was not born in the United States of America and his mother was white. So even though Sen. Obama is charaterized as African American I characterize him as Sen. Obama a bi-racial (African and white American) making him a Bi-racial Sen. So eventhough he associate himself with people who look at America in a negative way because of how America has treated their own does not mean that he take on the same views to the extream but because he is an American he does know the truth about America and how it's Government speak about how it's for the people and it's action is totally the opposite, this is why practally all his life he has worked for the people who have no voice.

March 19, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  39. kheard00

Hi, Anderson,
    I hope all is well after your surgery. I feel that Mr. Obama has proven to be more presidential than any of the other candidates. While directly approaching a very serious matter yesterday, he proved that he has more substance than he has words. Most other politicians would have spoken around the problem or not spoken about it at all. Thanks to Hillary and her campaign for allowing us to see this man in a new light. The release of the 5 year old sermon has I believe back-fired.

March 19, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  40. caroline berney

It appears to me that Barak Obama plays both sides of the race issue over and over again. After hearing statements from Obama's pastor, I now understand Mrs Obama's statement,"for the first time I am proud to be American." If I listened to Rev Wrights sermons for too long I might have a chip on my shoulder too. The sad part of all of this issue is that the young generation in our societies have come so far accepting one another from all heritages. This issue belittles all the progress that had been made over the past generation. Many of us have come from poor families, disavantaged families, single families.. of all colours and heritages..get over it.

March 19, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  41. JENNY OHARA

Dare to print this, CNN -

Isimply do not want to hear from this guy anymore. I heard his "mentor, friend and great advisor" speak about this country and the people in it. I heard his great "mentor", Reverend Wright, spew vile and hatred against whites, Jews, God and this country. I heard his great "mentor" throwing out rhetoric to fuel the fires of racism! And I wondered how a man could sit in a church like that for 20 years and not feel the same way. I wondered how a man could speak of "uniting America" when those so close to him, including his own wife, are neither proud of America nor proud to be an American. And I wondered if Barack Obama doesn't just want to advance his own agenda, as opposed to the AMERICAN agenda. I will not vote for Obama — ever. I'm ready to vote for an African American for President one day, for sure — but not this African American.

March 19, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  42. jessica

Hi Anderson,

I have one question for you and two questions for Obama:

For you:
    Why chose Obama to be the interviewee? Why not Clinton? Do you have comments on the criticism that CNN has given Obama more and favorable coverage?

For obama:

No 1: He claims over and over again that only he can unite the country–that's why, he says, he couldn't wait to jump out and run for president. But hasn't he made the country more divisive than before?

No 2: I think Obama is a good man but I'm puzzled by who's behind him - "Damning America" pastor, "dirty deal" real
    estator, "senior" campaign advisors who messed up his message in contacts with foreign governments..... Does he have good judgement as he claims?

March 19, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  43. Peter

I do not trust this man, after being friend with a hatefull Minister Wright , Obama can not just erase of the hatefull past speeches from his 'uncle'. If he did not know what Wright was believeing then I questiion Obama 's capability to be a President.

March 19, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  44. Adam Franklin

Anderson,

I hope that, in continuing the conversation with Senator Obama and the Wright issue (which I hope will go away soon), you will try to put into context the "God Damn America" comments that Wright made. It seems that those words have never been fully contextualized in the media coverage. From my observation of his comments, he was saying that, given the racism, oppression, and inequities in this country between the haves and have nots, and the history of race relations in this country, to ask God to bless America is somewhat ironic.

Certainly, Reverend Wright could have used kinder, gentler terms, but his point was that God might be very disappointed in the treatment by the majority of certain subsets of American society. Given the fact that Jesus was actively trying to minister to and help the oppressed and downtrodden in his time, the fact that the United States has treated its citizens they way it has, and in some cases still does, should subject it to God's condemnation, rather than his blessing.

All the media focuses on is that phrase, while not exploring the meaning or context behind it. No one seems to be talking about that.

March 19, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  45. Richard Bisser

Looks like Obama finally has an actual issue to talk about. He makes a great speech. Perhaps he should be a preacher?

As far as a great campaign issue, I think not. Perhaps a lot of Americans will be put off by having him shove this stuff down their throat? He already has over 90% of the black vote. This is not going to help him. In fact I think he is now officially done.

March 19, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  46. William

After yesterday's speech, Obama lost my vote and Clinton gained one more.

March 19, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  47. Bill F. Fayetteville, TN

In another interview, when asked about his speech , Obama said "I have no idea how this plays out politically. But I think it was important to do." My question to Sen. Obama would be, " Why did you give the speech now? Would you have given the speech if your association with Reverend Wright had not been exposed? If it were such an important speech, why didn't you make it three months ago. Why Now?"

March 19, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  48. Texas for Anderson & Obama

Anderson,

First, I'd to commend you for your superlative journalism skills. I enjoying tuning in to your show because I feel confident that you will provide unbiased factual information. You are a breath of fresh air, especially in comparison to your competitors on FOX. They are absolutely horrendous. I'm surprised they're still on the air. Nonetheless, CNN has a reputation of being as unbiased and factual as possible. So far, you all have done well.

Secondly, I was inspired by Obama's outstanding speech. Every adult American should be required to read it – word for word – I did.

I am proud to be an American and I would be so proud for Obama to lead our country. I think he has the skills, intelligence and courage to take our country to the next level.

Thank you, Anderson!

March 19, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  49. cynthia forney

If I were Obama's advisor I would not have give Anderson Cooper the time of day! After the way he disrespected him; asking if he would sing God Bless America. It was so demeaning!
    Shame on you Anderson Cooper! When I see your face or hear your voice I turn the channel! I only hope others do too!

Cindy in Ohio!

March 19, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  50. Lynn

How can anyone hold a person responsible for something he did not say . Everyone Pastor or Minister has said things we don't agree with, or they didn"t speak on something that does matter. No one can blame someone unless they have walked in their shoes no matter what color they are. When every AMERICAN is treated as equal this will truely be agreat country, not that is is not a wonderful place. It"s the best. There needs to be more equality. Male, female , white, black, brown, tan, biracial, we are human. WE ARE THE HUMAN RACE, there is not a difference GOD loves us all.

March 19, 2008 at 4:09 pm |