March 19th, 2008
  1. Lilibeth

I'm sure Michael Ware will have a very valid opinion on what the next steps should be for Iraq. If I were one of the presidential candidates, I would get his perspective...

March 19, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Jim

Sen. Obama gave a very good speech today about Iraq/terrorism, but he needs to keep giving speeches – one about Energy, one about Education, Healthcare, etc. one by one, so he can satisfy the undecided voters who are concerned about where he stands.

He has a lot of substance, but you can't tell it by the typical sound bytes that are shown on the news programs. More speeches on actual real issues is the only way to get the media to turn away from all of this pastor nonsense.

One more point – There are a number of critical issues that NO ONE is talking about, neither the candidates or the media.

March 19, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Betty Ann

David Gergen is right. Democrats need to be careful how to pull out of Iraq.
    I really don't think it can be done without hard feelings.

March 19, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Raghida Haddad

Dear Anderson:

I am watching AC360 andI can see the small scar on your face! Thanks for being candidate to tell inform us that you had a small operation to remove some cancer! I wish you continued excellent health and please stay out of the sun!!! I know how much you love the outdoors and nature...but please make sure to protect your skin!

I continue to love your show and your style...truley, you are one of a kind!

Your biggest fan,

Raghida

March 19, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  5. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Micheal Ware is awesome. He lays it all out. No pretense, no spin. Very refreshing. A little nervewrecking that he is embedded with the troops but he can handle it

March 19, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  6. MB

Lisa from MO. The issue is that he has bad judgement and has lied about hearing the pastor make comments. Obama has no ideas of his own, no substance and not qualified. His judgement is not stable and he wants it NOW and HIS WAY. I think he knew some of this stuff was going to come out that is why he wanted Hillary to withdraw early on.

March 19, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  7. EJ - Ohio

"No 50/50 split that is the same as not seating them at all."

What's ironic is that the final delegate count out of both states would not net Hillary much in the way of elected delegates anyway.

I'm all for whatever the DNC supports too but they & the state legislatures should hurry up and decide already. We've been hearing about this day after day and it distracts from the real issues at stake. The rest of us truly have no control over what Florida and Michigan DID and what they decide to DO.

March 19, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  8. Jolene

Erica: I can tell you that I was undecided as we approached the Michigan primary and I specifically didn't vote on the democratic ticket because I felt the vote would be wasted. Besides that, it was not communicated very well that you needed to vote "uncommitted" until days before the primary. Absentee ballots were already getting turned in. People were "hand writing" in candidates only to find out that those votes would not be counted.

March 19, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Our troops are risking their lives everyday of the week. We hopefully can agree that ALL Americans are standing behind our servicemen and women. Iraq is more than a political issue, it's doing what is best for the Iraqi people and the safety of our soldiers.

March 19, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Chuck in Alabama

Of course she "voted for the war." We were ALL ready to kick some terrorist butt. We were ALL lied to about MWD in Iraq.

I think most of us have changed our minds. Why can't she?

March 19, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Patrice

Thanks for the information Ms. Hill. I always thought your clips were previously recorded and that you were not reporting live. I'm impressed.

March 19, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Donna

I am becoming very disappointed in CNN's coverage of the democratic nomination/primary process. I feel it is unfair for you to try to picture Obama as a "saint" and Hillary as a "devil". I thought the job of the media was to report the facts and not their opinions.
    Since Anderson has spent a day with Obama on the campaign trail...will he also be spending a day with Hillary on the campaign trail? If not then, this will only add to the public perception that CNN is showing great favoritism for Obama.
    Obama is playing you all for a FOOL. You all seem to slide right past many comments that he makes that are contradictory. He has begun trying to make the public think he has all this experience, but when you think about it, how could he have 20 years of public political experience when he is only 46? Wouldn’t he have still been in law school 20 years ago? Where’s his experience on foreign policy, other than “He gave a speech where he opposed the war from the beginning.” If my memory is correct, he wasn’t even a Senator when the decision to go to war was made. So for him to say he opposed the war from the beginning means nothing. If he would have had the opportunity to vote, how do we know he wouldn’t have voted for the war? He really needs to drop that line.
    He is the biggest con artist that has ever run for President of the US. I am an educated (Master’s degree) Black American Democrat, earning in excess of 70K per year. There is no way, I would ever vote for him. Should he get the democratic nomination, my vote will go to McCain. My personal belief is that most media experts are Republicans and of course, you want Obama to win, just so McCain can beat him in the general election, because I believe that you all know McCain can’t beat Hillary.

March 19, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Minou, New York City

Michael Ware on top of everything? This is one of the BEST shows ever!

March 19, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  14. Regina Fierke

About re-votes in FL and MI: the deal was made a year before the primaries were actually held. Everyone knew that they were breaking the DNC rules and they did it anyway. Many voters didn't turn out because they thought it wouldn't count. Edwards, Obama and Clinton all signed a statement that they would not actively campaign in those states and that they knew the delegates would not be seated.

If Michigan and Florida are allowed to break the rules this year and then seat the delegates any way then there will be nothing to enforce the rules next cycle.

Obama says that he will abide by whatever the DNC says and is all for a fair solution.

The people of Michigan and Florida should be angry – at the state parties that broke the rules. Vote the bums out!

March 19, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Shelley

Regardless of the democratic primary rules, is it fair to Florida and Michigan VOTERS to not count their votes? Absolutely not. In Florida, where I am from, Gov. Charlie Crist and his republican legislature should be ousted for playing with our election. I smell a conspiracy.

March 19, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Florida Democrat

It's true Senator Obama did not cause the voting problems in Michigan and Florida – that was the ineffective leaders of the Democratic party. Clinton is clearly pushing for revotes now because she cannot exceed Obama's delegate and popular vote lead without those two states. That being said, super delegates would have to support her in greater numbers – despite Obama's pledged delegate lead. This is problematic because, given the current controversy, if the sd's support Clinton, it will likely be viewed in racial terms – that the party is stealing the election from a black man. This is true even if the super delegates may well have legitimate reasons for choosing Clinton in this very close contest. I also believe Obama's refusal to try to further a revote in Michigan and Florida to allow democratic voters to try to decide the outcome is misguided. Obviously, he doesn't want to agree to anything that might allow Clinton to catch up in delegates and/or the popular vote. Thus, his interest in preserving his current lead comes at the expense of Michigan and Florida democrats who want to have their voices heard. Obama's statements that he supports the delegates being seated (in accordance with an arbitrary allotment between the candidates), rather than supporting a full and fair vote to take place, indicates that he is not a new kind of politician, just a very good old style politician.

March 19, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Janet

Clinton and Obama were not the only things on the ballot in Florida. They had many issue to vote on for the state, and that's why they had a large turn out. IF someone didn't vote, then that's too bad, they had a chance, not only for the Clinton/Obama deal, but issues that matter in their state. They should voted just for the issues alone. People can't keep using the excuse that they didn't vote because they didn't think it would count, they had other things to vote on, and should have.

March 19, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Sebbe

No 50/50 split that is the same as not seating them at all.

March 19, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Sheryl

I think that the openess of Obama will force Clinton to open her campaign to the same type of experience. Again, to me this is just another example of the difference in their style.

March 19, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Carmela

Sheri, get over it! Obama is not the candidate you all believed him to be. HE IS FLAWED! He has been caught in several inconsistencies. And, he absolutely would love nothing more than to walk away and not be held accountable for his words. To quote the man, "Words are important!"

March 19, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  21. a.walker

I'm so dissapointed with the Sen hillarys tatics. She has really been playing a real bush type of politics. We the american people thought we were going to be in this race for change .But sen clinton has showed us her true colors. she will do and say anything to win. This is not who I would want to be my commander in cheif. someone who'll try and sell you dreams while knowing the rality is different. she has changed faces so many time during this process. I was torn between the two when the race took form,but after listen to her almost be bush like on my home state in which i still live in is fal. the rules are rules .who really stands for change ? people ask yourself is it someone who's been inside wash for years or is it someone with an new a refreshing approach to this beast we call politics.

March 19, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  22. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Iraq is a huge issue. I don't think any candidate can say for sure what they will do until they take office and all the facts on the ground are given them to make any big decisions.

March 19, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  23. MsEl

Yes, Obama, the war has cost us a trillion dollars and thousands of deaths. This is what is important not, Re. Wright's comments. Let's talk issues everybody.

March 19, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Susan in Michigan,
    You're right,.......... I am agree with you....

March 19, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Ivan

Susan from Michigan,

Question, what if it was agreed that the Delegates were divided 50/50 between Clilnto and Obama and were seated at the DNC convention. Would people in MI be open to that possibility?

March 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  26. Chuck in Alabama

Kurtis, not blaming either candidate.. just wondering why his quote in 2007 doesn't ring true with his current position?

March 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  27. Michael in Lafayette, IN

The candidates did not set the rules in Florida and Georgia. The DNC said that delagates would not count in those states IF the states moved their primaries forward. I know that in Florida at least, the Republicans controlled the process of moving the date forward.

That said, accepting the delegates now, after many did not vote because they knew their vote would not count, is not acceptable.

Why is it that Florida always seems to be the center of these voting problems?

March 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  28. Jolene

@Sheri Richard: Well said. I couldn't agree with you more.

March 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  29. erica hill

I know a few of you have addressed some posts to Anderson tonight. Unfortunately, he's not able to blog with us while he's on location. He'll be back online tomorrow night, though

March 19, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  30. Carolyn

The day after Sen. Obama's speech, we're still seeing the most sensational cherry-picked snippets of Rev. Wright 's speeches, and all we're hearing about is the effect of this controversy on Senator Obama's campaign,

I think CNN (and most of the mainstream mediia) is missing a great opportunity.to begin an honest, in depth dialogue about race. Find working class whites and ask them if and why they're angry. Go to a barber shop, beauty shop or someone's dining room table, and listen in on those conversations. Help us all understand why we tend to see things so differently. Bring out the misconceptions we have about each other, and give us the opportunity to learn.

It seems as if what Sen. Obama said in his speech is coming to fruition – that we are returning to our prospective corners, and allowing race to remain the pink elephant in the middle of the room. This country is about to miss yet another opportunity to begin closing the racial chasm.

March 19, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Kaitlin, PA

This war needs to end. It has cost us too much...too many lives...too much money.

March 19, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  32. DeniseGA

If MI and Fl get a revote, who's to say that will go smoothly?

Florida has a history....do we want to relive the hanging chad, impregnated chad,etc over and over again?

They broke the rules, it will set a precedent and in future elections, we will see more rogue states!

March 19, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  33. Sheryl

Actually, I think it is better that the Republicans will not be able to vote in Michigan if they do have a primary – I know of four people who are republicans but went to the polls in TX just to vote for HRC because they see her as the easiest democrat to beat – if I actually know four of these people, I would guess there were many more.

March 19, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  34. Sheri Richard

Jacob, you must be getting you info from the Clinton website. Obama has stated that he will absolutely abide by the DNC's decision regarding and revotes with Michigan and Florida. That is their decision to make. Obama at no time has disagreed with a revote.
    And for those of you who just cannot willnot let go of Rev. Wright- then don't, I mean- we choose the candidate that works for us, that fits our definition of the right leader, the right stuff in our opinion. I mean really this is your right. So move on already, vote your candidate and get on with- cause you've received the answers about Rev. Wright.. if that speech yesterday didn't do it for you, then you won't get it, you just won't. So good luck with your respective candidates.

March 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  35. MB

Florida votes should count. The election was held only five days early if I am correct. Do you really think many voters were going to vote any different 5 days later. Hillary won the votes give the delagates to her along with Michigan. If Obama is a true lover of the country and her people then he should want the voices of these 2 states heard and if he wins then he would have won fairly. I think if he had won the states then he would be wanting a different outcome.

March 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  36. Dem4Life

Karen – the DNC created the rules – Michigan and Florida broke them. Should that be forgotten? The dem leaders in those states knew the rules and they broke them. They should have to live with their decision.

March 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  37. Susan from Michigan

You can tell by my handle, this Michigan thing is kind of important to me. Our Governor and most the Democratic powers are avid Clinton supporters. Obama has to be careful or they will set things up in a way that are sure to favor her.

I'm sure I'll eventually get a chance to really vote. In our first election Clinton at first agreed not to be on the ballot but then did not remove her name after Obama removed his name. I think she and Kucinich were the only dems on the ballot. Most people did not even go to vote. It was very confusing.

March 19, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Liz - Ontario, Canada

Thank you Erica for your response.

March 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  39. skm

Both Florida and Michigan should respect their voters. Do a revote for gods sakes!! Florida delegates could perhaps be seated accoding to the vote distribution.. but Michigan voters most certainly deserve to have a chance. I think both should be re-voted.

March 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  40. Dem4Life

Janet & Lori Ann I agree with you. Obama rejected/denounced the horrible rhetoric – we need to move on to the real issues.

March 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  41. Carol

Hi Erica,

As usual, Anderson Cooper was the first in New Orleans after Katrina, and he's now the first to speak to Obama after the Rev Wright issue. I think Anderson is so brave and adds an element of fairness to a controversy intended to totally derail Obama's campaign. I only hope that most like me who were already supporting Obama will continue to do so and try to rationalize those people who actually think more time spent in IRAQ will quell the violence in the world regarding the US interference in foreign policies of soverign nations.....I guess when Ron Paul spoke about this it wasn't radical enough; and requires Rev Wright's commentary to make a point.

March 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  42. kate dyson

the press has the power to move on from the reverend wright video clips...please do so. religion has no place in politics. debate on issues such as the war, the economy, health care and indeed the future of the country is far more important. you cannot possibly think the United States will base their choice of president on that...i do not think the American people are that stupid.

March 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Kurtis in Alabama

Chuck, don't blame either Democratic candidate for Michigan or Florida...they should have followed the rules...cut and dry!

March 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Jolene

Thanks Candy. I appreciate your take on the whole Michigan re-vote deal.

March 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Karen

If Obama is for ALL people of the USA, why won't he support the rights of the citizens of FL and Mich to have a voice and vote in this election? Everyone knows that the people did not choose the outcome ... Hillary went (visited them during the elections) to those people even when she knew their votes would not count ... she appears to be for ALL people where as he appears to be a self serving politician.

March 19, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  46. chanel

BOTH! BOTH candidates are playing for time...not just Obama..but the Clinton camp as well. BOTH...are you people listening?

March 19, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Lisa,Mo

Unlike some on this blog, I do plan to continue to support and VOTE for Obama. I say, it is time to move on from the pastor issue. Obama has denounced and rejected AND is distancing himself from this pastor.
    It is time to move on. Let us get back to the issues that are really important. Health care, the economy, the war.
    Please Please please......Enough, move on.

March 19, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  48. ArielAubri

The media won't let this issue die! We are all trying to move on, but each time we turn on the television or radio, we are still, one week later, being beat with this loop.

Barack said we can choose to play a loop over and over again or we can embrace what we are really all looking for – and address what we all really are interested in – the economy, the war, etc.

Can someone send the media that memo.

March 19, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  49. DeniseGA

I agree with Barack, Hillary only wants a re-vote because, she believes it will help her...

I don't believe MI and FL will not vote in the general election.....

This is too important of an election, for them to just throw that vote away.....I have more faith in them then most!

March 19, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  50. Chuck in Alabama

Anderson, Obama said in a Sep 30, 2007 article in the Tampa Tribune that he would "do right by the Florida voters."

Thoughts?