March 19th, 2008
  1. Jacob

Why doesn't Obama support a revote in Michigan and Florida.

I feel that he is the one being political.

March 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Pat

Anderson,
    Thanks for showing some dignity fowards Senator Barack Obama..

March 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  3. Fay, CA

Obama has done a good job addressing Rev. Wright's controversial remarks–I don't believe it will be easy for him to move on from this issue, to address the other important issues facing the country, but it's also important that the difficult subject of race has been discussed more openly than it has been in the past.

March 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Janelle, WY

The voting problem in MI and FL is not Obama's fault. Point the finger at the DNC. Obama has played by THEIR rules- not his.

March 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Jacob

Hi Anderson,

I have read the transcript of the Obama speech. One thing that I can't accept is why he brings in Hillary campaign supporter who made some comments. here is what he said:

We can pounce on some gaffe by a Hillary supporter as evidence
    that she’s playing the race card . . .Or, at this moment, in
    this election, we can come together and say, “Not this time."

Last week Obama DID POUNCE on Hillary Supporter on all Major
    News networks!!!! So this seems inconsistent and thus I feel that he is using a "speech" to pander us – those core people – to continue our support.

March 19, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  6. Joanne

xtina: yes I’ve heard them and I don’t pretend to like them or understand them, but I’m wiling to try to find out where it comes from and help heal those wounds…are you?

March 19, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  7. erica hill

Thanks... we're both pretty normal! 🙂
    I enjoy it, too - it's fun

March 19, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  8. Christine

What a level-headed, intelligent, dignified, fantastic candidate. I am convinced this man would be one of the best Presidents this country has had in its history.

March 19, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  9. Janelle, WY

Robin, no you are not right. Obama last week said he become aware of those specific comments when he started running for the race, but in the speech yesterday he said he had heard some controversal comments. Not necessarily those specific comments.

March 19, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  10. erica hill

We've talked so much about the FL voting issues, now its Michigan's turn to decide what to do. Anyone blogging tonight from Michigan who'd like to weigh in?

March 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Lostfigs

More than anything else, I am a Democrat and I want someone who can win in the Fall; Obama is not it.

March 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  12. Kaitlin, PA

Susan, I agree – Obama did handle it excellently!

March 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  13. Brook

I too have had skin cancer several times, wish you all the best, be sure to get regular check up from your dermo.

March 19, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Sebbe

Yes Erica we love when you and Anderson get to interact like normal people.

March 19, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  15. Monica

Unpatriotic people do not expend the time and energy and go the distance to run for president of the United States. I'd love for just one of these blog posters to explain to me the connection between Obama's supposed lack of patriotism and his run for the white house. Why on earth do you all think he's running? Why would anyone undertake a year of sleepless nights, endless speeches, time away from their family, tremendous scrutiny, etc. campaigning for the highest office in the land for a country that they don't care for deeply? That makes NO SENSE.
    How shallow is someone to completely disavow their support for his candidacy based on a few sermons from his pastor who has preached for over 30 years? Get a grip people!
    Has Obama EVER done anything during his time as a State Senator or a US Senator that would indicate support for Wright's statements? Look at his record people!
    We should be voting for a candidate based on what they can do for all Americans and for our nation to restore us to greatness, not at what the media has chosen to hype for the past 48 hours.

March 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Zane Thomas

Anderson – I am confused... the overwhelming majority of Americans have proven, as evidence by Baracks delegate count, that this election has not been about race. I am disappointed to see Barack choose to make it about race instead of confronting the absurd comments made by his pastor. I support Senator Obama but the general election is going to much tougher as this issue will certainly be used to tear America apart as those on the right have proven to be a ruthless group. I consider myself pretty open minded and sensitive to the sensitivities of others but I have to tell you, as a veteran, the Pastors comments echo strong overtones of hate toward the very nation I devoted 25 years of my life defending... that's very hard to swallow.

March 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Adina

Even though I'm a Clinton supporter, I am discouraged by all the bad-mouthing of Obama. It's one thing to criticize someone's positions, plans or ideas but to personally attack him, Clinton or McCain is just the same old dirty politics that I thought we were all sick of.

I have to wonder if the people that are so outspoken and outraged by Obama's so-called lack of patriotism or that think his support of his pastor is racism, think he has some grand conspiracy to become the president to further some hidden agenda. That seems so far fetched! To me, it smacks of fear.

Can't we all be a little more respectful of these people and each other?

March 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  18. erica hill

Hi, Liz. We, too, would like to have the same access to all the candidates, not just Obama. AC blogged about this earlier today. We have requested the same day on the trail with Sen Clinton but have n't had any luck with her campaign.

March 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Janet

Lorie Ann is right.
    I've been blogging everynight it's open here, and the name calling has to stop. Let's talk issues, facts, solutions, but name calling is very childish. Obama states he runs a clean campaign, let's see it from his supporters too.

March 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  20. JSwift

The Pastorgate controversy has grown tired. Time to move on.

Obama has shown integrity, loyalty and the utmost patriotism.
    He is our next President.

March 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  21. xtina

Joanne- should we also find the Rev Wright's sermons "all very sad"? Have you heard them? They're divisive and anti-Semitic.

March 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  22. skm

Erica, that was such a nice exchange.. we love these interactions..

March 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  23. Sheri Richard

Lostfigs.. Unless you're a superdelegate, you are misspeaking, have you listened to Clinton today? She talked about revotes in Michigan... McCain confused Iran with Iraq... Obama gave a speech and a town meeting regarding Iraq- his concrete plans to end the war.. and take care of our Vets.. Today, by the way is the 5th Anniversary of the War in Iraq. Who is Electible? I pick the guy who wants to get us out of the War, has a Plan, opposed the War from Day 1.. and actually noticed that today on year 5 we are still at war. yes he is electible. thanks

March 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  24. Robin - Chicago

Anderson,

I think it would be interesting to compare a statement made by Sen. Obama during your March 14th broadcast in which he stated that he first became aware of the controversial statements made by Rev. Wright when he first ran for office with statements made during his speech yesterday in which he stated he was always aware of these controversial statements. Clearly the two do not comport.

In addition, it was troubling that he compared the remarks made by his grandmother to those of the Reverand. They are two completely different situations. Your family is chosen for you, you choose your spiritual leader(s).

March 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  25. Susan from Michigan

If we judge elect-ability on the story of the day–then get ready because there is always another story. Just wait till Hillary's tax reports come out.

What we need to look at is how the candidates respond–I think Obama has handled it excellently.

March 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  26. Dawn in Florida

Anderson Cooper you advertised this show as a day on the campaign trail with Obama. Why is it still about Rev. Wright. The stupid media has nothing else to talk about.

Your program is a disappointment to me as are you. Can we hear from the Senator without the mob squad panel of republican and other "neutral Clinton supporters" picking away at his every word.

The media sucks.

March 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  27. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Anderson Cooper and Barack Obama.....my dream 360 😛

March 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Patrice

Anderson Cooper,
    Journalists are suppose to state facts to fiction, so when Ms. Myers, a guest on your show repeats Republican rhetoric and states as fact that Barack Obama did not place his hand over his heart during the pledge those journalism instincts should kick in, Mr. Cooper. That is when you say,"Ms. Myers, your statement is incorrect and here is why, the facts show that at the time the pledge was not being conducted, so there was no need for him to place his hand over his heart." Journalism 101.

March 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Joanne

Lots of Obama negativity tonight....and I find it all very sad.
    Everyone is focusing on trying to crucify Reverend Wright and Senator Obama instead of trying to understand them.
    DID ANYONE HEAR THE SPEECH YESTERDAY?
    Go talk to your black friends and ask them to help you understand where they're coming from. Go to a black church on Sunday and enlighten yourself. Find out why this happens.
    Change comes from within US.
    Senator Obama has said all along that change starts from the bottom not the top. We as individuals have to be the ones who make the move for change.

March 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  30. CHRIS, from toronto

Anderson, sorry to hear about your condition. Hope you are better, you look great on the tele.

March 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  31. Kaitlin, PA

Ivan – I get exactly what you are saying.

March 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  32. Mike

Has Obama ever said anything even similar to Jeremiah Wright? Is their any proof that Obama subscribes to any political views of Jeremiah Wright, ever? If so, which ones? What is so hard about believing that you can have different views than someone who is near and dear to your heart. When I go to church, and listen to my priest who I hold near and dear, I do not agree with him on significant issues: gay/lesbian issues, abortion rights,..some issues related to the war, no female priests, etc... I have best friends who I love that are conservative Republicans (I'm a liberal democrat). The question is, what are the views Obama espouses? Are any of them remotely similar to Mr. Wright. Have they ever been? With regard to words and actions, has Barack ever acted in a way congruent with Wright's political views,..ever?

Mike in Morgan Hill

March 19, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  33. erica hill

this is something i've been looking fwd to all day – the "behind the scenes" look we rarely get. i often wonder how the press corps and the candidates and their people function... there is little sleep, non-stop action and too much caffeine for anyone's good!

March 19, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  34. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

The Pastors's words contained hate. I'm starting to read an awful lot of hateful words on this blog. Perhaps we need to listen and discuss, not shout out more anger and cruel words.

March 19, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  35. xtina

Sheryl in IL – if the media hadn't started making public the Rev Wright rants, Obama was going to put the Reverend on his committee! What're you talking about"learning from his mistakes?" What is the mistake?!

March 19, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Dawn

Anderson it's good to have you back from your surgery. I thought Senator Obama's speech was good. I believe him that he doesn't agree with Rev.Wright and the comments he made. But everyone keeps asking why didn't he speak up or leave the church. Well, in my opinion, he has addressed it and now it's time for let it go and move on to the issues that are keeping working people in this terrible situation. Enough already – If the media would stop beating this horse, everyone could get on with the campaign issues. I'd like to hear in more detail about what he would do about the economy , healthcare and the war.

March 19, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Ivan

Let me get this straight. People are questioning Obama's Patriotism because of the following:

1. No lapel pin (never mind that most of those are made in China)
    2. He didn't put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem (Anybody ever been to a sporting event and count the number of people who don't have their hands over their hearts)
    3. Statements made by another person (Who isn't an elected official or running for office)

This is what our political system is reduced to?

March 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  38. DeniseGA

LENORE.....

You missed the point.....

I have old people in my family who make comments about race.....

I disagree with them, respectfully and move on.....

I do not disown them, I love my family, but I realize that was the ERA they grew up in and have never socialized with other races, I have.....

He was trying to draw contrast to him Grandmother......

Why is it okay to listen to his Grandmother and not Wright?

It is not......so he disagrees with both, but respects both, just the same!!

March 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  39. Liz - Ontario, Canada

Anderson, it would be only fair to spend a day with all the candidates. It would be refreshing and nice to see someone else than Obama.

Thank you and God bless.

March 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Annesue

Hi Erica,
    I honestly think that Americans don't have an idea of what the rest of the world think of them because the comment that Reverend Wright is being condemned for, for saying that what America does to the rest of the world was brought to its own backyard is very true. America's actions do provoke people around the world and that does lead to actions like Sept 11 from people who believe that their human rights and privileges are being striped away from them. I do not condone the words actually used by Reverend Wright, but I do think that the underlying meaning of his words is very true. America has to look at its foreign policy. Instead of making enemies out there,it should start making friends.
    While Reverend Wrights comparisons of Clinton and Obama we uncalled for, he brings out issues that America has to deal with. And that is Racism. Instead of spending lots and lots of time trying to get Obama to denouce his Pastor, America should look at what it can do to heal some those wounds and cross that racial divide.
    Annesue

March 19, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Sheryl, IL

I think Senator Obama is showing us he can over come adversity and make something good come out of this. Afterall we should all learn from our mistakes. I also think the Wright was more of a Father figure to him. I would not turn my back on my loved ones even if I don't agree with everything they say . He's very Presidential. The people that don't like him still won't like him no matter what.

We need to get of this stuff, we have far bigger things to worry about than this. The war, the economy, gas prices, groceries and much more.

March 19, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  42. John Cline

Dee Dee Meyers just reiterated a myth about Barack and the photo of him not holding his hand over his heart. She said that it was during the Pledge of Allegiance, in FACT, the photo was taken during the playing of the National Anthem and one is is NOT required to place their hand over their heart during the National Anthem.

March 19, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  43. chanel

Gary from Toronto...I don't know why people don't see that. Obama is the target now because he is the front runner, but if by some chance Hillary gets the nod you better believe they will ride that train until the wheels fall off as she is not flawless

March 19, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  44. Lostfigs

Elect-ability, elect-ability, elect-ability.

This has nailed the coffin on the issue of electability in the eyes of the DNC and even some of his own supporters.

March 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  45. Phil

Perhaps the following is the most logical question after all is said and done: Is Barrack Obama STILL an electable candidate vs. John McCain or is Hillary the more electable of the two to go against John McCain.
    Also, keep in mind that he is the one who is filibustering any possible resolution to a revote in Florida and Michigan.
    Phil
    Guadalupe, Ca.

March 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  46. Brian Persaud

I can't agree with David on that. As Amy said, all these small things add up, and if he goes against McCain they'll have a whole lot of trivial slip ups to choose from. The more things Obama doesn't address, the bigger of an issue he allows it to become. Obama just can't ignore it and hope it'll go away by election day.

March 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Lenore Zaunere

How can Obama compare his loving grandmother to Wright? A grandmother who, in a difficult situation, in a difficult time, devotedly brought up a black child and who, in private times and conversations, shared some deepest, private thoughts with him.

How different she is from a Wright who publicly, for 20 years, was in a position to influence hundreds, probably thousands of adults and children as a religious figure of authority!

I, for one, fervently hope that the next President of the United States WON'T be beholden to racial and religious value voters like the last.

March 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar

That's right, Janet, Me too I agree with you....

March 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Solomia, Toronto, Canada

hi Erica 🙂
    wow this is truly a really good show tonight on Obama and the church, personally my reason he should leave but that's me.
    And I hope ANderson Cooper feels better I'm glad to see him back, 360 was not the same without him, thank you Erica for letting us know that he is doing well 🙂 you're very nice.

March 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Michael, NC

Right on David Gergen. He has more than the race issue. There's the economy, the war in Iraq, other issues besides race that he needs to handle.

March 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |