March 19th, 2008
  1. Andrew IN

the democratic party needs to be united... now more than ever!! Who's the best person to do that?

March 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  2. Derrick

The guy's a US Senator and he's running for the Presidency. How can anyone question his patriotism? Under the current economic conditions and our involvement in two wars, I question his SANITY for wanting to be President. Give it a rest.

March 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  3. Priya

I agree with David Gergen. Barak has come out better from this speech. Much better today than 48 hours. Though Didi is right too – the association that politicians keep (or anybody keeps for that matter) somehow reflects on them. Even then it displays great charecter on Obama's part that he did not throw his Pastor under the bus.

March 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  4. Carol, WI

Hey Dee Dee Myers, please get your facts straight and stop repeating all the negatives of Obama verbatim. The picture of Obama with his hand not over his heart was not when he was saying the Pledge of Allegiance, it was during the National Anthem. When Obama led the Senate in the Pledge, he did have his hand over his heart.

March 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Lostfigs

The fact that he was FORCED to come out and address this issue without having someone pushing the issue speaks to his inability to fight against the Republicans in the fall. We need a fighter and, in my view, all he has done throughout this campaign is defend himself and his stance.

March 19, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Carolyn

Wake up America Obama in not the judge of his pastor nor Americans God is and if you can't see it all of you are blind stop trying to block him for the white house because it won't work Thank God

March 19, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Mike in Wisconsin

Janelle, WY,

For me, Rev. Wright's comments is more about anti – american agenda than a race issue. For all the things Dee Dee Myers is now mentioning, plays into the church's teachings.

March 19, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Tommy in Tuscaloosa

I had faith in Barack Obama until the more we finally get to hear about him the more he is revealing his truths.

Obama is unpatriotic and he has a motive to take us down as a country. I firmly believe this.

Thank you Anderson, for finally spending revealing all of his troubling problems that you and Dee Dee Meyer's have been discussing!

March 19, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Janet

I am no longer voting for Obama, and either are my friends. If I had a pastor, who I considered my mentor, talk like that I would walk out of the church while he was giving the sermon. The pastor is suppose to be the word of God and set an example. That is no example, and shows very bad judgement on Obamas half. You know the pastor just didn't start last week talking like that. If he thinks this man is great, then I don't want him running our country. Like I said, my friends and I have changed our vote. Hopefully more will follow.

March 19, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  10. erica hill

Hi, Gabriel - Eve Carson was a student at UNC Chapel Hill, Anderson is at UNC Charlotte tonight.

March 19, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar

Yes, lostfigs....... you're right! i am agree with you....

March 19, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  12. Tupper1000

Hi Erica – Hve to comment on last segment that just aired with Ari Fleischer, who sometimes makes reasonable points, but not this time. Obama did a superb job speaking to the American people yesterday about the issue of race in an inteliigent, thoughtful, inclusive and froward-looking manner. If America is still great, he will be the next President.
    Those who still criticize him or question his judgment for not denouncing Pastor Wright now or earlier must, to be intellectually honest and racially unbiased, criticize Republican leaders including Senator McCain. Why? Because they didn't spend the last several years denouncing the leaders of the Religious Right in America who blamed 9/11 on gays, lesbians, pagans, the American Civil Liberites Union, etc. (see Sept. 13 / 2001 edition of "The 700 Club") – in fact they've been currying favor.

March 19, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  13. xtina

shouldn't we be focused on what these Presidential candidates have done that's successful? Doesn't it make sense to talk qualifications now?

March 19, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  14. Gary in Toronto

I disagree with Jim from Monterey obviously. No matter who the Democrats run the 527 groups will run their "swiftboat" ads. It's not like there's any shortage of material on Hillary for them to work with.

March 19, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  15. Lisa from missouri

I totally disagree with Jim from Monterey about Obama withdrawing from the race.
    I think that Hillary should step down. She is doing a good job of mudslinging.
    This is just one person that Obama "keeps company with" and you cannot condemn Obama on one man. Obama cannot be held responsible for what his pastor says.

More importantly, when are we going to move on and get back to THE ISSUES?

Another question I have is why isn't what Geraldine Ferraro's comments still such a big story?

Is the media now becoming bias again Obama? If Hillary can pull that line....so can Obama.

I AM JUST SICK OF HEARING THIS ABOUT HIS PASTOR.

March 19, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  16. DeniseGA

Frank thank you for bringing that up.....

I forgot Wright was a Marine......

March 19, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Patrick Haugen

Ben-I see your point, but not the logic- unless you are related to Mr. Obama.

March 19, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  18. Beth

The outrage expressed by conservative pundits over the Rev Wright comments and Obama’s “failure” to quit his church make me laugh. Sen. Obama made it clear that he disagreed with Rev Wright and denounced the comments. Additionally Obama’s entire campaign and public record are in clear contrast with those comments. These partisan talkers say he couldn’t mean it or he would have left the church. By that argument, Sen McCain, when denouncing this Administration’s use of torture, must not have meant it. After all he did not quit the Senate, the Armed Service Committee or the Republican Party! Isn’t that what the conservatives are claiming one has to do? Oh yeah, I forgot -different rules apply when you are a liberal. I’d like to see McCain denounce Rove for outing Valerie Plame. I like to see McCain denounce Bush and Cheney for intentionally misleading the American people by repeatedly lumping Sadam Hussein and Al Quaida together in the lead up to the war in Iraq. I ‘demand’ McCain quit the Republican party over its fiscally irresponsible expansion of government and reckless deficit spending, its failure to properly equip our troops before sending them to war, and its outrageous lack of response to the Katrina disaster. Aren’t these bigger ‘crimes’ that saying “God Damn the US” when referencing the US history of slavery?

Give me a break! Get over it already!

March 19, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  19. Thomas

Hillary fans, Obama cannot lose his delegate lead unless Hillary wins PA by 25 points and the rest of thr states by 20. And that is NOT going to happen. Obama has brought more money into this campaign than Hillary. He has more popular votes than Hillary. He has motivated more voters and was better organized than Hillary. She was not ready to campaign on day one much less lead on day one.
    So many people cannot stand Hillary and hate her. Especially the GOP. The GOP will be so motivated to stop the Clintons that they will do anything to beat her.
    Obama will be the nominee!!!

March 19, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  20. Rev Mom

I still think Senator Obama showed lack of judgment in not responding to Rev. Wright's sermons earlier than he did. But, I believe him when he says he's been shaken up, and maybe he'll learn from the entire experience. Let's hope so.

March 19, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  21. gby

Anderson – I am troubled by the repeated questions why didn't Obama leave the Church. First of all, those sermons were at another church, second, Black ministers do not preached about politics every Sunday. You are educated but you all are acting like you no sense.
    No one that I know of would listen to sermon like this Sundays after Sundays. Come on let's be real, think for a minute.
    If Obama does not win the nomination because of this, you better get ready for another four years of Bush because my friends and family will not vote for any other candidate.
    OBama 08

March 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  22. erica hill

Hi, everyone. AC is in great shape - I know he appreciates your concern. I hope you're ready for an interesting show... lots ahead from AC's exclusive day on the trail with Obama.

March 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Frank

Jeremiah Wright is more patriotic about America than all of our political pundits put together....he is the only person out there that has served the US in a military capacity....Jesse Owens was considered unpatriotic. When he stood up to Hitler and the America, white America was all gaga over Hitler at that time....we need to realize that as Obama says, America is not perfect and criticism is only proper

March 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Kurtis Bogan

For some people, he will never be able to say enough about the situation(Obama). He explained in detail the view of Rev. Wright and many African Americans and the way that church is carried out in the black community. We love you Barack!!!!

March 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Lostfigs

Obama's campaign is over. He needs to move out of the way and let Hillary run with the ball to the end zone. The Republicans are chompin' at the bit trying to get at him and they are going to tear him up.

March 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Mike in Wisconsin

What does Rev. Wright's recent retiring have to do with Barack Obama and his family attending the church for 20 years?

March 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  27. DeniseGA

To all those upset over Wrights words, ask yourself this...

Wright was a young black man in the 50's and 60's, so he felt the brunt of racism in this country.......

If you are soooo upset over words, how can you not accept Wrights anger, when he was physically and mentally tortured during that era.

Barack did not say those words, but he understands where the anger comes from.....

Stop calling Barack racist, he is not, he just has the understanding that you don't.......

You only heard a few sound bites of Wrights sermon, and you didn't hear the whole comment........

I don't agree with Wright but I understand and I don't blame Barack for someone else's statements......

Remember you haven't seen Wright in his day to day life, you don't know what he says!!!

Stop spewing the hate, and acting racist!!!!

Stop calling Barack a liar, he said he didn't hear those statments that made it on air, but had heard some controversial statements before. And again we don't know what those statements were.....

Slow down and listen and stop praphrasing lies, because you don't like Barack!

March 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  28. Sebbe

We have to go with Hillary. It is NOT about who would be the best president. Clearly that is Obama. It is about who can win againt McCain and that is Hillary

March 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Kiki

Well i see Obama havent gotten off the hook with his pastor speeches.

And in a lot of ways Pastor Wright has talked about issues that America does not want to face/answer/deal with.

No one's answered why the country's been attacked on 9/11.
    A component of it has to be American self righteous policies, think so?

March 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Priya

Love the question on patriotism. And liked Obama's answer. I agree with him.

March 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Lesli

Personally I felt that the delivery of the message by Obama sounded stilted and did not have the emotion and the fluidity of speakers like Bill Clinton and King.

Because of this I didn't feel that Obama connect with much of the audience and it just didn't seem to ring true. Great words, but poor delivery.

March 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  32. xtina

and all good thoughts for Anderson's complete recovery. . . it's especially important to wear sunscreen if you fly alot , you get more harmful rays at altitude. . .

March 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar

I am so exciting to see Anderson is back to work from surgery!!! Yay!!

March 19, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Janelle, WY

We shouldn't go with Hillary now just because she would be a safer bet. We need to go with the person who would be the best President- and I think that is Obama. We shouldn't shy away from having an open discussion about race.

March 19, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Jim from Monterey

Senator Obama should immediately drop out of this campaign. In fact, myself as african american and hard core democrat will write to my congressman and senator and the DNC to pressure the senator to quit the race. Republicans have all the ammunition they need to take him down bigtime, if he becomes the nominee. We democrats know how to lose and we are in the process of doing that exactly. You judge a man by the company he keeps. The senator has clearly failed again and again in his judgment. We all love this country and it is the greatest country ever and to those who do not agree on this and are not willing to work together, then they should go somewhere.

March 19, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Billi

Why would Senator Obama say that Senator Clinton is a conventional candidate – excuse mem she is the first female!

Senator Obama is looking much less confident and less arrogant.

March 19, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Andrew

Over 4 years ago my wife attended Trinity Church. She stopped going after hearing seemingly racial comments from preachers. This church has a history, and Obama, a longtime churchgoer, knew about this very fully.

March 19, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Saani Tucker

Lets have a legal disscusion about the clintons in the white House. after watching so many of hillary's supporters talk about her experience in the white house, and how she was there front and center, they speak about her influence on america as first lady. this worries me. Why? her husband was once the president of the U.S. Its a reasson why presidents only get 2 terms. Bill Clinton is legally binded by law. in essence were not just voting for hillary were also voting for Bill. This would be his third stay in the White House. Hillary Has stated her role in the Presidency of her husband, in return Bill can't deny what his role would be in hers. im very concerned. Why? the same organization that heavely funded Bill's Campaign also Heavily Funded Bush's campaign. Look at the facts America. The Clintons helped Corporations take our Jobs Over seas(NAFTA). Now there running again with the promise to bring them back. They have proven during this election that they will do anything to win. They our a team, who had thier shot at the white house. Now they're Back under another first name. Not fair, we have laws against what there trying to do.

March 19, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Priya

Anderson – hope you are doing fine after your surgery. Great idea on spending the day with Obama. Look forward to listening to it.

March 19, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Gary in Toronto

I've been wondering about all of the poll results in Rangel's district in Harlem – 80 plus – that showed 0 votes for Obama on super Tuesday. The other day Bill boasted about Hillary's victory there and I've never seen any follow-up on what actually happened there.

March 19, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Alicia

Wolf,

The term "fall-out", used by CNN in reference to Senator Obama's "race speech", has a pejorative connotation. Fall-out, defined by Oxford, is "radioactive debris caused by a nuclear explosion or accident"; or "the adverse side effects of a situation". I don't think the term applies to the reactions to the speech, which are overwhelmingly positive.

Thanks.

March 19, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Sebbe

Obama did not go far enough to distance himself from this nightmare. The independents (Republicans) are fawning for this to be played over and over and over until election day. We must now go with Hillary. She was right, she is the most vetted, everything they can throw at her is old news.

March 19, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  43. skm

Hi Erica,
    Looking forward to blogging today.

Obama has pals like Slum Lord Tony Rezko, Louis Farrakahn, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, etc. Are the Obama people in denial??????

March 19, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Ben

Why the pundits and people who insist that Obama should "disown" his minister is beyond me. Why would I vote for someone who would disown somebody they consider family?? Seems to me, I would just be asking for a president who would turn his back on me!!
    Can anyone see my logic?

March 19, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Mike in Wisconsin

Did Barack Obama black Anderson eye? :

CNN is covering John McCain misspeaking about Iran.

CNN is covering Hillary Clinton was in the White House during Monica Lewinsky. Out of 11 thousands pages of documents this is the first thing to be reported?! So what, not like she was watching it happen! The White House is a big place. How is that news!

What I did not see on CNN today, what the controversial radical racist group, The Black Panthers endorsement of Barack Obama today!

I was looking forward to hearing Obama “reject and denounce”, another lame speech or not accepting responsibility for his actions. You can make Obama and the stage appear presidential. Obama can deliver another elegant speech for the media to buy. But, actions speak louder than words!

Barack Obama would be an excellent civil rights speaker/activist, but not President of The United States. That became clear to me yesterday during his speech.

I voted for Barack Obama in Wisconsin, I now “reject and denounce” that vote! In the general election I will be voting for another candidate, which at this point will be John McCain, since the MSM shafted/derailed Hillary Clinton.

March 19, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. xtina

E- do you think it's up to the media to bring viewers back to discussing the qualifications and track records of these candidates. Isn't that what we should be talking about?

March 19, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Barrie

Hi,Anderson,
    It's soo good to see you back tonight.
    You have really been soo busy, Know it will be a
    great show.

March 19, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, Ohio

Erica,
    Dan Abrams wished Anderson a speedy recovery on his program tonight. Please pass it on.

March 19, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Gary in Toronto

Compare Obama's thoughtful moving speech on Tuesday with Clintons insightful observations that issues of race "are complicated" and "important".

Only one President amongst these two and it ain't Clinton.

March 19, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

good evening Erica

Looking forward to tonight's show

March 19, 2008 at 10:00 pm |