March 19th, 2008

How do you get to Fayetteville?

Fayetteville, N.C. 2pm
Catching my breath for the first time today... it's finally setting in that I'm on a campaign plane with the press (sitting next to Annie Leibovitz no less) following Sen. Obama around North Carolina today.

It all started LATE last night a little before show time. I'm an editorial producer for 360° which involves booking guests for the show as well as coordinating the interviews – sounds simple when you put it that way, but in reality it always ends up being an adventure.

Top interviews, such as Sen. Obama can take months – or even years – to set up depending on the nature of the interview you're trying to get. I've been working on setting up a behind-the-scenes day with Sen. Obama for a LONG time now. So when Sen. Obama's press person called us last night to invite us to join them today on the trail we jumped at the chance.

But then we realized mid-jump that we had to get to Fayetteville, N.C., by 10am for Sen. Obama's first event – NOT the most accessible place to get to last minute. After a few hours of resourcefulness on the part of our Unit Coordinator, and a few hours of sleep for us, we're here – and will be bringing you some fun behind the scenes moments that people rarely see... as well as a fabulous sit-down interview Anderson just conducted with Senator Obama on the trail today.

Oops, we're in our "final descent into the Charlotte area" – see you tonight in Charlotte!

– Jackie Puskas, 360° Editorial Producer

Filed under: AC360° Staff • Barack Obama • Behind The Scenes
  1. molly

I think CNN isdoing as much as anyone to keep the story about Reverend Wrght at the top of the news, limiting the amount of airtime to cover the real issues. Please stop playing those videos over and over. I think most of us have already seen them multiple times. The voters deserve to have as much coverage as possible of th.e real issues

March 19, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  2. Melissa R, Louisiana

I am thoroughly enjoying the show tonight. No "right wing" spin, just pure journalism at it's best.

My hat is off to you Anderson for your piece on Senator Obama. Thanks for showing us the truth about this awesome young man. I believe America can become all that he speaks about in his speeches. I'm suddenly listening more to what he is actually saying as opposed to what others are saying about him.

Now if the rest of the media could be this unprejudiced in their reporting. Also be the first to move past this mess and on to the issues at hand in this election.

Anderson please go in the direction that no one journalist is willing to go, back to the issues.

God Bless You Anderson!

March 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  3. Barbara

The Obama Campaign must be high fiveing all over. You and other CNN programs have annointed him Mr. President. Honestly I see CNN like FOX so fair and balanced.

March 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Rose Hann

I am buying a second home in Fayettville next month. Take I95. If your in the neighborhood stop by.

March 19, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  5. Leigh, Charlotte, NC

So close. I live in Charlotte and would like to see the live broadcast, but on the other side of town. I will watch from home. Enjoy the Carolinas. It is worth the effort to get here.
    I do hope you get to see the other campaign too. I look forward to what you get.

March 19, 2008 at 9:38 pm |
  6. Neil

Man......It's incredible to watch the MSM GUSH.....I mean GUSH over BHO! Great journalism this is NOT! From AC to Campbell Brown, Wolf Blitzer, Chris Matthews, Terry Moran, etc......disgusting. Hardly any critical questioning at all, SNL wasn't even close to this circus!

March 19, 2008 at 9:38 pm |
  7. chanel

I am looking forward to this interview.

A lot of you people are hypocrites and should look in the mirror before you try and judge someone else. First, we should not vote for Obama because he is all words...but now we should not vote for Obama because of the WORDS of HIS Pastor? Unreal.

March 19, 2008 at 9:32 pm |
  8. Andy

I think you exercised poor judgment in taking the Obama camp up on this offer. They are only looking for positive press after finally being caught. Most of you Obama coverage is positive. Don't do further damage and solidify people's impression that you are just another Obama shill by fawning all over him. If you had a chance to ask questions, I hope they were probing and you don't just try to make him look good.

Are you planning to do the same thing for Clinton and McCain?

March 19, 2008 at 9:31 pm |
  9. Jeana

Well Anderson I hope you didnt have to get pre-approved questions but I feel like Obama can't/won't answer anything unless he has time to think it over.

March 19, 2008 at 8:19 pm |
  10. Ruby Coria, LA., CA.

Jackie, so Obama is a hot item I'm glad you got him while his hot. I am not to happy with him even though some of what his Rev. says is true. A mentor? inspiration? couldn't say anything because of respect? He is blood to him (family) blood is thicker then water. Words do count, any the truth hurts, this is a damn tough call. The Rev. said "The Gov. lie" Obama is running for President is the Gov.?

March 19, 2008 at 6:56 pm |
  11. Dominique

Lucky you... would love to really see Barack and how all of this is put together. He is one of the most wonderful campaigners I think our nation has seen since Teddy K.

March 19, 2008 at 6:52 pm |
  12. paul v

Thanks Jacki,

I'm looking forward to this interview. I watch 360 everynight and I'm hoping Anderson had a great and open "mind", "eye", "voice", and "ear".

March 19, 2008 at 6:41 pm |
  13. Annie Kate

I had to smile at your question about how to get to Fayetteville from here- you get a lot of those questions down here in the South. Most of the places that are hard to get to though are the ones most worth the trip.

Hope the storms we're having in Alabama don't come your way until after broadcast time and hopefully not at all. Looking forward to seeing Anderson's report.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

March 19, 2008 at 6:41 pm |
  14. Lorie

WHEN are you going to do an EXCLUSIVE interview with Hillary? Every time I turn on CNN it is Obama I see and quite frankly I am getting VERY sick of the one sided coverage. Why don’t you just admit to the world that you are a Obama groupie and get it over with!!! He is a racist.....all he did was talk up his pastor yesterday!

Go Hillary!!

MODERATOR: Lorie – Anderson blogged about this today LINK. We've requested an interview. Sen. Clinton has not accepted.

March 19, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  15. vera

try map quest AC and while your down there maybe you can get Obama to go to Durham with you and he can explain to the lacrosse players at Duke why they must not be bitter because they were the target of black racism and sexism and ,well; if thier lives were ruined it's thier fault because they just don't deserve justice. because they are white

March 19, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  16. Jonell Nixon

I am so into the fact that u would be there with AL and on BO plane to make a broadcast.

jonell:}

March 19, 2008 at 6:08 pm |
  17. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Sounds like a hectic day. I look forward to the Obama interview, and will be looking for the Clinton and McCain one on one interview as well. I hope they all will take you on a plane and spend the day with you guys. It's what we Americans need to see. How a person acts when their guard is let down speaks volumes about them as people. Candid camera so to speak.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

March 19, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  18. xtina

"Fabulous interview?"

So did Anderson ask Obama:

-Are you proud of the men and women of the United States Military?

-Why don't you feel compelled to put your hand over your heart in the presence of the American flag?

-What spiritual enlightenment can be gained by someone who says 'God Damn America' ?

-Do you think the government already takes too much in taxes out of the check of the avg. American?

-Did you vote to cut taxes for the avg. American once during your political career?

-What are your qualifications for President?

-Why did you vote "Present" repeatedly in the Senate, instead of voting "Yea" or "Nay"?

-What did you do for Illinois that presented the most difficult challenge to overcome?"

-Should we increase our support of the military through more funding?

-Which government programs should be cut?

March 19, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  19. Kelly

Wow, Obama has Annie Leibowitz on his campaign trail? I'd love to see a list of his expenses!

March 19, 2008 at 5:50 pm |