March 19th, 2008

Gearing up for the live show

ALT TEXT

Anderson on the campaign trail with Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama. Watch tonight on 360° 10p ET

As you've probably seen, Anderson is on the trail with Sen. Barack Obama today. This time his trail takes the show to Charlotte, North Carolina. Specifically, we'll be on the campus of University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

I've been walking around campus all morning and the election is definitely the buzz.  In past elections, there’s always been talk of the "youth vote," yet it has never materialized the way experts have predicted.  This year has seen an increase in campaigning for the youth vote through social networking sites like ‘Facebook’ and ‘MySpace.’ Some campus leaders I've spoken with say those sites are helping to energize the college-aged crowd…

It is helping to generate more interest in the actual candidates and issues.  There’s a heightened interest on the issue of the economy and on the issue of Iraq, on a day that marks the 5th anniversary since the war began.

I'm anxious to see if this materializes into big numbers among the "youth vote" in November.

Anderson will hit these issues and many more during his interview with Sen. Obama.  Tune in tonight as we are live on the beautiful campus of UNC Charlotte.  The 49rs are ready for Anderson!!

– Kay Jones, 360° Booker

Program Note: Watch Anderson's report from North Carolina , on the campaign trail with Barack Obama, tonight on 360° 10p ET.

Filed under: Behind The Scenes
  1. Dee from Houston, Texas

I really did enjoy you and Obama, Cooper. I can understand the brackets too, I have been predicting too. Obama is so genuine.

March 20, 2008 at 9:18 am |
  2. Victoria

Hey!

Can't wait for the show...Anderson's interview with Obama will be interesting to watch.

Anderson you are in my prayers...get better soon.

OBAMA ROCKS!!!

March 20, 2008 at 2:10 am |
  3. Carl Dizon

Thanks for broadcasting from our University!!!!

March 20, 2008 at 1:39 am |
  4. Matt Rowell

Anderson was awesome! I was front row for his live broadcast at UNC Charlotte. I got to talk politics with him after, get a few pictures and an autograph. I think he was definately impressed with our turnout, calling us "the best crowd he's ever had."

Come back soon! Thanks again, Coop!

Matt Rowell
    Political Science Major
    UNC-Charlotte

March 20, 2008 at 12:04 am |
  5. Donna

How can he move on if you keep asking

March 19, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  6. Donna

Anderson I can say thanks in advance for giving us the opprtunity to see the Senator from Illnois in an un bias interveiw.I personally am not the Youth of this country and I have come in the past few dys to support this man because I see he is sincere.....I think you guys have that in common ?.......

Thanks Again!

March 19, 2008 at 8:30 pm |
  7. Judy

People vote in accordance with their age. The older you are, the more likely you are to vote. Senator Obama is hitting the campus to get the young voter. With "an Uncle" whose sermons emphasize the hatred in America, rather than its strengths, he's going to need all the young voters he can muster. As for us baby boomers, he should have foreseen a vile pastor is not a vote getter, especially amongst those that make it their business to get to the polls.
    Tell Anderson to wear an SPF of 45, having had similar surgery.

March 19, 2008 at 8:26 pm |
  8. Debby

The UNCC student body is beyond excited about Anderson's broadcast tonight. I think a major factor in why so many students are so eager to participate in the election this year is that people are actually taking the time to stop and ask us about it. We aren't being ignored and our opinions are being taken seriously. Its a nice change from the condescending ambivalence we're used to getting.

Debby
    UNCC c/o 2008

March 19, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  9. Marcia Warren MI

Fine the young people are coming out for the primaries and listening to the candidates, but will the momentum last until November, I don't know. In the last election the youth vote was one of the most coveted – they all went for Kerry pre election. However, when the big day came only a fraction of the youth of America turned out to vote. Hopefully it won't happen this time, but there are still many more days till November 4th and if the candidates want the youth vote or any vote for that matter they better start talking about the issues.

Good thoughts going out to Anderson.

March 19, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  10. Giovani

UNCC Welcomes Mr. Cooper and Obama!

2007 Alumni
    UNC-Charlotte

March 19, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  11. Anne- Newfoundland,Canada

I am looking forward to the program tonight,and Anderson's interview with Senator Obama.
    It should be an interesting show.
    The campaign trail looks very tiring,and sometimes I wonder how the candidates keep up with such busy schedules-all that travelling,all the speeches, sticking to schedules.....it is amazing how they do not all come down with the flu or something-it must be very draining.
    Of course, the same can be said for all the reporters and press people too,I guess.

Anderson:
    I just saw your previous blog post about your surgery.
    I hope everything went well for you.
    I wish you all the best,and my thoughts and prayers are with you for a quick recovery.
    Take care of yourself.

Anne

March 19, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  12. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Kay,
    I'd be interested in hearing what the students feel will be the specific, concrete changes that they believe Obama will bring to their lives. Are those changes not possible with Clinton?
    Anderson's skin cancer is a reality that millions face each year. I wish him well. I doubt whether anyone will be focusing on his stitches with the Obama, Clinton, saga in the spotlight tonight. Take Care.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

March 19, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  13. Cindy

Yeah it is great to see such a large number of young voters coming out to the rallies and showing up at the primaries to vote. But will they actually come out in such large numbers in November when it really counts? That is the real question. It seems in the past they have gotten all invigorated with the whole process but in the end they didn't come out to put a period on the run. Maybe this time will be different.

Looking forward to hearing what Obama has to say next after his big speech. Maybe Anderson can ask him why at first he said he hadn't heard of any of the sermons that Wright gave but in his speech he said he had heard of them.

Cynthia, Covington, Ga.

March 19, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  14. Lilibeth

Hi Kay, I look forward to the show tonight! Looks like we'll be seeing a lot tonight...your day on the campaign trail, Anderson's interview with Mr. Obama...and the venue should be awesome. I actually didn't expect to see Anderson tonight...I thought he was on vacation until I found out from his earlier blog about the surgery. I missed his blog because I was at the doctor's office myself. Please give him my best wishes.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

March 19, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  15. Jaynee

Anderson – had I known you were going to be in town today I would have made sure to invite you over for dinner before the show. So sad – I'm sure you have plans already by now.

Hope the show is great!

March 19, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  16. Tita

Can you tell us if Anderson will be with Obama all weeK? University of ORegon on Friday??? Let us know.
    Kind Regards,
    Tita
    Eugene
    ORegon

March 19, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  17. Annie Kate

The youth do seem energized by this election. My college daughter at the University of Alabama is a fervent Obama supporter. She voted in the primary and I'm sure will vote in the general election. All of her friends are the same way. Maybe the younger generation in this election will be better at picking a president than we were in 2000.

Looking forward to the show.

Annie Kate