March 19th, 2008

Anderson's View: On the road with Obama

ALT TEXT

Anderson on the ground in North Carolina and on the campaign trail with Barack Obama. Watch tonight on 360° 10p ET

We are with Senator Barack Obama on the campaign trail in North Carolina today. As we all know, it's been a tough week for Obama, and after yesterday's speech on race he is hoping to turn the focus to Iraq.

Lingering questions remain about Sen. Obama's relationship with the controversial Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and we'll talk with him about those questions, as well as Iraq, the economy, and the campaign.

On a personal note, I've been off for the last couple of days. I had minor surgery on Monday. A small spot of skin cancer was removed from under my left eye. I hadn't planned on mentioning this, but I still have stitches and you'll no doubt notice them tonight. Don't want you to think I got into a fist fight with Charlie Rose.

– Anderson Cooper

Program Note: Watch Anderson's report from North Carolina , on the campaign trail with Barack Obama, tonight on 360° 10p ET.

1. Cynthia

I heard Senator Obama's speech. I know it is hard for some people to believe, but unless you are black, you cannot know how hard it is in america to catch a break. Everywhere you go, people see you as a black person, regardless. That is why we try sooo hard to fit in. To dress nice, to have nice things, so that people notice those "things" instead of the color of our skin. You can not expect us to just forget about all the injustices that were done to us and our ancestors. We didnt make all that stuff up, it happened here in America. Now dont get me wrong, I would not want to live in any other country in the world, but it is very hard for blacks, especally black men/boys. Obama is lucky, in that he does have white family members. However, when people look at him, they dont see that he is half white, they see A BLACK MAN!!! Never mind he is a Harvard graduated, never mind he is a successful lawyer, never mind he is a US Senator, he is STILL just a BLACK MAN.

March 19, 2008 at 12:55 pm |
  2. skm

Dear Anderson.. I hope you are ok. I heard about the surgery.

Well, you are certainly giving a lot of time to this candidate..
    But we know he lied. and is now trying to recover the derailed campaign and candidacy.

I hope you have a day with Hillary? That would be nice to see right on the heels of this.

By the way, I read this in one of the Blogs, and it captured what I was thinking, so I quote:
    Obama’s speech yesterday in Philadelphia had a similar effect. He had been expected to dispel, once and for all, any question that he sympathized with the hateful, racist anti-Americanism of his pastor, Jeremiah A. Wright. Instead, he failed to break with Wright, and used the occasion to attack his political enemies and to revisit a frayed list of racial grievances. For Obama, this is the beginning of the end.
    His supporters are crowing about what a triumph the speech was, how historic and how groundbreaking. The hype and hyperbole are a sign of the deep insecurity they rightly feel about what was revealed today. Senator Obama 1) did not apologize; 2) did not break with Wright; 3) did not provide a way forward. He did not quote the Bible even once—quite astonishing, given that religion is at the heart of this affair.

Here's my add: And he doesnt say the pledge of allegiance....

Anyway, be safe.. be well... and I hope to see you on Day with Hillary. Come to think of it, it would be far nicer to see you on CNN than Worlf Blitzer.. and of course Hillary!!!!

Thanks.

March 19, 2008 at 12:55 pm |
  3. EJ - Ohio

It'll be good to have you back Anderson. I hope you did get a lot of well-deserved rest and we all wish you a speedy recovery.

I was moved by Obama's speech. As he said he's not naive enough to think that 1 speech or 1 election cycle is going to cure all of society's problems regarding race. I think Barack has done all he can regarding Wright's comments. I personally was happy that he did not disown his pastor or his church. American who attend church know that the church is like an extension of your family.

It was a very honest and powerful speech. It really makes one think about the relationships in their life and how race has played a part in those relationships – whether they've been positive or negative experiences. I not only admire the way Barack can give a speech but I admire how he actually seems to reach deep within himself and try to search for answers so he can reach out to others. I wish Obama all the best. He truly is a unique individual who has so much to offer America. The neat part is that he actually believes "we" have more to offer to ourselves. Oh – the audacity to hope...

March 19, 2008 at 12:54 pm |
  4. Barbara

People in America are so nasty and cruel; judgemental and always ready to execute somebody – and all live in glass houses and need to sit down and be quiet.

That's why we're in the mess we're in today; stop acting like you're so righteous. How quickly have we forgot about the bed sheets, the KKK and and hangings that my people suffered. Try living through 400 years of that and see how much anger you won't have when it's over.

Why should Obama disown his pastor; I don't see anybody disowning their people who wore those bed sheets, hung us from ropes and raped our women??

March 19, 2008 at 12:54 pm |
  5. Paris

Leonard, Obama is being held accountable for his own action and not Wright.
    Lack of judgment, and ability to standup to someone who has no respect for this nation as a whole.
    Obama must be accountable for his choices for the past 20 years.
    Oh, lets not forget he lied.

March 19, 2008 at 12:54 pm |
  6. purplegummiebear

Hi Anderson, I'll be praying for you. I'm writting to tell you to use vitamin E cream after the stitches come out will help it not scare. I was in a car accident 3 years ago and the windshield shattered and some of it hit my face. I was a mess, but I used vitamin E cream and I have no scares. Thought I'd pass that info to you so you can get some and try it. And don't scratch it nomatter how much it itches.

March 19, 2008 at 12:52 pm |
  7. Dahlia

I am so very tired of the naysayers. They are the ones who did not even listen to the speech. They already had their minds made up before one word came out. They are the ones who are not willing to put the negativity behind and move forward. They are the ones who could care less what they leave their children. This is the most important thing–get off your high horse and stop acting like you are sinless. You are not Jesus Christ and we are all full of sin. Obama acknowledges he is not perfect and neither are you. So stop with this crab in the barrell mentality. When one is almost to the top, the rest of the crabs are grabbing & pulling him/her back down. Let someone achieve something and be happy for that person. Show your children or any person that you can be a big and better person.

March 19, 2008 at 12:51 pm |
  8. Jerry

Anderson, lets ask Obama about; why OBAMA STANDS BEHIND SPIRITAL ADVISOR WRIGHT!
    “Wright is like an uncle you love and respect” This is a man who believes the U.S. government formulated the HIV virus to commit genocide against blacks and that it is also responsible for the 9/11 attacks.Rather than break ties with his demagogic, anti-American pastor, Barack Obama used a speech on race to excuse his behavior and sweep the controversy under the rug. Passing the buck is not very presidential. In a major speech Tuesday, Obama condemned the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's shocking verbal assaults against the U.S. dating back to 2001. but in April of last year, Obama was quick to demand Imus' ouster for making a racially insensitive remark.

How does Obama consider someone a Mentor and friend for 20 years and not know their hateful racist values and character?

March 19, 2008 at 12:50 pm |
  9. r carpenter

I support John McCain and favor Barack Obama as the democratic nominee.

Obama's live speech today to end the war in Iraq on day one truly shows me he lacks experience to be commander in chief.

Does he think that terror will go away on day one also?

What about the "expert" commanders on the ground, does their opinion get overridden that easy?

March 19, 2008 at 12:48 pm |
  10. Paris

Anderson, please ask Mr.Obama to explain his response on Imus vs. minister Wright. He said “Imus wouldn’t be working for me” why the double standard?
    Obama can’t even defend us from his minister let along terrorists?

March 19, 2008 at 12:48 pm |
  11. Sarah, Canterbury UK

Hi Anderson

Just want to wish you all the very best for a full recovery. I am sure you are being very well looked after.

Kind regards

Sarah

March 19, 2008 at 12:47 pm |
  12. Ro

I feel that Senator Obama explained his relationship with his pastor eloquently, in his speech. It is one similar to a family member. His relationship is one that has developed over many years of interacting with his pastor on a personal level. Like in any family, you will hear or see family members say or do things you do not always agree with. But when the positive qualities out weigh the negative, the relationship is maintained. To do otherwise, would be like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I admire Senator Obama for understanding that his pastor is human and remaining loyal to his positive qualities. It shows his loyalty and strength during adversity. It shows me that he will be loyal to those who depend on him when he becomes president. He knew the potential risk for standing up for what is right in a close political campaign and he still chose the high road. These are the type of qualities I am looking for in a presidential candidate.

March 19, 2008 at 12:47 pm |
  13. Mark, VA

Senator Obama gave a great speech on race yesterday. But why did he give that speech yesterday and not at the beginning of the campaign or a year ago or 3 years ago? This was a speech that was needed years ago, so we could have built upon it since. His speech, while important, was unfortunate. It was unfortunate because he was “forced” to give it. He is now fighting for his “political” future. His speech, while insightful, stunk of saving himself rather than society. His speech, while pertinent, comes at a time when he saw his campaign siding downward, along with public opinion. His speech, while eloquent, did not change the poor judgment he made by maintaining a relationship with Rev. Wright. Senator Obama tried to form parallels between his “white grandmother” and Rev. Wright. The difference is that his grandmother is his family and you cannot change that, while Rev. Wright was a choice. It was a choice on who he chose to be his personal “spiritual advisor”. After all the rhetoric of Rev. Wright that Senator Obama stated he knew about, but that he does not condone, he still chose Rev. Wright as his “spiritual advisor”. How does someone come to the conclusion to make someone his/her “spiritual advisor” when they preach intolerance and hate against other Americans and Country? There are not many things, other than maybe your wife or children, more personal to someone than their faith. Faith runs deep down in someone’s soul. It is who they are. To let someone in your life that is so divisive that has the influence of a “spiritual advisor” calls into question Senator Obama’s judgment, credibility, and integrity. Senator Obama has based his foreign policy campaign on his “judgment”, being right, as trumping Senators Clinton or McCain’s experience. President Bush has been criticized by some for his religious beliefs influencing him on making decisions. What is Senator Obama going to rely on to make decisions in the White House should he be elected President? What influences is he going to take to the job? These are questions that I believe many Americans are still struggling with. In many cases it is not the question of who we can trust to be President, it is who can we trust “most” to be President.

March 19, 2008 at 12:47 pm |
  14. latricia

Oh Anderson, i will keep you in my prayers, as far Obama, Its a shame a man is being judge by his pastor, no one agrees with everything their pastor say, and you do not leave the church because of that, if we did there would be no one in church.

Also his pastor is wrong, and black churches do not preach like he do.Black churches preach the word of God,and preach on the Holy Spirit. His pastor is and idiot and the people that follow him, do not have it all either. Please know, that black churches is not like his church.

March 19, 2008 at 12:46 pm |
  15. Kim

I watched Obama's speech and was truly inspired. Martin had a dream and I believe that Barack has a vision. I truly respect what he had to say on the issue of race relations in this country. He has the ability to make you think about things in a different perspective. He gave white people insight into the anger Afro Americans may fill, but the also gave Afro-Americans insight into the resentment that white people are feeling. I am 41 years old and so I am not from the generation of Reverend Wright, but my mother is and some of the racism that she experienced I have never experienced. And some to the underlying racism I have experienced, my children will never experience. Just because you dont talk openly with other races about racism doesnt mean it is not there and that it will just go away. I totally disagree with the hurtful words that Reverend Wright used and found his delivery over the top, but he is not the only person expressing some of those views. There are other religious people and political people that have said some of the same things, but not in that nature. There are plenty of people that believe because of Americas foreign policy we have hurt and bullied other countries and it was just a matter of time, before someone attacked us. I am proud to be an American and 9/11 was the saddest day in my lifetime, but negative attitudes toward America and our policies contributed to that attack. It is time for America to show other countries that we are "one nation under God" and not just say we are. It is time to stand up for what is best for this country. I am tired of the same political slogans and promises year after year after year, and still things stay the same. It is time for something new and different. I am supporting Obama because I am ready for a change.

Anderson, I will keep you in my prayers.

March 19, 2008 at 12:44 pm |
  16. Bev C.

Anderson: Hope everything goes well with the skin cancer. Your the best thing on CNN.

Bev C., Town of Tonawanda, NY

March 19, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  17. Dolores Austin Texas

Good morning Anderson,

Sorry to hear about your cancer bout, hope all is well, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as always. Anderson, I am very anxious to see your show tonight regarding Senator Obama, I think he has a lot of explaining to do regarding his relationship with Rev. Wright, c'mon give me a break, does he really believe that the American people are so naive to think that he and his wife attended this church for 20 years and not once did he ever hear this mans racist sermons. Yea right!

March 19, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  18. Red

What Obama Knew, And What Obama DId...

Barack Obama knew Jerimiah Wright was a anti Semite.
    He then decided to be married by him?

Barack Obama knew of Wrights racist anti American predilections.
    He proceeded to choose that vile man to baptize his children?

He heard the absolute abhorrent rhetoric from his seat in the pews.
    He continued to go back for 20 years?

He knew of the psychic illness that affects his church.
    He not only did nothing about it, but supported it?

He was asked directly about it.
    He lied?

March 19, 2008 at 12:39 pm |
  19. Sabrina in Los Angeles

We look forward to hearing what you learned while following Obama.

I think he handled the pastor issue well.

We can't agree with everything that everyone says.

If we ditched people when they had differing views, we would be a society of single entities, not attached to anyone or anything.

On your health, it must have been malignant if they chose to remove it. Green tea, Vitamin C, Proline and Lysine are a good combination to get rid of cancer (Dr. Rath – Epican Forte). The green tea and vitamin C remove the free radical damage and assist in cellular repair. Proline and Lysine (both amino acids) strengthen the collagen matrix so it can't metastisize. Keep Mineral powder on your skin as a barrier to the sun is you need to in order to keep skin cancer at bay. It is lightweight and not obvious, plus it is thalate free. Your ancestry is fair complected , like my daughter's and she requires a higher SPF until she gets a base tan.

Don't fret the stitches or the scar . Now, you will just look more rugged. Take care.

March 19, 2008 at 12:37 pm |
  20. Meagan Huddleston

Im writing in regards to Obama's Race speech yesterday. I am an 18 year old black female who was proudly raised in perdominently white town. After Obama's Race speech it only increased my support for him. It showed me that he is willing to fight for his own personal conviction. In his speech you saw his immense understanding of the race issue that this country is still facing. He hit issues that not only concern black americans, but white america as well. Isnt that what we need in a President. Someone who is truly trying to unite the party and not trying to further there own personal agenda? I feel as though Hillary is a great canidate but I don't think the country needs a veteran politicians who knows how to play the game. Being that this campaign effects my generation more than anyone else I believe that Clinton is the way of the past and Obama is the future. The future consists of many people who are made up with all types of cultures and I just don't think Clinton is as diverse as she claims to be. I read someone's blog on Cnn that said Clinton should try to be the majority leader in the senate and Obama should be President. That is the best idea I have heard. If they both want to change the country as they say they do, this would be a marvellous idea. Ok well I have to finish writing a paper and you peeps have a good day.

March 19, 2008 at 12:37 pm |
  21. Thomas

Why is there not as much outrage for John McCain's
    religous supporter John Hagee? McCain has accepted
    Hagee's support and Hagee's comments on 9/11 and
    the catholic church are just as inflammatory as Wright.
    I realize there is a greater connection between Obama
    and Wright but I have not seen the constant loop of
    comments by Hagee as I have with Wright.

March 19, 2008 at 12:37 pm |
  22. leonard

America, it is illegal to hold senator barak obama responsible for pastor jeremiah wright action and comments.

prove your self by taking him to the american supreme court.

can you?

March 19, 2008 at 12:35 pm |
  23. Dave

Enough already! Stop with the Wright drama. We have real issues awaiting.

Don't judge an individual by whom their President, doctor, lawyer or Pastor may be. Although I don't like what Bush says, It doesn't make me leave America. Let's move on to......... the economy, wars,etc.

March 19, 2008 at 12:34 pm |
  24. barry

anderson, one more thing... why are you not in MI and FL fighting the battle on the voters behalf... the story is not about obama or clinton the story is about the voters..

March 19, 2008 at 12:33 pm |
  25. barry

senator obama is great at the speeches. but substance lacks..
    he is raising legal issues as to not count the votes....anderson i find this unacceptable....he want us to over look his pastor speeches,...
    he wants us to overlook that he did not hold a single committee meeting on afghanistan...he wants us to overlook Michelle Obama's lack of pride in the united states until 2008...and he wants us not to count the peoples votes in florida and michagan...i am registering independent. effective tomorrow... signed a very proud america fed up with politics as usual...

barry c

March 19, 2008 at 12:30 pm |
  26. Jo Ann

Dear Anderson,

I am so sorry to hear about your surgery, but I am sure you’ll be as good as new in no time! I saw Charlie Rose last night discussing the Obama speech and I understand he got his injury trying to protect his precious laptop. I am sure that you would have done the same.

In regards to Obama’s speech, I am concerned that for almost twenty years as a parishioner at Trinity United Church of Christ Obama remained unaware of the anger Reverend Wright had against the United States and White people. If he remained unaware of Wright’s explosive feelings for all that time I am concerned that he will miss important issues as president, but on the other hand if he did know and did not confront the pastor or leave the church it suggests that on some level he accepts the radical opinions of Wright. Either way, his presence in the church during Reverend Wright’s sermons may have given legitimacy to the pastor’s words in the eyes of other parishioners. Also, I am concerned by the reaction of the parishioners on the DVD during Wright’s sermons.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your skin cancer. I’ll keep you in my prayers and I wish you only the very best.

Take care,
    Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

March 19, 2008 at 12:30 pm |
  27. Betty

Hi Anderson Hope your surgery was a success–while Obama is a moveing, beautiful speaker, the speech itself does not ring true. Obama is so full of contradictions–He seems to say one thing one day then when there is a problem, say something else. I hope you confront him with some of these issues tonight. Also would like to know when Hillary is going to as much free air time–or is the media as bias as ever toward Obama?? TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF-enjoy your show.

March 19, 2008 at 12:27 pm |
  28. Connie

Anderson,
    Please continue to 'keep them honest'. Sen. Obama has lied about his association with Mr. Rezko and now about his pastor. Now the news says that the liberals are still supporting him. I am a liberal, and I am not. I am afraid that his wonderful speaking abilities are covering up even more.
    Thank you, and love your show.

March 19, 2008 at 12:27 pm |
  29. Nick

Anderson, thanks for a great interview with Obama.
    As far as democratic primary, it took them a long time to figure it out that they have been bamboozled. What a fake of a "bringing together candidate"....
    By Obama....

March 19, 2008 at 12:26 pm |
  30. Kim

Anderson,

I look forward to your report tonight. The more I learn about Barack Obama the man, the more I know he is the right person to be our President. The President should represent us and who better represents us than a man who understands and is willing to express his understanding of the race issue in this country.

Obama showed in his speech that this is not just a black issue nor is it just a white issue it is an American issue that has continued to flow under the surface and it is time we all started talking about it.

I too have a grandmother who says things that are inappropriate and in this day shocking, but she is also 97 years old. I understand where she comes from and where those opinions were formed. I don't accept her view of minorities and I would never use the speech she has used. I would also not disown her or love her any less because of what she has said. We learn from the errors of the past and how would we learn without being exposed to people like Rev. Wright, my grandmother, and others like them? Obama gets it and is willing to address it honestly. It is time to move forward.

Kim

March 19, 2008 at 12:26 pm |
  31. Wynona

Anderson, hope everything went well with the cancer surgery. A question about Obama. On last week's program, didn't you ask him something about if he had ever been in church when Rev. Wright had a controversal sermon? I believe he said No. And now he's saying he has been in church during one of these sermons and didn't walk out.

March 19, 2008 at 12:26 pm |
  32. 4 Obama all D way. NC

I have to say even though Wrights comments should not been at the pew pit, those comments are in the hearts and mins of many, like Obama said at the b-shops, kitchen tables, and even family one-on-ones. The real point is creating your own view, to make this a better place for all to live. We ALL are geting hit with the gas price surge, the milk price surging, jobs going overseas. This is the real issue, can the next president help the american people get healthcare, keep their homes, bring the troops home safely, surcure our borders? There are so many Rev Wrights out here in every color, and gender. People stop acting if though your fasmily or friends, even co-workers haven't made off beat remarks of another person of color, or reliegon different from yours. Let it go. Obama rose to the occasion as president hopeful should have. I will continue to support him. I was right from day one.

March 19, 2008 at 12:25 pm |
  33. Aruna, Minneapolis, MN

Anderson, I'm glad to hear you're doing well. I guess that "fatty deposit" was something more and I'm glad you had it checked out.

Can't wait to see you again on the program with Barack Obama!!

March 19, 2008 at 12:25 pm |
  34. Robin

Anderson

When is Hillary going to get air time on your show? I see Obama is still getting more media time than her and also the media still seems to agree with everything he does from lying about NAFTA to how much was actually given to his campaign to lying to the media including you on Wright and then saying something totally different in his speech yesterday.
    My mother tuned me into to you over a year ago, and I thought that you stood for the facts, but here lately you seem to be like all the other media and being bias. Hopefully tonights show does not go that way.
    As for Obama, he is a great speaker... awful liar.... and does not deserve the nomination for President of the USA. He stood by a man that put down whites and blacks alike.

Robin
    Columbus, Ohio

MODERATOR: Robin, we have made the same request to Sen. Clinton that we have made to Sen. Obama. We would like to spend a day on the campaign trail with her; we would like to get any time in any place for that matter. Sen. Clinton's staff continues to deny our request.

March 19, 2008 at 12:23 pm |
  35. Dianna Thomas

It was obvious that the media was doing nothing more, but to use race as an attack to discredit who I believe is a God-Fearing man. I wish that people would begin to educate themselves because without doing so, you miss the message and fail to interpret what the minister was saying.

Point # 1 Pastor Wright said, "God should Damn America" for what the United States have done. Lets not forget when the attacks of 911 occured, Micheal Moore pointed out some of the same things that this pastor has. So what is Michael Moore, intelligent?

Point # 2 Pastor Wright indicated that our government is the cause and or reason why so many blacks are infected with HIV/AIDS. Interesting point considering that it was our government that knowingly and intentionally injected black families with syphillis. Try pulling up articles about the "Tuskeegee Experient." Whether Black or White, it is important to understand history and why so many people have come to these same conclusions that Paster Wright has.

Point # 3 The last time I check, Corporate America was operated primarily by White people. I don't think this is racist at all, but rather a fact.

Lastly, I did not hear in Pastor Wright's sermon that he hated White people. I did not hear that he wanted his congregation to hate White people. I did not hear him say that we should lynch, hang, kill, oppress and suppress White people, like White people have done and continue to do to Blacks.

For all the people that listen to a "Ignorant " person like Rush Limbaugh who suggests to send a lynch party after Michelle Obama and to bloodie up Senator Obama, do you continue to watch the program? Yes, I thought so. Yet, I continue to see how "some" Whites continue to involve theirselves in matters that are baseless.

Did any of the same media outlets or commentators demand the credentials from the idiot we have as president currently? I believe that the answer will be no because not one person cared about what he did when he allowed those people that were victims of hurricane Katrina suffer. He did not apologize and severly punish the "White" men that dragged a "Black" man using a chain and drove down the highway killing him because of the color of his skin. And yes, Bush was governor at the time.

The bottom line is that before you judge someone, look at your history and the actions of others, the perhaps you could understand the reactions of others.

Dianna Thomas who strongly supports the views of someone that has a genuine, spirited heart...........................Go OBAMA

March 19, 2008 at 12:22 pm |
  36. Vivian

I hope all is well with you. I am not going to lie I am one of the young voters that LOVES Barack Obama and I was wondering form your perspective at this point do you see that energy that Obama seems to have had is it continuing maybe even revitalized with the speech he gave on race. I personally thought his speech was remarkable filled with truths.

Michael from Califoirnia those are the issues of race today. You have been dealing with race issues for 40 years well that's what since 1968 well it is a hugely dynamic relationship in that time. The issue of race has to be discussed just as Obama has put it. My discussion of race is probbaly very different than yours since my perspective is very different as a young woman, and I think Obama is taking us in the direction we need to go when it comes to talking about race. He represents a new generation of all minorites we still have to overcome obstacles, but the anger and hatred isn't there with us (yes I lump him in my generation because he is the leadership I am looking for).

March 19, 2008 at 12:21 pm |
  37. Lee

First – best wishes for a speedy recovery from your surgery !

A day spent with the Obama campaign is probably a break from the usual 360 pace, I would imagine.

Polls are showing a very quick evaporation of his lead – I'm interested in knowing how 'team Obama' plans to address this. As well as the usual questions about the ecomony, foreign relations, global warming, etc., etc. – I hope the 'team 360' was able to get a true 'inside glimpse' of – hate to say it – this newest 'political machine'.

Take Care – be well – and keep up the terrific work!

March 19, 2008 at 12:20 pm |
  38. Gary from Alabama

I am a middle aged, Middle income white american male from the state of Alabama, where we all know that race has been and still is an issue even if people don't voice it. I will confess that in past elections I have voted republican. I believe that Ronald Regan was the best president this Country has had in my life time. However, given the track record of the current republican leaders I have been more than disapionted. This year I found my self listening to all the candidates more in depth than ever before. I was sure that Obama was the person who had the most to offer when it comes to bringing positive change in America until I heard his pastor making those hate speaches from the pulpit.
    I my insides crenged as I heard those remarks over and over on TV, and I almost made the mistake of writing Obama off because of it. I decided to hear his remarks before making my final decision and I am glad I did.
    The media has labled Obama as the African American Candidate, which he actually is. However, There is something very differant about Obama than most Americans. He is not white, nor is he black. He has a black father and a white mother. I bring this up because I never knew this until I heard him speak last evening. No doubt Barack Obama feels the pain of racism in ways that most people can not begin to understand. He hears remarks made by his white freinds and family aimed at the black side of himself and at the same time the blacks in his life are attacking his white side. If there has ever been a candidate who has the desire to bring about unity in this country it has to be Obama. I also believe that his mixed race opens the door to an understanding of this issue like few will ever have and at the same time gives him an avenue for crossing those deviders that no other candidate in history has ever posesed. While this is not the main issue we face as Americans today, this certainly is someting that still has a strangle hold on many Americans. I believe that before we can really achieve the American dream this is an issue that needs to be faced honestly and objectively and Barack Obama is the man to bring about the process for healing in America.

God Bless America, God bless Barack Obama, God help us all

March 19, 2008 at 12:18 pm |
  39. Susan

Anderson:

I am glad that everything went well with your surgery. My mom had a skin cancer removed from her face about ten years ago. She never had another problem again. Get some #50 sun block made just for you face.

I did not get to see Senator Obama's speech, only the snippets played on CNN. The parts that I saw were very moving and personal.
    The speech reminded me of Robert Kennedy.

As a citizen of the United States, Rev. Wright has the freedom of speech to say what he wants, however he used that freedom to tarnish the very country giving him that freedom. Senator Obama stated that he does not agree with the statements made, but only when it was made public ( and became an issue ) did he addresss it.
    He also spoke about this as a generational matter, but I would assume that many different generations were sitting in those pews.
    What about all the children that heard these statements? Does that not just perpetuate the problems down the generational lines.

I look forward to your interview this evening with the Senator. I also look forward to your special on Iraq, which has now been moved to Thursday at 11:00PM.

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

March 19, 2008 at 12:16 pm |
  40. Dee from Texas

Obama is a forgiving mad that is why his "HEART" is so big. That is the difference between he and a lot of other people. He can disagree and still be friends.

March 19, 2008 at 12:14 pm |
  41. Anna Atayi

Anderson,
    Obama might not be MLK today but in the future history will make him that great black-american leader. his life and speeches will be study in school. today we would love to see him fall from grace. this is the reality of this country where born and bread black still don't belong. the media talked soo much about how france had not yet integrated its emmigrants / their children. what about us the American? where is the melting pot we are studying and teaching in the school classes. my soul is in pain.
    Anna from Nebraska

March 19, 2008 at 12:11 pm |
  42. Mariela Solis

Anderson, Sorry to hear about your surgery but glad everything worked out and you're okay. Your left eye always looked puffier than your right and I remember you mentioned you had a growth. Glad you caught that early. Hope you're feeling better. Thanks for sharing.

March 19, 2008 at 12:11 pm |
  43. james

Anderson i wish you well and your in my prayers for a full recovery. I love the show and suport all your efforts to be fair in your work i hope you continue to do so in your coverage of this story. I do strongly feel obama has had a free ride for a year now from the press and now that his chickens came home to roost he feels he should continue on that ride. He can not use race as a way to hide from the facts that for 20 years he sat under a hate monger and with the presence of his own children and left them be influenced by all these lies about our own country. this is hard for me as an american to stomach. Now we see he went on television and lied in his first interviews and said he never heard these things then for fear of being called on it admitts he knew allo along about it and still stayed and defended this man . Please address it all aspecially about his children being brought up in a church filled with this message. thank you be blessed.

March 19, 2008 at 12:09 pm |
  44. jean scarbo.pride louisiana

HI ANDERSON,
    WISH YOU WELL AND TAKE CARE. CANT WAIT FOR YOUR SHOW TONITE.I AM SORRY TO SAY I THINK OBAMA HAS BEEN HURT BUY THIS THINK WITH HIS PASTOR. THE TRUTH IS ALWAYS THE BEST WAY TO GO TRYING TO HID THINKS NEVER WORKS. UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHINK MORE TO TELL US TONITE AND I HOPE YOU DO HE HAS LOST MY VOTE.

March 19, 2008 at 12:07 pm |
  45. Lauren

Anderson I was wondering where you were. I figured you took a long weekend. I hope you are feeling ok now.

March 19, 2008 at 12:00 pm |
  46. Sheryn

Anderson,

It's been a tough week for Barak Obama for sure. I worry that all these issues that crop up for each of the Democratic candidates just gives the McCain camp more ammunition for the general election. We need to get back on track and stay there.

Anderson, I've heard rumors of Charlie Rose's left hook! Seriously, I hope you feel better soon. I'm looking forward tonight's an insider view from the campaign trail.

Sheryn, NJ

March 19, 2008 at 11:57 am |
  47. Mike

The speech was a good speech. That said, my issue is an issue of a double standard. We are asked by the black community to be tolerant. Where was the tolerance when the Duke players were hung out to dry? Where was the tolerance in Jena when six bullies beat up a white kid who had nothing to do with the related incident? Where was the tolerance when Imus was fired and all those around him were being asked to apologize or resign? Where was the tolerance with Geraldine Ferraro? I've heard of no called apology from the black community for the very Rev. Wright's comments. If a white person had said the same things, they would be destroyed.

March 19, 2008 at 11:57 am |
  48. Kim Jung-Hae ( Seoul. S, Korea)

Anderson, I'm very surprised to hear about your skin cancer and my prayers for your speedy recovery. Remember, health always comes first..... And thank you so much for your exclusive interview with Obama, and many thanks to CNN and its team. Here in 12:57A.M.(yawning ) I will be watching tonight. See you then....

March 19, 2008 at 11:57 am |
  49. NYC

I think the politically correct thing to say is that Obama's speech was the best thing I've ever heard. But I didn't think so. It was just OK for me.

He admitted he lied, and the media glossed over this issue. However, he did confront the reality of race in this country, which I thought was brave and almost inspiring.

However, it ultimately felt like a guilt-trip if one decides to vote against Obama, which is unfair. People vote for whomever they want based on a myriad of reasons. Any reason to vote for or against Barack is valid. Because we all have ideas about how to perfect this nation.

Ultimately, I think his speech suggests that he is NOT ready yet to be president but will be someday.

March 19, 2008 at 11:55 am |
  50. Sherry in Camden, MI

I just watched the podcast of Obama's Iraq speech. It blew me away! I can't wait for your show tonight!

March 19, 2008 at 11:52 am |