March 19th, 2008

Anderson's View: On the road with Obama

ALT TEXT

Anderson on the ground in North Carolina and on the campaign trail with Barack Obama. Watch tonight on 360° 10p ET

We are with Senator Barack Obama on the campaign trail in North Carolina today. As we all know, it's been a tough week for Obama, and after yesterday's speech on race he is hoping to turn the focus to Iraq.

Lingering questions remain about Sen. Obama's relationship with the controversial Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and we'll talk with him about those questions, as well as Iraq, the economy, and the campaign.

On a personal note, I've been off for the last couple of days. I had minor surgery on Monday. A small spot of skin cancer was removed from under my left eye. I hadn't planned on mentioning this, but I still have stitches and you'll no doubt notice them tonight. Don't want you to think I got into a fist fight with Charlie Rose.

– Anderson Cooper

Program Note: Watch Anderson's report from North Carolina , on the campaign trail with Barack Obama, tonight on 360° 10p ET.

1. EMJordan

I wish you well Aderson. I would like to start by saying to both Fred and Kathie that this is the very criticism and remarks of this kind that has we as a people so divided no he did not throw his grandmother under a bus and he does not need to stand up to defend someone elses remarks or comments nor should he have to defend anyone's remarks we are all americans that have the same freedom and rights but it is crucified by the media when this happens. No one seems to have a problem with the remarks that has been made from Hillary's camp whether it was Bill or Geraldine who resigned no one has said to her why don't you speak out on those remarks, I will tell you why there is a hidden fear in america that still resides in many and use a situation like this to come out with their true feelings it has been that Obama will certainly get all of the black voters support and forgetting that this man is "BOTH BLACK AND WHITE" and not only african americans support him. I was very Proud of his speech and yes if it took him as Kathie says throw his grandmother under the bus to make a point of it is not about "RACE" for him but about healing for all americans regardless of "RACE"..........It is time to face all ISSUES and RACE / RACISM is one of them as well as the WAR,ECONOMY,EMPLOYMENT put these issues to rest and let Obama do what he is here to do and to help bring ALL RACES TOGETHER as a NATION NOT DIVIDED...... I don't always agree with my mother but i still love her.....The real man has already stood up that's the problem Fred.

March 19, 2008 at 11:51 am |
  2. Aruna

First I hope a speedy recovery for you Anderson and
    WELCOME TO NORTH CAROLINA!
    Secondly Obama is playing a race game whether he likes to admit it or not. Fayettville and Charlotte has a large Black population and that is where he is stopping to gain votes. WHY WAS HIS STOP AT FAYETTVILLE NOT OPEN TO PUBLIC???????????
    Whole nation knows UNC and Duke universities so why did he not put those two universities as one of his stops. Younger generation are supporting him alot so it really surprised me that he decided not to come to UNC which has a student population close to 20000. I was a die hard follower of Obama but have decided to vote for Clinton.
    First he said he had received 150,000 from Tony Rezko and now that has changed to$ 200,000 . He said he gave it/donated it . WHERE IS THE PROOF?.
    He also said he did not hear any racially motivated sermon from Mr. Wright but now he says he did. SO WHAT DO WE BELIEVE IN?
    P.S. Do take care of yourself . Health is wealth

March 19, 2008 at 11:49 am |
  3. jackie

why all the fuss.obama is still in the race. he has unbelivable courage.the words of his pastor are not his.at last this united states of america has someone who will discuss the issues as they really are.it has been to long . we are all guilty of living in america-without saying what is true about how people really feel.whites have been saying all these things about blacks for years. they have used the pen to deny citizens their rights.no one discussed that.as for hillary she can forget it. if the democratic party gives her the nomination.....we will support MCCain....therefore plunging this country to republican leadership.take that ...we are a country full of decit and hatred. it time to stop.tell all the news stations to repot hillary's involvement in white water and her taxes.now that comes from washington experience.who can she talk about.as for bill..he was not the president we thought he was.tell him next he will support chelsey for president.ha ha ha. Mad IN LOUISIANA

March 19, 2008 at 11:46 am |
  4. Sarah

Anderson....

I am Caucasian and I an NOT a racist.

I am stil angry over the remarks made by one Rev Wright. And I think it will cost Obama dearly in PA. I'm not a political pundit, but my guess, as a gal born in western PA, that the voters there will seriously take into consideration the remarks made by Rev Wright and Obama's reaction to them. Western PA is a rather conservative, working class part of the country and naturally many Dems there are more of Hillary's sort of demographic.

Are you or 360 planning to go to PA anytime soon?

March 19, 2008 at 11:40 am |
  5. Avalon in Madison, AL

I wonder if my mother said some of the things that Rev Wright said, if the people of America would expect me to disown her, or have nothing to do with her. I went to a black church (I am Seventh-day Adventist) where occassionaly the minister would give us his political views from the pulpit. Some ministers will do this if they felt the situation was grave enough, and while I did not see things in the same way or agreed with what he said, I never once thought to leave the church. The church gives you more than one person's opinion, and if we go to church with one political opinion, I doubt very much that we change our minds because of that opinion.

Obama was right in that if this was not a typical speech from Rev Wright, we do not trun our backs on him as a person.

If we don't watch it, this country will never get beyond our racial divides if we don't stand up and say enough. It starts with one; ME

March 19, 2008 at 11:37 am |
  6. Appiah-Marfo

Hi Andy,

I think Obama's speech could be dubbed "Unification Document". It contains enough beef to appeal to all races in America. Listening to the various comments about the speech I realized that people will always believe in whatever they chose to believe irrespective. I think those who are 'still' peddling the notion that Obama, still have something to do with Rev. Wright are just being ridiculous. Obama, in several instances has repudiated, reject and denounce Rev. Wrights unfortunate outbust, yet some Americans cannot get over it, and holding Obama to it; meanwhile he wasn't the one who made such inflammatory statement. Permit me to say this is highly unfair and hypocratical on the part those peddling this rumor.
    By the way, may I know whether Americans nowbelieve that Obama is trully "a Christian" andnot a Moslem as he said some time ago? Back then, some Americans didn't believe him. Now he's being punish for a statement his "chistian church Rev. minister made...Hypocracy @its highest order!. Finally, the Clintons are doing everything just to win ...this is not love for a country rather an 'overconsuming ambition'. Lets discuss issues concering America, and stop playing the race card...it won't work this time. Long live America, long live Obama.
    thanks

March 19, 2008 at 11:35 am |
  7. Mike in Oklahoma

Senator Obama must think we Americans are as gullible as some in our media as to be distracted by a call to a discussion of race in America. Hello! First things, things first, Senator. Let us discuss your appalling lack of judgement in your twenty year association with a racist, anti-American demagogue. Your "spiritual advisor" who claims our government invented AIDS and infected Black Americans with it to get rid of them. Your continuing lack of judgement in associating with this clown. If you cannot exercise sound judgement in this area of your life, you certainly have not demonstrated to this voter that you can excercise sound judgement as my President.

March 19, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  8. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

Anderson, I hope you are recovering well from your surgery. I look forward to seeing your piece on Obama on the program tonight.

March 19, 2008 at 11:28 am |
  9. Carolynn

I thought Obama's speech was very eloquent and to the point. Now that that certain issue has been addressed, I hope that he will now move on to talk about the real problems that are facing American society. Enough time has been spent on his pastor's remarks- what really is there more to say? It's time to talk about more important things.

I look forward to tonight's show, it looks really interesting! Anderson, I hope you are recovering well. Surgery is not fun. 😦

March 19, 2008 at 11:26 am |
  10. Michael FL x Jumpmaster

“Oh man” I thought CNN was showing a Harrison Ford US Presidency conspiracy movie the past 5 years.

Its real our Troops are dieing, some Coalition Troops are dieing, Iraq Civilians dieing (who knows this number?) and yes sometimes Insurgents (mostly created by us/they weren’t insurgents prior to war) are dieing. And we the tax payer allow this to happen. DIRTY HANDS.

PS: Not knocking the troops, they are doing a superb job. Sorry we keep you there. We know you’re dedicated to do what you are told to do.

My question, History has shown, everything the US military and or Business has a clear GOALs with timelines. In this war the goal of the war is TOP SECRET. What is completion or in President Bush’s statement “We will win this war”? Hmmmm The same words Senator John McCain use “We must and will WIN” Again what is Winning?

March 19, 2008 at 11:20 am |
  11. Hugh McGuire

The media’s constant attention on Senator Obama’s relationship with Reverend Wright is designed to divide this country. And this is not serving our country well. Last weekend our financial institutions almost brought our country to its knees, however the mainstream television media hardly talked about how the government bailed out Wall Street rather than bailing out homeowners. I believe the discussion of how the Bush administration decisions are tearing this country apart is much more important than the race baiting topic of Obama-Wright.
    A few days ago in Philadelphia, a crack in a pillar that supported a major highway through that city brought traffic to a stand still. This is one of many examples of how our country’s infrastructure is crumbling. However, our current administration would rather repair the infrastructure of Iraq than our own U.S. of A. But the mainstream television media will not report on subjects like this with any intellectual depth. This again, is not serving our country well.
    Last week Admiral Fallon resigned from the military rather than support Bush’s intent to take us to war with Iran. And a Pentagon report was released that stated there was no evidence of a link between Al Qaida and Saddam Hussein. This report proved that the Bush administration has lied to the American people about one of the reasons why we went to war with Iraq. But rather than covering these issues, the mainstream television media would rather divert our attention from these important issues by dividing our country over the subject of race.
    I wish our mainstream television media would pattern their reporting after the BBC rather than the shallow sensational reporting that is going on in this country now. And in as far as the Obama-Wright debate goes – well I will use Proverbs 6:16-19 to put my comments into context. The later half of 6:19 applies to our current mainstream television media.
    16. These six things doth the Lord hate; yea seven are an abomination unto him:
    17. A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood.
    18. An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief.
    19. A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

March 19, 2008 at 11:19 am |
  12. Renee

Congratulations on 360's exclusive with Obama! I missed the Clinton story the other night but heard it was good from my family.

May I give you some quick advice (unsolicted I know) on sun prevention? I have lived in FL for 30 years and I think my skin may be near the same fair skin as yours. Please consider SPF 50 clothing and a cap. My family and I have been using the clothing and hats for about 15 years. Solumbra is the only company in America that has FDA approval on their clothes. I know. Can we trust the FDA? That's another day. The clothing really does work.

Dr. Gupta did a segment on sun screen last year so I wrote down his list and brought it to my dermotologist. She confirmed that Dr. Gupta had the better ones on his list.

Continued good success!

March 19, 2008 at 11:16 am |
  13. Michelle

Speedy recovery Anderson. I am looking
    forward to seeing 360 it should be interesting
    in deed . Thank you for offering something
    different . See if you can talk all of the
    candidates into doing the same thing.
    Hopefully Obama , Clinton and McCain will
    be willing to sit down for a series of 1-0n-1's
    with in depth interviews for us to hear their
    own words about Iraq, the economy,
    healthcare, etc without taking a swipe
    at another candidate.

March 19, 2008 at 11:16 am |
  14. Jay Campbell, JD

Anderson, only good thoughts for your recovery. Been there, two years out from major cancer surgery.

About that speech- as brilliant as it was, I believe it was about false equivalencies, the diluting of one position by equating it, falsely, with a lesser one. So Obama's Grandmother's skittishness about black men on the street (a fearful position famously shared once by Jesse Jackson) is portrayed as equivalent to stating as a fact that America created the AIDS virus to infect prople of color. Note that this particular position of Wright's is substantially unreported by many reviewers (e.g. USA today), because it is indefensible, even in an eccentric old uncle.
    Does Obama share the view? I believe not. But turn this on its head and ask how we would react if any other presidential candidate had sat for 20 years in the pews before a man and with a congregation accepting of such hate-filled speech. Obama is a wonderous orator, a politician unlike any in history, if the totality of the man is taken in. But it is the politician in Hillary, George, John and Bill that we most dislike,and tolerate for the hope that their honest efforts to lead us as presidential contenders will overcome the political manuvering that brought them to the Office.
    Up until now, Obama has gone far to portray himself as the most apolitical politician in decades. Up until now. But Wright is wrong, and there is no parsing that fact by comparing him to Obama's daffy, inconsequential, but well-loved relatives. That, unfortunately, is the politician in Obama coming to the forefront – and he has asked us to expect more from him. – Jay Campbell, JD

March 19, 2008 at 11:15 am |
  15. sam

Anderson,

Wish u to have a speedy recovery. Am looking forward to your show tonight.
    Anderson, it is your show and so you have the right to cover and present whatever you want....but I just hope that you can honestly say that u r being objective and fair in your coverage. I am curious as to why u r spending the day with sen obama. ....? Will u be spending a similar day with Sen Clinton?

When the rev Wright scandal broke out...u offered sen Obama a chance to talk to u the same nite – which is okay , I guess BUT U WERE S"POSED to cover Bill clinton up close and personal. U bumped that off completely! We do have 2 candidates still in the race....! u gave a lot of time covering michelle obama on thursday and so how can u bump bill clinton completely.

Then on monday...the ticker indiacted all day that pres clinton was going to be featured all day and when ur show came up– u were not there and the feature on the president lasted about 3.5 minutes! that is all....!!!????

I may be accused of being a clinton supporter but am i wrong in what i say? And now u r spending the entire day with sen Obama?

Again - u hae the right to do what u want, but i hope u will be objective and fair minded irrespective of whom u like personally.

March 19, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  16. Claire

Dang, Anderson! Hope everything turns out okay, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

March 19, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  17. Lorrie

I first saw you when you were doing your report during the Katrina crisis. You were up-front , honest, and real. It's disturbing the way the commentators and guests that have been on CNN lately with regard to Obama are so biased. I trust that you will present an unbiased and fair representation of the man.... from the actions and words that YOU observe... not what CNN thinks makes good news. Thanks

March 19, 2008 at 11:11 am |
  18. Rahni, Connecticut

What controversy? The words came out of his minister mouth not Obama. I’m getting very tire hearing the media continue to speak, spin and play the video of the minister 24/7 and that includes CNN. Please listen to the video or tape in its entirety. Please stop contributing to this racial unrest! And people who said that they were in favor of Obama and now they’re changing their minds because of the video, you NEVER going vote for him any way. Obama made a wonderful speech yesterday regarding his personal and political matters.

Please stop the madness people! And Anderson, please take care under your left eye and tonight, wear one of your cool shades!

Rahni, Connecticut

March 19, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  19. Chris in Sarasota

My husband and I are, for better or for worse, 24/7 cable news junkies; but today, and maybe for the rest of the week, I am turning the TV off. Most of what I have heard in the media has it ALL WRONG about Obama's speech. For the first time in my over 50 years, I hear a man stand up and talk straight to us, speak what we know is true about ourselves and this country ... out here in the "real" world, everybody I talk to, from my mid-80's father who was voting for McCain until now, to my conservative Bush-voting friends, and including the people of all ages who were in a doctor's waiting room with me watching the speech, feels, as my father said, "Obama's speech is a perfect example of why he should be President."

But what do I hear from AC 360 last night? "Lingering questions." "What did he hear and when did he hear it."

Stop. please.

March 19, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  20. Jennifer in DC

Hi Anderson,

I hope everything went well and that you're feeling ok. My thoughts are with you. Enjoy the crazy pace Senator Obama maintains, it should be a nice break for you.

Cheers,
    Jennifer

March 19, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  21. Shamera

I'm really looking forward to tonight's show.

March 19, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  22. Carol Martin

Anderson,

Re: X-rated church

Please remind people that Barack's children were probably NOT exposed to Rev. Wright's sermons. They were in Sunday School or Youth Church. As a church musician, I'm certain that most churches
    have age-appropriate worship services.

March 19, 2008 at 10:59 am |
  23. Gary Mitchell

The presses feeding frenzy over this story both from the right and left is frankly insane. In all my years I have never seen the like with the possible exception of the Catholic controversy during the JFK run. Pastor Wright is controversial because you say so not because of the sound bites. Each American should ask themselves and search their souls for the answer to these questions.

1) Are your as proud of being an American as you were seven years ago?
    2) Does it truely not matter to you that we have gone from being the shining beacon of freedom to the world to hated and feared?
    3) Are you not enraged that we have a government so entreched in partisan politics that absolutely nothing gets done and one that is controlled by special interest groups who don't represent the best interests of Americans?

I do not DAMN America but I do DAMN those people in places of power who have promoted and aided in the dismantling and demoting of America on the world stage. If we truely seek to export Democracy, it needs to be one we can be proud of not one where rigged voting machines and a partisan Supreme Court determine the outcome of elections.

In my opinion the only way to stand up for America and (if I might borrow from Senator Obama) move towards a more perfect Democracy is to begin electing officals who share the vision.

March 19, 2008 at 10:55 am |
  24. Adrienne

Wow! I remember when Anderson Cooper was appearing on the Oprah Winfrey show. He was commended for the way he delivered the real news in a most heroic manner and he was someone to be admired. But now his "man crush" for Obama makes him look out of touch with reality. First, he told us to ignore the Rev. Wright fiasco and look at the "real issues". Now he's following Obama around like a lovesick puppy. Will he be following Hillary Clinton too?

March 19, 2008 at 10:51 am |
  25. Mary H - St. Louis, MO

That sounds like an interesting show but I am a fan of AC360 so might be a little biased. Hopefully you were able to get some questions in regarding the economy and get more insight on the whole Rev Wright issue.

Yikes... skin cancer that is scary. You need to get yourself an argyle Yankees cap to keep the sun off your face. Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm not making light of the subject as obviously cancer (any cancer) is serious stuff.

Glad you will be back on the show tonight. Are you blogging live??

March 19, 2008 at 10:49 am |
  26. Tammy

Take care of yourself. I’ll keep you in my prayers. The fist fight would have been less scary I had two cancer scares in my 30’s (breast was the scariest), it ended up being nothing, but I was freaked in the interim. Like I said...

I hope Senator Obama can answer the questions I am now having about his ethics, his character judgement, and what his actual platform is. He’s still way too vague for my tastes. And I hope you get times like this with McCain and Clinton at some point. The voters should get full views of everyone in contention. It sounds like an action-packed day.

March 19, 2008 at 10:48 am |
  27. colli

Hi Anderson, My dad had skin cancer, not the serious type, and often had the spots removed. I am assuming yours is not the dangerous skin cancer. I look forward to your day with Obama. His speech last night was brillant. I am Canadian, wish I could help him out in the campaing, and more importantly, wish i could vote. The one thing that concerns me is the number of times your station plays a soundbite that is so divisive and derogatory. I think it was over the top the number of times it was played, and makes me think that CNN has a personal interest on influencing votors. However, having said that, I would like to say that I find you fair and unbiased. I find Wolf Blizer as a man who seems to enjoy stirring the pot, most often in an unfavorable way, be it against Hillary, Barack or McCain. I wonder how he sleeps at night.

March 19, 2008 at 10:46 am |
  28. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Anderson,
    Man! I hope you'll be alright, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. It must be quite scary, and shocking. Goodness.

March 19, 2008 at 10:45 am |
  29. Monica

WHY are there lingering questions about this relationship with Rev. Wright?! Two soundbites have been played repeatedly. Obama has answered and reanswered and now given a speech to address the issue. WHAT more is there to say? Obama didn't make these remarks. The retiring pastor of his church did. What on earth else is there to discuss?! I'm worried about the increase in gas prices, the fledgling economy, my child's ability to get a good education, our safety in the face of extremists. I don't care what some 70 year old black preacher said to his congregation in a social justice gospel sermon. I'm worried about my family's future. Let's MOVE ON!!!

March 19, 2008 at 10:43 am |
  30. Michael / California

Dear Anderson, Barack, and all,

Any person who thinks that Barack Obama’s speech on Monday was an honest discourse on race relations in America is as daffy as Rev. Wright. It was a disingenuous, opportunistic rambling from an over-ambitious race baiter. All of you guilt mongering Obama apologists need to heal your own soul and stop worrying about mine. How this went from Wright's racist problem to being my (every one else but Wright's) problem is the worst kind of politics - and MSM is playing along.

We do need a great, open and honest look at racial issues that divide us – but that was no where close.

Rev. Wright is the one who needs healing here! Probably Obama too. As well as those of you who telling everyone "we'll see if the country has matured enough to handle this and elect Obama anyway" is just more insanity in shifting the issue – how about let's see how Wright and Obama will mature? Then we'll vote! Talk about politics as usual.

Wright says something stupid, and it's white America who has the problem? Go fool someone else, the media is good at that, because you're not fooling me.

We’re talking (at least we were) about Wright’s problem here, not mine. I've been working 40 years of my life to step out of this Racism stupidity – Now I'm getting lectured by Barack Obama on my racism? Perhaps he can focus on his racism before he points out everyone else's.

Good play to change the subject from "you" to "me" (kinda like that “all the good stuff he does” defense – like every megalomaniac in history used that one) but it only shows the audacity of dopes!

March 19, 2008 at 10:41 am |
  31. Nicole

All I can say is well done Barack. Everyone is upset b/c he didn’t disown his Pastor. Last week, the country was concerned that he was Muslim. Now, they are condemning him b/c of his pastor (I guess he is not Muslim anymore?). They are finding anyway to destroy him. And American wants to know if racism exists? No one brought up the fact that McCain is being endorsed by Rev. John Hagee. For those who don’t know him, he made derogatory remarks about homosexuals, Muslims, Black and Catholicism. But of course the media would not tell you about that. I wonder if Barack was Catholic, would they bring up the fact that Catholic priest have been molesting young boys for years and the Archdiocese pays the families “hush money” not to do public?

March 19, 2008 at 10:41 am |
  32. Annie Kate

Looking forward to seeing you discussion with Obama. The questions about him and the Reverend Wright will no doubt come back to haunt him by the GOP should Obama get the nomination.

I hope that you are doing well after your surgery and that all remains well with you.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

March 19, 2008 at 10:40 am |
  33. Yaneth

Is good to finally read one of your posts, even though this was a short one. I actually wanted to hear a bit more of candidate Barak Obama, and how it is to share some campaigning moments with him reported in your style (yeah, i am very fond of your writing style and Erica's).

I hope everything goes well with your health, take care of yourself.

God bless!

March 19, 2008 at 10:39 am |
  34. Joseph Daily, NJ

It's better to have a fight with Charlie Rose than Hillary Clinton. I'd like to echo Pat Buchannan's words on Don Imus's show this morning. Mr. Obama has been listening to Rev. Wright for twenty years now, so why hasn't Mr. Obama come forth about Rev. Wright, prior to the presidential campaign?

Whom else has Mr. Obama been listening to?

March 19, 2008 at 10:38 am |
  35. Ram

Mr.Cooper it was not a tough week for Barrack. It was a wonderful oppurtunity, a blessing in disguise for Barrack to present himself to the public. He did remarkably well. Great good publicity he badly needed. Yes, we now want to know what are his plans for Iraq, economy, health care etc. The sooner he starts addressing these issues with detail, the better it is for everybody. Now we need to make a choice , Obama or Clinton. McCain is not under consideration. We do not want the war to go beyond 1 year. This is the time we can give for planned withdrawl. We do not want Mr.Bush's policies to continue. Amen.

March 19, 2008 at 10:34 am |
  36. Valerie

You know they persecuted Jesus Christ, the Kennedy's, Martin Luther King, Malcom X for trying the make a change years later nothing has changed.

The attack on Obama on his religion is evidence that racial tensions still rate very high on America list of serious issues.

March 19, 2008 at 10:31 am |
  37. MJF

Anderson, I am a white, middle-aged, woman who worked hard for the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment and as a campaign manager, helped numerious women win seats in the House and Senate. I have deep love for the Clinton's but I tell you, this Barack Obama is something! He impresses me so much and at a time when we have overwhelming problems here and abroad – who else could possibly life us up, put us on a track of making our own destiny, and making other countries see how truly great we are – who else but Obama. I am at work at the Legislature but would have given anything to be in his presence (and yours) today in Fayetteville. Glad you are doing well.

March 19, 2008 at 10:30 am |
  38. jeana

I hope your questions are not made to fit Obama's answers. I think it is time we got the truth not a prepared speech. I don't think CNN should keep giving him free airtime. I feel this might be a bit bias. Lets hope you ask him about the other things he has yet to answer like the slumlord and lying about the amount donated. NAFTA when his adviser met with Canada. I hope you ask Hillary to come and talk on some of the issues that Americans are facing. Let us keep this race fair. BTW I hope Obama dont start whining about unfairness.

March 19, 2008 at 10:30 am |
  39. Michael, NC

Anderson, I FULLY expect a flawless job from you in my home state.... or as good as you usually do. Unfortunately, the first big event in the state has to be a closed, invite-only speech. I am glad, however, that the focus is on the war. It is about time somebody gave the topic a little more recognition, especially since it has been a hot point for the past FIVE YEARS. He better have some hard evidence on what he is willing to do with the war, or his words will fall on deaf ears. Are you sure you didn't need the stitches after diving to catch Charlie Rose's new Macbook Air for him? I heard those things have been causing lots of black eyes lately...stinks about the skin condition, I have had four removed in the last year and all returned negative, so I wish you luck, I'm sure it will be the same. You are going to get lots of sympathy I'm sure, mainly from this blog.

March 19, 2008 at 10:29 am |
  40. Charlotte D

Anderson,

There are downsides for sure for those of us who are real fair skinned, even with the use of sunblock. I am sure that everything will go well for you.

I am so looking forward to the broadcast tonight and your interview with Barack. Everything Barack has said about his relationship with his pastor, his church, his community rings true to me. I have no lingering doubts or questions. I have sat through lots of different sermons as a regular church going Christian and as one commentator said last night, it is not that you get up and leave, but that you stay and work things out. Or to put it another way, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Charlotte D
    Stockton CA

March 19, 2008 at 10:28 am |
  41. Angela

Hopefully the media and all of us will let the political process play out fairly for Sen. Obama. If we are honest we all have someone that we have associated with that has said things that we don't agree with, that is America. People are being hypocritical in their judgment of Pastor Wright and Sen. Obama. It is my hope that we can move forward in a fair and just manner.

Angela

March 19, 2008 at 10:23 am |
  42. jeana

First I hope you are doing well. I hope you heal quickly.

March 19, 2008 at 10:21 am |
  43. Kathie

While your with Obama please ask him why only chose to address
    race in his speech. Also ask him why he threw his white grandmother under the bus to save his beloved Rev. Wright. I
    would like to know why he ignored the issue of the Reverand's
    hate for America and jews etc.
    He said the Rev was well respected , loved and very influential in
    his community and across the county. This makes me ask this.
    Because the Rev. is a powrful and influential man is that why you
    chose to sit and listen to his racist sermons instead of walking
    out or speaking out against his racist and hateful rants against
    America and Americans? Did you feel he could help you in your
    political career? I can't decide if this makes him an opportunist or a
    hypocrite. I'm guessing it makes him both.
    How telling also he didn't give any credit to the white mother and grandmother and white relatives any credit for shaping him into the
    man he is today , he only credited his influential racist pastor.

March 19, 2008 at 10:21 am |
  44. Fred

Will the real Barack Obama please standup.
    My Momma always told me
    "You are judged by the company you keep" AND
    "Birds of a feather flock together" AND
    "Where there's smoke, there's fire"
    She also told me to "Judge not lest ye be judged"
    So I am waiting for the other shoe to fall.

March 19, 2008 at 10:20 am |
  45. Dominique

I wish you well Anderson; can't wait to get on the road with Obama.

March 19, 2008 at 10:19 am |
  46. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Anderson I am looking forward to hearing your report from the Obama campaign trail tonight.

I hope your surgery was a success. You should have said you got into it with Charlie, had to show him the "gun show". I'm just kidding around. It is good to know you are taking care of yourself. We want you around for a long time

March 19, 2008 at 10:12 am |
  47. Michelle ,Fonthill ,Ontrario,Canada

I hope you are ok Anderson and you are in my prayers.

March 19, 2008 at 10:11 am |
  48. donna gifford

I hope you are recovering well from your surgery. Anderson, Obama has still to answer the question why he did not remove himself from a church that espouses anti-American and hate mongering. Would you please get an answer to this question? Yes, he gave another speech yesterday, whether you consider it an artful speech, it was just that, another speech. In view of his mentor of 20 years statements and his wife's statements about this great country, the American people deserve to know why he stayed with this church and did not ever say to his Pastor "This is wrong!". Clearly this speaks to Obama's judgment – something he likes to tout as being superior to Senator Clinton. Let's not forget that he lied to the American people when he said prior to this speech that he had in fact never heard personally such remarks from his pastor. He lied to the American people when he said Tony Rezko was just a contributor like any other contributor. He, in fact, was more. He gave over $250,000 to Obama's campaign and Obama clearly had a close relationship with this indicted criminal. He lied to the American people when he originally said that no one in his campaign had spoken to top Canadian officials about NAFTA after his debate with Senator Clinton. Integrity, honesty, judgment, and character do matter when electing the next President of the United States of America. The news media needs to do its job and find out what else we don't know about Obama. The Republicans sure will. Thank you.

March 19, 2008 at 10:10 am |
  49. Cindy

Anderson,
    I watched Obama's speech and although it was a good one I still find it hard to believe him about the Wright mess. It seems hard for me to believe that he doesn't hold any of the things Wright says to heart. Guess time will tell.

I am really looking forward to seeing your time with Obama. Maybe it'll clear up some doubts about him.

Sorry to hear about your cancer. Hopefully you will fully recover and be OK. Please take care of yourself.

C-Ya tonight!!

Cynthia, Covington, Ga.

March 19, 2008 at 10:03 am |
  50. seah

I hope everything is well and the cancer is all gone, will keep you in my .

March 19, 2008 at 9:58 am |