March 19th, 2008

Anderson's View: On the road with Obama

ALT TEXT

Anderson on the ground in North Carolina and on the campaign trail with Barack Obama. Watch tonight on 360° 10p ET

We are with Senator Barack Obama on the campaign trail in North Carolina today. As we all know, it's been a tough week for Obama, and after yesterday's speech on race he is hoping to turn the focus to Iraq.

Lingering questions remain about Sen. Obama's relationship with the controversial Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and we'll talk with him about those questions, as well as Iraq, the economy, and the campaign.

On a personal note, I've been off for the last couple of days. I had minor surgery on Monday. A small spot of skin cancer was removed from under my left eye. I hadn't planned on mentioning this, but I still have stitches and you'll no doubt notice them tonight. Don't want you to think I got into a fist fight with Charlie Rose.

- Anderson Cooper

Program Note: Watch Anderson's report from North Carolina , on the campaign trail with Barack Obama, tonight on 360° 10p ET.

1. Juan Perea y Monsuwé

Hello Anderson,

Greetings from a fan from the Netherlands, hope your recovery is swift and you remain in good health.

I thought it was great the other week, you were the only one raising critical questions about Reverend Wright in a direct head-to-head with Senator Obama. The overall tone has been very kind on him, even if he contradicts himself a lot.

I just wonder if his unifying speech on race didn't portray himself as purely the black candidate of race... polls in Pennsylvania shows, Hillary Clinton leads 56 – 30 now and his 9 point lead in North Carolina has vanished, just 44 – 43 now.

But before, he always marched in the states and closed the gap. Yet now it seems to be the other way around, and he might have lost his momentum, cause the workers in these states want concrete plans and solutions, Senator Clinton seems to offer.

March 19, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  2. barbara

"Be honest about what you see, get out of the way and let the story reveal itself". Anderson Cooper, I'm holding you to your word, tonight, I will be watching and I will make a judgment about your reporting, whether you practice what you preach. And I am not trying to be mean or rude, your words are powerful, and that's the way news reporting should unfold. You see, I believe the words we speak and adhere to form the basis of our character. When we speak and say one thing and our actions display the opposite, it causes confusion/////////dissonance/discord. So please lets not have anymore of that from the media on this subject of race and religion. Whatever questions were not answered for some people who are discontent because they feel Sen Obama did not distance himself enough, please direct them to him. This is now a personal matter between him and his former pastor. I want to hear more about the issues in this campaign, i.e. how are you going to revive the american economy, how soon can we realistically get out of Iraq? I expect an objective piece on Senator Obama and I personally don't like to hear reporters feelings about the matter. That's just me, because I'm a journalist myself and I strive to report the facts as objectively and unbiased as possible because I respect my audience enough to draw their own conclusions from the information I've presented. I'm looking forward to seeing you tonight. And by the way, I call myself a cancer thriver, not merely a survivor, and you are too!

March 19, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  3. Tracy in San Diego

Will you please start asking Obama the tough questions rather than throwing him softballs? This country is in true crisis and our next leader must be more than a dynamic politician. Words are important but actions are critical. Months and months on the campaign trail and Obama has yet to show much substance. The fact that he demonstrated good judgement as an Illinois senator voicing his opposition to the Iraq war is fantastic but his lack of judgement associating with Rev Wright is more telling. I strongly doubt if Obama had been a U.S. Senator when Bush declared War against Iraq he would have had the political courage to vote against the war. He couldn't even stand up against his own church leader until he was forced to do so for political advantage.

March 19, 2008 at 1:01 pm |
  4. Kim

Anderson:

I thought you've been off because you were headed for the middle east...wow, was I wrong. I'm glad to see you're up and around and hope you're feeling better.

Stitches or no stitches, you're still the best looking reporter in the business.

Take care of yourself.

Kim, Bolingbrook, IL

March 19, 2008 at 1:00 pm |
  5. Phil, illinois

I hope you're doing well, Coop.

Take care of yourself.

March 19, 2008 at 12:59 pm |
  6. kim , bloomfield MO

Looking forward to seeing your show with Senator Obama. I really cannot understand all of the fuss about what his former minister said. You do not dictate what other people say or do or think. This is still FREE America isn't it. Senator Obama has already said numerous times that he did not agree with it. If everyone walked away from a friend, family member and yes even walked out of Church because something was said we didn't agree with, it would take care of the obesity problem, cause there would be alot of walking. Let it go. Listen to his message. I know he still has my vote.

March 19, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  7. Meagan

one more thing...i thought we seperated church and state years ago, so why is this even an issue?

March 19, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  8. Gadi

Anderson, I wish you all well, I had a similar surgery myself a few weeks ago.Mine was on the top of the nose.The doctor here in Ottawa, made a great job, and I am fine now.

I watched the entire Obama speech , also printed out the transcript , and read it again...to my opin ion it is a wonderful and courageus speech, with all the personal( electoral) risks that Obama took upon himself...he went on the fine line between finger pointing , znger and asking for regret and forgiveness.Most importantly he mentioned to all the racism is still embedded in our life, we need to face it, and continue to try and resove it.I pariase him for being so forceful in delivering such a speech.

March 19, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  9. karol sausen

Hi Anderson,

I love AC 360 and Obama. In fairness to Obama, it's important that you to end the endless loop regarding Rev. Right and focus on what Obama, as president, can do for the USA. TONITE, DARE TO BE DIFFERENT AND DISCUSS THE POSITIVE & NOT NEG.
    Thanks