March 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/18/03

Anderson is prepping for a day on the road with Barack Obama in North Carolina. Watch for that tomorrow.

So tonight Campbell Brown is pulling double duty and helping us out on 360°. Please be kind.

It's been a big day on the 360° blog.  And most of it has been about Barack Obama and his speech in Philadelphia. And that's what most of tonight's program is about too.

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. MissaL

As a Obama supporter I would like to add to his statement from his resounding speech today. Barrack stated that he could not condemn Rev Wright no more than he could condemn his white grandmother. I might add that niether Barrack nor myself a 45yo african-american female can condemn this country even after the abominations committed by this country towards my ancestors and people of color. Should we/I abandon and disown the country of our birth even though it had abandoned us? No, We won't condemn and turn away from our america.
    Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

March 18, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Mardelle

Preaching hate listening to hate . His children are going to a church that teaches this. I think this must be called Child abuse ! I had no clue this kind of hate was OK in the mind's of the Obamas . I am out rage! No he did not change anything today!

March 18, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  3. skm

I am gravely concerned about Senator Obama's association with his Reverend Jeremiah Wright and what this will mean for the Democrats in November... and regardless of who wins.. what all this hatred will mean for the country in the long-run. I am also concerned about it from a personal standpoint. I have looked at it from many directions and the only conclusion I can draw is that Senator Obama is not ready or fit to serve as President of our Great Country. If in fact he was present at any of those hate filled sermons, then he is unfit. On the other hand, if he was not present, but chose to stay a member of such a radical church without being aware of that fact, then he again is unfit for not being able to assess his close knit surroundings for more than two decades. That does not bode well for a President. How will he be able to assess his surroundings in a World Arena?

March 18, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Miguel Arras

THE AUDACITY OF HYPOCRISY
    Everyone knows Obama can give a good speech. And he did today. But,
    for all his lofty words and supposed deeply felt beliefs, one has to yet again wonder: WHERE WAS THE OUTRAGE AGAINST REV. WRIGHT AND HIS DIVISIVE HATE SPEECH DURING THE TWENTY YEARS THAT OBAMA ATTENDED THAT CHURCH? Where is the honesty? Why is it only NOW, that Obama is taking a stand against his church's bigotry and hatred? Obama LIED when first confronted with evidence of Rev. Wrights anti-American bigotry. Obama has said he had never heard the Rev. speak that way. Now he affirms that he knew about it all along, and we are supposed to trust him? His campaign was the one who tried to tar the Clintons and Geraldine Ferraro and anyone else who was critical of them as RACISTS! Obama wants to have it both ways. He says on one hand we have to understand where the anger Rev. Wrights expresses comes from, and therefor accept it. THERE SHOULD BE NO ACCEPTANCE OF HATRED, AND NO EXCUSE SHOULD BE MADE FOR IT! It goes beyond anger, the Rev. preaches HATRED pure and simple. And Obama sat in that church for TWENTY years and not until now has Obama decided to confront it! And only because it is now a detriment to his goal of winning the election. THAT IS BEYOND HYPOCRITICAL, IT IS OUTRAGEOUS! AND NO AMOUNT OF PRO OBAMA BIAS FROM THE PRESS WILL CHANGE THAT!

ONE GAY MAN'S OUTRAGE AT OBAMA
    I am just one man. My opinion means no more or no less than anyone else. But I have to register my outrage over Senator Obama's speech today. There were many good things that Senator Obama spoke of, and unfortunately there were also some bad things as well. But the one thing that truly floored me was that Senator Obama actually praised Rev. Wright for his work on HIV/AIDS. As a gay man I have witnessed in horror the death of too many of my friends from HIV/AIDS, friends that I loved dearly. To see Obama praise a man who preaches that AIDS was created by the "Evil White Man as a weapon to murder the African American race" goes beyond outrage, IT DISGUSTS ME! I have seen my friends die, and watched as many in America blamed gay people for this disease. To hear Rev. Wright spew those same types of hateful conspiracy theories about who is to "blame" for HIV brings back many hateful memories that I would very much like to forget. For anyone to use the death and suffering of millions of people from HIV/AIDS to justify their own warped racist hatred is absolutely inhuman. And to see a man who may become our next President actually praise him for it, is wrong!

SO VERY WRONG!

March 18, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Steve Chambers

I am disgusted by CNN's biased coverage of the Obama/ Rev. Wright story. Especially by CNN's Campbell Brown. I have watched all night and the only people she has had on were defending Rev. Wright. If I were in a church and heard such words from my preacher I would get up and leave the church. It says a lot that he continued to attend as a member for over 20 years. and sent his children. Campbell Brown continues to only have the SAME people on her show over and over defending Rev. Wright. Come on guys. This is the worsed case of biased reporting I have seen in 50 years. CNN is determined to push their agenda of electing Barrack Obama. I refuse to watch such propaganda. I thought Fox News was bad. CNN has turned the tables. Especially Campbell Brown. Somebody in the executive position needs to do something with her. Unless she is just following orders from the top. From now on I will be watching MSNBC.

March 18, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Carol

I just watched Obama's speech on his website and it was fabulously delivered. He touched on almost every point that is important to every person. He didn't just talk about "this experience" or "that experience", but he showed a broad understanding of every American's experience, and how we will never get anything solved as long as we continue on distractions that serve no good purpose. I am sticking with him through November. I have not waivered as being a supporter of his.

March 18, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Tim - Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Tom Hocknell I agree with you 100%. Very well said!!!!!
    Tim

March 18, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Abayomi

Ms. Faye – Please tell her not to insult too many peoples intelligence, especially mine. If she has no positive statement about the add to that brilliant statement by Obama on his minister, to just say, "pass". That sounds better than the rediric she's putting out there, that he didn't disown the man for preaching. The quicker America gets over the fact that it's still one of the most racist countries in the world and start a true dialogue in solving this situation, we are deciving ourselves. America, the greatest country in the World, built on the blood and sweat of immigrants and slaves, needs to face this fact. I never heard the word, "prejudice" until I came to America at 14, and started expriencing it immediately in mine mid-west middle school. I was so disappointed, as having friends in the 'SIM' – Sudan Interior Mission Schools, in Africa, which were white, grew up together, never knew there was a difference because of skin color. Rude awaking coming to America. I could go on and on, as far as history, it was just 1968 that MLK was assasinated, and so on.
    It's a new day, and I truly and sincerely believe that when we talk about this issue, it will all give us the wisdom, knowledge and understanding to know that we are all the same, Children of the living God, that bleeds, "RED BLOOD". We claim, to the a Christian Nation, and yet in my The Bible, 1611 King James Version, the policies that is been observe by the "Integrity Admininstration" seems quiet opposite to readings I have read. Jesus' travels, Cares, Love doesn't match what we Preach. "LOVE CONQURS ALL"...that was Christ statement. You win VICTORY OVER YOUR ENEMIES, BY LOVING THEM FIRST. As a Christian, we are to extend the hand first. Did Jesus give any Condition for HIS LOVE for US?
    THIS IS A NEW DAY...AND UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IS READY FOR THE CHALLENGE. GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, SO WE CAN TRULY TAKE OUR PLACE OF 1ST BACK IN THE WORLD...AMEN.

March 18, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Kay

Anyone using Sen. Obama's relationship with Rev. Wright as a reason to withdraw their support was probably looking for a way out. If not this it probably would have been something else. Talk about dishonesty and misleasding people...remember WHITE WATER

March 18, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Mary

Obama is a phony, America wake up and smell the racism, from Obama. He sure plays that card well. Who is a member of a church for 20 years and not know the views of the pastor?? Give me a break...what a liar.

March 18, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Anna

I must say that black Americans are a very strong and resilient people. After 400 years of slavery, several more years lynching and injustice, they still have the ability to smile and love the race that enslaved and terrorized them. That is the power of God. Only the love of God can heal the wounds of the past. I pray that white Americans will take time and patience to really understand the plight of the black race and not have a get over it attitude. Trust me if the tables were turned and it was the Africans who bought white slaves to work in the fields of Africa, Im almost certain the whites would not heal as fast as the blacks have. Our Jewish brothers and sisters have suffered and are still suffering and we will never forget the holocaust. All I ask is for a little more patience and understanding. Thank God for Barack Obama who has a little piece of both races (and some) in his DNA.

March 18, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  12. joanne osinkowski

I was so impressed with Obamas speech today I burnt my lunch. Thank goodness for smoke alarms. Wish we had Obama running for our country.

Joanne Ontario canada

March 18, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Jack

I felt bad by my emotional response to the news of the comments from the pastor of Obama. As a former state senator and a Republican I introduced Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday legislation. I grew up with a Dad that pulled out of the Elks due to their policy on black membership and I had an older brother that brought his best friend home for the summer, a black, from college in Illinois and then watched someone from my community burn a cross in front of my Dad's business due to the fact he hired him for the summer. I still remember that my white minister said my Dad was wrong for bringing a Black into our community. Maybe I should be more concerned with the comments of my minister than those of Obama?

March 18, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Michael, NC

how can the gov pour money into the market and make cuts and expect that not to backfire?

March 18, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Debra

When will you run Barack's speech? You're spending time talking about it...why not show it? We want to see it during prime time when we as a family can see it.

March 18, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Dona Malone

I think Obama did what he needed to do. The race issue just shows that most white people have no idea what black folks go through on a daily basis. The black church has been an anchor in the community. It's now time to get back to the issues. The candidates need to stay on message and give further details on how they will deal with the problems of America.

March 18, 2008 at 10:55 pm |