March 14th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/14/08

Tonight, Anderson interviews Sen. Barack Obama.

We'll open the blog to comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. henry

Can someone read the history of the christians in the various parts of the world. Whites have in the past oppressed the blacks/slaves using the bible and what pastor wright is saying is th truth

March 14, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Robert

Roland keeps trying to obfuscate the issue at hand! His voice evens sounds different.

March 14, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Serious PA Voter

AC, do you think it reflects good on Obama's judgment that he never questioned the pastor BEFORE running for the presidency, never issued a statement condemning the views of the pastor after the 2002 statements?

March 14, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Billi

Condemning America is not hating America? I do not think Reverend Martin Lutehr King would agree with that.

March 14, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  5. Marion

He just said it was a part of the churchs tradition...how did Obama miss that?

March 14, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  6. Mike

Kathy what issues?

March 14, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  7. Adina

Being a Christian is not about hate, be it to justify racistism and prejustice of black or whites.

March 14, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Jane

I understand that there were terrible injustices done in the past and nothing can ever make up for that, but if white people are going to be made to apologize for the rest of eternity for them, then the least african-americans can do is also acknowledge the amount of racism they spew as well. It seems to be a double-edged sword. No one, including Barack Obama, can unite a country if everyone doesn't step up and accept responsibility for their own actions.

March 14, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar

@ Anderson,
    how many people hurt or damage in Altanta GA tonight tornado strikes? or any people die?

March 14, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Jewell

Why is Barack being held responsible for something his pastor says in his own church? As an African American I know that what Rev. Wright says will not be understood by white America. We have had a very different experience. Wright's experience and expression of it has nothing to do with Barack.

March 14, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  11. Kate

I can sympathize with Obama. As a devout Catholic, I occasionally find myself on the defensive for individual statements that I may not agree with. I was dismayed at Pope Benedicts remarks that offended Muslims, but many of his other writings and beliefs have touched me deeply. I have yet to find a preacher or priest I agree with 100% of the time. I think we need to see more than two minute snippets to judge Mr. Wright.

March 14, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  12. ie peters

Anderson;

I think that perhaps Obama's Pastor is ill. His ravings sound like that of a very ill man. Perhaps that should be the focus for a moment.

March 14, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  13. JAMES

This guy is one slick dude.

March 14, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  14. Kathy

David Gergen is right again. Let's get back to the issues.

March 14, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  15. Ray Nashville, TN

The last time I checked, most people go to the church where they feel most comfortable. Based on his words, he does not agree with this, but his emotions and body language told me he was just trying to make a cushion for himself. He is inspiring to others. Now that I know this, maybe it's for the wrong reasons. I'm voting for Hillary.

March 14, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Ashley

Lori you said "The odds of attending a church for 20 years and remaining clueless to the Pastor’s sermons does sound a little hard to believe. We’ll see"

They were two sermons what the hell are you people talking about??!!

March 14, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Ron Perez

I found Mr. Obama's responses to be questionably genuine. My support for Obama is in jeopardy. It is very hard to belive that after 20 years Barack could be suprised by the Pastor's comments.

March 14, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Julia Roberts

Can you believe this guy??? Obama just sat there and lied not only to Anderson Cooper but straight to the American people. Number one this pastor has had these views for a long time. Everyone in america heard about the sermon on the "chickens coming home to roost.', after 911. He says he did not. This was from HIS church. If he is that out of touch and did not, is he who you want for president? There is no way he had not heard about that sermon and the others, no way. He has advisors, many advisors, there is no way this was not brought to his attention right from the start and he chose to ignore it. Now he is caught and he is lying.

March 14, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  19. John F

Basically, those Americans who understand 'The Audacity of Hope' and have EXPERIENCED an Obama gathering,

... could really CARE LESS. and will continue

the crusade.

March 14, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Carole

What did the Rev say about Obama and Clinton that wasn't true?

March 14, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Lilibeth

David G. is right again…let’s get back to the issues…the economy, the war... It’s more important that we know Barack’s stance on the issues…

March 14, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  22. Bobbie

Great job, AC...true, I don't agree with everything my friends or mypastor believes either...but if there was such a chasm in our beliefs, especially from my pastor, I would kindly remove myself from such an influence. This is a difficult one to take from the good Senator. And yes...it is an important political point worthy of news...he's running for the President of our country.

March 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  23. gail

Obama said, "I CAN'T object strongly enough" to the comments. If he CAN'T object, he is, in essence, in support of the reverend's comments. Further, he states he is pro United States and then says "but". Again, the "but" negates the first statement. Last, he never did say he would sing patriotic songs in a different venue. That says a lot.

March 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  24. David

Hi Anderson,

Are you now going to ask all the politicians that come on your show if they don't mind singing "God Bless America"? Or only the African American ones who are accused of sympathy with the "Un-American" statements of their pastor? I look forward to a thorough examination of all the sermons given by all the ministers, pastors, etc. of all the presidential candidates on your show.

March 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  25. Shawn Brouse, Beavertown, Pa

Barack Obama has lost his chance to be president. Its just as important how you stand on teh issues as how you stand, period.

March 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  26. Billi

David Gergen is right that the election is about the issues but people are very concerned about this issue and, please, do not diminish our need to trust the judgment of our candidates.

March 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  27. dena

I would hope that no man is judged by the actions of another man. all I can say is judge me for my actions and not my brothers.

March 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  28. Lesli

Help!!! A storm in downtown Atlanta causing damage! Please tell me Robin Meade and all of the other members of the CNN news family in Atlanta are alright!

March 14, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Sonia - Houston, TX

Anderson, I held CNN to a high standard, your coverage of this nonsense has put CNN in the garbage witht the other trash peddling media outletsk, what a waste

March 14, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  30. Jimmy

David Gergen is Barack Obama's number 1 apologist. So much for his objective credentials....

March 14, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  31. Sam

The mudslinging is is disgusting. This was put out there to stir it up.
    Actually, can anyone deny that what the pastor said is true about this country's past? This latest mud shows how threatened Hillary and her camp are. This is why I will not now vote for Hillary.

March 14, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  32. candis

As a church going Christian I can't believe Obama didn't know the pasor's feelings after 16 years in his church. I have left churches more than once because pastors displayed inappropriate values. I was undecided before this but now support Clinton.

March 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Michele

Are people really surprised that there is still anger in black america? However ugly or inappropriate this statements may be there is still some truth to what is being said. You would have to be a fool to believe that this is the only thing that is being preached in this church. As far as I know churches offer many other influences. It is not all based on what one mans says. We should have learned that from the current president.

March 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  34. bee

Anderson,
    I see a man trying to walk a fine line. I question his judgment, apparently that of youth. Even without his personna and education, he is too young to judge his own friends, if he wants to run for President. I question his ability to discern whom and how to trust advisors. Either he is too naive and trusting or he is schizophrenic. This is a man who is not astute, despite his education. (Of course he knew what his pastor said!)

March 14, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  35. nordia

As a black woman I am outraged and angered by the way the media is portraying this issue by rev. Wright. Our long standing history of racism, slavery and discrimination is not that old or in the distance of our mind. Black people are still experiencing racism and discrimination to this day. The older generation of black people have experienced this WICKED INJUSTICE!!! first hand. So let's not be sooo condemning because older generation white americans helped caused this anger and racism, slavery and injustice in the first place.

March 14, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  36. eunia kelley

I did not hear a solid answer from Obama about singing the National Anthem. Also there is no way that anyone will belong to a church that goes against his or her beleifs.

March 14, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  37. Patrick

Since the crowds shown on each of these clips seems to be enthusiastically responding to everything Rev Wright is saying, it seems many of these constituents agree with what is being said.

March 14, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Kathie

Rev Wright's method of preaching does seem to harden hearts more than soften hearts. I believe Senator Obama wants to do just the opposite.

March 14, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Debbie

Anderson, did you notice that he did not give you an answer when you asked him about singing God Bless America? Why didnt you follow up on that! Also, he is part white raised by his white mother and her family and abandoned by his black father, so why does he claim only his black heritage and not the white side of him? Is he ashamed to be part white?

March 14, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Renee

Thank you Tony Perkins! What about the church bulletin and the church newsletters? CNN can you obtain copies of the church newsletters? What else does this man write about?

March 14, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Mike

Why did you have to "leave it at that" for the God Bless America statement?? The feelings about patriotism is the issue under fire here.

March 14, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Jean Thompson

Anerson I thought surely you would have ask Obama why he refused to wear the American Flag on his lapel this year...sounds like to me he shares his preachers views

March 14, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Martha

20 years of being brain washed, be careful America.

March 14, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  44. Cindy

David is right. The media needs to dig deeper into this and see how many times sermons like this was preached.

Cynthia, Ga.

March 14, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  45. Nick

I think we can see why we need a man like Obama. Now even though he could not admit it. I will the pastor is VERY CORRECT, about SOME THINGS. Indeed Hiliary did not face as much discrimination as Obama did and probably STILL DOES face, despite his current status.

They say the truth is a bitter pil to swallow, the pastor spoke truth, and Obama is correct that Older African Americans are still stuck in the civil rights era, now thats also a completely wrong view, in an age with Millionare blacks, from entertainers to CEO's things have changed.

But Obama I believe handled himself well, but it is strange to have somebody preaching unity to have such a Pastor at odds with him!

March 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  46. valerie

tThis is a sad commontary on the state of american race. YES I am a African American women .Do I think that what the Rev. said was untrue, that this country is run by rich white people. if not them please tell me who? This is another attempt to distract from the true problems of this nation, such as the economy the war, education poverty, health care and yes RACE. but i'm sure you won't print this.

March 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  47. JEANNIE MCLEOD

My God, until today, I fought for Barack. TODAY, I'm sorry, I will just back-out and not vote. His "pastor" who married Barack and baptized his children is an absolute IDIOT AND MADMAN....JUST LIKE GEORGE W. BUSH (FULL OF HATE). i'm just not going to have any responsibility with this next election....it's just EVIL!

March 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Magdalen O'Meara

This "sermon" in the form of ranting and raving against priveleged white people of America by Barack Obama's anti-while pastor is very disturbing and is a definite red flag for American voters.

The fact that Barack admits how close he still is to this pastor and maintains firmly that he continues to attend this church is also disturbing.

This particular ranting and raving by his pastor is obviously not an isolated instance and is a part of his distorted viewpoint. Most of America til now believed Barack would never associate himself with people of this kind. It is a shame.

March 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Mark

I don't understand why Obama didn't distance himself from this man Wright a long time ago. There are plenty of churches one can go to. Especially if you want to be president. Wright is Obama's spiritual advisor? Would that continue if he was president? I think it causes more racial division Why does Wright say Obama is not rich? It's quite confusing. I don't think I want to vote Obama. Disillusioned.

March 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  50. shash

I heard the pastor talk on TV today. Mr. Obama is a not convincing. The
    way this pastor is talking it is not a one time thing. Mrs. Obama also
    mentioned earlier....that this is the first time she is(or) will be proud
    of this country ..... I think both may be connected. Things are not