March 14th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/14/08

Tonight, Anderson interviews Sen. Barack Obama.

We'll open the blog to comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Phil from Indiana

I wish the media would spend half as much time on covering the issues that they do on tabloid sensationalism. Now it is important to hold the candidates accountable for what other people say just because they know them? It just confirms to me that the focus of the media is just political theater. The views that are really important are buried under useless tripe.

March 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  2. Emily P

Obama never answered your question about saying 'God Bless America' with a simple "Yes" or "No". His answer was indirect and disturbing.

3. Mike Case, Columbus, OH

My worst nightmare would be Obama becomes president, and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright becomes the White House Chaplain!

4. Kirk

I watched the Olbermann and Major Garrett interviews with Obama as well tonight and you did the best job Anderson on interviewing him. Great work.

5. Josh Rosenblum

Obama fails to appreciate the weight of his close association with a man with these views. His failure to outright denounce Rev. Wright is frightening.

6. Junie

Rev. Wright's fiery sermon took place on Dec. 25th. It is hard to believe that Mr. Obama and his team were unaware of Wright's incendiary sermon when this same team was quick to inflame the public regarding Geraldine Ferraro's recent comments.

7. Judy

Anderson,
    As a former Obama supporter, I find this Pastor vile. I cannot believe that my favorite candidate could not distance himself further than he already has. To "Damn American is just a disgrace" and he did not answer you when you asked him if he would sing God Bless America, but laughed, and did not answer. Very upsetting.

8. walkertoad7

I watched the interview and Barry has a huge problem. it is not believeable by anyone that he did not know this "Rev" is a black racist, hate monger and anti-american. Just wait to see what HC does with this. it will be brutal.

9. abou

I agree with Obama. I simply believe these are the views of his old pastor. He has no control over what anyone says.

10. Rocky @ Alamo

Memo to the Obama campaign: Let he who is without sin cast the first stone-This guy makes Gerry Ferraro sound like a Hallmark Card! In the future you might not get so indignant when campaign surrogates step out of line!

11. Jane - WI

Could 20 years of indoctrination with this hate speech at church be why Michelle Obama has never been proud of America in her adult life? This is a couple of great wealth and privilege, yet she especially just doesn't seem to be happy with her country.

12. Kathy, Pennsylvania

I go to my church and the minister is generally picked by the church to reflect the beliefs of that church. So why would he be going to a church like that?

13. Chris J From IL

unfortunately, your average american will not take the time to understand all of this...they will just get thrown around with the rest of the mud...

14. Jose Rodriguez

It is incredulous to believe that Obama had no idea that his Pastor views on America, Race, …. These were incendiary remarks and I am certain Obama either heard them from the Pastor or from the folks who attended one of these sermons!! Come on Obama I expected better from him.

Jose

15. Mary Carstens

Anderson, how can anyone believe Obama is a patriot? You should have made him sing. I don't think he loves his country. I think he has ulterior motives for being president. How can he be a member of a church for 20 years and not know what his pastor is preaching? Jeez. Does Obama think we're morons? I don't buy it for a minute.

16. Terrin

For those who think pastor Wright is using profanity. Damn is in the bible.

17. Mattman

Princeton University, $300,000 dollar a year job, book royalties, and Obama's not rich?

It sounds "good" in a sermon, but it's flim-flam.

18. skm

Good evening Anderson,
    There is no contrition there whatsoever.... Where's the conscience?
    It was completely a political statement. That did not touch the heart at all... and it was obvious.

Cant hoodwink and bamboozzle us!! We are too well trained by the expert investigator, Anderson Cooper!

19. Liz - Ontario, Canada

What is on that tape is very hateful and disturbing. I don't mind if America elect s a black, white, christian or a monk for President...just please make sure you don't not elect a racist.

20. jenifer

I am here watching the show and I am curious. When Sen. Obama was asked whether he sould sing God Bless America he never answered the question. He laughed it off with some remark about his talent but I would have liked to have a straight answer.

21. Joe

The comments do not reflect my beliefs. I have known my minister for twenty years, he is like an uncle to me, his comments came as a complete shock to me. Obama needs to get to know his advisors better before spending twenty years with them. God bless all Americans except on Sundays and religous holidays.

22. mimoza

Does Obama ecpect the nation to believe that in 20 years he never heard about his pastor's coments? I think this is a matter of his credibility.

23. Rhonda

Perhaps Obama does not have the "judgement" he profeses that he has. He is either not telling the truth about his knowledge of the Reverend's racial diatribe's or he is extraordinarily naive. Either of these characteristics would not be great on the resume for a future president. It is also quite suspicious that Michelle Obama said she was only recently proud of America for the first time. That statement simply cannot be ignored in light of the fact that these folks have been members of this church for two decades.

March 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Susan

In covering this subject of Rev. Wright, I would urge you to try to educate people about the tradition of such preaching in black and white evangelical churches alike. This is not confined to Rev. Wright or African-American churches. You have a responsibility to also show how Barack Obama has LIVED a life of openness, tolerance, peacemaking, community organizing, and bringing people together. It's sickening that you make someone - such a person of class - like Senator Obama ha ve to prove his love of country when so much of his life AS LIVED has exemplified these high ideals.

Quit being a sheep and following the other media like Fox TV. Why not cover the deserving issues? And by the way, what an awful question at the end to ask Senator Obama if he would sing "God Bless America." That is very demeaning and offensive to this man who has given decades of public service to America.

March 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Pamela-Ohio

Why does every one hold the candidates responsible for comments other people make? Obama is not responsible for his minister, Hillary is not responsible for Geraldine,and McCain is not responsible for Cunningham. I'm getting tired of hearing every day of another comment that the candidates are distanting them from. Let's stick to the issues and forget this other nonsense.

March 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  26. georgy

He can throw Rev. Wright under the bus, but he won't leave that racist church. What a sham. Obama is lying. He can't get a free pass on this one.

March 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  27. Mike

If it can be proven Obama EVER attended one of these sermons he is DONE. He just said he never knew about them.

I bet he did

March 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  28. AK

I seriously doubt that Obama had no clue about what his pastor was saying. Even if he wasn't in church regularly, I'm sure people talked about these sermons. And to the person above, it's one thing to disagree with something your pastor said, but what this pastor was saying is totally unacceptable and if I belonged to a church in which the pastor talked about others in this way, you better believe I would be walking out that door!!

March 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  29. anderson cooper

interesting.. some of you are saying this is non-news and doesnt matter, but it certainly seems to be something that people are talking about.. and from the majority of comments it seems like there are strong feeling about this story

March 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  30. Angie

This interview is totally ridiculous. The entire congregation is on its feet with applause for this preacher – how can Barack say that the church did not agree with the comments? Is he literally the only one in the congregation who did not agree with the comments?

Compared to Ferraro's comments, this is so much more outrageous. If one of Hillary's supporters said anything like this, she would be done. This country is blind, and naive.

March 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  31. anderson cooper

interested to know if what senator obama says tonite.. changes anybody's mind.. ?

March 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  32. Ryan, Illinois

Good interview. I think Rev. Wright and McCain's nutty religious sponsors should come on and debate one-another.

Now THAT would be good television!

March 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  33. Gloria Moore

Absolutely no way a person could be a member of this church for twenty years and not understand the hatred being preached about our Country.

March 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  34. Ed from Boston

Anderson –

if Obama is so against the comments of the pastor and the church, and would have left the church had he heard the comments, whe didn't he quit the church tonight?

March 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  35. Deb Downs

Anderson,

You can't tell me that Barack never heard any of this talk from Rev. Wright when he went to the church. Did Rev Wright only talk this way when Barack wasn't there? 20 years of going to this church, come on now....are we all stupid????????????????

March 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  36. torina

Blacks should be ashamed of this man....racism goes two ways.

March 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  37. Carla Rossi

Telling your congregation to hate America is not a view, it is incitment to riot.

March 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  38. Sandi

Anderson:

Why does anyone go to church to hear a pastor preach about politics? I don't watch CNN to hear a sermon. CNN is for news, politics,etc. Church is to learn more about Jesus and God.

I am a Mormon and people were worried about Mitt Romney having the Mormon Church run the the country. Not so. We do not mention politics AT ALL during any of our meetings. We are simply reminded the Sunday before elections to do our duty as citizens and vote our choice in all elections.

Politicians also do not need to go to church to give political speeches. Maybe they would be doing better if they went and listened to a real sermon.

March 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  39. Vee

A simple, ancient truth: A man can be judged by the company he keeps.

March 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  40. Chris

Have we forgotten the comments that republican conservative reverends Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson said in the '700 Hundred Club" that 9-11 we can thanks "homos, feminists and liberals" for it? And they put Bonzo's pal Reagan in the White House in 1980? So what's the big deal with Mr. Obama's reverend comments? Feedback, please.

March 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  41. George L. Marra

He just loss my vote!!

March 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  42. Laura

Does anyone think that MLK is a radical? He made some inflammatory statements about the US as well, and he preached about hope and unity.

March 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  43. Patrick Callery

Barak Obama is shocked, shocked to find out anti-American, racist statements have been going on in a church he has been attending for 20 years.

March 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  44. Marie

Did Obama not know the pastor had given an award to Farrakhan?

Thank you for asing him some tougher questions, I appreciate it.

March 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  45. skm

AC, I listened to the words, but it was clear to me that it is coming from the lips and not from the heart.. There is something VERY superficial. He did not express outrage.. disgust.. nothing.. No real disappointment.. "there was no need to talk about anyone that way?"

America is going to have to deal with it, FAST!! This is unbelievable!!

March 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  46. Kelly, Austin, TX

Rebecca, when your pastor preaches hate would you STAY in that church. Most people who find a fundamental difference with what their pastor is telling them will find a new church.

March 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  47. Bonnie

Give me a break–in 20 years he never heard Rev. Wright make these kinds of statements? Right!!!!

March 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  48. ambboogie

This is ridiculous!!!

Why is Obama being held accountable for another man's words?

Why isn't John McCain being held accountable for the words of his Catholic-Hating Minister friend?

Before this broke, people were going on and on about him being MUSLIM...and now they want to latch on to this?

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!

March 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  49. Rose, San Bernardino, Ca

I think if Senator Obama knew that he was going to run for President I feel that he would of changed church along time ago.

March 14, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  50. rhenry101

It's hard to believe that Obama has never heard the particular speeches of Rev. Wright's that have recently been exposed by the media. Obama was clearly the main topic of some of these speeches. He never heard them, or heard of them? Rev. Wright has every right to his opinions. That's Freedom of Speech. But we also have the Freedom to Listen. Or Not Listen. And regardless of his denials, Obama's been listening for 20 years. As as a Obama supporter, it's troubling to say the least....

March 14, 2008 at 10:10 pm |