March 14th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/14/08

Tonight, Anderson interviews Sen. Barack Obama.

We'll open the blog to comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. anderson cooper

good evening everyone.

March 14, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  2. rebecca, ohio

i attended church faithfully for years. did i always agree with everything that my pastor preached about? no. if every person who disagreed with at least one view of their pastor left their church, i don't think there would be many people in the pews on sunday.

March 14, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  3. xtina

Also, please ask the Senator if he did or did not say that Rev. Jeremiah Wright is his "mentor".

March 14, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  4. EJ - Ohio

This also involves big differences between black churches and white churches.

I know that most of those comments shown were controversial but I have heard ministers make many controversial social and political statements in church.

March 14, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  5. Vincent

Dwayne Richardson March 14th, 2008 10:03 pm ET

Anderson, come on. I know ratings matter, but the coverage of Sen. Obama and the Rev. Wright, Hillary Clinton and Ferraro….. Can we please move back to the issues and away from these truly non-issue, sensational events.

=================

Dwayne, while i agree that these are 'sensational events' and the other campaigns, and journalists, will keep bringing this up. But i think its still important to ask about them so people can see if that rhetoric has had an effect on Obama, and what those effects are.

March 14, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  6. Pat,NYC

Either way it's very bad for Obama. If it's discovered that he was aware of Wright's comments before now it' s all over for him. If he really was unaware,that's bad too .We already have an unaware President "what gas is $4 a gallon....I didn't hear that?????

March 14, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  7. Alex

If my pastor went off the rails on any given Sunday and I wasn't at church, I promise you somebody would call and tell me and I'm not running for president, senator or state legislature. This is the audacity of harp!

March 14, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  8. Jessica

Really, I must say that for the past two weeks or maybe more, I have not heard anything on the issues of these campaigns, it is either a story of Geraldine Ferraro or Reverend Wright, or RACE or SEXISM. When can the media move on

March 14, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  9. Anne

Why would Obama attend a church whose minister preached
    such sermons? I certainly hope he is not elected.

March 14, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  10. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

It seems hard to believe that no one ever approached Obama while he was attending service regularly to let him know what the pastor was saying about him. I think that Senator Obama needs to come out and say I not only condemn the messages that are in question about myself and Senator Clinton, but I condemn the fact that the pulpit was used for anything other than spreading and teaching the Word of God.

March 14, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Parker

I have never been more proud of Anderson Cooper than I am tonight. Thank you for not backing down to Barack Obama. I do not think Barack is being honest here.

March 14, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  12. skm

What context? You went to the church for 20 years, and THAT is the context!

March 14, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Deepali- CT

This is crazy. How can Senator Obama have allowed his pastor to speak in this manner? Even though he wasn't present, he obviously heard about it, and did not put a stop to it!

March 14, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  14. Sabrina, Las Vegas, NV

Let me get this right, Anderson. You're doing the job of Fox News, now?

March 14, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  15. Sarah

I have a hard time believing Barack. Why did he ever have such a close relationship with this man? Maybe there needs to be more said about the good the reverand has done. I still feel like this guy is a reflection of Barack, even if Barack says he isn't.

March 14, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  16. Robert

Clinton and Obama followers are SICK of all the sniping ON BOTH SIDES!

March 14, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  17. D Jackson-Jones

Your opening statement said that this issue "has the potential to derail his campaign". Strong, Unnecessary, and influential Words. What does this have to do with the issues? Trash News!!!

March 14, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Laura

Please voters, when you say you would not dismiss an “old friend”
    just because he had opinions that were not the same as your own,
    you MUST remember that we are NOT electing someone to be your
    friend.
    We are electing someone to lead our country. There is a HUGE difference!

March 14, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  19. Rose, San Bernardino, Ca

Pastor, needs to read the bible again, God in love not hate.

March 14, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  20. Scott, NYC

This is not good for Obama. Hillary is drooling,

March 14, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  21. Kelly, Austin, TX

Hi Anderson, I hope you will finally be the journalist that starts to ask some hard questions. It is too unbelievable that you can belong to a church for 20 years and never have heard the kind of sermons made by Reverend Wright. It was in 2001 that he claimed that it was US fault that 3000 American citizens were killed in 9/11. There is no possible way he could not have ever known about the kinds of sermons being preached in the church he belonged to.

March 14, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  22. comet

Was Obama at Church on Christmas when Wright made the remarks about Clinton? Wright was pointing to someone in the front "saying there is a man right here" then goes in to the rest of the Obama/Hillary Bill comments

March 14, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  23. LL Barra/ Woodstock,NY

My word he has friends who attend this church....come on....m I to believe no one ever came over to the Obama hom eand said...Wow, you should have heard Pastor Wright's sermon over Christmas. this is such a weak defence. This man is not ready to lead my country.

He can not detach himself from this.

Right on Anderson you nailed that question as I type. His judgement is too wishy washy for this female. No matter how you spin this it does not pass the smell test.

March 14, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  24. skm

AC, you could see through that one, it was all over your face..

WOW! Barack, Go lie somewhere else..

March 14, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  25. Claire in Birmingham, AL

Um... my pastor and I have differing views on a lot of things. His views don't reflect on those of mine. I don't really know what the big deal is. So what Obama's pastor flies off the handle and says weird/bad stuff? Doesn't mean those are the thoughts of those in the church...

March 14, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Alison

Anderson, my pastor says alot of things that I do not agree with, but I am certainly not responsible for what he says. Also, have you ever watched the christian channels and heard what they say, seriously americans are smarter than this! CNN needs to go back to substansive journalism. this is nonsense

March 14, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Ben

Wow! great job AC 360, getting to the bottom of the remarks made by Obama's pastor by getting to the source himself!
    Although it slightly felt like you were attacking him.

March 14, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

I just can't believe Obama never knew of these statements until he ran for president.

March 14, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, Ohio

Obama claims he didn't hear about these remarks until he was running for president? That is impossible to believe, as inflammatory as those statements were it must have been the talk of the congregation at the time. That sounds like an excuse George Bush would give.

March 14, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Carla Rossi

Obama is not confessing anything. He is lying. How can we have a president who belongs to a church that hates America.

Obama's "confession" is to little too late!

March 14, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  31. EJ - Ohio

I kind of wish people's religious outings & Sunday church sermons could be personal to them but I understand how this causes a firestorm.

Churches do preach controversial things. They don't like gays, they many times believe women are not equal to men.

I'm not sure to what degree we should dissect people's churches.

I just feel bad that this is going to be used in commercials like the Swift boat ads. I also feel bad that the pastor didn't think enough about Obama to tone down the rhetoric a bit. He could single handedly screw his chances and I hope that doesn't happen.

March 14, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Vincent

This is becoming a recurring issue for Obama and i dont really know if theres anything he can do to correct it.

Personally, i dont care how 'pre-eminent' the pastor is, his comments are still disturbing.

March 14, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Paolo

Hi Anderson,

The bottomline on controversial race-related comments, Clinton has Ferarro, Obama has Rev. Right and both left the campaigns. So it's a tie. In terms of condemning their respective backer's comments, Obama outright condemned it and Clinton has apologised for them. So it's still a tie and both did damage control fairly well.

March 14, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Kathy Chicago,Il

What happened to the new opening? Those words have never been spoken in any Church I've ever attended. They should not be spoken in God's house.

March 14, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Parker

How can Senator Obama claim to be a person to unite when his spiritual mentor and adviser is clearly a separatist? At it's core, this seems to me to be in direct conflict. I would be rejecting that kind of message, not continue to support the foundation from which it came. On a personal note, if my spiritual leadership preached as Dr. Wright has done. I would not be standing in praise, but rather standing to walk out!

Jeremiah Wright just recently retired as of this year.

March 14, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  36. leila

Obama is not the ONLY member of that church. He cannot tell the pastor what to say or what to think.

And what about the doctrine of "separation of church and state". It's not even Obama's religious statements that your hyping. It's that of an old man who's retired and you keep replaying the same extreme video. Let it go! Judge Obama for what Obama says and what has done, and what he says.

If you have evidence that Obama is racist or likely to bring that pastor into the White House, then repot it.

March 14, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Brian Persaud

Of course Rev. Jeremiah's statements are news to Obama. If he had known all these statements beforehand, he would have severed ties with him long before.

March 14, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

He didn't know about this until he started running for president. Sure...

March 14, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Christine

I hope Anderson will be a real reporter and ask the right questions and demand the real answers. I want to know why people stand behind a man who wants to run the country and protect the flag that he won't stand and pledge to. I know, I know this won't pass moderation either.

March 14, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Terri - Winnipeg Canada

We can't blame one person, for what another says. We have to learn to discern...and realize who is saying what.
    He seems confused as to why the minister is saying what he says... and so are the rest of us. Here's hoping the minister talks more about Jesus, and less about politics.

March 14, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

It seems to me, if your pastor is using profanity such as "damn" and the "n" word, and you were a member of that church, it might be time to find a new church.

March 14, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Terry Daniel

Let's put some things to rest. Was Obama sworn into office on a Bible or a Koran? Does he pledge allegance to the American flag or not? Will he represent all Americans if elected?
    Thanks

March 14, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Dwayne Richardson

Anderson, come on. I know ratings matter, but the coverage of Sen. Obama and the Rev. Wright, Hillary Clinton and Ferraro..... Can we please move back to the issues and away from these truly non-issue, sensational events.

March 14, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar

I can't wait see Anderson interview Obama!!!

March 14, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

I just don't see how one could attend a church for 10 years and not know that the pastors sernons are exactly positive.

March 14, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

The odds of attending a church for 20 years and remaining clueless to the Pastor's sermons does sound a little hard to believe. We'll see

March 14, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Parker

With all do respect, as in many topics in the past, Senator Obama is trying to dismiss or divert this situation. By insinuating Rev. Wright, is nothing more than a loose lip uncle. Being a person of faith, I must say here, I do not seek my spiritual guidance and fellowship for such a divisive character. Senator Obama has stated on many occasions, Rev. Jeremiah Wright is a major influence in his life. Rev. Wright has been Obama's leading spiritual mentor, even indirectly giving the Senator the name of this book. Dr. Wright and Trinity United Church of Christ has been the Senator's spiritual foundation for the last twenty years. This is an information part of his growth as a leader!

March 14, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Rose, San Bernardino, Ca

Hi, Anderson!

I hope that Senator Obama will clear-up somethings with us about his minister and church.

March 14, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. georgy

Please ask Senator Obama why he would still want to belong to church that is a Black separatist church when his rhetoric is about being united. Please ask him about the church's mission statement below.

We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

March 14, 2008 at 9:59 pm |
  50. barry

Anderson, do not give Senator Obama an easy pass this eveining. Keep him accountable and insist of ownership

March 14, 2008 at 9:53 pm |