March 14th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/14/08

Tonight, Anderson interviews Sen. Barack Obama.

We'll open the blog to comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. jaden

Its about time people see Obama's a man,and not a god that walks on water.

March 14, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Oliver

Anderson, is this story worth so much air time? I understand that it should be covered, but aren't the real issues of this campaign health care, the environment, the economy, and the wars?

March 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  3. katie

do you know if there was any warning about this tornado or did it come out of the blue?

March 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  4. djw

Mike you will be more insulted when you find out the truth!!!

March 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Dayna

I thank the Lord that Mr. Wright has retired from the pulpit. I will pray that Obama will not be president of this nation.

March 14, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Martha, Texas

This is why religion and politics don't mix. Let it go.

March 14, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  7. erica hill

Lilibeth, we will have an update for you from Atlanta in just a few minutes. I can tell you I spoke to my neighbor there - about 2 miles from CNN - and she experienced some "wild hail" and lost power. No tornadoes in our neighborhood, but definite wind and she told me it is eerily quiet...

March 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Patricia

Religion divides .

March 14, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  9. dwight

Thank you Roland! You have REALLY done a great job tonight.

March 14, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  10. Naadede

This year has just proved how race, gender and religion are still a big issue in America.

March 14, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  11. Kathy

sraghavan, can't remember the last time I signed in when I went to church.

March 14, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  12. Lisa - Chicago

Anderson – you say if you drop these "sensational" stories that other journalists or media will continue to bring them up. Well, why don't you be the first to stop, maybe the others will follow. It has to stop with someone and why not you. We know Fox won't stop, but who pays attention to them these days. Maybe we can get MSNBC to follow suit since they make the same argument as you do – the everyone else is doing it excuse.

Please, issues, politics, not this nit-picking.

March 14, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Sandy in Blacksburg, VA

Just because a person is a MEMBER of a church does NOT mean they ATTEND church on a regular basis.! So, they wouldn't know what the pastor is saying every Sunday.

Also, even if a person DOES attend church every Sunday, this does NOT mean that they pay attention to what the pastor is saying! We tune them out.

Dig into the church Hillary goes to. What has HER pastor said over the last 20 years? Or, maybe she's not a member of a church? Hmmmm..."Hillary The Heathen" now there's a story for you!

March 14, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  14. Fedup Citizen

No Anderson...This new controversy has not changed my opinion of Barack...

March 14, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  15. Greg

So, my ancestors were enslaved by the Egyptians, does that mean I love Egypt more.
    Gergen and Martin are trying very hard to cover Obama's butt.
    Not buying it!

March 14, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  16. Kepps

Anderson, your rightwing tendencies are starting to show. How condescending of you to make that asinine comment about singing God Bless America. I can't wait to see how you whitewash the recorded statements of McCain supporters Hagee and Parsley. If you even allude to them. Of course, their hatefulness is part of the right wing mantra, so its hands off from the MSM.

March 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Patrick - Seattle, WA

I will say this, at least we're off the "Obama is a muslim" story...

March 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Penny, British Columbia, Canada

My feelings for Obama have definitely changed.
    I really think the people of United States have an obligation to research Senator Obama and what he believes before they give him an office to lead all the people in the country.

March 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  19. Billi

Robert.....issues are important but remember that Senator Obama agrees that judgment matters – he has said that.

March 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  20. Linda Burnett, New Brunswick, Canada

Watch Obama's side make this be all Hillary's fault...or they could blame Canada...anything but take responsibility.

March 14, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  21. sraghavan

AC, does the church that Obama attended have registration for attendance that can be used to corroborate Senator Obama's claims and can CNN verify Senator Obama's claim that he never heard it personally?

March 14, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  22. McCain supporter

Now we see where he learned his "oratory skills"!

March 14, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Desiree

Sam, sorry to inform you, but this has been out for a year and hannity started investigating it.

March 14, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Robert

Anderson Cooper I am so dissapointed in this attempt to undermind the integrety of Sen Obama because of the statements made by Rev. Wright. There have been many times I have sat in church in disagreement about what I heard by a pastor. It does not mean that I am governed by everything I hear. I am intelligent enough to to discern what I can use and what I can disregard in my life. Not all peolple are influenced by the same message. Pleases discuss what is important to the american poeple like the economy.

March 14, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  25. Linda DiPaola

I feel lucky to be a part of such a historical presidential campaign, and am still undecided as to who I will vote for, but Mr. Obama's pastor's words are disturbing. The pastor must know that Mr. Obama is half caucasian, and wasn't the single parent that brought him up his white mother?

March 14, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  26. Rachelle

I think we should stay on the issues that are effecting our country today and not continue to get distracted by racial rhetoric.
    I agree with the gentleman on your panel that stated we have to realize that African Americans and Whites view and think differently based on American experiences. Yet , we are all Americans and respect our country.

March 14, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Linda Burnett, New Brunswick, Canada

Interesting that Obama's church just happens to be switching pastors right now...I wonder if the pastor was given an incentive...a generous retirement gift to encourage his retirement...

March 14, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  28. Ambereen

I do not at all endorse the racist dialogue promulgated by Wright. However, I do not believe that we should not interrogate the damaging policies of the United States. I would never say G-D America, but I would say that we should not wear blinders about what this country has done in the past.

March 14, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Rodney T.

anderson why isn't cnn bringing to the forefront John Mccain embracing John Hagee endorsement ? That's not news or information that your viewers need to hear?

March 14, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Lilibeth

Anderson, please keep us posted on the possible tornado in Atlanta. We're concerned with the people there. Please let us know how we can help.

March 14, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Lynn

Great interview. This IS about the issues, because if you want any of the country's issues resolved, we need a candidate who can beat McCain in November. It is no longer possible for Obama to do that. When the 527s roll out their ads showing rescuers at Ground zero on September 16, 2001 still trying to save the victims of the attacks and Rev Wright AT THE SAME TIME saying 9/11 was America's "chickens come home to roost," Obama won't win a single swing state.

March 14, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  32. alba

Anderson,

Obama must be the only church goer who does not know what his preacher preaches. With this sort of attention to main themes I dont think he should run for office.

March 14, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Barbara

This is a lynching...
    I can't believe some of the comments here.

This Reverend comes out of the black experience, the civil rights movement, and the politics of the past...

This is part of the experience of black America....which until really quite recently has been pretty terrible.

I know that if you took clips from my Unitarian Minister, over the last 20 years, you could come up with thing that sound bad...because he, too has talked about social problems.

A lot of this is what you might hear at many black churches...and if Reverend Wright was always like this, he would not be respected in this country as he is. The United Church of Christ is a National Church, black and white.

What makes this harder for white Americans is the style of delivery..something they are not used to hearing.

I am a white woman, someone who would probably be though to be firmly in the Hillary demographic...and I reject this tarring of this Church, and especially of one of the finest men in American politics,
    Barack Obama.