March 13th, 2008

Ferraro: A missed opportunity?

Geraldine Ferraro’s insensitive contention that Barack Obama got where he is because he’s a black man has finally forced her resignation as a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton’s campaign.  Her resignation came after she repeated her comments anyone who would listen, and after Hillary herself refused to condemn her words and fire her.

ALT TEXT

Leslie Sanchez book- Los Republicanos: Why Hispanics and Republicans need each other

There’s no question that the Clintons have been recklessly playing the race card since before the South Carolina Primary, and I’ll be surprised if we don’t find out someday that Ferraro’s remarks were the result of a deliberate strategy by Team Billary.  (See former Clinton operative Dick Morris' post on this.)

Using surrogates to deliver provocative charges is a long-standing technique for the Clintons; those of us who are veterans of national campaigns during the 1990s have seen the Clintons use this gambit dozens of times.

What’s really surprising is that Republicans have missed a golden opportunity to strike back with an observation of our own – that regardless of how Obama got where he is, there’s no doubt at all that Hillary would never have gotten where she is had she not been married to (and stayed with) Bill.

As long as Geraldine Ferraro has opened the topic of destinies, I suspect that were it weren’t for marrying Bill Clinton, Hillary would be one more bitter member of a County Bar Association somewhere.

Since before Geraldine Ferrraro’s gender put her on the Democrat ticket in 1984, Democrats have had an unhealthy focus on what their candidates are – where they fall on their imaginary victimization grid of gender, ethnicity, and race.  The increasingly ugly and bitter race between Clinton and Obama has brought to a head the central issue in Democratic politics:  It matters little who you are, or what you’ve done. What really counts is whether my oppression as a woman, or as a Latina, trumps your oppression as an African-American.

It’s why the Democrat Party today is at war with itself on the issues of race and gender.

Thanks, but no thanks.  I’ll put my money on the one candidate who, refreshingly, talks not about what he is, but who he is and what he’s done – a real career of public service, grounded in years of imprisonment for his country under circumstances the rest of us can’t even imagine.

– Leslie Sanchez, Impacto Group LLC

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Leslie Sanchez • Raw Politics
  1. Terri

No offense against you per say. But I am sick and tired of you all talking the race game/card. If you all would stick to the issues, there would not be an issue of race. When out and about, no one else is talking about race. Everyone is interested in what the candidates have to say regarding the issues at hand. CNN has put the pressure out there regarding race. I have watched you all for the last three weeks; around the clock. And thank GOD, I am not easily persuaded by the comments and stories. But you all do put it out there and make other folks question these candidtates. That's not fair. Focus more on the issues not race.

March 13, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  2. Adriana

I am shocked at the comments made by Senator Obama's pastor. A man he refers to as a mentor and spiritual leader...The Obama camp was quick to jump on Geraldine Ferraro's comments, calling her racist. Yet, when questioned about his pastor's RACIST comments...comments like "...a world led by rich white men"...Obama once again sidesteps the discussion by simply trying to distance himself. If you don't agree with the comments made by your pastor, then why continue to remain loyal to a church that looks to divide rather than unify for 20 years. If Geraldine Ferraro is being held to the fire, I think the same should be expected of the Obama campaign!

March 13, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  3. dale

thank -you anderson and staff for your balanced view of silly issues. you are right it should be the issues. don't fall for fox news baiting stories.this is why i support barack he has stuck to the issues withou firing back. case in point resko vs. whitewater. again thank you for balance

March 13, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  4. JaredL

I am so glad finally someone got the guts to speak the truth (Ferraro). Everyone is so afraid to be labeled "racist" if you don't agee that what the country needs now is not a preacher but a leader!!

March 13, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  5. Josie

This blogsite asks readers to not make 500 word essays on their choice of candidate, but I have to put up racist and sexist rants like this and others? I am tired of having to excuse my skin color and even my gender to someone who has NO idea of what it's like to wear both my burdens–and yes it IS a burden. Sterotypes serve no one and no purpose except to divide and conquer, which seems to be any underlying point of attacking Geraldine Ferrarro based on kneejerk reaction, without ever seemingly thought to analyze what prompted her to say her comments in the first place. But that's how woman ARE treated in this country, especially white women. We have lost our right to speak our say, we are riduculed for having any say at all that doesn't justify empowering some other group.

March 13, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  6. JaredL

I can't believe that the only comments that you are approving for posting are the ones that benefit Obama.

You should be ashamed!

March 13, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  7. Jaime

Anderson, what's interesting about Ferraros' comments is that, even though we know she isn't racist, and her words have been spun by the media, you sit back and decide to NOT address the anti-gay slurs made by Representative Sally Kern who supposes that homosexuals are more of a threat to this country then terrorists and yet, you don't address these comments, when it's some of the most incendiary news at the moment.

What gives?

March 13, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  8. John Garner

What would happen if Gore stepped in as VP for Obama ? Can you imagine the kind of change that would hit Washington. Too much to soon? Maybe but I bet we would all have air to breath come 2020

March 13, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  9. Veronica in California

Ferraro was correct. If Obama were a White 46 year old Senator with one year in the Senate before running for President, he wouldn't have received the time of day, let alone 90% of the Black vote.

Get real.

March 13, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  10. barb

I'm amazed that this woman is still justifying her ridiculous comments about Senator Obama. I think it must be jealousy, or just a ploy for attention. Its insulting to Americans of all color who have voted for Senator Obama to suggest that we are all so senseless as to only support him because he's BLACK! How ludicrious! Now I can see why Mondale was defeated with her on the ticket. I think somehow the universe knew way back then she was bitter, jealous, divisive, and all about her, but then again she sounds just like someone else we all know and ....

March 13, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  11. Ed K.

The media started the race factor in SC and it worked so well Obama's gang has been using it to date. Everyone knows Ferraro hit the nail on the head but people like you twist it to conform to your sad views.

March 13, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  12. JudyL

Gawd luvher for speaking her truth! I agree completely! Neither she nor Sen. Obama have the experience to 'put' them on the ticket! She calls 'an ace, an ace; and a spade, a spade'! With thankfully, no regard for gender or race!
    In these, so called 'politicaly correct' times; she calls 'em, likes she see's 'em!

Thank you, Ms Ferraro!

March 13, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Annie Kate

Leslie,

Despite the fact you are a political analyst, you identify yourself in the last paragraph as a McCain supporter. Would McCain sanction what you have said in your article or would he have to distance himself from it?

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

March 13, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  14. Harriet

The media is PRO HILLARY and PRO Mccain. I believe Hillary made a deal with the media.

March 13, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  15. Rosa ( Charlotte NC)

I am a Born Again, Washed In the Blood, Evangelical Christian.
    I have a Muslim last name and so does my daughter because I was once married to a guy from the Middle East. I belong to a COGIC church and I love my pastor but I do not agree with everything he says especially as it relates to the position of men and women in the church or society. I am my own person...I read the Bible and I know it for myself. ...almost all of the 60 or so books.

Barack Obama has a great name and the Clinton's wish to destroy his name so they can destroy him politically. Unfortunately, CNN has carried Hillary Clinton's voice and made this election about race and religion. "Shame on you Hillary Clinton" Let's get back to the issues

March 13, 2008 at 10:12 pm |