March 11th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/11/08

Anderson will be joined in the Election Center tonight by the best political team on television to talk about Mississippi primary results.

We'll also look at the Eliot Spitzer story.  New details about his alleged meetings with prostitutes emerged today, but New York's Governor has still not resigned his office.

Tuesday night bonus: Two live hours of 360°. And two hours of the live blog. We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and go through midnight ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Well, I watched the whole two hours..I guess I'll say goodnight.

March 11, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  2. donna

Good night Anderson even if you did not post my comments. Thank you.

March 11, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  3. Michael McHenry Columbia, Pa.

Is it me or is there an awful lot of opinions from Canadians on our Presidential candidates?

To our friendly neighbors to the north, why the interest?

March 11, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  4. Dennis

Dosent anyone think it's time for the Super Delagets to start showing some "STONES" and get off the fence and start backing one or the other.
    I can't stand that thay are so afraid to be on the losing side what are thay so afraid of at some point in life you have to stand up for somthing and let the chips fall where they may.

March 11, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  5. margie virginia beach virginia

10 minutes and counting- I am always sad to see the blog end... It is a great show of americans debating issues, some with great facts and I learn something new, some with open hearts and I learn appreciation of other opinions, even If I dont support them and some well some are just down right maniacal, funny but maniacal.

March 11, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  6. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

@ Cristina, had Spitzer had an extra marital affair with a woman and 360 had focused so much on the issue than yes it might have been gossip. But Spitzer paid for sex from a prostitute and engaged in an illegal act. It is news and the moment he exchanged cash for sex, it became a non-private issue because if he goes to court the tax payers are the ones who pay for it.

March 11, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  7. Jennifer - Michigan

Anderson,
    Have a good night. I really enjoyed your witty humor tonight. See you later.

March 11, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  8. anderson cooper

Nick – youre right.. i need some new ties..

March 11, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  9. Cari

Everyone is talking about Obama being ahead in delegates. Let's not forget that if the order of the state primary's were different, Senator Clinton might be ahead in delegates at this point. Doesn't anyone take the order of the elections into consideration? Senator Clinton should follow this through to the end because of this factor, not to mention that she most likely had one in Florida and Michigan.

March 11, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  10. Robert

Why does not the Obama campaign hire David Gergen TONIGHT as strategist? He clearly has the record, but more importantly he has creative insight, which you can't buy.

March 11, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  11. turner

This is another case of a high profile public figure using power and other people money to lure woman with low self worth, including the wife. she is not shocked at all like hillary was not shocked. THE TRUTH was revealed and confirmed but the cycle of this kind of domestic violence is not documented in court as a violation, it's excused as a accident or bad judgement. it is way deeper than that and we all know it. hopefully, she can build her self esteem and worth. watching her body language i saw public degregation, humilation and disrespect. until this category of domestic abuse is confronted and not excused as adult consenting activity. the cycle will countinue.if this was the the other way around mr. its nobody business. would a man stand next to his powerful wife and be disrespected and if he did: It would be ?'s.

March 11, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  12. Nick Johnson

Anderson–did you tie a double windsor tonight? A good change from your usual traditional garb. Now we just need to buy some new ties! Lookin good.

March 11, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  13. Susan Adams

Will someone please ask the pundits... if Barack Obama was in 2nd place, would there be calls by the Democratic party for him to step down for the good of the party? If the answer is yes, then why aren't party leaders asking Hillary Clinton to step down when it is next to impossible for her to win the most delegates!

March 11, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  14. Tom

In Europe this Elliot Spitzer stuff wouldn't even raise an eyebrow. They would never dream of getting rid of a politician for this. They have a much more sophisticated outlook about sex than we do in our country with its Puritan background..

March 11, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  15. Alys- ON, Canada

Enough of the Spitzer coverage...I know you have to cover it, but I personally don't think you should devote so much of the program to it. Move on to other news!! 🙂

March 11, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  16. Duak

I want to ask. Please who got the highest number of delegates out of texas? Was it Clinton or Obama?
    Who ever got the higher number of delegates out of there should be the winner. I thought it was Hillary.

March 11, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  17. Erin Hope

question: where has anderson been tonight? i don't mean on the show... where has he been on the blog???
    Anderson: We miss you! Come speak to us! lol

March 11, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  18. rebecca, ohio

lauren, calling someone a monster and making a racist remark are two totally different things. to say making racist remarks isn't a big deal but "just a part of politics" is highly disturbing and offensive to me.

March 11, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  19. Eric Crawford

One last thought on this black vs. white issue. I am from Iowa and a fairly popluous part of Iowa. When i caucused the only African-Americans I saw were in the Clinton camp. How many states do I have to name where the poplulation is primarily white. Look at the board: Iowa, WI, MN, ND, VT, etc, etc, etc.

March 11, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  20. Michael McHenry Columbia, Pa.

I wonder if I broke a federal law like export 'Kristen" to my state and paid for her services for a couple hours, then got caught, would I be allowed to make any statements to the press and simply walk home with my family?
    Or would I be carted off to holding and be prosecuted?

Who cares about how he feels first of all, and unfortunately we all feel bad for the wife, but what is the statute on being able to just walk home after breaking a federal law?

No matter how you mix it, because of who he is and his money, he gets special treatment and essentially is "above the law"

March 11, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  21. Cristina Simas

Anderson:
    As i'm watching your show tonight i just can't believe you're giving so much attention to the "Spitzer scandal". 360 should be about news and not about the private life of politicians. Who cares who he sleeps with. Does that make him a better or worse politician? That is something that his family should be coping with, not the rest of America.
    I love what you do and the way you cover the news but not this kind of gossip. This should be the job for Entertainment Tonight or TMZ.

March 11, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Tom; You might want to ask Silda Spitzer if she agrees with you; I am sure she cares and so do the people who elected him to public office based on his high moral standards.

March 11, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  23. CU

Anderson, I know that the exit polls for Hillary Clinton voters by 60% said they would not vote for Obama in Texas, but just remember that the numbers also included those Republicans that are trying to change the election and vote for Clinton per Rush Limbaugh.

March 11, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  24. flo beals,louisiana

I think women should stand by their men and do whatever they want unless they plan on running for president of their country. This shows me how weak Mrs. clinton really is.

March 11, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  25. Barb

Why aren't you mentioning the huge lead in the polls that Clinton has? Pennsylvania is her's to lose.

Somehow when Obama wins....it is dismissed when you say oh well he was expected to win.

Hillary is expected to win Penn. just as she was expected to win Ohio and Texas. Texas could hardly be considered a win for her when she won the primary by such a close margin and significantly lost the caucus.

So much was made of the slim margin of delegates won by Obama in Wyoming, but nothing was said of the slim margin of delegates in the Texas primary.

Let's treat them the same when talking. Up 12 points means her state to lose. Please if she wins point out that it was expected.

March 11, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  26. FredNY

Oh...don't forget...Ferraro is a Super Delegate...right?

March 11, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  27. EJ - Ohio

"What about when someone in Obama’s campagin called Clinton a monster? They both have had people in their camps say not so nice things about the other."

Yes, but she was fired!! What else could Obama's campaign do other than fire her?

March 11, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  28. Lisette

Geraldine Ferraro is way off base, totally reprehensible
    Does she know that Hillary wouldn't even be a candidate, without being married to Bill.

March 11, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  29. Mary

What Spitzer did was morally wrong and unforgivable on a personal level but what is worse is his hypocrisy. I believe that he should definitely step down. He will no longer be able to administer to the state effectively as people will not trust him or respect him and will not accept his decisions. He has lost his ability to govern.

March 11, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  30. Alexander, SD

Kathy,

I agree with you 100%. Great comment.

March 11, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  31. FredNY

Michael....let me get this straight...so if he doesn't answer a question to your satisfaction it's ok for the Clintons to use these sort of sleezy tactics?
    Give me a break!

March 11, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  32. Daniel

If superdelegates like Spitzer are the ones that are going to decide the voice of the people in the democrats election then we are in trouble. I think pledged delegates should just rule the outcome. I am hoping they have better judgment than Spitzer.

March 11, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  33. Pam

Dayna Thomas

I agree with you all the way!!

March 11, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  34. Robert

Obama supporters cannot understand why the rest of the country hasn't gotten behind their client; Clinton supporters do understand why the rest of the country hasn't gotten behind theirs.

March 11, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  35. Janet

Although Ferarro's remarks should not have been made, they were far from racial. It was her opinion, and we live in the United States of America, and we are entitled to do so. You don't have to agree.

March 11, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  36. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

David Gergen is always a breath of fresh air in a stale room of arguments. I always like to hear his input.

March 11, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  37. Doug

Funny, how Clinton will fire anyone one her campaign when she is losing. Yet not fire someone who has made irresponsible remarks about Obama. They say you can tell how a canidate will run the White House by how they run their campaign. We should be very cautious, about Clinton.

March 11, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  38. Roger

Remember 2000, as long as we have a electorial college the largest states will be the focus

March 11, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  39. FredNY

I live in Albany and everyone I've talked to say Spitzer should hit the road!

March 11, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  40. Dana

Senator Clinton has done nothing negative. She has questioned his positions on issues and his lack of a plan for America. He speaks of uniting America and the future but a future with no plan or solutions attached. He speaks of the status quo, but he is the status quo. He is a Senator. He speaks of his being against the war but he was not a Senator in 2002 so he was not a Senator and did not even have a vote on the war. That is all she is doing. Keeping him honest so to speak, right Anderson.

March 11, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  41. chico

Sen Clinton said she didn't approve of comments but how about a resignation as she demanded of Ms Power.

March 11, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  42. Michael, NC

STOOMZEE
    Honestly, I do agree with that aspect. I saw this same argument earlier today. That was pretty stupid on her part. But in all actuality, you know he has not given any hard evidence on how he can bring any change for our nation. That is the basis of many of her attacks.

March 11, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  43. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

I don't understand how anyone could say "who care about what Elliot Spitzer did". He engaged in an illegal behavior while he was in an elected position. He lied and tried to conceal his actions from not only his wife and kids but the state of New York and the world...if he can lie to his family about sex than he could and potentially would lie about anything to the people he has been put in office to represent...that is why it's a big deal.

March 11, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  44. Lauren

Over 500 comments! Is that a record for the live blog?

March 11, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  45. julie, ca

Anderson,
    Please take Lanny off your show! He's most annoying!
    Also, on Larry King the other night was a woman talking about Obama going to the back of the bus! How offensive!

March 11, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  46. JLB

Thank you, C.R. for setting the record straight about the sex trade. Anderson and producers of 360, please do not bring Alan Dershowitz back. He has shown himself to have no understanding of the meaning of prostitution or the significance of Spitzer's conduct. He is a knee-jerk criminal defense attorney, which is fine, but he should not be given a platform for his offensive remarks to women.

March 11, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  47. Maggie C

I have a comment about Geraldine's comments on Obama. First, I didn't see it as racist, but as a comment about race, and I agree with her.

Do you think Oprah would have endorsed her "first ever" candidate if he had been white? Would Hillary's loyal followers have swung to the Obama side, or the pledged delegates move their pledge, if he had been white?

Maggie

March 11, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  48. Sabrina in Los Angeles

We need to figure out how to either re-do the votes from Florida and Michigan or they need to be dropped.

They can't be seated as is....Michigan was only her on the ballot, that is not a democracy, that is a tyranny!

And 1/2 of the population in Florida didn't vote so you ARE dis-enfranchising them by taking it as is.

I am really starting to dislike Hilary the longer I get to know her platform and if she gets the nod....I will vote McCain or not vote!

March 11, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  49. David in Seattle

I think Lisa is right. If she really supports him; great lady, if she doesn't; great lady.

By the way, the military and other government officials can lose their security clearances because they are vulnerable to pressure to hide their secret life. Is there any "favor" or extortion pressure Gov. Spitzer had to hide previous to this? An affair is different, there is nothing illegal to it, but this is something Spitzer asked for and not a ""Hey guys, lets go out and get Spitzer!" because he is a Democrat, Allan D.

Come on, get serious, your whining is annoying. It is not the cops fault, they should not be investigated because someone ACTUALLY got caught. I LIKE when the bad guy gets caught. (My taxes pay for it) I root for the cops, not defence lawyers that try to blur the lines, exuse criminals, and blame victims and cops. Remember, he is Client 9. Who were the first 8, and others?

March 11, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  50. Lauren

What about when someone in Obama’s campagin called Clinton a monster? They both have had people in their camps say not so nice things about the other. Obama need to realize this is all part of politics. If he hasn’t figured that out by now then he really is inexperienced.

March 11, 2008 at 11:43 pm |