March 11th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/11/08

Anderson will be joined in the Election Center tonight by the best political team on television to talk about Mississippi primary results.

We'll also look at the Eliot Spitzer story.  New details about his alleged meetings with prostitutes emerged today, but New York's Governor has still not resigned his office.

Tuesday night bonus: Two live hours of 360°. And two hours of the live blog. We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and go through midnight ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. ceebA

What's wrong with Mrs. Clinton? She seems hungry for power. I am so let down by her attitude. And I admire and respect Barack for running a better campaign so far. My husband has a suggestion: fter the Eliot Spitzer thing, hrc can change her campaign motto to: Vote for me because see what happens when we put men in power(e.g. Bill Clinton, Eliot Spitzer, JFK, Larry Craig etc etc.). Vote for me and I can guratee you will have a spotless (sexless) president for the next 4 yrs..LOL

ceebA Los Angeles

March 11, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  2. Gary

Spitzer, Lets wake up to the reality of whats going on here, Elliot Spitzer is involved in activity that has placed him in a compromising position. What if Mr. Spitzer was trapped not by the government but instead by the Mob. Would Mr. Dershowitz still think it is about personal life when they start securing contracts for work around New York State? Mr Spitzer is involved in acts of moral terpitude and needs to step down.

March 11, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  3. Tye Watts

Spitzer and hookers- can I be the only one thinking about the STDs he may have taken home to his wife?
    If he donates blood- how does he answer the sexual contact questions?

March 11, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  4. wu

I think we all are making judgements to soon. Most powerful men have wives that compliment their ego. Maybe his wife is aware of his preferences and perfers him to practive on perfessional women. Surely, Hillary was not willing to lose any ground political or other wise for Bill's poo-pah's. Power is just as intoxicating for some women as it is men.

This is not to say that his wife is not embarassed – but it is also not to say that it will end her life.

I think the country may be more worried then they are.

March 11, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  5. STOOMZEE

Michael, NC –
    If you think that is the case can you explain why Hillary Clinton says Barack Obama is not ready to be Commander-in-Chief – but she thinks he will make a good vice president. Does she not realize that the VP needs to be ready on day one?

March 11, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  6. Michael, NC

Now THAT is a bomb shell Michelle. I had the same thing happen to a aunt of mine, except a lot of people kind of expected it. Still hurt her family though.

March 11, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  7. Dan E., Columbia, SC

Geraldine Ferarro ought to resign from Hillary's campain for her racial remarks about Obama. If not, Hilary ought to fire her. After all, Hillary stated she would do so to anyone who got out of line on her campaign. If this were done to Hillary she would be crying foul like a whining little baby like she did over Obama receiving favorable media attention. Now, she continues to say one thing and do another. Hillary...you are busted!

March 11, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  8. Carla Ontario Canada

Why haven't they released the names of clients #1 thru 8. Are they not just as guilty as Spitzer.

March 11, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  9. Koffi

Most of the wives I have seen when their husbands have been caught with their hands in the "cookie jar" looked numbed and unable to feel their pain. I admire women who can "stand by their man" in these difficult situations. They are more of a woman than I am, I simply could not stand.

March 11, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  10. Tom

I am disillusioned with the American hang ups about sex. Who cares what Elliot Spitzer did? It's his business and the government should stay out of it. The whole thing sounds politically motivated and fishy.

March 11, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  11. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

Some of the women on the blog are talking about how Lisa is trying to make a generalization about how all women should behave in a situation like this, however I have to disagree to an extent. I think that while it is ultimately the woman's choice as to whether or not she should stand by her man, and we cannot judge Mrs. Spitzer either way, that it is difficult to say that any woman, who has been in a relationship where children are involved, could stand next to her husband willingly after he paid for sex! And to make things worse, the whole world now is aware of what he has done. It will be interesting to see what happens in their relationship in the future. But ultimately the decision is hers to make and she should not be condemned for it

March 11, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  12. Michelle

I know what Spitzer's wife is going through right now. I just found out 3 days ago that my husband has been having an affair for the last 2 years with a MAN.

I can definitely say I feel for his wife. How she can stand there with him I have no idea. Who cares what he does for a living. How about his wife and kids, who HE BETRAYED! We're all talking about "poor Elliot". PLEASE! I hope he pays dearly for everything he has done. What a hipocrit!

March 11, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  13. Nicole

YES MARCY!! Thank you! can someone please tell Sen. Clinton that a slap on Geraldine's wrist is not good enough. It is painful to see Obama abused like this. Hillary is a typical politician and will do anything or sacrifice anyone just to get others thinking...

March 11, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  14. margie virginia beach virginia

-ryan
    Way to go with your comment..so true....Hold him accountable for his actions to the public....not to his family they will in their private home and it should be private hold their husband and father accountable- as it should be.....

March 11, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  15. william in richmond

Kay, What are you talking about? One of his books is about life as an African-American, and the struggles he has encountered being such. So now, he is not the African-American candidate? Have you heard him deny he is? The media is always stating it that way. So if he is not , then why not correct the media?

March 11, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  16. Daniel

Alen Dershowitz – I agree with you when you landed that verbal punch to that witch Lisa Bloom. She has no right to talk about Spitzer's wife. That is out of line. I however disagree with your opinion that he should not resign. How could you trust someone to lead when they are untrustworthy to their family. If he was a single man, that is fine...he can do whatever he want. But, you have a covenant in marriage to be trustworthy and he broke that with his wife and daughters. He should have known that it will destroy his own children but disregarded the most important people in his life because of his act. How could I trust someone to care for you if they can't think right and take care of their family. That is the dilemma for why I think he should resign.

March 11, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, Ohio

Intellect and emotion may run on "two different tracks" but sooner or later those tracks meet and judgment has to be exercised and a choice has to be made. No excuses.

March 11, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  18. Heather

Anderson I love how you say hookers not prostitutes. Hes a arrogant driven multitasker. $80,000 is a lot of sex! Its alot of money! I really miss the two hour show!

March 11, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  19. Tom in New York

kudos to you sophie i agree. She not only wasnt thinking clearly because everything in her life has been shaken up. Also, she is a very smart lady, I have worked with her and she knows what is best for her children and her state

March 11, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  20. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Race, age or gender...Maybe someday soon we can nix the cookie cutter labels. Wouldn't that be the day.

March 11, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  21. Doug Grossinger

Anderson Cooper saying "SLASH MUNCHIES" regarding Maryanne of Gilligan's Island is the FUNNIEST thing to be said in this millenium.

I have never typed an e-mail to a television network but that joke/comment was brilliant. It showed great comedic tinming and a hipness that has never traditionally been ascribed to a news anchor. (Someone should make up tee shirts with slash munchies.)

Touche. Thanks, keep up the good work.

March 11, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  22. David

Hey Anderson. Alot of focus on a "little" state? What does that mean? More bias for Obama? Play it down? Pennsylvania is ranked sixth in the nation in terms of population. Wyoming (50th) and Mississippi (32nd). No so little...it's a BIG state! Go HILLARY!!!

March 11, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  23. margie virginia beach virginia

Wayne-
    I agree with your comment. Most whites across America are not racist and do not fall into the same category as the polls from Mississippi.

March 11, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  24. Kate FL

Hi Molly, during 10pm hour all of that was discussed just as the moderator said but I do feel dissapointed that the whole two hours has not been dedicated to Obama's win like they did for Hillary for Ohio and half of Texas...why is no one talking about Obama winning Texas caucus winning more delegates than Clinton.... I am a bit troubled if the Miss win for Obama is played down by the media because it only makes me feel like if big states are all that matters....

March 11, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  25. Michael, NC

While Clinton does attack Obama quite often, she does have reason. He is so vague and has left all of his voters hanging on the thin threads of "hope" and "change". Thin threads don't make a strong web, and his lack of informative campaigning has left him vulnerable to attacks.

March 11, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  26. Ryan

I don't believe Spitzer should have to step down because he cheated on his wife with a prostitute. That is something that is in his personal life. Sure he should get a misdemeanor for the crime though. He should resign if he was laundering that money.

In my opinion you cannot cheat on your citizens by sleeping with a women. You can however cheat your citizens by deciding where their money is spent. So that is why I would be more worried about the money aspect.

March 11, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  27. Janet

I have a question for everyone that thinks this is a negative presidential campaign.
    How many elections in your adult life have you been involved in and watched?
    This is by far the most tame and polite election I have been in and voted in since the 70's. It's almost too polite. They are afraid to bring up issues.
    ANDERSON OR ERICA- do you think this is a tame race?

March 11, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  28. Tom in New York

client 9 is personal while spitzer is pro-active for the state of New York.

March 11, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  29. Sandy

Jamal is the best – I watch CNN from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed at night. Jamal has made some great observations about the race between Hillary and Senator Obama and he is always introduced as an Obama supporter and his counterpart is introduced as a Hillary supporter. CNN is not hiding anything.

March 11, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  30. Mary

I agree with Martha. I am a women and I have a great deal of respect for myself but I do not need some loud mouthed opinionated female (Lisa) to tell me how I should behave. I do not agree with what Spitzer did and as Anderson said. it is sad. However there are many other factors that come into play and until you have walked in their shoes you have no right to condemn the actions of the wives of these men.

March 11, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  31. STOOMZEE

If you just turn on the news you'll see that Senator Clinton continues to run an expensive, negative campaign against Barack Obama. Each day her campaign launches a new set of desperate attacks.

March 11, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  32. Sophie

What I think is pathetic is that people are criticizing Mrs. Spitzer. Shame on you ! I'm sure she's not thinking too clearly right now.......

March 11, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  33. Frederic

Funny, How Alan D. mentioned all the disgraced politicians that he'd represent but left out Marion Barry. The government reportly spent in
    excess of $40 million on investigating him. Eliot is a hypocrite and got what he deserved. This is not about politics it's about right and wrong?

March 11, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  34. Sharon - Cheyenne, WY

What is the world coming to? Everyone knows that Democrats have affairs and it's Republicans who hire prostitutes. Is there nothing we can believe in anymore?

March 11, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  35. Stephanie Copeland

At one time I admired Dershowitz. He is tonight showing us his true colors. Spitzer's wife should get show some backbone and demonstrate to her daughters that women no longer have to take this kind of treatment. She should go after a big chunk of his assets, then find a man worth standing by. This is not the Middle Ages. Dershowitz–you need to retire.

March 11, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  36. Mike Lattimore

I think Bloom does a disservice to her gender. The spouse of a politician who has to publicly admit to his/her transgression isn’t FORCED to stand by the spouse, privately OR publicly.

I don’t see how Bloom thinks her own gender doesn’t have a choice. Yes, there is pressure on the spouse to publicly support the politician, but women are strong enough in this day and age to make up their own minds.

Spitzer’s wife is an ivy league graduate. Does Bloom want us to believe that Mrs. Spitzer is a weak, manipulated woman who can’t make an informed decision for herself?

Bloom should get off the soapbox and stop acting as the indignant victim. She hasn’t earned that right. Should a tragedy of this magnitude happen in her private life and lead to a public outing, she, as any woman in this country, has the right to freely take ANY disposition she chooses in the situation; just as Mrs. Spitzer does.

March 11, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  37. Jennifer - Michigan

That's crazy about Mary Ann from Gillian's Island. Very weird.

March 11, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  38. JJR Georgia

Maryanne is 69??? and got caught with pot? Well I'm sure she didn't inhale.

March 11, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  39. Michael McHenry Columbia, Pa.

Dawn Wells busted for pot? hehehe. Maybe it was all that eating exotic plants for so long on the island sticking with her through the years. I don't understand why she would have made up such a rediculous story to the cops though to try and get out of it.

March 11, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  40. wasim

This client 9 has spent thousands of dollars on helping the prostitution business grow and use those prostitutes for sexual purposes even this disgraceful Man Spitzer is married just like his buddy disgraceful senator Larry craig who was tapping his feet in a bath-room stall and denying, " I aint gay". This is a shame,this governor needs to resign ASAP and needs to go through some serious counseling to save his marriage. What he is going to tell his young daughters,hi girls,i am in love with prostitutes not your mother. This man and others have no morals at all,they are hypocrites. The hypocrisy is every where in the public offices,even our ex-president Clinton lied and had sexual relations with that woman in the oval office,God what is wrong with these men,how we can trust them? God help Us!

March 11, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  41. Adina

When you're a lawyer you are held to a higher standard. If you break the law then can be disbarred. Why shouldn't Spitzer be held to the same standard (he is a lawyer). He is the leader of a state and if it's okay for him to break the law the I guess the rest of us can do it and just call it a "personal issue" not a public one.

March 11, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  42. Jeanette C. Dunn, MD

Lisa Bloom is totally correct about the humiliated wives. A rival network showed footage of the Spitzers return to their New York Apartment yesterday after the "news conference". Silda was clearly a captive exhibit. She left the car and walked into the building 20 yards in front of Spitzer palpably furious. Dershowitz (sp? whatever) should be mothballed. His ad hominem attack on Lisa was gratuitous. For a purported liberal he certainly projects a sexist image.

March 11, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  43. Martha

Finally! For once someone (Alan Dershowitz) expressed what I would have liked to have said to many "women speaking for other women" on these panels: Mind your own business! Let women make their own choices! Don't speak for me.

I wholeheartedly agree with Alan...I first balked at New York's First Lady "standing by her man" but then as I watched her, I respected her grace, dignity, and integrity–all that was devalued by her husband. Her self-respect paralleled with his lack thereof, and her presence was "in your face" to those who have entertained themselves with someone else's spouse. Her daughter's will not think less of her for doing so. I can't imagine any man having the guts to do so.

March 11, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  44. Ryan

First of all it is unfortunate that so many political wives go through situations similar to this. I believe the worst part is that the women are in a way forced to attend these press conferences. They are not physically forced to go and stay in the marriage, but being married to that man is their life. Sure they may have a degree from a notable college or university. However they have been a sidekick to their husband for his entire political career. It would be hard for them to leave the husband and start a new life.

March 11, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  45. Susan

Lisa is 100% right and I applaud your efforts in trying to get our voice heard. We need to start teaching our daughters to value themselves and the meaning of respect.

March 11, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  46. Lauren

Hey Erica, what are your thoughts? Would you stand by your man if he was in Spitzer's situation? Just wanted another opinion.

March 11, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  47. Michael in Lafayette, IN

59% for Senator Obama to 39% for Senator Clinton with 92% of the votes in. I expected an Obama victory, but not by that much.

March 11, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  48. Chris P.

While I believe Dershowitz is right that we should be able to get over this and leave Spitzer and his family alone, we're not going to get there as a country anytime soon so that is very wishful thinking. To us as Americans, this is a moral issue – especially when the immoral act is committed by someone in public office. We DO hold our public officials to higher standards – and you as a public official know that when you accept the office and thus you must also accept the consequences for bad behavior. However, I believe Dershowitz attempting to argue that Spitzer's wife had "free choice" in the matter is just absolute rubbish. Lisa is right – no public official's wife that's been caught like this has ever been able to make the choice to do differently than what they do, at least not at the time the incident goes public. It is EXPECTED of the wives that they do this and the pressure is immense. Is it possible for these wives to not cave to this pressure? Maybe... but it's just not very likely. They are trapped because of their public profile and the pressure is just too overwhelming for anyone to choose anything other than what's expected.

March 11, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  49. Stephy, Groton CT

Stewart, Libby, Paris Hilton?

Same sentence....

am I the only one to take time and analyze this sentence?

bizarre? coincidental? ironic? humorous?

can't define...

March 11, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  50. Lilibeth

Whatever you think of Alan D., I would have loved to be a student of his!

March 11, 2008 at 11:23 pm |