March 11th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/11/08

Anderson will be joined in the Election Center tonight by the best political team on television to talk about Mississippi primary results.

We'll also look at the Eliot Spitzer story.  New details about his alleged meetings with prostitutes emerged today, but New York's Governor has still not resigned his office.

Tuesday night bonus: Two live hours of 360°. And two hours of the live blog. We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and go through midnight ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. AndrewJay, Oakland CA

Jackstrider is right. The DNC is taking heat from HRC for Michigan and Fla when it's really the Republican state legislators who screwed the voters. I say make the GOP pay for the redo. Why should the Dems have to fix their sabotage? At least CNN should be sure the voters know who foisted this situation on them. I haven't heard this exposed at all on any show.

March 11, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  2. Canadian girl- Ontario, Canada

That Dersh dude is so obnoxious and rude.

March 11, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  3. Kay

william monroe, sen. obama is not running as a "black candidate" we are attaching that to him.

March 11, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  4. Janira

The truth is that as much as I try not to judge Mrs. Spitzer, I think Mrs. Spitzer looked so pathetic "standing by her man" after he disgraced her, her family, and the governorship.

I agree with Lisa Bloom that Mrs. Spitzer was a horrible role model for her children and women across the nation when she decided to "stand by her man" in public as he made his pathetic apology...FYI, I am female.

March 11, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  5. Lauren

If my husban ever cheated on my I would kick him to the curb. Especially if their were children involved. If I had a son I would not want my husband setting then example that he could do whatever he wants and not get in trouble for it. And if I had a daughter I would want to show her she can make her own decisions and doesn’t have to settle for being married to a man who doesn’t respect her.

March 11, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  6. Garfield

I do believe what Ferraro said was inappropriate, demeaning and she should be sacked for her comments. No disrespect to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton but they were black and they did not get the attention and support that Senator Obama has received when they were running for president. So to imply that Senator Obama is where he is because off his colour is quite ignorant. I think Seantor Clinton should have had stronger words for Ferraro.

March 11, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  7. Andy

Does Alan Dershowitz feel the same way about the "selective prosecutions" that were undertaken by Spitzer?

Although I'd like to think that the law is above undertaking a quid pro quo, I think it would be reasonable for Dershowitz to acknowledge that he's being "victimized" by his own tactics.

March 11, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  8. Liz

A woman without an imagination? Is that why men stray? Why don't they just leave the marriage? No justification for staying in a marriage with Spiyzer's money and power except maybe this money and power. A clear case of wanting his cake and eating it too. Basically I don't care what he does or why, just can him for breaking the law and be done with him. Let him get down to the business of enjoying the prostitutes and whatever. I don't care no matter what you say.

9. Brenda

During the governor's travel where were his security team? Can we call them blind eyewitnesses?

10. Judy

Anderson, Isn't this just a case of duplicity on the part of Spitzer?
    No matter how you argue the case he lacked moral judgement and deceived both his wife and his constituency and that can not be tolerated.

11. cherie

Lisa Bloom is 200% right!! Allen Gershowitz has a very outdated point of view!!

12. Judy E.

I'm an older white lady voting for Obama because I like him and believe that he will do what he says! Deal with it.

13. Lilibeth

Kudos to Jeffrey Toobin for taking time out from Hawaii to say his piece! Gotta love Jeff...

14. Mary

Thank heaven for Prof. Dershowitz. In the midst of idiocy and arrogance (Lisa), Prof. Dershowitz is like a voice crying out in the desert.

15. deb in az

im in agreement with you lisa.........i cant understand why women do stay with these men..........i know a lot of people would say its for the family........but clearly this man was not thinking about his family at all when he was out solicting sex.........he clearly has no thought about his family what so ever..........

16. Angelina

I wonder, does anyone know why Obama withdrew himself from the Michigan ballot, but did not withdrew from the Florida ballot ?

America seems more divided than ever and such a 50/50 move certainly is no sign of decisiveness but rather calculative

17. Sophie

I don't agree with Alan Dershowitz opinions regarding prostitution but I do think he has a point about Spitzer being targeted in this investigation.......

18. Michael

Hillary is finished. She is desperate. She's throwing everything out there to Obama, in the hope that something will stick. I used to support her, but no more. Sh

19. Dayna Thomas

I think Ms Bloom's mouth is larger than her insight. Loud doesn't mean right. Her aggregious mind set . Alan seems to be 'on point' with each of his analysis of the situation. I do believe that an official's personal life is semi-off limits...keyword 'semi'. Behavior does give insight into the heart of a man. An a heart of a man is key to hiring that which has the best intentions. Not necessarily the best qualified. A good official has to have qualifications and character.

20. Leigh

Anderson is describing this story as "sad". It's "sad" for the wife and family, but it's pathetic, not sad, when someone chooses to have sex w/ a prostitute consistently. The media is sugar-coating this story.

21. ben

I like david gergen, a former clinton aid, alot too. He is one of the few objective comentators left and very smart. There are too many cheerleaders left in this race spewing out propaganda, i.e. jack cafferty for obama and that woman they have covering mccain who keeps talking about his bbq recipies. American journalists should take a que from their bbc counterparts, who showed what will happen if you go on to their show with a couple catch phrases like hope and change like Samantha Powers.

22. D

Wow. The last two days have changed my opinion of Dershowitz. While I respect him as an academic, he appears to be turning into a curmudgeon with delusional, conspiratorial views. It's a shame that a law professor considers the law a trifling matter. Anyway, as for his conspiracies, I'd hope a Democratic administration would pursue Spitzer this hard. Parties shouldn't be soft on illegality or hypocrisy in any case. Well, Hypocrisy is rampant in both parties. If Spitzer shows anything, it shows that. More reason for the apathy and disgust on the left and right.

March 11, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, Ohio

Jeff has surpassed his teacher! What part of illegal doesn't Dershowitz understand?

March 11, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  24. Catherine

Allan...
    Please, when have women EVER been expected to do more than STAND BY THEIR MEN... when their men are a complete embarassment!
    Shame on you!

March 11, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  25. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Client 9..I bet we are all subjected to a movie of the week on this story. You're right Anderson, a family and children are feeling the pain. And it's playing out in the media! A double kick in the stomach.

March 11, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  26. alma c

For what it's worth, the last thing Spitzer's wife deserves is to be put to judgment now. I'm sure she has enough to deal with without having to stand criticism from all us, too, who from the outside, have no way of knowing how she feels or why she does whatever she does.

Maybe one day we can discuss how these scandals affect the families, and how they deal with it and why. But really, some people need to give that woman a break right now.

March 11, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  27. Sheryl, IL

Lisa is right. Women need to stand up for themselves and not condone this behavior. Especially when you in public office. This is sending the wrong message to all women. By doing that they are saying it's okay to cheat and lie. It's the stand by your man approach. This is taking women back to the dark ages.

March 11, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  28. Dan E., Columbia, SC

Spitizer's arrogance may be the result of his spoiled upbringing as a child. He had every advantage and was probably given most of everything he wanted. Only now, he finds out that he can't have it both ways. Perhaps it was his subconcious wish to be corrected and normal like everyone else.

March 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  29. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

Anderson I appreciate the fact that you pointed out that there is a family involved and that this isn't an issue which can be just made a joke out of. I feel bad that the family has to be put through something so horrendous. I don't understand how a man, who even remotely loves his family, could hurt them by doing something so public and disgraceful.

March 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar

I love David Letterman took joke top ten about Eliot Spitzer.

March 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  31. regina in pa.

good for allen!!!...i wanted to tell lisa to mind her own business in the worst way.....
    I was an independent, informed, educated woman, when she was in diapers. i am of, not after, the 'burn your bra' generation...and she is simply over the top with herpreachy, judgmental crap...if gov. spitzer's wife is so cowed, what does this say about hillary standing by bill...i can't imagine anyone accusing hillary of being anything other than a bright, independent, educated woman wwho is quite capable of making decisions for herself....

March 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  32. Andrea

spitzer isn't getting in so much trouble for being with the or even paying for the prostitute. it is all how he paid. he paid just under the "let's check it out limit" so he didn't have to file paper work. in his state you have to do more work. he avoided this so no one would know. this is the illegality that he is getting in trouble for.

March 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  33. martha

Love the show. I'm a cnn junkie, but really, the Elliot Spitzer thing is being done to death. There is more going on in the world than him and the woman stand by your man angle is a meaningless alleged controversy.

March 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  34. Abram

Why didn't Spitzer just go to the Bunny Ranch in Vegas??? Would he still be in trouble???

March 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  35. STOOMZEE

All I want to know is will Spitzer say "I never had Sexual relations with that women" like Bill Clinton did?

March 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  36. thula

I think its sad to see women just standing there and obviously looking humiliated. I think these men are the ones that make mistakes and therefore should be able to go out and apologise to the public by themselves. For most of the times they just stand there and say nothing, I see no reason why they should be dragged into this public humiliation. That looks like oppression to me. Man should use their power wisely.

Thula
    London, Ontario

March 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  37. Molly

It is atrocious that I have not seen one "crawler" or "headline" on the bottom of the screen on CNN highlighting the racist remark that was made by someone in the Clinton campaign. What a double standard!!! The "headline" and crawlers were abuzz when Hillary was called a "monster", but a racist remark made by her campaign is ignored! I know now why CNN is considered the Clinton News Network! What a shame on you all!

MODERATOR: Anderson spent several minutes talking about the comments with Candy Crowley and a panel of guests in the 10p ET hour.

March 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  38. Mary

Lisa is wrong. She obviously does not know what it is to have a husband of many years and children to take into account. Initially she has to make it as easy as she can for the rest of her family. Later she can make the split.

March 11, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  39. Craig In Texas

Eliot should be glad he isn't married to a woman from Texas. As a public official I was reminded by my bride of 36 yrs that if I was to stray, the only way she would stand next to me would be by my casket after she shot me. Perhaps women in Texas have a different perspective on being a "Public Spouse"...

March 11, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  40. Karen, MS

Spitzer should have been standing making his announcement alone. With a Black eye and NO teeth. While his Wife and Children were off on vacation repairing their lives. Leaving him to deal with his stupidy alone. After all he made the decision to become a piece of dirt alone!!

March 11, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  41. James - IA

Did I miss something,, Spitzer committed a crime. I feel no pity for him and think he should not only resign, but get fully punished by the law to set an example for others pondering such nonsense. As for his wife standing by his side,, well I have to agree that women should not feel pressure to "stand by their man". I think I would have more respect for the wife who stood up to her own feelings and didn't stand by her man. At this moment in time, the last place she probably want to be,, is standing next to him.

My two cents,,
    James in IA

March 11, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  42. Krissy-CA

I am in agreement with Lisa! However, women do choose to stand by their cheating men. Like Anderson said, it does complicate things when children are involved! This is the same in private couples' homes, or public figures' cheating lifestyles. Lisa is right in that women should not be socially expected to stand by their men. If the roles are reversed, will husbands stand by their wives?

March 11, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  43. Wayne

John King mentioned some poll stats on White people in Mississippi who voted for Hillary not willing to support Barack if he wins the nomination.I think that is reflective of the deep seeded roots of Mississippi, not a consensus of most whites across America.

March 11, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  44. Micki

Obama's campaign likes to show the color view of the National map and say "look at how many more states we've won" (about 2 to 1). If they like looking at it that way why not break it down more and go state by state. A color view of the states shows you that Clinton has won more precincts than Obama by 4-6 to 1...

March 11, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  45. Nick Ethridge

I think the Democrats in Michigan and Florida need to deal with the fact that they chose to hold their primaries knowing that they would not be seated at the convention. For that reason, leave them out and please, Superdelegates, go with the candidate who has the most delegates at the conclusion of the final primary.

March 11, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  46. Tom F

What does a guy have to do to his wife before Derschowitz says its bad – brutally stab her to death? Oh, wait, even that doesn't stop him.

March 11, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  47. Johan, Sweden

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT ALLEN GUY?!?! how is he thinking?? is even thinking at all? Earlier tonight he compared prostitution with jaywalking, and this guy is supposed to be an expert?? SICK. Get Allen off the air NOW. The only thing he does is making stupid argument trying to save a friends ass!!

March 11, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  48. Saera El Paso, TX

I don't think yelling and talking over each other is necessary.... then again, strong opinions tend to come out strongly...

Anyway, i don't think Mrs. Spitzer could have done anything else. She does have children, and it's probably for the best that they don't grow up thinking they have to hate their father.

March 11, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  49. Canadian Political Science Student

Honestly, I really wish this woman would give up the feminist argument. I agree with Dershowitz (which is very difficult to admit to).... I dont think that the political women in these situations need to have it assumed that they didnt make the choice freely to outwardly support their significant other, and deal with private issues privately. It's none of the country's business how she feels and what will happen privately with their marriage and relationship. The country and the public needs to keep their noese out of women's choices and allow them to support publically their husbands and leave themselves free to deal with all of the other fall out in the comfort and privacy of their own homes.

March 11, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  50. skm

Alan Dershowitz – STOP DICTATING TO WOMEN! HERE IS ONE WOMAN voicing for other women.. and he thinks he can DICTATE TO HER!!

That guy is UNCIVL!!

AC – BAN HIM FROM THE SHOW FOREVER!!!!!!

March 11, 2008 at 11:15 pm |